RPG Idea Discussion Thread

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
mcred23

RPG Idea Discussion Thread

You people have no idea how old I feel starting another of these threads. :mrgreen:

As always the case with one of these threads, this is where people can discuss their idea for the next RPG. Feel free to post any ideas you have, feedback and comments on other ideas, and all that sorta stuff so we can fine tune any ideas or develop new ones before we get around to picking the next RPG.

There aren't many guidelines for the next RPG. Basically, the only limits are it has to somehow be mecha related, and the Universal Century isn't allowed, both for obvious reasons. Any Gundam alternate universe is allowed, as are ideas from any other mecha work (Such as Macross or SRW), original universe (Where everything is created by one of you, the setting, the mecha, background, etc) and mixed universes (Where ideas from exsisting universes are mixed together). I once again stress caution when considering the last two options, particularly original universe ideas, as you'll have to do a lot more background work than you would for an idea set in official universe. For more information on why that is, read this.

Finally, our current plan is to let this thing run for around two weeks. Near the time, I'll start allowing people to officially submit their ideas to me via PM before we get around to a voting poll thread, so don't send me any ideas before then :). How all that works is explained in the rules thread, and I'll go over them again here, plus the deadline dates, and anything else when we get closer to that time.

That covers most of what you need to know to start talking about any ideas any of you have. If you want to look at the older threads, the last one is here, and some of the others are also in the Archive.

So get to it. 8)
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Fritz Ashlyn

Re: RPG Idea Discussion Thread

I’m going to put my idea from the last version of this thread out there in case anyone wants to work with it. It’s sort of an “Aliens-meets-Shin Getter Robo-meets-Heavy Gear/Patlabor” idea.

((I have no intention of running this if it gets voted for, so someone will have to volunteer to GM it. It shouldn't be too hard to develop the idea into a game, as a lot of the universe's backstory is irrelevant because it can be a small-scale situation.))

The idea of a permanent installation on the lunar surface seemed reasonable enough to some forward-looking men even as early as the turn of the century - but when a permanent, stable space station was constructed in Earth's orbit in the mid 2120s it was a cause for celebration. Cooperation between UNASA (the United Nations Aeronautics and Space Administration) and several of the world's largest corporations, including the Walton Group and RDS-Chevron, saw the funding and construction of a kilometers-long orbital installation called Heaven. By the 2150s mankind had branched out farther into space, launching from Heaven and Earth to build several self-contained colonies situated in the gravitational Lagrange points and on the moon as well as a science and military installation on the surface of Mars. By 2200 human beings were living on the surface of several planets' moons including Jupiter's Titan with the help of "Habitators", unstable low-output terraforming equipment that allowed for the production of small- to medium-sized installations in close proximity.

Humanity was pleased with itself. On Earth most conflicts had turned into petty, small-scale proxy wars in the remaining 3rd world nations that kept most people content. Overpopulation had been "solved" by regular outbreaks of Influenza and the efforts at space colonization. Then strange and disturbing reports began to trickle in from the outermost human settlements: something completely unknown to humans was spreading, slowly, like a disease, towards the center of the solar system. The first grainy images of the things were unsettling - several still frames recovered from a dead corporate marine's shoulder camera showed an oily black shape dart across the ground and then... nothing. The UN was pressured by its corporate backers to keep the problem a secret; they were rationalized as several unconnected 'incidents' at outer colonies. Accidents with Habitator breakdown, and mass hysteria and outbreaks of violence among colonists were blamed for the losses and they were quietly shuffled out of the public consciousness.

Initially several corporations dispatched their own investigative teams but it soon became clear that the alien life forms, whatever they were, were extremely hostile and could not be reasoned with or safely captured. Described by survivors as large, black masses covered with patches of eyes, the aliens were deadly to anyone that came near an infested area unprepared. Even with heavy equipment several corporate teams were wiped out after landing in infested colonies, and it became clear that 'cleaning' a colony was only a viable option in very rare circumstances. Casualty rates in infested areas was over 90%, even with government assistance. Halting the spread of the aliens seemed like a futile effort at ground level on the effected moons - nuking a site from orbit was the only way to be sure.

Still, the main business sponsors of the infested areas were interested in studying the aliens. Outright extermination of the beings and keeping the incidents quiet was bleeding the corporations of capital and resources, and if a profitable solution could be found it would solve the problem. The UN gave tacit approval for an attempt to study the aliens, and two months later in late 2214 a Walton Group supply ship was 'accidentallly' diverted from an infested area of space to the colonies on Titan. Within a week all contact with the facility and colonists on Titan was lost.

This RPG would begin as a small group of ships are arriving at the moon Titan to investigate the loss of contact with the colony there. In addition to a UNASA vessel with UN soldiers and personnel there would be a couple of smaller corporate ships carrying corporate marines and scientists. The stated goal of the mission is to find out what happened on Titan, as the UN has not officially recognized the alien attacks and the corporations have not made their real intentions public. The corporate teams accompanying the mission should try to collect data and live specimens if possible to determine if any profit can come from the life forms. All players would be humans, so the GM (and possible assistants) would be in charge of controlling the aliens. A possible alternative would be UN/Corp human PCs versus the NPC aliens and ‘infected’ Inhabitor-controlled human PCs. These could be something like monstrosities from System Shock 2 or Dead Space, to shibito from the Siren game series.

The aliens are more or less mindless engines of destruction that are referred to as "Inhabitors". Comparable to the unholy offspring of one of Lovecraft's shoggoths and the Xenomorphs from "Alien", they are large pulsating masses of darkness covered with eyes and tendrils that they can turn into deadly spikes and crude manipulators. They will feed on humans, but that isn't the worst they are capable of - some humans are infected with the aliens' offspring and will behave like what humans would call fast-moving zombies. Infected humans retain some intelligence and in some instances are very smart, but they are all connected to some sort of hive-mind or shared intelligence. Killing one of the infected will also kill the juvenile inside them, but in rare cases it will free the Inhabitor which can then attack on its own. They infest human installations, living in ventilation systems and dark areas until they can build a nest once human resistance is mostly removed.

So what makes this a mecha RPG? The players would be part of 3 or 4 different groups: UN Soldiers/personnel, two different corporate teams, and possibly survivors on Titan. The UN and the corporate marines alike use powered armor comparable to Gears from Heavy Gear or the suits used in the Starship Troopers novel. The suits allow one alert human to take on several Inhabitors at once with relative ease, but there are not enough of them to equip every soldier with one. The rest of the marines are stuck moving on foot with small arms (think Aliens style pulse rifles, etc.), but working in teams they are more than capable of taking on inhabited humans, and with appropriate firepower and skill they can kill Inhabitors though it is extremely dangerous.

I will leave it to the GM to design the powered suits, but it shouldn't be too hard. The UN should have more suits available for their marines, but they are not high quality models like the corporate teams are using - they have weaker weapons and thinner armor. They’re clunky mass-produced models the UN military has been using for over a decade, so they would be slightly outdated though reliable. The corporate teams, representing the Walton Group and RDS-Chevron (or a different corp, up to the GM... perhaps Ultor or Weyland-Yutani? :P) will have better powered armor but less of the suits to go around, but at least their marines stuck on the ground will have better personal armor and small arms. The ratio of suits to on foot for the UN and the corps should be something like 70:30 and 40:60 respectively.

Not all PCs have to be combat-oriented. I'd like to see a game like this run with as much suspense and scary situations as gun-emptying, pants-crapping combat. Some of the players should be corporate scientists trying to make sure their own sponsor can get something out of the situation, and there can be civilian survivors on Titan's surface. The humans work together in theory, but things may get nasty depending on how profit-oriented the corporate teams get. In short, think of a big mix of "Aliens" and "Shin Getter Robo Armageddon" with mecha suitable for Heavy Gear or smaller. I'd like to see some behind-the-scenes corporate backstabbing to go with the "GAME OVER, MAN! GAME OVER!" combat going on against the Inhabitors. I don't think it would be too difficult to set up and it could be pretty interesting if done right.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Tangerine

Intresting story, I like the alien theme with extra fire power and mecha. But as I read the text above, I found that there isn't enough material to make it run smoothly. First, we really need the cause for the conflict. Why one will backstab another one instead of joining hand and helping each other? One reason I could think of is:

Party A trying to help as many civilians as possible w/o thinking of the risk, like could make the same infestation happening on the ship and then another colony or Earth itself.

Party B trying to capture the alien specimen or other crazy thing, risking the civilian but opening a possibility of eliminating the very source of problem.

Party C trying to quarantine the infested area, eliminate it via some giant weapon of mass destruction and risking every life in the area.

Second, I think we really need to establish just what this RPG going to be. Is it closer to Alien or StarshipTropper or Resident Evil or I Am Legend for example.

Third, hmm I think catchy naming for organization, etc is in order. Although UNASA seems ok, not so with Chevron-ish or (scroll backward & read it again) inhibator. :oops:
Fritz Ashlyn

Tangerine wrote:Intresting story, I like the alien theme with extra fire power and mecha. But as I read the text above, I found that there isn't enough material to make it run smoothly. First, we really need the cause for the conflict. Why one will backstab another one instead of joining hand and helping each other? One reason I could think of is:

Party A trying to help as many civilians as possible w/o thinking of the risk, like could make the same infestation happening on the ship and then another colony or Earth itself.

Party B trying to capture the alien specimen or other crazy thing, risking the civilian but opening a possibility of eliminating the very source of problem.
Basically the UN troops are there to 1) help civilians and 2) secure the facilities. The detachment commander may or may not know the real reason they've been sent with so many heavy hitting corporate marines, but as far as they're concerned it's a rescue and recon effort.

The corporates, on the other hand, want one thing - an alien specimen. The profit that could come from having one to study is potentially enormous, whether it produces a way to wipe out the threat or simply some sort of weapon. The civilians are in the way, and the UN is there to herd them out of trouble. And if they don't, oh well. The relationship between the two groups is strained because while it's nominally a UNASA ship/UN mission, the UN at this point is backed by corporate interests. So the UN troops are "in charge", but the corporate marines are in charge... if you understand my meaning.

The backstabbing comes into play when the corp marines start to work in their companies' interests. If you've seen Aliens, the same general idea will come into play - in the movie Burke was willing to make attempts on Ripley and the others' lives in the interest of the Weyland-Yutani corporation when they made trouble or just when he thought it would benefit him. In this game "Burke" would be reps and scientists from potentially more than one corporation, and each sends men with very big guns. So cooperation with the UN marines is obviously the smart thing in the beginning, but eventually they'll get less and less "useful" to the corporate team(s). Because of the relationship between the UN and the corporations, and the marines on the ground, a break point will happen sooner or later when you throw the aliens into the mix.
Tangerine wrote:Second, I think we really need to establish just what this RPG going to be. Is it closer to Alien or StarshipTropper or Resident Evil or I Am Legend for example.
Ideally I'd like it to be something like Aliens or maybe Starship Troopers for general combat situations (especially for the guys in mechs), with some Resident Evil style slower horror thrown in now and again. At some point marines will have to go in places mechs won't fit or do some delicate work by hand...
Tangerine wrote:Third, hmm I think catchy naming for organization, etc is in order. Although UNASA seems ok, not so with Chevron-ish or (scroll backward & read it again) inhibator.

To be honest the names are all up to the GM. UNASA matters the least because it's just the space agency the UN-provided ship(s) is from. The corporations' name(s) don't matter that much either - I used "RDS-Chevron" (a big ol' Royal Dutch Schell/Chevron megaconglomerate) and the Walton Group (the Wal-Mart family own everything!) as placeholders/examples if the GM wants to change them. I also threw Weyland-Yutani and Ultor in there from Alien and Red Faction as joke alternatives. 'Inhabitor' can be changed too if you think it's dumb or whatever.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
SNT1

Just want to comment (if I may be polarizing)

If it ain't based on any Gundam series the next RPG is going to blow.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
mcred23

SNT1 wrote:If it ain't based on any Gundam series the next RPG is going to blow.
Nobody is forcing you to play if it's an idea you don't like. In fact, we'd prefer that you (Or anyone) stay out of an RPG if you aren't very interested in it. We're just fishing for ideas and concepts at this point.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
SNT1

Nobody is forcing you to play if it's an idea you don't like. In fact, we'd prefer that you (Or anyone) stay out of an RPG if you aren't very interested in it. We're just fishing for ideas and concepts at this point.
I stayed away when EZero8's RPG is running (no offense Ez8!). And so did a few people. So what's that 'forced to play the RPG' schtick you're talking about? If I think it's a bad and/or unfamiliar idea then I simply won't participate. And if others feel the same way, then that RPG can enjoy its awesome 0.4 posts per day pace and have this thread again a couple of weeks later after the RPG's demise.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
EZero8

SNT1 wrote:And if others feel the same way, then that RPG can enjoy its awesome 0.4 posts per day pace and have this thread again a couple of weeks later after the RPG's demise.
The death of the RPG's here are more so the result of the lack of time to participate rather than a lack of interest in participating. Dominion's Rise had a good number of players initially before everyone dropped off the face of the Earth without warning. :|
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Fritz Ashlyn

SNT1 wrote:I stayed away when EZero8's RPG is running (no offense Ez8!). And so did a few people. So what's that 'forced to play the RPG' schtick you're talking about? If I think it's a bad and/or unfamiliar idea then I simply won't participate. And if others feel the same way, then that RPG can enjoy its awesome 0.4 posts per day pace and have this thread again a couple of weeks later after the RPG's demise.
Reread what Red said - nobody is forcing anyone to play in games they don't want to. You just repeated what he was saying.

So... what kind of game do you want next? That's what the thread is for. If you don't have a specific idea for an RPG then make a request for a type or universe.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Imperial

I would absolutely love to see a Correct Century game. The setting and the machines are so unique that I find them hard not to love. Besides, has anyone ever actually tried to run a Turn A game here before?

It would not be particularly hard. We could easily explain the depicted conflict away as a side story. If we have guys like the White Dingoes fighting Zeons in Australia while Amuro is zapping them in space, we could accomplish the same thing here, I think.

Turn A Gundam appears to begin in a thinly veiled southeastern North America, so we could move it out west, up north, or to the European continent or wherever else. With news of the Moonrace-militia clash rapidly spreading across the globe, a neighboring country launches its own mountain cycle-exploring project to arm themselves with machine dolls for the inevitable conflict. And not a moment too soon; a branch of the Moonrace invasion force arrives shortly thereafter, and we all have a great, big brawl.
This space for rent
Fritz Ashlyn

Turn-A Texas Style, Y'all

I like it.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Wingnut

The really interesting part is we can have them dig up just about anything, even AU models. Although I would keep the variety to a minimum with only a few different machines.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Fritz Ashlyn

Real men fly biplanes. 8)
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Wedge14

I am so down for biplanes!!!
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Tangerine

Only 2 ideas so far?
Attomoku

No such luck Lemon Song, Ive got an idea for a for a Full Metal Panic! RPG rattling around in my noggin but it needs some input for refinement before I make a full posting for it.

The basic premise is that you would all be members of the Atlantic contingent of Mithril stationed aboard a Tuatha de Danaan class assault submarine as SRT's (arm-slave pilots) and possibly PRT's (normal commandos) if we have enough people. You would all probably pilot Gernsbacks equipped as you see fit (within reason) fighting against terrorists, rebels, Amalgam, and perhaps even Spetznaz in trying to protect Whispereds and generally contain the growing soviet threat.

The way I envision it the GM (Me) would field a variety of scenarios and locations ranging from grabbing Whispereds from enemy territory, VIP Escort missions, Rescues, Assisting Coups, Crushing rebellions and probably somehow ending up smack in the middle of a full blow conflict somewhere in Latin America.
At a briefing the players would get Intel in the form of maps and enemy positions/strength estimates then the players will be able to choose and discuss equipment, tactics and occasionally their team's starting positions depending on the scenario. Me and my enemy NPC armies will do the best to throw curveballs and not all will ever go 100% according to plan. However if you play smart and be a cohesive unit/team you will likely triumph, and to help with that I will probably ask for someone to be my assistant who would control things on Mithril's side such as calling in assets like choppers or missile strikes from the TTD-2 and help brief the other players (in essence her combat operator).

However this seems like a departure from the standard- players on sides of the conflict formula that seems to work OK and was wondering if I maybe should rework it to have some rogue Spetznaz unit or perhaps Amalgam and have both sides go after different ends of the same objective (IE- one aims to assassinate the VIP and the other protect the VIP) however that seems like almost too much trouble to to through with no real way to decide how to designate victory other than a perhaps a literal coin toss and have the GM/assistant GM be the sole executor of the objective but that doesn't seem right. What are your thoughts? Am I missing something or overstretching or what?
IAN: (Shaking fist up at sky in a storm of GN particles) Science does not WORK this way, Setsuna!!!
EZero8

I'd love to participate in a Full Metal Panic! RPG, though preferably in the usual PvP format rather than having everyone relegated to one side. Besides, it gives people the opportunity to play using a Codarl on the Amalgam side. With a well-planned story and perhaps a few players willing to RP as plot-driven Whispered characters, this could work out just fine as long as Lambda Driver physics don't hax the game.
Last edited by EZero8 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Fritz Ashlyn

I know next to nothing about FMP so I'm interested in your idea, Attomoku. I'd like to see someone try a game where they as GM control all (or the vast majority of) the bad guys, dungeon master style.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

blind_dead_mcjones

the FMP! one sounds interesting though i might suggest that some non mithril and amalgam special forces/mercenaries also play a part as well or something else that results in Savages and bushnells and the like roaming the field, that way it won't be a full on Gernsback vs codarl fest.

speaking of RPG idea i do have this one, its not beyond the rough ideas stage but i figure i'd put it out here

in short a Macross RPG set around the same period as frontier but in a different corner of the galaxy following one of the colony fleets (starting at the planet it launches from and all the preparations involved with sending a colony fleet off), the 2 main sides are NUNS with which players can be human or zentradi (be it macro or micronized in the case of the latter) or one of the "uncultured" rebel zentradi fleets that are still out there, who are trying to devise a means to turn miclone culture against them in some fashion

not quite sure how the various scenarios would play out as yet aside from CAP's or hit and run attacks by the zentradi and so forth, as for mecha NUNs would get VF-171's, cheyenne II's and maybe a konig monster, plus a few qeadluun rea's (those in diamond force might upgrade from the VF-171 to the VF-26 later on (another YF-24 derived fighter like frontier's VF-25 and VF-27) and the zentradi get glaug's regults queadluun's, and for higher ranking pilots Nousjadeul-Ger's (they also have the option of ditching the battlepods and going toe to toe against VF's with their bare hands shoudl they so desire) also the vajra may or may not get involved i don't know at this point.
Flag Fighter for life!
Attomoku

The way I intended it there will be no lambda driver equipped AS (Unless it is to advance the narrative), No worries about having fun time trying to take on units that can actively break the laws of physics. So sorry, no Codarl EZero, but I do like the Idea of having a Whispered PC though. I'll see if I can work around having a PC plot device

As for the concern about having nothing but OP M9's running around, the idea isn't so much about killing everything in sight but to have different teams each try and accomplish different objectives like one unit try to take out a SAM site so that the Pave Mares can drop in the extraction team while the rest hold off the Savages and Shadows. Keep in mind that Mithril likes to operate under the radar so you might find yourself having to fight in a Bushnell when aiding the US Marines, or perhaps being forced to commandeer a Savage in order to make your escape from a covert op gone to hell. I intend to have it be a more 08th MS/TftF style of game where you play run of the mill (albeit exceptional) soldiers. Things like tactics and weapons hierarchies are expected to be put to good use (an artillery AS is highly effective at suppressing snipers and an AS that is equipped with a knife and scaled up SMG will have a better time faring in city-fighting and close quarters than the guy with the artillery AS). If they are not, my NPC Armies will take note and press that to their advantage.
IAN: (Shaking fist up at sky in a storm of GN particles) Science does not WORK this way, Setsuna!!!