famous people who like anime?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
DocMcCoy

famous people who like anime?

Ive got another odd one for the forums. Wondering if there are any big name famous folks outside of Japan that are into anime? I'm aware of Toby McGuire's interest and what not but i happen to be watching VEVO youtube video for Johnny Cash's God's gonna cut you down and about 15sec into it you see Kanye West (I believe?) Along with what I'm 99% sure is a Zaku II of a large scale. Looking for input on this and other famous fans.
Long time lurker...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. I'm not certain about the universe...
Antares

Re: famous people who like anime?

Aaron McGruder, creator of The Boondocks is a fan. I believe he has mentioned Ninja Scroll and Samurai Champloo specifically. Which is easy to see from his choice of animation style and also several fight scenes. Good stuff. :)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Dark Duel

I don't know whether it counts as anime per se, but M. Night Shyamalan is apparently a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Espdude

Robin Williams is a big Neon Genesis Evangelion fan, in one movie (one hour photo iirc) he gives a kid a toy unit 05 which is from his personal collection. I myself being a big Eva fan thought that it was pretty cool he was into anime
Shea

The music video for Linkin Park's Somewhere I Belong shows two Gundam models in it.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
jabman025

Keanu Reeves is a well noted fan of anime and gundam in paticular. He was one of the first customers for the first (and last) American ANIMAZE stores in San Francisco.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
DocMcCoy

Sounds like a fair spread of famous people share our interests. Cool to hear about many of these.
Long time lurker...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. I'm not certain about the universe...
AceWhatever

Speaking of Keanu Reeves, wasn't he wearing boxers with Gundam on them in Sweet November?
Dark Duel

jabman025 wrote:Keanu Reeves is a well noted fan of anime and gundam in paticular. He was one of the first customers for the first (and last) American ANIMAZE stores in San Francisco.
Amusingly, someone in the Random Images thread posted a picture that points out that "EUREKA SEVEN" is a perfect anagram of "KEANU REEVES"
Odd, ain't it?

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
His Divine Shadow

Rob Zombie apparently thinks 3 x 3 Eyes is the bee's knees.
"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

The music video for Linkin Park's Somewhere I Belong shows two Gundam models in it.
The Wing Zero and the GP01-Fb Gundam Full Vernian, and you left out the Sazabi.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Antares

Judging from Robot Chicken, I'd rather say he is a fan of the kiddie-cartoons that ran in the days of his (and *sigh*, my) youth. While some of it qualifies as anime, I don't think he is an avid fan of anime in particular. Being a nerd doesn't make him an anime-geek. :mrgreen:
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Vent Noir

Antares wrote:Judging from Robot Chicken, I'd rather say he is a fan of the kiddie-cartoons that ran in the days of his (and *sigh*, my) youth. While some of it qualifies as anime, I don't think he is an avid fan of anime in particular. Being a nerd doesn't make him an anime-geek. :mrgreen:
He was at a convention down here in Australia last year, and he mentioned being a big fan of Evangelion (there were a couple of Eva references in the episode of Titan Maximum that played).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
ZeroBusterXX

And Seth Green really digs Robotech.

I remember reading in an old interview in Toyfare back when Robot Chicken first came out and he said that the one Robotech toy he wanted was the Cyclone Cycle. But he never got it because it was only released in Japan as the Mospeada.
Dave

Andrew WK :P, I think he's an Anime Watcher

:lol:
あなたの父親と母親elderberriesハムスターのにおいがした.
Murra

Leonardo DiCaprio mentioned on a Japanese tv interview alongside Ken Watanabe for Inception, that Princess Mononoke's one of his favourite animes and how much he enjoys the other worlds of Ghibli movies and how that relates to the imaginary worlds of the movie.
His Divine Shadow

Purportedly, some of JM Straczynski's inspiration for Bablyon 5 came after watching a bootleg of Legend of Galactic Heroes.
"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman
TheGoose

MCG, director of such "classics" like Charlie's Angels and Terminator Salvation, is apparently a big fan of Sailor Moon and other Japanese anime and movies. Whether you actually think he is a celebrity is up to you. Another director who is fan of anime is James Cameron.

Angelina Jolie's kids are also fans of the Ghibli movies.

And Samuel L. Jackson is a fan of Ninja Scroll and Black Lagoon. I heard he's also trying to create a new anime block for a TV station that would show new shows and old anime.
Last edited by TheGoose on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dark Duel

TheGoose wrote:Samuel L. Jackson is a fan of Ninja Scroll and Black Lagoon.
First thing that came to mind upon reading that: Samuel L. as Dutch. The potential awesomeness brought a tear to my eye.

Nitramy

John Cena and Josh Barnett (the PRIDE MMA fighter) are fans of Fist of the North Star. The latter even has "Ai wo Torimodose!" as his PRIDE entrance music.
"No, it is not your lack of experience that is your greatest flaw. It is your disdain. Your defeats will not come from those more brilliant than you. They will come from the patient, the plodding, the mediocre." - Shibumi