My RX-178 Costume

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
kikin0083

My RX-178 Costume

Ok im almost done with this costume to view it go to my flicker account i have all my recent photos in there so far, also you can check them out on my facebook page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20533250@N05/

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1339778982
Last edited by kikin0083 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
iKhaotic

Re: My RX-178 Costume

that looks very nice! good luck with the rest of the project, keep this thread updated :D i can't wait to see the final product!

i really want to put the time and effort into making one of either the Double X, Strike Freedom, or V2 one of these days lol
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
kikin0083

iKhaotic wrote:that looks very nice! good luck with the rest of the project, keep this thread updated :D i can't wait to see the final product!

i really want to put the time and effort into making one of either the Double X, Strike Freedom, or V2 one of these days lol
Thanks alot, at the con i went to today i got some pretty good feedback bey a few con goers. i guess because all there was were naruto and bleach cosplayer. some girl pointed at me and yelled "hey look a transformer", arghhh! but yea ill post when ever i start on the rest of the costume. next is the shoulder and chest/back parts. and im going back to school this week so my process wont be as constant as the helmet.
kikin0083

Ok i added pics of the left shoulder, enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20533250@N05/?saved=1
iKhaotic

looks spot on! and lol at the Transformers comment, it's to be expected these days. not many people know what Gundam is anymore and any mech they see they will instantly relate to Transformers :(

what material are you using if you don't mind me asking?
kikin0083

iKhaotic wrote:looks spot on! and lol at the Transformers comment, it's to be expected these days. not many people know what Gundam is anymore and any mech they see they will instantly relate to Transformers :(

what material are you using if you don't mind me asking?
i dont mind, im using sheets of foam that i purchased at michaels. theres two type of thickness and i used a red and yellow glossy folders from walmart. and i used a white gloss acrylic paint also from walmart, it doesnt have heavy chemicals like house spray paint because that will actually melt the foam. for the head part i used this military helmet made out of foam thats like a kid helmet, also from michaels but those were seasonal items and they have them on clearance. it was hard trying to find one that wasnt bend too much.

i glue them together with "liquid stitch" from walmart it bonds strong and quick, but i might get something from michaels that is stronger and its specifically made for bonding foam materials.
kikin0083

alrighty then, i finally had time to continue on my costume. i just finished doing the breast plate, i just taped it to get all the foam parts together and plan to glue them later today. tell me what you guys think so far. :D

iKhaotic

hmmm, it's a little hard to tell since it's still in the beginning stages, but from what i can see, it looks pretty spot on. keep up the awesome work! :)
kikin0083

iKhaotic wrote:hmmm, it's a little hard to tell since it's still in the beginning stages, but from what i can see, it looks pretty spot on. keep up the awesome work! :)
yea im having trouble what glue works best for foam, but im hoping to finish this part by this sunday and have the yellow vents and red cockpit hatch so you can get a better idea on how it looks. :)
iKhaotic

it's sad that i'm the only person interested in this lol. it's such a cool project too
kikin0083

[quote="iKhaotic"]it's sad that i'm the only person interested in this lol. it's such a cool project too[/quote

lol, yea i was like "why isnt anybody else commenting on it, its not everyday you see a gundam costume in the making" :D but your input is gladly appreciated thanks for your support. :D
iKhaotic

no problem.

and yup, you never see an actual Gundam cosplay at an anime convention. hell, i don't even see Gundam cosplay at all in any form. since i'm too lazy and unskilled to make one of these actual Gundam costumes, i may just cosplay as a Zaft Red member from SEED/Destiny one of these days lol.
kikin0083

lol yea i see alot of those when there posted on animenewsnetwork that and maybe a char here and there.
duke4799

I have seen pictures on the net of some VERY nicely made suits of a Gouf, it looked about as close as you can get to the "real" thing.

That being said, I can't find those pics anymore, I think it was actually done in a group of four different MS costumes and the pictures looked like they were featured in a magazine, as they had a very nice backdrop and professional feel to them.

This project here though, is awesome! I LOVE that you used a shiny folder for the outside of the v-fin. the head proportions look really good. I also like the shape the chest portion is taking on. Keep up the good work! I can't wait for this to be completed.
Until Next Time: Happy Building!
-Joe
Joe's Gunpla

Want to Buy LM Leo or Taurus from Gundam Wing, built or unbuilt! Willing to pay big!
kikin0083

almost done with right arm and chest piece hopefully ill finish up this week to post pics online. the hardest part that's gonna take time to built are the shoulder pieces, im trying to find ways to attach them to my shoulder. :D
iKhaotic

i'm thinking elastic straps? i think that's what they're called. make a small hole or something on the inside of the shoulder piece where it won't be visible from the outside. then attach the strap into the holes, finally just slide your arm through the hole in the strap. have it tight enough to stick to your shoulders without it being too uncomfortable.

hope that suggestion works! :)
kikin0083

yea im gonna try that thanks, but unfortunately micheals is taking their sweet time to restock on more foam material. hopefully on monday i can start were i left off. i know for sure its gonna take me a while to make the leg pieces since they are more intricate design than like the arms and require much more foam sheets. about the feet, i thinking of making them into two pieces such as the front part of the foot and then the back like the heel just like the parts move in a gunpla and put them like a shield piece to my shoe that way i can walk normally and not like a zombie. i got like less than two months to built it for the con im going to, i hope they dont give me trouble about the beam saber im making too.
kikin0083

woo hoo i did alot this past weekend check it out im so excited that ill be able to pull it off
:o
wraith1701

kikin0083 wrote:woo hoo i did alot this past weekend check it out im so excited that ill be able to pull it off
:o
Looking pretty cool, dude! :D
iKhaotic

is it just me or are the shoulder pads a bit large?. otherwise it looks amazing!