Ep. 056 - Aim For the Top, Pedobuster!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
raijinz

Re: Ep. 056 - Aim For the Top, Pedobuster!

raijinz here! To be honest, I had posted my question about race in mecha shows a while back, but I had kind of lost hope that the guys would discuss it on the show.

Imagine my surprise when I was listening to the latest episode of Gundamn on my mp3 player on the bus, and heard my question being discussed! A huge smile crept across my face!

I had to make quite an effort not to laugh out loud on the bus, as I was sure that would draw a lot of attention to myself!

I want to thank Chris, Neo and the legendary Soul Bro Ryu for once again giving such an informed and hilarious discussion about such an interesting topic, that even developed beyond itself into even how other countries deal with their portrayal of ethnic minorities.

As a black guy living in the UK that is a fan of anime, I almost consider myself a minority WITHIN an minority because I haven't met many other guys like me. One of my few joys in life is listening to the Gundamn podcast.

You guys are brilliant as always, and I hope you continue to be so. And a quick "good luck" to Soul Bro on his upcoming wedding!

And as a parting gift, let me give you all another cool intro:

"You're listening to the show that hits harder than a Daedalus Attack! Gundamn at MAHQ!"
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
yazi88

I'm kinda surprised that Chris and Neo didn't mention probably one of the coolest and probably one of few black guys in mecha anime that are main characters, Tap Oseano from Dragonar. Also was Terry Sanders from 8th MS team a black guy? He did have dreads and he did seem tanned so I can't really tell.
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

I don't know where to post this, so I think it's a good idea if I post it here:
So, I just saw the most recent updates of gundamnmahq.blogspot.com with the great mention that SoulBro gave us. I don't know how many time I can thank you...
Thank you so much for taking your precious time and listening to the funniest podcast that I have ever registered. As you can ALL see, my french accent is very noticeable, but keep in my mind that I am a "Québécois" and I'm trying to do my best when it comes to hosting this podcast. Anyway, thank you SoulBro and people, check us out at: http://thedddcast.blogspot.com/

BTW: Sorry for my butchering of the english language :mrgreen:

Your honorable host of the D.D.D. Podcast, TheSuspiciousRedLamp (aka XD)
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

yazi88 wrote:I'm kinda surprised that Chris and Neo didn't mention probably one of the coolest and probably one of few black guys in mecha anime that are main characters, Tap Oseano from Dragonar. Also was Terry Sanders from 8th MS team a black guy? He did have dreads and he did seem tanned so I can't really tell.

Oh man, can't believe we forgot about Tap and Sanders! Dang! Thanks a lot.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Chibi_Exia

Wow...just listened to this episode and I never thought I would hear the meet between the bears..its the biggest thing since the driving of the last spike on the continental railroad :D , great job guys!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Chibi_Exia wrote:Wow...just listened to this episode and I never thought I would hear the meet between the bears..its the biggest thing since the driving of the last spike on the continental railroad :D , great job guys!
Too bad there wasn't any pictures, but with that much pedo bearness they probably wouldn't have come out.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Red Comet90

Great episode guys. This gattai was way too funny. A shame that the recording equipment couldn't handle all the awesome. :lol:

Onto GunBuster and DaiBuster. I watched GunBuster knowing that Gurren Lagann was heavily influenced by it and heard about the infamous last episode which was all in Black and White. I was honestly disappointed by this show. I didn't feel anything for Noriko and she just came off as the typical bumbling girl who can't do anything and for some reason or another is capable of saving the world. It didn't come off to me as something great or fantastic. The first 3 episodes bored me....it felt like filler that was filled with cat fights...I will say though that the animation is FANTASTIC to this day just like how DYRL is. The GunBuster has to be one of the coolest Super Robots ever made as well. Aesthetic wise the show is awesome, but other than that I felt all the characterization was rushed. I didn't really feel anything at the end. It was too cheesy...especially considering how dark that last episode is.

I never watched DaiBuster since I didn't care much for GunBuster, but it sounds interesting since it segways its way into the original GunBuster. I'm glad it was spoiled. It actually makes me want to watch this. :mrgreen:

And if the east, west, south and north pedobears met I think a Super PedoBuster would be created in a blinding light rivaling the power of the GunBuster 3. It would be the end of the world as we know. :lol:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
skyknight

Wow, instead of East meets West, we have pedobears from the north and south united! Well at least the world didn't end,

for now.

The opening question was a good one, my bro whom visited Japan a couple years ago, did feel the xenophobia from the Japanese people, even though he and his friends are also Asian descent.

But I do say Japan is at crossroads when it comes to race and nationality. In military and sci-fi, we may see "darker skin" characters as be close to the real world, i.e. Sanders from 08th MS Team, the representative of various nationalities in Planetes. And in other cases, like Victorian European, darker skin maybe seen as exotic, such as Villetta Nu from Code Geass. And I think it does have to do with the population in Japan.

And nationalism does sometimes play a role, though I wouldn't be able to comment on that.

As for Gunbuster and Diebuster, since I haven't seen it, I won't comment on that. But I'll take note of it, and see if I can find time to watch it from Netflix.

And Soul Bro, get the PS3 already! You can go ahead and play Solid Snake or create a level for Sackboy or find someone to beat down on SSSFI HD, MvC, BlazeBlu, SSF IV...
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
mobiusdiablo

After I heard this podcast, I finally decided to give Gunbuster a shot. Not that I hate old animation (contrary to popular belief, there IS a difference from old and crappy animation), but the sight of the exercising mechs (what are they called?) just turned me off the first time.

So I watch it, and sure enough, you guys are right, Gunbuster IS a good-, no , great show, and I sat through all six episodes today, and it felt like the show didn't miss a beat. Even with the supposedly-infamous "black & white" episode, it really didn't phase me much; on the contrary, some parts of it were likely better suited for this method.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Wingnut

mobiusdiablo wrote:but the sight of the exercising mechs (what are they called?) just turned me off the first time.
They are known as RX-7s
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Amuro Ray of v

I have been meaning to comment on this for a while, as a edit, Soul Bro I think you great job editing this, editing a show together, that is easy, editing a show together with a lot of problems, that takes really skill.

Great job keep up the good work.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
mobiusdiablo

Sounds a lot like a failure of a Federation Mobile Suit to me...
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Mu La Flaga

On a relisten of this episode.
Neo and Chris squabbling over Auska and Jung was rather funny hehe.
Something I noticed on a rewatch.
hawk of endymion

Mu La Flaga wrote:On a relisten of this episode.
Neo and Chris squabbling over Auska and Jung was rather funny hehe.
Something I noticed on a rewatch.

We were? What we squabbling about?

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

At one point
Chris basically said.
"Hey don't you dare call Jung Freud a proto-Auska, because Auska is such a useless, horrid person, who doesn't relate to Auska "

You said.
"Bite your frickin tongue you bastard, Auska is my boon, she is the only thing gives me satisfaction out of Evangelion"

That was it.
Normally you and Chris gang up on Soul Bro, but this time it had you at odds with Chris for a little bit.
hawk of endymion

Mu La Flaga wrote:At one point
Chris basically said.
"Hey don't you dare call Jung Freud a proto-Auska, because Auska is such a useless, horrid person, who doesn't relate to Auska "

You said.
"Bite your frickin tongue you bastard, Auska is my boon, she is the only thing gives me satisfaction out of Evangelion"

That was it.
Normally you and Chris gang up on Soul Bro, but this time it had you at odds with Chris for a little bit.
Oh ok, now I remember. Gotta protect Auska, she's my favorite part of Eva. Too much troll hate on her.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

On a new topic related note :P
I recently(as in the last few hours of this post)
I watched all of Gunbuster I ended up enjoying it alot, it's pretty good if want to see a little more in depth look for it in the anime watching thread.

Also on a note to Destiny Gundam, I do not rate Gunbuster above GaoGaiGar FINAL and I think one of the only reasons Destiny Gundam did was because lack of loli fanservice as Neo theorized.
Gunbuster ranks highly for what it is, but comparing it to GaoGaiGar FINAl it doesn't match up evenly to begin with is my critsism.
Namely GaoGaiGar had a 50 or so episode series then FINAL.

Anyways those are my thoughts.
hawk of endymion

You're right, it's hard to say what's better Final or Gunbuster, especially when you need Gaogaigar as a basis for Final.

But, I can guarantee both will entertain you.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

I've seen both I rank FINAL higher then Gunbuster they are very close.

The thing is I know Peter thinks good of it for Noriko.
But GaoGaiGar FINAL has some moments that are hard to top.

1.Genesic GaoGaiGar
2.GaoFighGar
3.Most of the episodes, the quiet periods when most of the heroes were down was when it went dull for like 1 episode
4.The crowning moment which gives it a huge edge to me is Goldion Crusher, no denying how awesome that Giant spaceship comprised hammer is.
The series itself was pretty good, especially the Primevil ark/2nd half of the series.