Ep. 056 - Aim For the Top, Pedobuster!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 056 - Aim For the Top, Pedobuster!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 056 - "Aim For the Top, Pedobuster!"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 142 min., 53 sec. (2:22:53) - 65.4 MB

Special Guest Hosts: Pedro Cortes of Tomopop.com & Destiny_Gundam!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:36:42

03. Solar Radio Wave (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:36:42 - 0:37:12

04. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:37:12 - 0:37:39

05. 1st Segment: "Anime Spotlight: 'Aim For The Top! - Gunbuster'" (1988)
Runtime: 0:37:39 - 1:29:19

06. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:29:19 - 1:30:11

07. 2nd Segment "Anime Spotlight: 'Aim For The Top 2! - Diebuster'" (2004)
Runtime: 1:30:11 - 2:14:02

08. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 2:14:02 - 2:14:37

09. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:14:37 - 2:16:07

10. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:16:07 - 2:22:53

This time we're bringing you a Double Buster Feature! In this episode of Gundamn, the Anime Spotlight shines on the legendary Gainax OVA "Gunbuster" as well as it's sequel, "Daibuster"! What more monumental is that were joined by both Destiny Gundam of Mechatalk.net & Pedro Cortes of Tomopop.com! Listen as the "Pedobear of the North" clashes with the "Pedobear of the South", then set aside to join together in a "Pedobuster Gattai" of epic proportions and moe...-ness! "Lolicon Kicku!!!"

Also don't miss the latest episode of Solar Radio Wave, where Gundamn's own Neo Lorrnoke is in the guest host's chair, giving his review of Samurai 7! Much thanks to Dollow Rlance for inviting Neo on the show!
Peep the website: http://solarradiowavepodcast.blogspot.c ... rai-7.html

If you're on Facebook, join our group!:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=135900999756623

Finally, Shinjuku Station Fight Tube is Live! Check it out & Subscribe!
http://www.YouTube.com/ShinStationFightTube

EDITOR'S NOTE: Apparently, the merging of these DFC-aficionados was too much for our recording equipment to bear, as we experienced some technical difficulties during this session. Most of the anomalies in the recording were either edited around or replaced with the source audio that Chris, Neo, and I recorded as backup. However, portions of Destiny Gundam & Pedro's audio in the latter part of the second segment were garbled due to internet issues during recording. As you'll hear Neo mention, there was a really bad storm at the time we taped and it wasn't until editing that the distortion was discovered. My apologies go out to Peter & especially Pedro (being that most of his review of Diebuster didn't make it in tact, but I salvaged what I could) for the mishap. Thank you both for being on, however, and I'll take precautions next time to make sure this doesn't happen when we do this again. ^_^

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
phillosmaster

Re: Ep. 056 - Aim For the Top, Pedobuster!

Awesome. I was hoping you guys would get around to talking about the Gunbuster series.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Wingnut

Very nice coverage in spite of the technical problems to to the elements. Also on the list of black characters in anime, you forgot one major one as many often do. Tapp Oceano, pilot of the Dragonar Guncannon (D-2). He's also one of the three leads of the show so that's a high spot to play even if technically Kane is the main character. (Hails from Brooklyn by the way.)
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

After recording this episode, I was diagnosed with Post Pedo Syndrome. I am currently receiving counseling and medication to treat it.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
jcncasval76

I could care less about Gunbuster & Daibuster, but I just felt that the cup noodles would get certain "someone"'s attention. btw, I only make comments when it matters, even if it means that "someone" in the podcasts might think it's taken a bit personal.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
jabman025

Between Soul Bro's thesis on race in anime, Neo's crass and racist remarks, the meeting of the Pedobears, the 3rd impact, and God himself decending upon Neo's home at the end of the show this may have been one of the weirdest and most disturbing episodes of Gundamn to date.......................well done gentleman well done :lol:
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Mu La Flaga

So we have Pedobear North and South finally meet in an episode together now next to step is to find Pedobear East and West then you have the full set!

Not to mention the Earth survived the union of Pedobears and also Soul Bro Ryu thinking about getting a PS3 :P

Anyway decent episode, I've always been curious on Gunbuster, however I would rank it lower then GaoGaiGar FINAL only just by a little bit, FINAL's Goldion Crusher makes it that much more epic then Gunbuster.

I was also wondering what is with Destiny Gundam's sound quality sometimes it's all nice and clear and then sometimes it's back to the more echoy normal version we are used to like in episode 49.
Because in the last call in episode was nice and clear like this episode.
Not a complaint, just noted that detail.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

jcncasval76 wrote:I could care less about Gunbuster & Daibuster, but I just felt that the cup noodles would get certain "someone"'s attention. btw, I only make comments when it matters, even if it means that "someone" in the podcasts might think it's taken a bit personal.

I would say that's typical troll justification, but for once I don't want to insult trolls.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Chris
Administrator

jcncasval76 wrote:I could care less about Gunbuster & Daibuster, but I just felt that the cup noodles would get certain "someone"'s attention. btw, I only make comments when it matters, even if it means that "someone" in the podcasts might think it's taken a bit personal.
I don't know what's going on, but I'm quickly losing patience with you. Whether it's comments like this or making baseless accusations against Neo of racist comments, there's always something with you. Put a sock in it, or you won't be hanging around here much longer.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Vent Noir

Gunbuster is battling it out with Nadesico for the title of my favourite mecha anime of all time. And I need to get my hands of a copy of the last two episodes of DieBuster (I know people complained about the $50 US price tag, but for Diebuster I'd willing to pay it because it's that damn good).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
phillosmaster

I've seen both Gunbuster and GGG Final and all I have to say is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gm6czdcp3k scene is too epic to be ignored. Look at how much damage they inflict on the alien fleet. Gunbuster is my favorite (and it's sequel is not far behind) though it does get awkward to show to new people people with all the barebreasted bouncing action. I'm an older guy so the height of my enthusiasm for anime was in the 80's. That might make me bias but I agree with the pedobears 100%. The animation in this anime beats about 95% of the stuff on the market today.

Nono's blatant animal abuse at the beginning of Diebuster always made me laugh. Does that make me a bad person? I think Neo is spot on with his closing comments on Diebuster. I think it works well because it doesn't try too hard to be just like Gunbuster. They allowed it to be it's own show.

Thanks for answering my question. SBR dude finish Firefly already. It's an awesome series.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
wielder

Neo: I've been a little busy but I do try to contribute additional pieces of news now and then...some of them get mentioned, others don't. Still, it's all fair enough and I believe that the Neo's News topic is an useful community resource in and of itself.

Anyway....audio issues aside, this was a pretty good episode and a funny one to boot. :lol:

Oh, I could go on and on about Gunbuster myself....but you guys already covered some of the best stuff. Suffice to say it is one of those relatively rare cases of a perfectly balanced bittersweet ending (if you ask me, a lot of anime endings are either too depressing or too happy to qualify as such).

The fact that the show is ridiculously entertaining while remaining quite moving is a huge plus.

I don't know about Jung Freud being a proto-Asuka either, but on a similar note...Noriko herself, if you want to go there, slightly resembles the main character of Aim for the Ace but, more importantly, is a bit of a proto-Simon. It's amusing to see how Gainax likes to deal with some of the sames issues, themes or visual cues even if the details and settings change. It's hard to deny Gurren Lagann as a whole was definitely influenced by both Gunbuster and Diebuster.

On that note...

Diebuster fell off my radar until it was almost over and, much to my surprise, managed to turn out quite well in spite of the radical stylistic shift. I don't feel it was a disappointment, not at all, just a different project by a different set of creators during a later time period. Thankfully, they didn't make the same mistakes other such projects have had to deal with (like, say, Macross 02 or Orguss 02, which is a good show in its own right but doesn't really respect the original resolution). The new staff did something unique without messing around too much with what came before.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Vent Noir

More than being a "proto-Simon", Noriko seems to have pretty much created the archetype that a lot of female mecha pilots follow. Off the top of my head, Ibis Douglas and Setsuko Ohara from Super Robot Wars, as well as Asuna Elmarit from MSG: Ecole du Ciel pretty clearly follow Noriko's archetype.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

On a big note to this topic I forgot about.
The Space Monsters, I'm surprised Destiny Gundamn forgot to mention alternatively in Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 and all they have a nickname of sorts, which is STMC(Space Terrbile Monster Crowd) or something like that.

I completely forgot that in my previous post last time.

On a troll related note, does the straight talk express neeed to be fumigated so no more trolls are camping out in the back of the straight talk express in future? :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
wielder

Vent Noir wrote:More than being a "proto-Simon", Noriko seems to have pretty much created the archetype that a lot of female mecha pilots follow. Off the top of my head, Ibis Douglas and Setsuko Ohara from Super Robot Wars, as well as Asuna Elmarit from MSG: Ecole du Ciel pretty clearly follow Noriko's archetype.
That's absolutely true and a valid observation. Still, what I was getting at would be all the parallels you can establish between Simon and Noriko in terms of their respective character arcs and a couple of the related themes, give or take obvious differences such as gender and so forth.

I don't know if it was entirely intentional, perhaps not, but I was mostly thinking in terms of Gainax productions.

Granted, it's probably not the kind of conclusion most people will reach until they've run out of things to talk about and/or have spent way too much time comparing the characters in question. :P

On a tangential note...I find it hard to judge most of the characters in the SRW franchise because so few of the games are available in English, one way or another, and reading online text summaries just doesn't feel the same. The fact they're usually written from an external narrator's perspective doesn't help either.

Maybe that's just me though...which means I can only shrug.
Last edited by wielder on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
jcncasval76

Chris wrote:
I don't know what's going on, but I'm quickly losing patience with you. Whether it's comments like this or making baseless accusations against Neo of racist comments, there's always something with you. Put a sock in it, or you won't be hanging around here much longer.

ok, let me explain what I "INTEND" to say last time: I am not against dubbing, however, I am against dubbing that are done in bad taste. I understand where you might think I am making a blanket accusation, however, when Neo mentioned it a few episodes back, my memory triggered a type of flashback that involved some of my worse experience when I first arrived. I do have to mention something on Shaw Brothers Studio: not too many people aware nowadays since it was so long ago, but when SBS closed down, the whole movie industry in Hong Kong doesn't necessary go away in the forms of Golden Harvest and Television Broadcasting Limited, which I grew up watching many animes during the 1980s. IMO, even though it may sounds misguided, that if one should truly appreciates Shaw Brothers movies, and another Hong Kong movies, dubbing with the highest quality in translation and expression, along with not thinking the original language as a nuisance are essential to understanding what the story is telling. In addition, my childhood isn't exactly a happy one, so I tend to have the "hot-blood" attitude when making some of my comments. If you are wondering why I made those comments in the earlier forum, there is the root of my reasoning.

I deeply regret that my prior comments have been misconstrued as accusing, and I sincerely apologize for my comments.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Chris
Administrator

jcncasval76 wrote:I deeply regret that my prior comments have been misconstrued as accusing, and I sincerely apologize for my comments.
There's no misconstruing. You said what you said and it was very clear. I'm sorry that your personal experience was negative, but it had nothing at all to do with what Neo said, and you were completely out of line to even bring it up and try to connect the two things. But that's neither here nor there, so that's the end of it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Crestborne

The episode was great guys, thumbs up once again. The sound messing up wasn't nearly as bad as I'd thought it would be, so Yay Thunderstorms.

When Gunbuster is talked about, my soul becomes inflamed, and inner Noriko starts to become unyielding...oh wait...here she come....

BUSTA' BEEEEEAM! HO! MING! LAZA!

oh yeah, that's the Stuff...
MAHQ's Official Resident Brony
Co-Host - Ex Vs The Gundamnation w/ Soulbro
Wheel Of Doom Stream - Monday 7pm EST
twitch.tv/powerborne
Mu La Flaga

One of the more awesome MAP attacks in Alpha 3 also, alongside GOLDION CRUSHHA! :P
frezik

On race in anime--the animators don't necessarily intend for characters to look caucasian. They're drawing a generic face, which their main audience will interpret as Japanese.

If you take a simple smiley face drawing and ask people in the US what race it is, most people will say white, even if they're black. In Africa, people will say black (or perhaps a race more specific to that region), in Japan it will be Japanese, and China it will be Chinese. It will be whatever the dominant race is in that area.

Notice that when they animate people from other southeast asian nations, they go out of their way to make them look "otherly". Li Xingke in Code Geass is very definitely Chinese. Kyoshiro Tohdoh of the same series (and many of the other old JLF members) is an interesting exception. He has distinctly Japanese features, but in this case, these features give him more of a Samurai look, and set him apart from the other Black Knight characters.

When they actually are drawing caucasians, there will be some indicator for this, like being taller or having a pronounced jaw.

Good essay on this: http://web.archive.org/web/200605171943 ... other.html