Ep. 053 - The King of Gundam Fighters!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
snoops619

Re: Ep. 053 - The King of Gundam Fighters!

Such a FTS! vibe to this show. Great as ever!
Top 5 Fights (you guys covered most of these) :
1) Lockon Vs Ali - Just fantastic. Words don't do justice.

2) Athrun Vs Kira - Very emotional. Especially with the
Spoiler
deaths of Nicol and Tolle

3) Raww Vs Mu - Another great battle as you guys outlined.

4) Setsuna Vs Ribbons - Loved how it was like an "End season down-grade".

5) Amuro Vs Char - The trailblazer. The first end season fight. Gotta have a place in every Gundam fan's heart.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Furious Rodimus

jabman025 wrote:Hey gang, great show!

Maybe it is just me and Furious Rodimus but I always had a soft spot for Hot Rod. I liked his personality and his rise to glory. I think he gets bashed a lot because he was the character who was put into Optimus Prime’s shoes and he really couldn’t fill them, but really who among us could? I tend to agree that Transformers is thought so highly among the mecha community is due more to the movie then the series. I don’t know about you guys but when I saw the movie as a kid my jaw was on the floor and I was thinking “WOW cartoons can be like this!?”

Looking forward to the next show guys and the return of Chris and the troll
Yea, I had an affinity for him when I was 4/5 when your name is Rod(ney) and you're like "Hey a character with my name!" I also loved his car/flaming Winnebago designs/color schemes. I wish the writers would have been a little kinder to him in the show, or the parents/kids wouldn't have rebelled so we could watch his character fully develop as Autobot leader.

By far one of the coolest scenes in that movie is the reformatting scene of Galvatron et al. I love watching it with the lights off in the dark. As you guys said though it's amazing the level of voice talent that movie had.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Momaru

I really enjoyed this episode.
One comment I'd like to make would be that while the final battle from V gundam was sure epic, the way a certain someone dies is everything but. The guy dies not because his MS gets destroyed, but because he somehow manages to fall out of his cockpit, plummets to his death, and to ad insult to injury has his MS land on top of him and explode. Talk about pathetic. Gotta love those looser villains.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
jcncasval76

I did some reading on G.I. Joe: The movie, and apparently Transformers the movie wasn't doing too well in the box office. That's why G.I. Joe: The movie was shown on television instead. In addition, there was some sort of delays that forced TF-TM went ahead instead of GIJ:TM.

BTW, Duke was suppsed to be dead in the original version, but because of the backlash on Optimus's death (you can thank FCC for that bullshit on not letting any character die on-screen), so (in the American version) Duke was in a coma instead.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
skyknight

jcncasval76 wrote:I did some reading on G.I. Joe: The movie, and apparently Transformers the movie wasn't doing too well in the box office. That's why G.I. Joe: The movie was shown on television instead. In addition, there was some sort of delays that forced TF-TM went ahead instead of GIJ:TM.

BTW, Duke was suppsed to be dead in the original version, but because of the backlash on Optimus's death (you can thank FCC for that ZOINKS on not letting any character die on-screen), so (in the American version) Duke was in a coma instead.
That is the common explanation for why G.I. Joe: the Movie was in movie theater - TF: the Movie wasn't doing well PLUS My Little Pony: the Movie as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_The_Movie

God, would any of you believe as 5-year-old that I watch both movies? For the record, I watched My Little Pony with my childhood playmate (a Girl, please) and her mother. And with TF: the Movie, my folks complained that I cried with OP's death, I guess as with thousand of other young TF fans as well.

To be honest, TF: the Movie still sticks out for me if you ask about my childhood memories of TF's, and quite frankly I don't remember much about the seasons after the Movie. Yes, the death of OP was the BIG ONE, but at the same time, many original characters were taken out, characters that were very unique - i.e. Starscream!!! And I felt the newer characters never EVER stood out on their own. I still lament the head designs of the new characters, where they look more human-oriented (ala head with helmet), and gosh, Glavatron, Cyclonus, and Scourge look like stereotypical Nomad raiders/Huns (the long mustaches!).

I personally wouldn't rank TF: the Movie as high as you guys, and I think its memorable is because of what happen in the film and outside the film. I'm pretty sure that after TF: the Movie, toy sales were never the same as before, and TF fans will prefer G1 Wheeljack, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker over Wheelie or Blur to this day. But I DO give credit for TF: the Movie for doing something different from before, and I will continue to say this that as a TF fan, I'm not spending any penny from myself to buy the entire US TF series (unless someone give it to me FREE!), but I still hold on to the 20th An. the Movie DVD.

For me, I would say that Beast Wars (which I think should be in future spotlight with Chris on board!) is the reason that Transformers is big again. Think about, G2 didn't work - all it did was give us G1 repro with cheesy colors! And let's ask ourselves, how many of us wanted Hot Rod instead of OP!?

With Gundam fights, it all comes down to personal preference, and I agree with Neo and Soul Bro's choices.

Well, I do hope to hear from Chris soon!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Mu La Flaga

As much as I hate to nitpick at your arguement, who is to say Hot Rod in G2 is the very same one from season 3 of the Transformers?
There was a new character that had that name but a totally different design.

One of the things I see G2 failed at were simple things.
1.instead of re-releasing the original series and a select few episodes with CG enhancement, they SHOULD have made a continuing cartoon series, even though that would be kind of hard to explain why Galvatron is now Megatron again ect(although G2 Tank Megatron kicks butt)

2.The comics were decent the story going somewhere, the artwork could have been better, but it got canceled when they were going to deal with the interesting parts such as Liege Maximo ect.

3.Some of the toy recolour/re-releases, such as the Aerialbots didn't REALLY need new funky colours, ugh!. like a gold coloured Slingshot.
Some of the other toys such as Dreadwing and all that were freaking awesome a 2 team combining Decepticon jet loeaded with arnaments, I only recently got the remake Robots in Disguise toy versions.

So those would be my nitpicks at G2 it should have been more focused on how it was done.
blackrose

Maybe in there next release they will entertain issues so that they can fix for the next Gundam.