Ep. 040 - This Budweiser Missile's For You!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 040 - This Budweiser Missile's For You!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 040 - "This Budweiser Missile's For You!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 80 min., 01 sec. (1:20:01) - 36.6 MB

Special Guest Panelist: Mitsugi of Anime Addicts Anonymous (Seg. 2)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:16:21

03. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:16:21 - 0:17:51

04. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:17:51 - 0:18:26

05. 1st Segment: "Macross Round-up - Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? & Flashback 2012"
Runtime: 0:18:26 - 0:44:32

06. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:44:32 - 0:45:22

07. 2nd Segment "Sci-Fi Horror in Anime"
Runtime: 0:45:22 - 1:12:53

08. Next time on Gundamn! @ MAHQ: "Macross II: Lovers Again"
Runtime: 1:12:53 - 1:14:31

09. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:14:31 - 1:20:01

Just in time for Halloween, we brave the cross-genres of Science Fiction & Horror and it representation in Anime, guided by our friend and special guest, Mitsugi (from Anime Addicts Anonymous). Before that however, Macross Round-up continues as we hit you with at double feature this time; the film version of the original series, "Do You Remember Love?" and the OVA & musical epilogue to SDF Macross, "Flashback 2012"!

BTW, Gundamn! is coming at you from all sides! Both hosts Chris Guanche & Paul Duprey ("Neo") recently made appearances on these podcasts below!

Chris Guanche
Podcast: Solar Radio Wave
Episode: Solar Five - Troll Wars
Date: 09/28/09
iTunes: itpc://mevio.com/feeds/solarradiowavepodcast.xml

Paul Duprey ("Neo Lorrnoke"):
Podcast: Anime Addicts Anonymous
Episode: Ep. 13 - The Gundamn! @ MAHQ Episode!
Date: 10/8/09
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =324698394

Much thanks and appreciation go to Dollow Rlance of Solar Radio Wave & Mitsugi and the gang from Anime Addicts Anonymous for having us on. Also, mad props are in order for Mitsugi, participating in this recording as well! Make sure to check out their other episodes of their podcasts, and let them know that "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" sent you!

P.S.: For a complete record of our past and upcoming appearances on other shows, visit this thread.

Thanks for listening and for the feedback!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Solar Radio Wave

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
VentZX

Re: Ep. 040 - This Budweiser Missle's For You!

Ha, another great episode. Neo though, you dropped the ball. When Chris made the Teabagger comment at the end, what you should have said was: "Uh, that put a bad taste in my mouth."

But in all seriousness, DYRL is a beautiful movie. One of my favorites of all time. Pretty much agreed with you guys on all points, I really did like the way Minmay was portrayed in DYRL, and Hikaru really did leave a better impression here as well.

Now, I didn't particularly care much for Roy's death in the movie, as opposed to the tv version, but it was understandable within the time constraints, and I can see the want to make it more "dramatic"
hotlimit

There was a part in Destiny where they went into some coordinator experiment lab and they had all those body parts in jars. I think there was a similar 'failed clone lab' thing from Seed, but I don't remember. I do remember that it scared the heck out of me!
Vent Noir

The final attack run in DYRL has got to be one of the greatest musical sequences in anime (although IMHO the finale of Macross Frontier managed to surpass it).

I don't generally handle horror well, but I was disappointed that Iczer-One didn't get a mention in the sci-fi horror segment - that was one of the first anime I ever saw, and a very memorable one... the creatures infecting people like in Alien are a still fresh in my mind. Plus, it had mecha in it! (incidentally, one of the first, if not THE first, organically-based mecha) It really did a great job of balancing the horror, action, and mecha elements (plus shoujo-ai, which is a bonus for me). If you haven't seen it, I highly reccomend you try and track it down.

The sequels mostly discarded the horror element, but Iczer-3 was still enjoyable. Iczelion... not so much, although it did have some cool moments.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
CanadaMan

The trailer for Pandorum makes me think about a Dead Space live-action movie.

I essentially walked into DYRL blind, having never been able to watch the original series. About the only thing that saved me was watching Plus, some of 7 and Frontier. I do need to find the original Macross though, I'd like to compare them for myself.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
The Fowl Sorcerous

cool ep, you guys really make one to track down some and watch these macross series.

Pandorum isn't all that good, but it reminds of the reavers from Firefly, which makes me happy to remember a great show, but made that this movie is no where near as good.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Amuro Ray of v

This EP was done very well. It was great to finally hear DYRL and hear your ideas about the movie and the differences between the show and the movie itself. Neo, I laugh so hard when you mentioned the Boogieman. "There is he is! There is the Boogieman!" LOL~LOL, I laugh now as I am writing this.

When it comes to Gundam Seed, there is a something that should be noted in terms of horror and fear. The whole thing about the Naturals and the Coordinators. The Naturals fear that they are "outdated" as Coordinators are better in almost everything. You could say that people when it comes to Controling DNA, the one not part of that group feel fear that they are going to be out match and be taken over be the other who move forward. Its like the Newtypes of UC.

I look forward to the next EP and I like the Guest Host we had. Good work, keep it up.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
TakaTahuNuva

Horror in mecha shows - I have to mention Getter Robo Armageddon here. The first three episodes in particular had all sorts of creepy stuff. And the monster designs... just woah.
ohhhh snap
skyknight

Re: Ep. 040 - This Budweiser Missile's For You!

Another Macross EP that I have some bits of memories of, I'm pretty sure I saw the bootleg version of DYRL from my cousins while I was living in Taiwan, and yes, I do have some memories of Minmay's shower scene (you're not alone, Soul Bro)!

And not to make a fuss about it, again, for this thread, I REALLY wish that all Macross series will be licensed in North America.

A job interview that requires gunpla building skills??? SIGN ME UP!

Nah, that ain't happening here in the US. However in Planetes, towards the end, one of the test for choosing crew for the Jupiter exploration, was actually asking four members to build a model kit that was micro scale of the spaceship!

Sci-fi horror in anime, golly, that ain't easy to say as it is.

Fear is the center of all horror elements, it can be the things that you aren't expecting or unprepared for, or the things that really disgust you. I have to say the element of horror is present in most films and anime, from East to West; it is the magnitude of horror that separates from being pleasant to uncomfortable.

Darker than Black did have some horror elements, but that got tone down as the series went further into hidden conspiracy. But there are plenty of the "unknown" factors in most eps, as you have to guess what happen in-between the story transition for each arc.

SEED/Destiny's dark themes has more to do with human experiments taken to the extreme without regards for morals and ethics, causing an expanding rift between Naturals and Coordinators. And in both series, we do see the lost of humanity on both sides of EA and ZAFT.

Wicked City, saw bits of the animation and the entire Hong Kong film version, very dark and very disturbing MUST STOP NOW!

I'll tune-in for the next ep!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Vent Noir

One thing I forgot to mention - you brought up where Iria fitted in relation to the live-action Zeiram movies. IIRC, it's a prequel. (EDIT: i.e. the anime is a prequel to the live-action movies.
Last edited by Vent Noir on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Kaioshin Sama

I can't believe you guys forgot the Devil Gundam as an example of a horror element in G Gundam. This initially unknown monster hiding under the Japan that is terrorizing the populace with it's zombie pilots and Devil Gundam corps and has people holed up in a public building fearing for their lives and eventually moves on to terrorizing everything. It's the source of just about every main characters misery and worst nightmares too.

As for one comment you made about Minmay having as great a cultural impact as Char Aznable, I think that has more to do with the popularity of idol pop stars in Japanese culture in general (which predate Minmay as well) that make them appear quite frequently in anime and in some cases now vice versa. Minmay is parodied a lot, but I don't think it was her specifically or any other character that brought pop idols into the whole anime scene.

The Troll Wars segment on the Solar Radio Wave podcast brought back some unfortunate memories. Basically I've adopted a zero tolerance no mercy attitude towards anyone I know is trolling or being unreasonably unfair and biased towards a given show as a result of having to deal with them so often in the past as a Gundam 00 and Code Geass fan. I think I actually actively dislike people that go into a show with every intent to bash it and never say anything good about it the most out of any class of troll. I mean even for the shows that I'm tough on and extremely critical of I have always made sure to set aside some time to discuss what I actually did find good so it can't be that hard unless you're trolling and just taking a purely malicious stance towards something.
Amuro Ray of v

I listened to the podcast again, and I have other comment. About the few comments about DotHack, PK in the series did not really have an impact until DotHack//Roots, and the girl never had the "spear', the DotHack series was more about your friends ending up in a coam and their friends afaid they will never wake up and they don't know how or why they ended up like that.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
Red Comet90

Another great episode. DYRL is a great movie and I honestly wish Mecha anime movies these days would look as good as that movie does. The dark coloring and the extreme detail put into each scene is just breathtaking. Its a great watch.

Horror Segment was funny and interesting, but Elfen Lied wasn't so eight year oldish after the first 15 minutes. I felt it was humanizing the diclonians just a bit by showing they could act human and that they weren't just animalistic killing machines as the first half of the 1st episode wishes to portray. That's just me though.

I'm kinda surprised G Gundam wasn't brought up for the horror segment. The Devil Army was pretty creepy at times as was the Dark Colony.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Hyakushiki

I listened to the segment on Horror in sci fi anime and you Memories, one story from may qualify as well, the one about the poor salariman that unknowingly becomes a walking biological weapon. Though it's meant to be more satire than horror if played seriously the story is pretty frightening.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
V2Buster

I would just like to add that I actually learned English from the Hong Kong dubs of DYRL and Project A-ko.
jcncasval76

When we are talking about Hong Kong, please loosen the term "British Protector" a bit in future discussion for this reason: The First Opium War in 1840-41. The background of Hong Kong's colonial days began with that war, with the British Empire retaliated against the banning of opium trading in Hong Kong, Macao, and Guangzhou (Canton) just months prior by instigating a war against the weakened naval force of the Qing Dynasty. Even though the British Navy couldn't break down the defenses in Hong Kong, same could not be said about the northern part of China's coastline. Tianjian was crushed rather easily and forced the Qing government into giving up Hong Kong island and Kowloon Pennisula soon after. The size of Hong Kong then got doubled after the Second Opium War with territories beyond Kowloon and the nearby islands, thus became part of the new colony which is now called Hong Kong. I should know since I was born and raised there before emigrated to this country (United States) in June 1989 (just about 4 weeks after the Tiananmen Square jibbish).
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
JayC

It is a very good episode for the further clearer and spectacular performance. The staffs have really located a way so the viewers can relate to them. It is indeed a good system for the scene.
online Budweiser