[Novel] - New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deacon Blues

[Novel] - New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop

新機動戦記ガンダムW Frozen Teardrop
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop

「無言の前奏曲~サイレンス・プレリュード」
Silence Prelude

The prologue came out in Gundam Ace, so I'll summarize the information that I've found on the internet:
  • There are going to be new mobile suits appearing in the novel. Focus will be on their militaristic nature.
  • The era is called "MC-0002 NEXT WINTER".
  • The novel takes place on Mars.
  • The story takes place from the viewpoint of Sally Po's daughter, Kathy Po. (Rank is 准佐!?)
  • She's affiliated with Preventer. A subordinate of WuFei (Mars Branch Chief).
  • She possesses a microchip sent from Earth Sphere Unified Nation President Dorothy T. Catalonia.
  • She believes it contains information to initiate "Operation Mythos".
  • However, Chang WuFei instructed her to download three files aside from the memory chip from a history bank.
  • Kathy doesn't understand what good previous century's data will be.
  • The file was recorded in the summer and autumn of AC195 and the spring of AC196.
  • The only common entry the files have is the keyword: "Gundam pilots".
  • The Summer AC195 file is believed to have been something wrote by Treize.
  • Rilke's "Autumn" is quoted at the beginning and after two lines "That is my eternal friend, Milliardo Peacecraft" was added, but was then crossed out with a line in the end. The contents are like a short essay or a letter.
  • It is summarized with "I must be a loser to change history" and is signed "TK".
  • The next file is Autumn AC195 in which transfer student "Duo Maxwell" reads an essay on the theme of the relations between the Earth and its colonies.
  • The final file is Spring AC196. The recorder is Kathy's mother, Sally.
  • Data on conversation between Relena and an elderly person are on the file.
  • The file contains other attached data aside from the sound.
  • It's the blueprints and operations manual for "frozen capsules for artificial hibernation".
  • The blueprints are signed "J".
  • When she arrived at the Preventer's Mars Arctic Base (north pole), Kathy went straight to Master Chang (WuFei), who resides there alone.
  • She informs of being handed down the authorization of "Operation Mythos" and suggests the awakening of the Aurora Princess.
  • The "sleeping beauty" is sealed in a frozen capsule for artificial hibernation.
  • A voice is heard behind Kathy, "You're just like your mother."
  • Appearing was a middle aged man in black priests clothes with a young boy with long hair tied in a braid.
  • The middle-aged man who appeared at random was nothing but smiles. "I'm Father Maxwell. The Father Maxwell who may run and hide, but never tells a lie. And this brat with the unpleasant eyes is my son, Duo."
  • The priest brings special attention to Kathy, "By the way, I do hope that you brought three files with you. The three preludes are needed to awaken the Aurora Princess."
Last edited by Deacon Blues on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amadi Akintunde

Re: [Novel] - New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop

The middle-aged man who didn't make the sign at all, glows at them with a smiling face that doesn't disappear. "I'm Father Maxwell. The Father Maxwell who wouldn't lie and say he ran away and hid. And this bad child with these eyes is my son, Duo."
Should be correctly translated to 'The Father Maxwell who'll run and hide but never tell a lie'. In short, that's likely the Duo we know.
---------------------------------------
So everyone's all grown up now, huh? Glad to see Duo's apparently taking on the job of his 'adopted' father.

Might need a better translation though, some of the stuff there confused me. In any case, I'm looking forward to possibly see character or suit designs.

And speaking of suits... aren't there supposed to be no battle weapons in this particular section of time?
AmuroNT1

I remember the initial announcement saying that some of the original MS might see model form.

Personally, this whole thing just kinda confuses me. Most likely it's the fact that we're dropped in media res several years post-EW, with no explanations for things like where the rest of the cast is. Of course, I have a sneaky suspicion I know who the Aurora Princess will turn out to be.

Also, thanks to the presence of actual children (and therefore heterosexuality) in the novel, the fangirls will rush to declare this non-canon so fast it'll create a sonic boom. Mark my words.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Deacon Blues

Amadi Akintunde wrote:Should be correctly translated to 'The Father Maxwell who'll run and hide but never tell a lie'. In short, that's likely the Duo we know.
Err... I don't know how I came up with that one. Must have been thinking of something else. :P
And speaking of suits... aren't there supposed to be no battle weapons in this particular section of time?
We all know that peace never lasts forever...

Since this particular section was called "Silence Prelude" it makes me wonder how this theme of "preludes" will play into everything.

And Amuro, no one says that they kids are actually the G-Pilots own flesh and blood... there's always the matter of picking up orphans or adoption :P I'm sure they'll spin it off into something hilariously amusing. But keep in mind, this post-EW era is probably about thirty years following EW. The term used to describe "Father Maxwell" is a "middle-aged man", or a "forty" year old. So that'll give you some idea of where this story stands. It is going to be told from Hero and Duo's kids perspective, or so the buzz says.
LightningCount

Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming!

But...this is very strange and not what I was expecting at all. Mars was hinted as the future at the end of Endless Waltz...and maybe, since Mars is technically outside of the Earth Sphere, that can account for the mobile suits that will be appearing. Either way, for everyone to have "kids" all of a sudden, biological or not, is unexpected for a sequel. Right now, it doesn't seem to have the pacing or punch of the Gundam Wing universe in it, but I'm interested to see how it develops--particularly because this is now future vision of the Gundam Wing TV original staff, right? (I hope the new Heero and Duo kids won't be carbon copies of their originals for fan service).
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Imperial

In media res may be unsatisfying at first, but it's really one of the more effective ways to hook an audience. We're all so baffled by what has changed and what is coming that we're sure to keep tabs on it in order to figure out what's going on.

My one teeny, tiny gripe is that we're bound to get some mobile suit combat, which flies in the face of that conclusive, "no more mobile suits" blurb we got at the end of Endless Waltz. Such is the nature of franchises, I suppose.
This space for rent
NastyNate

Do we have an American Release Date for this? Or any date for that matter?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Deacon Blues

Nate, it's a novel series. It will never see the light of day outside of Japan.
TakaTahuNuva

NastyNate wrote:Do we have an American Release Date for this?
Hahaha
Or any date for that matter?
Well, this is a serialized novel. This was the prologue, so chapter 1 should be included in the next Gundam Ace issue next month.

And thanks for the translation, Deacon. I do hope this story won't break the established AW continuity with more retcons, though.
ohhhh snap
Arsarcana

AC I think you mean...

And yeah, this should shut the yaoi fans up since we've got the children of the original pilots, or at least Duo since there's no mention of Kathy being Wufei's daughter (yet?), just Sally's. Then again, fangirls being what they are, even if God Himself declared it canon they'd find some way to ignore it. Probably via the 'but they said no Mobile Suits' thing, or the 'unless they specifically say otherwise I'm just going to believe they were adopted' thing. Despite, y'know, Duo's kid sounding like he looks just like him.

That does make me wonder how this is going to work out. If the conflict in question is set entirely around Mars or winds up being unknown to the public at large, it could 'not count' for purposes of the EW epilogue. Still, I'm surprised they went the sequel route since there's still territory to mine in the existing timespan but this opens up other possibilities so I'll be looking forward to seeing where things go.

Also, I wonder how whoever created these files got a copy of Heero's essay? Not to mention, who made scary eyebrows girl the president? :D
Raiden

Meh it feels pretty odd that they decided to make a sequel now. Especially since everything in both the show and EW ends in a pretty much happily ever after sense. Oh well, if the story is better than TV show then i guess ill be satisfied.

The thing about Duo's "son" seems more like a flashback to himself as a kid. I dun remember Episode Zero the manga much, but it could be that Father Maxwell presented in Duo's backstory of Episode Zero?

I know this novel's announcement pretty much made all those Wing fans that don't watch the other Gundam shows REALLY happy. The only downside to this is that they probably will end up demanding that they animate this like Unicorn, and also demand them to make more sequels for Wing instead of making new material for the other universes or new worlds -_-. And by them i mean Sunrise.
Arsarcana

Are there still that many 'Wing only' fans around? I thought aside from the yaoi fangirls they'd mostly died out some time in the past decade.

Anyhow, while I haven't read the prologue for myself, assuming the summary is accurate that's the real Duo, not a flashback. He's uttering Duo's self-introduction line (which Duo used a variant of in Episode Zero IIRC but Father Maxwell never did) and the age and outfit both point to Duo. In fact, if he has become a priest it would be a nice callback to Episode Zero where Father Maxwell thought Duo could become a great one some day if he put his mind to it. Plus, why would Kathy be having a flashback about someone else's past?

No, the real question is 'why would Duo name his son Duo'? Serious failure of imagination?
Amadi Akintunde

Arsarcana wrote:Are there still that many 'Wing only' fans around? I thought aside from the yaoi fangirls they'd mostly died out some time in the past decade.

Anyhow, while I haven't read the prologue for myself, assuming the summary is accurate that's the real Duo, not a flashback. He's uttering Duo's self-introduction line (which Duo used a variant of in Episode Zero IIRC but Father Maxwell never did) and the age and outfit both point to Duo. In fact, if he has become a priest it would be a nice callback to Episode Zero where Father Maxwell thought Duo could become a great one some day if he put his mind to it. Plus, why would Kathy be having a flashback about someone else's past?

No, the real question is 'why would Duo name his son Duo'? Serious failure of imagination?
Duo's Duo?
Rawinder

If "MC" is supposed to be a new calendar, I take it it's supposed to mean "Mars Colony"?
Kyuzo Aoi

I guess It could be Mars Calendar or Martian Colonization or so.
I am a Gundam!
J-Lead

To be honest, I always thought the "no weapons, not even mobile suits, were ever seen again" line in the epilogue was laughably optomistic, considering the events that immediately preceded it. There's always going to be a faction here and there that's gonna want to build up a military force and put it to use for their own agendas; Marimea's (Dekim's) little uprising is evidence enough of that. That was the whole point of the Preventers in the first place. While I'm perfectly capable of accepting that peace was maintained forever after, I'm sure there are some isolated feats of aggression that needed to be snuffed out in order to maintain it.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be half vexed if this story flies straight in the face of that epilogue.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
ShadowCell

I thought the ending of Endless Waltz said that mobile suits were never seen again, not weapons entirely.
Amadi Akintunde

ShadowCell wrote:I thought the ending of Endless Waltz said that mobile suits were never seen again, not weapons entirely.
After Colony year 197, peace has returned to the people. And from this point on in history, weapons called mobile suits, including the Gundams, were never seen again.
I guess so. Must have heard the narrator incorrectly. D:
kmagryffindor
Location: Brittania or the Union, depends on what you perfer. (Ohio)

I always thought it said Mobile suits, including the Gundams where never seen again "within the earth sphere" that's why I assumed the story was moved to Mars, it allows mobile suits to return with out messing with cannon. Curious to see what happens with this.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I think it's just hilarious that they finally decided that the end of Endless Waltz was unrealistic and killed a sub-franchise for them.Question is: can this novel resurrect GW? In a good way that is?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion