Ep. 055 - The Following Anime Occurs in Real Time

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 055 - The Following Anime Occurs in Real Time

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 055 - "The Following Anime Occurs in Real Time"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 105 min., 21 sec. (1:45:21) - 63.2 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:36:26

03. Solar Radio Wave (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:36:26 - 0:36:57

04. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:36:57 - 0:37:33

05. 1st Segment: "G.I.T.S. Round-up!: Ghost in the Shell - The Motion Picture (1995)"
Runtime: 0:37:33 - 1:12:24

06. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:12:24 - 1:13:17

07. 2nd Segment "What Animes Would Work Well in 'Real-Time'?"
Runtime: 1:13:17 - 1:39:34

08. Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios (YouTube Channel)
Runtime: 1:39:34 - 1:40:35

09. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:40:35 - 1:45:21

Like a bolt out of the blue, we hit you with our first entry in our new round-up series for the legendary Cyberpunk series created by Masamune Shirow, "Ghost in the Shell". It kicks off with a look back at it's maiden voyage into animation, the animated classic directed by Mamoru Oshii. Then, in light of the recent finale of "24", the gang discuss their thoughts & those of our listeners on what animes would work best if continued in a "Real Time" format!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 055 - The Following Anime Occurs in Real Time

Interesting episode, my only Ghost in the Shell exposure, is the movie, so I suppose I can look forward to more info in the Ghost in the Shell round ups.

Also as for live action adaptations, Black Lagoon sounds like a good one.
Maybe I should go sign up on the Gundamn facebook page and all, I could have thrown in something like Mezzo DSA.
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Thanks for answering my question :D

Chris, you didn't named the person I thought you would have mentionned: Wufei Chang from GW :twisted:

Neo, I'm sorry about the comment on your favorite suit :lol:
It's just that I felt very sorry for Soulbro always getting blast with his men and I decided to try to put you into a corner, but you got out of it perfectly 8) Don't worry, I like the Zeta, the Hyaku Shiki and the Strike.

Great show yet again and keep up the good work :)
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
Vent Noir

Ghost in the Shell... I liked the movie, but I was never into the TV series, and I don't really know why. It's got lots of elements I like, but... I dunno, maybe there's some sort of intangible missing.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chris
Administrator

TheSuspiciousRedLamp wrote:Chris, you didn't named the person I thought you would have mentionned: Wufei Chang from GW :twisted:
As much as I dislike Wufei, there are plenty of characters who are far worse than he is.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Soul Bro Ryu

Chris wrote:As much as I dislike Wufei, there are plenty of characters who are far worse than he is.
Quess. She tops the list. Her last name, Paraya, says it all. Might as well be pariah.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
jcncasval76

Neo, it's not Casedonia, it's Casarelia .... you've mispronounced it.

Guntank is ok, but G-Falcon is garbage ....

With regards to the real format on anime, how about Mobile Fighter G-Gundam? Just literally thought about that just seconds ago .... particularly with the Gundam Fighting Tournament.
Last edited by jcncasval76 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
jabman025

Great show guys as always

I first saw Ghost in the Shell when I was first getting in anime in the late 90's and at the time I freely admit I didn't care for it. Maybe it the plot was to far over my head, maybe I didn't get a chance to enjoy the story because it was short, maybe I didn't like the fact that you didn't get a ton of character development because it was only a movie. However, after watching Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex I became a huge fan of the series and the movie. It was only after the series did I really learn to appreicate the original movie and just how ahead of its time it really was. I love how the plot made it seem it was in the near future and still all these years later it still seems like the near future.

As for the deathnote, Nina Purpleton no question.....the things I would do for that bitch to die.........sigh.........oh well a man can dream can't he, a man can dream
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Furious Rodimus

Hey dudes, great ep!

Soul Bro, I loved the clip from Corner Gas with Keifer Sutherland in it (I loved that show!).

I'm surprised that you own so many shows you hate, but I guess that is what happens when shows aren't aired on TV. Also thanks for the Facebook mention (I'm Rod). Some really interesting shows mentioned that I hadn't thought of.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

Soul bro, you aren't the only one who hate Excel Saga I couldn't even get through the first few episodes, much less the entire thing.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
Mu La Flaga

For Excel Saga, I like most of it, but some of the episodes are insanely silly and/or annoying.
Taekmkm

Taekume.

Like May Bloom. Not Tak like the caveboy. :D
Genese Gundam

Another great episode guys!

A thought occurs though; if Seed Destiny was in 24 hours and the BTW incident was forgotten after a few hours, wouldn't it still make it the equivalent to 24 Season 6?
Spoiler
During the beginning of the season, much effort is put into stopping a nuclear bomb from falling into the wrong hands...they fail and it explodes in downtown LA....without any major fallout and is forgotten a few hours later....sound familiar?
Even if Seed Destiny was in 24 style real time it would still be disappointing...
My Stop Motion Animation Videos!

'I wear a Fez now. Fezzes are cool.'
Destiny_Gundam

Unlike Chris I actually watched Dragonaut to the very end.

It didn't get better.

I seriously only watched the show for 3 characters I liked, and one of them got killed off half way through the show.

On Ghost in the Shell, I think the first movie is overrated. I mean, I did enjoy it but it felt so lacking. I attest that to the short run time. Still, I didn't think anything about it was all that amazing. Still good, but by no means the masterpiece it's made out to be. I once watched it with a group of friends who were already anime fans, and they were bored by it.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Soul Bro, you were thinking of The Legend of Black Heaven, one of my favorite anime series. I reviewed it here for mechatalk. Definitely check out the opening sequence at least. Read the review to see how good the series was.

I'm annoyed that I've seen ALL of Stand Alone Complex except for the very last episode of 2nd Gig. I keep missing it for some reason whenever it cycles on AS. I agree that the first movie was a bit lacking in substance (probably due to the time constraints) but I really liked Innocence. I'm looking forward to seeing Solid State Society sometime. Also, would you recommend reading the manga? I'm hoping it would give some backstory on the characters because otherwise the animated works are devoid of character development.

As for series I hated but watched every episode of, that'd be Bleach on AS. Very few good qualities or redeeming moments for a show that is nearly all drawn-out filler. I need to start a thread on it, lol.

I've been trying REALLY hard to get back into drawing but I could not manage to do it until I just sat down and started sketching again while listening to this Ep. Thanks, guys. I'll show the results of that when it is finished eventually. In the interim, here is some random junk:

lol
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Destiny_Gundam

Seraphic wrote:lol
Haha, Zechs is the cure for cancer!

I really like how Noin looks in that image :D

Incidentally while listening to this ep I was baking brownies.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Red Comet90

Loved the episode. Ghost in the Shell is truly ahead of its time. Who would think that movie would be almost spot on about how we are with technology.

Soul Bro didn't mention that the manga seems to have a much lighter tone than the movie. In the movie the Major has almost no personality and acts like a complete soldier, while in the manga she's making goofy faces every few panels. :mrgreen: Going back to the differences though I feel like the movie is a better overall experience compared to the manga even if characterization is quite literally throw to the side in the movie since the movie takes the time to really show you the world and how technology has blurred the lines between man and machine. Heck the manga doesn't have any shots that just show off the city at all.

The last segment was funny. Interesting how shows like 24 were the best canidates for this segment.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
frezik

Running in a Real Time format: Gundam 0083. To cut it down to 24 hours, you'd end up cutting the parts that suck anyway (like the silly love triangle tacked on to the end), ending up with a core story that's actually pretty good. You start with a Gundamjack on earth, chase them into space, then the fleet gets blown'd up, then a final battle. You might have to do some handwaving around orbital mechanics to keep everything moving along in the necessary timeframe, but it'd hardly be the worst butchering of science ever seen.
skyknight

It's been two weeks since podcast, and by the time I finished it, only one page of replies!?

Ghost in the Shell! Does any anime fan NOT know about this? Granted that 1995 also saw the releases of Gundam Wing and N.G.E., I think Ghost in the Shell is an instant classic for all Sci-fi fans.

I remember the first time I watch it in high school, I was shocked by bloody opening scene and opening credits that featured the "birth" of Kusanagi, and yes, we do see all of Kusanagi's, but at the same time, do you wonder what makes a human and a robot/android if the element and compound are almost the same?

Just like Blade Runner's replica, what is the "self"? I do remember the emerging consciences of Kusanagi when she floats to the surface of the water, looking at the reflections of herself within the city. And the garbage man still strikes my memory, as he wanted the memories that are not "real."

And Soul Bro, how could you NOT give Ghost in the Shell your seal of approval!?

OK, 24, I stop following the series after season 2; S1 was very depressing for me to see in the end, when Jack's wife (pregnant!) was killed! And all those over-the-top action and many people getting killed around Jack... MAN when is it enough!?

But I do understand the draw of the show, and I do think real-time events could work out for anime series, however it will depend on the storyline. If it is going to be a whole series like Gundam, then no, as I need convincing characters and plot line. However if it was based on a mission that could lead to dire consequences, then yeah, let's go with it; just make sure that it is not entirely focused on one dude. I think a high stakes mission within Code Geass could work.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Seraphic wrote:In the interim, here is some random junk:

lol
That is too funny. You should do a series of "Dinner at..." of different mecha characters. That would be great.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke