Ep. 052 - Orguns & Origins

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Re: Ep. 052 - Orguns & Origins

Chris wrote:You bastards talked about The Origin without me!!!! :shock:
Blame Soul Bro :wink:
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

Don't worry, looks like Chris will probably get his revenge when he returns from his holidays.
Probably would make you do an anime spotlight on Neon Genesis Evangelion or Rhaxephon. :P
Amuro Ray of v

I now got sometime.

Gundam the Origin was something I always wish we get, I have read all the the vols, I can't understand Japanese, I looked at the RAW and I could still understand most of the story since I know most of the MSG history and story. If only we could get it. The Battle of Loum was very sad to look at, even if I could not understand the words, its was very hard to watch it.

Detonator Orgun sounds very cool and I will check it out.

Keep up the great work guys, I love it, Chris don't worry, I am sure you will get them back. 8)
Last edited by Amuro Ray of v on Wed May 05, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
Mu La Flaga

Actually a thought just crossed my mind, is/was there name for Detonator Orgun's form before he and Tomoru merged and gained a newer form and all that?

Becaue his first form remminded me alot of a Tekkeman actually in the SRW W.
jcncasval76

Mu La Flaga wrote:Actually a thought just crossed my mind, is/was there name for Detonator Orgun's form before he and Tomoru merged and gained a newer form and all that?

Becaue his first form remminded me alot of a Tekkeman actually in the SRW W.
Yeah, when I did the search on wikipedia not long ago, I saw that one image and it instantly reminded me of the initial form of Tekkaman Blade. As I was listening to the details, Tekkaman Blade have indeed integrated a lot of elements, such as turning human into robots, and one of the oldest cliches - invasion from space creatures. Even though I never actually saw Orgun, the legacy lives through in Tekkaman Blade. speaking of TB, I start watching that but haven't finished it yet, I'll catch up with it soon. Too bad that Central Park Media went bankrupt, I would certainly wish to see the first two Machine Robo series as well.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
ZeonsSilverStar

I had no idea that The Origin went that far in the US, I was only able to make it to part where Amuro meets Ramba Ral. Anyway despite being only three episodes Detonator Orgun does sound quite interesting.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
skyknight

Oh boy,

Just read several posts before me, I'll add my thoughts at the end of this post.

Carl Macek, granted that I didn't know him until his death was mentioned in this podcast, I will give credit to his as a trailblazer in being in anime to North American (and perhaps Western Europe?). Several animes that you guys mentioned, I didn't even know until I lived in Taiwan. Yes, I have ranted about Harmony Gold in the past, but I DO NOT blame Mr. Macek for blocking further releases of Macross series, I blame only the short-sightedness and ignorance of the higher-ups of Harmony Gold for doing so. Rest in Peace, Carl Macek.

On Detonator Orgun, I think I might have seen parts of it in bootleg copies in Taiwan, since what you guys described kinda fit the description. Would be interesting in watching this, since I did watch Tekkaman Blade, and wasn't really satisfied with its ending (nor the choppy 2nd half). I did check Amazon - totally out, but I did check Netflix and they have a title for it.

Gundam: Origins, I did follow the news with its US release and it was EXTREMELY disappointed when it was stopped halfway. But I do agree with you guys for retelling the One Year War in a much mature manner and more reasonable settings, and yeah, it would be awesome if a 13-ep OVA could be based off of this, and Bandai can justified for a new RX-78 gunpla kit. Sorry Chris you had to miss this one! Hopefully you're coming back in one piece without the volcano spitting ashes around Europe!

On Code Geass Gaiden, I do hope it will be a more mature work with greater focus on the unseen side of the original Code Geass. Truth be told, I do hope a Gundam: Origins-style retelling for Code Geass down the line (10~15 yrs after).

OK, I did finished the podcast today and read all the previous posts, and I kinda of understand where jcncasval76 is coming from, since I am Chinese-American. I am sure that Neo didn't mean for a bad joke about Asians. But coming from the other side of the fence, I do meet people asking me if Chinese-Americans ever speak in the same way as the dubs of the Shaw brother's films, or even rudely - that I don't speak like Jacky Chan. Not to be politically correct on everything, but I do hope people have some room for humility and better understanding.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
jcncasval76

skyknight wrote:Oh boy,

Just read several posts before me, I'll add my thoughts at the end of this post.

OK, I did finished the podcast today and read all the previous posts, and I kinda of understand where jcncasval76 is coming from, since I am Chinese-American. I am sure that Neo didn't mean for a bad joke about Asians. But coming from the other side of the fence, I do meet people asking me if Chinese-Americans ever speak in the same way as the dubs of the Shaw brother's films, or even rudely - that I don't speak like Jacky Chan. Not to be politically correct on everything, but I do hope people have some room for humility and better understanding.
Skyknight, that was the point I was trying to convey, and to further elaborate that (time to spill my beans), I don't just grow up in that culture in the late teens, I am literally BORN into Chinese culture, and particularly with Hong Kong (and yes, I was born in Hong Kong). Inevitably, I become quite entrenched into protecting that sort of things (history & traditional culture). At the same token, I grew up appreciating what other cultures has to offer, including the Japanese anime that has been around since birth (i'm 34 now). I should also mention that I've been jumped & beaten a few times when i first arrived into this country because of what some people thought of my English at that time. With that said, I hope Neo (and others) would understand the views from "the other side of the fence".

BTW, Dikeido wa pinku ja nai!!!! (Decade is not pink!!!)
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Mu La Flaga

So as of recently I watched Detonator Orgun and I saw more of the simillarities.
Was an interesting story and everything, had some good battles and fights and overall a good watch.