Ep. 058 - Gorram! @ MAHQ

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 058 - Gorram! @ MAHQ

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 058 - "Gorram! @ MAHQ"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 152 min., 39 sec. (2:32:39) - 69.9 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:26:00

03. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:26:00 - 0:27:09

04. 1st Segment: "Series Spotlight: 'Firefly - The Complete Series"
Runtime: 0:27:09 - 1:56:20

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:56:20 - 1:57:09

06. 2nd Segment: "Cinema Spotlight: 'Serenity"
Runtime: 1:57:09 - 2:26:33

07. Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios (YouTube Channel)
Runtime: 2:26:33 - 2:27:34

08. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:27:34 - 2:32:39

Browncoats, unite! In this episode, we have a spirited discussion, spotlighting Joss Whedon's short-lived yet groundbreaking space western TV series, "Firefly" & the epic cinematic follow-up, "Serenity"!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Amuro Ray of v

Re: Ep. 058 - Gorram! @ MAHQ

I am downloading right now. I can't wait, should be good.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
phillosmaster

Firefly = Awesome

Great discussion guys. The great thing about Firefly (for me at least) is that I can pull it out and rewatch it every now and again and not get tired of it (Cowboy Bebop is the same way for me). Sure I do this because the story and characters are strong, but it's also easy to do because it's not that long. Rewatching the series isn't intimidating because of the length (which you guy alluded to in your discussion). In that sense being such a short series is actually a strength. I might just pull it out and rewatch it in honor of this podcast.

Being a browncoat was frustrating for a long time until we got the movie. It always upset me that the sci fi channel didn't pick up the series for renewal. I can't imagine it would have been that hard (it didn't seem like Fox was too interested in protecting that IP). You can count on the sci fi channel to disappoint :) ... well except for Battlestar, which was a rare moment of genius. I use to have the Serenity as my wall paper on my work computer. I always loved when people came by to ask me about it. I won alot of converts that way.

I think Firefly caught on with non sci fi fans because it never really focused on the tech or lore too much. Being a mechanic on a spaceship for example was akin to be a automotive mechanic it seemed. You could have relocated the series to a contemporary setting and remove all the sci fi elements without too much effort and you wouldn't have lost all that much. In that way I mean that it's a very relatable story, and it doesn't have that normal sci fi barrier of entry (for example no one mentions tachyons IIRC).

Watching Firefly, I couldn't help but notice the similarities to the architecture of the show and the architecture of the RPG Traveler (the PnP game from the 70s) to the point where I do wonder if Whedon used it as inspiration for setting up the characters and the premise. He's a well known comic fan. It's not unreasonable for him also to be an RPG fan I suppose.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
eanetdude

"Street ... Fighter!" Love it. Bravo to whoever was impersonating Soul Bro.
Mu La Flaga

An interesting episode, Firefly has been on of those series which has interested me but never seen it.
And I have seen Serenity a few times, the movie also interested me and the Reapers/Reavers?
They always seemed like smarter, deadlier zombies you could potentially find in space :P

So considering it comes highly recommended I may look in to the series sometime.
Vent Noir

I'm about 40% of the way through this.

To my shame, Firefly is still sitting in my to-watch pile (I've only gotten around to watching the first two episodes, plus Serenity... which is weird, given that I'm a huge Buffy/Angel fan)

The discussion on Gundam's theme of mutual understanding made me remember one comment I saw once about the fact that in Char's Counterattack, the reason Amuro and Char were at each other's throats was precisely because they understood each other so well, which... rather undercuts the notion that understanding will necessarily result in peace, doesn't it?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Wingnut

Never watched either of them myself. Don't know if I will either.
On the episode editing front, I think you unintentionally slammed one of the commericials. The MSG Abridged ad ends with something like "Check it out at this address". Then the next thing you hear is "Let us do no such Gundamn thing!" Oops?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Soul Bro Ryu

Wingnut wrote:Never watched either of them myself. Don't know if I will either.
On the episode editing front, I think you unintentionally slammed one of the commericials. The MSG Abridged ad ends with something like "Check it out at this address". Then the next thing you hear is "Let us do no such Gundamn thing!" Oops?
LMAO! Listening to it, it kind of sounds like that, but in all truth, there was no intention there. I'll have to be mindful where I place that Picard sounder from now on ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
speedstriker

Here I thought the entire opening post was going to be STREET FIGHTER STREET FIGHTER STREEEEEEEET FIGH FIGHTER!!

I can't say much about Firefly since I haven't seen it yet, but I definitely look forward to watching it after this episode. Thanks for featuring it.
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
Vent Noir

Listened to the entire thing now.

My only complaint is you didn't use "Big GUNDAMN! Heroes" as a quote.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
snoops619

eanetdude wrote:"Street ... Fighter!" Love it. Bravo to whoever was impersonating Soul Bro.
I believe that is the man of a thousand aliases himself, BoiWonder. Good to here from him, even if it's not on his own podcast.

Great show as always guys. I've never seen either of these but I have been debating whether or not to bother and listening to you guys talking about it with such passion has convinced me to seek it out.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
jabman025

Great show guys the opening bit with Soul Bro saying "Street Fighter" was funny as hell.

I thought that the question from the the mail bag was kind of interesting. I always thought the whole "newtype = complete understanding" was one of the great overarching themes of gundam. Even when two newtypes met and compelte understanding was achieved (Lala vs Amuro, Kamille vs. Haman, Haman vs. Judo, or even Uso vs. Katajina) did not necessarily lead to peace. Which begs the question if everyone became newtypes and could fully understand each other, would anything really change in terms of war? I think the idea has stagnated over the years but calling it a crutch is a bit much.

As for Firefly and Serenity, I enjoyed the seires but I found it above average at best. I do find it intresting that some of my freinds and family who are causal sci fi fans enjoyed it much more than I did. I never really thoght of it but there are a bunch of similaries between Firefly and Outlaw Star. Don't know why I didn't put 2 and 2 together in on that one. Either way for my money I would still rather watch Outlaw Star.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
The Fowl Sorcerous

great episode. I do loves me some firefly. how much? well there is a brown coat in my closet.
The discussion on Gundam's theme of mutual understanding made me remember one comment I saw once about the fact that in Char's Counterattack, the reason Amuro and Char were at each other's throats was precisely because they understood each other so well, which... rather undercuts the notion that understanding will necessarily result in peace, doesn't it?
Just because you understand doesn't mean you agree. Looking over CCA you can interpret a lot of char's actions as baiting him into a final conflict. Char is trying to change the world drastically, but he really only has two skills: manipulating people and blowing stuff up (and fear, and surprise, and nice red uniforms...we'll start again), the way I view the situation is either he succeeds and changes the world or Amuro stops him and the rest of humanity unites behind him in the effort.
[[lorem ipsum]]
MrVince

Great episode. I was a Joss Whedon fan at least with Buffy and Angel until he decided Willow needed to become a witch. I started to feel he gave way to "design by fan committee" decisions. That made me apprehensive about watching Firefly. However, your review has made me think this is a series worth trying.

There were a few times phrases to the effect of "ahead of it's time (for US TV)" for was thrown out. Based on the descriptions provided in this episode, I'd throw out Farscape as another sci fi series "ahead of it's time" for US TV. Like Firefly, it's a very character-driven show which has a mixed bag of characters in its crew. However, unlike Firefly it was able to last beyond an initial season so the story was able to develop a bit more.

I'm curious if the Gundamn! cast has watched this series.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

I haven't seen Farscape. Can't say if Chris has and if its a good series Soul Bro will probably seen in a couple of years and then rave about it.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Dollow

I have the whole show, but I have not seen the whole thing, so lets lighten up on SBR. I like the movie lot, I saw it again on SYFI a few days ago and I remembered why I liked it, to me it look like a movie made from the late 90s, and I love movies that have that feel to me.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
NastyNate

Great episode guys.

I agree with neo when he said that watching the serinity movie is one thing and then later watching the series and the movie is another. I too watched the movie first and liked it and then enjoyed it even more the secound go round.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
skyknight

Boy, will I ever catch up with the podcast!?

Firefly and Serenity, those were really UNDER-rate sci-fi titles. OK, first I gotta confess, I never loved Buffy or Angel (& I like Alyson Hannigan >>> Sarah Michelle Gellar), I didn't bother to watch Firefly based off on Whedon's previous works, and I was focused on 24 at the time. But for some strange reasons, I wanted to see Serenity (on DVD), and I was hooked on it, and bought the entire series on DVD, and it stands as one of my favorite sci-fi series.

And like Buffy and Angel, the characters and storyline are very unique. Like the plot ep. (not the train robbery!), most would assume that Simon was the agent, as he had a cool and low-key appearance, something that cookie-cut villains would be; but it turns the goofbag was the agent despite his clumsily showing (and he later took some cheap-shots at Shepherd). I would caution labeling Inara as a hooker/whore, as she clearly stated that she is a courtesan, one that has artistic talents not just to satisfy mere lust/flesh needs. In Jaynetown ep. she was taking time to work with the mayor's son (the father want her to pop the son's cherry ASAP!) and she did a G.W.G. in War Stories that included a pre-massage. I think the main reasons that the series attract many followers is the causal environment, where it doesn't try to be dramatic (like Star Wars!), and let the characters work.

You can see the influences from Outlaw Star (will that be feature later?) with its mixed culture and the NAKED girl in the box, and I do think StarCraft II was influence by Firefly, like a train robbery mission, and deeper character traits for Jim Raynor that closely resembles Mel Reynolds.

Not to rub in some old dirt, but for an ABC like me, I gotta say the most glaring failure of the Firefly series is the lack of (real!) Asian characters, given the setting of its universe, you would expect to see some Asians, or mixed-race people. I don't know if Simon and River were originally conceived as mixed-race children, concerning that the family name is Tam, which was usually a Cantonese Chinese family name. And in Serenity, we do see Mr. Universe expresses his Jewish heritage fully, IIRC, and even refers to Judas right before he is killed by the Operative, "where's my thirty gold (or silver)?" I'll stop there.

At the end, I did notice that Chris mentioned a review for Persona Trinity, but I couldn't find it. I am curious to look at it, as I am fan of the MegaTen series.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Vent Noir

Well, when my computer crashed, I finally managed to get around to watching the gorram show!

I'll get around to posting my thoughts once I've finished taking care of some other stuff.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter