Ep. 053 - The King of Gundam Fighters!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 053 - The King of Gundam Fighters!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 053 - "The King of Gundam Fighters!"
Download Now!: 64 kbps - 111 min., 58 sec. (1:51:58) - 51.2 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:17:02

03. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:17:02 - 0:17:37

04. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:17:37 - 0:18:07

05. 1st Segment: "Anime Spotlight: Transformers the Movie (1986)"
Runtime: 0:18:07 - 0:55:06

06. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:55:06 - 0:56:01

07. 2nd Segment: "The King of Gundam Fighters - Neo & SBR's Top 5 Favorite Gundam Fights!"
Runtime: 0:56:01 - 1:41:42

08. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:41:42 - 1:43:11

09. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:43:11 - 1:51:58

Neo & Soul Bro Ryu return to skeleton crew this episode, reviewing the fan-favorite animated film, Transformers the Movie. Then later, we converse about some of our favorite fights throughout the Gundam Franchise! BTW, Chris will be back in fine form next episode! Get hype! ^_^

BTW, Happy Birthday to our world traveler, Chris Guanche, which went down last Saturday (5/8)! Give our future Bald Wizard the best of Birthday wishes, gang!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah!

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
phillosmaster

Re: Ep. 053 - The King of Gundam Fighters!

Awesome review of transformers the movie. I agree about that movie really being the element that causes people to remember G1 transformers so fondly. I bought my G1 box sets a couple years ago and watched it with my friends and it was so formulaic. It was still fun to watch but only because we were reminiscing about the show. The movie on the other hand is still fun to watch on an adult level, and I can show that to people uninitiated with the show without too much prep.

I also agree with your criticisms of the movie. The junk planet sucked butt (all it took to fix ultra magnus was some super glue?). I feel the need to mention that annoying dude that always rhymed (the one that hung out with grimlock), and the micro machines guy (John Moschitta) who played Blur (The coked up transformer). They kind of lowered the tone of the movie. I liked them fine when I was a kid, but watching it now they make me cringe a bit every time they appear.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Chris
Administrator

phillosmaster wrote:who played Blur (The coked up transformer).
This is one of the best descriptions for anything, ever.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Wow! Great top five. I would have love to hear Chris's choices, but it doesn't really matter. My favorite battle would be the last 3 episodes of Gundam 00 S2. Even if a lot of people are taking a dump on the second season, I enjoyed it as much as season one. Those three last episodes are fantastic!!! The big fight with all the kamikazes, then the 3 vs 3 battle and the 1 vs 1 battle are all great stuffs!! Definitely my number one.
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
jcncasval76

For this episode, I only have these following critiques and opinions:

1. The Autobot moonbases were consumed by Unicron AFTER Starscream dumped out Megatron, Insecticons, and Skywarp as they retreated from Earth in the aftermath of their of failed invasion attempt at the Autobot City.
2. Interestingly Soul Bro forgot the fact that it was Hot Rod who fired at that invaded Autobot ship that would be landing at the Earth base, which interestingly he actually prevented a much worse masacre that it's shown in the movie.
3. to continue my first point, Megatron turned into Galvatron by Unicron a tag moment after Rodimus essentially absorbed most of the energy from the Matrix of Leadership and passed it to Ultra Magnus. Then all sorts of things including "dethroning" Starscream from coronation ceremony, and then the second assault on Earth for the Matrix.
4. Speaking of Eric Idle, who I actually have no problem with the casting overall, he was a member of Monty Python with John Cleese & Michael Palin (no relation to the Alaskan buffoon called Sarah Palin). And how can you forget about the faster talker in the world, John Moschitta Jr., as Blurr (who I could barely figure what he's talking about for most of the series)?
5. I think Transformers movie (and the Macross movie) was the forerunner to many re-made movies have done as of late, bringing up more adult content to a "kids show". The animation was mostly replicated in the Headmasters series and the latter part of TF season 3. Also, the first time I saw this movie in Hong Kong televsion, it was divided into 5-part mini-series on Hong Kong's Asian Television Limited (i'll bring up the "tragedy" of this station if necessary, long story), and in a very personal note, it was debuted not long after my grandmother's passing. To me seeing Optimus Prime dead reminded me so much of hers.
6. Junkions and Wheelie segments are fillers, especially with latter who had some run-ins with the Dinobots. They could have done that movie without it, but oh well.
7. After all the incarnations of Transformers series, I would honestly believe that Frank Welker and Peter Cullen have set such a high standard, that not even David Kaye and whoever else could top what they have accomplished. Also, same could be said to Chris Latta's voice on both Starscream and Jazz, that whoever voiced the Michael Bay version of Jazz runs a distant second, except Hugo Weaving did just as well with Starscream.
8. As for the duel within Gundam franchise, I have no complains whatsoever with regards to your selection. I would have picked some of the same selection myself as well. As for the Evangelion stuff on race car, please don't beg me to bring up Flavio Briatore because he is just as disturbing as Evangelion-colored car, as he plotted to "intentionally crash his team's car". If pundam was disturbing, so are these two things.

Well, that's all I have for now. Keep up.

P.S.: For Neo, I would send you a private message of something I said about you. BTW, I should make this clear, I have no problem with everything else that you have mentioned before, just not with regards to Shaw Brothers issue only. I'll explain later. Lastly, please don't take this personally, but when did you take your music lesson? :lol: :D
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Hyakushiki

Good show,
Well Neo, never underestimate the power of corporate synergy, case in point the Red Bull team fielded a Star Wars themed F1 car for the 2005 Monaco Gran Prix complete with stormtrooper themed race suits and helmets.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4058/
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
jcncasval76

Hyakushiki wrote:Good show,
Well Neo, never underestimate the power of corporate synergy, case in point the Red Bull team fielded a Star Wars themed F1 car for the 2005 Monaco Gran Prix complete with stormtrooper themed race suits and helmets.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4058/
it's too bad that MacLaren or Ferrari didn't pull this stunt. At least that wasn't as weird as the entire team & team car gets a "Evangelion" treatment.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Furious Rodimus

I saw the band who played Nothin's Gonna Stand in our Way and Hunger at the Regina Exhibition a few years ago. They played Hunger. And it was awesome.

I loved that movie as a kid, and I still do (obviously, hence the name). My biggest beef was that by the time Rodimus was developing in season 3 was right when the brought Optimus back which I think kind of sucks now.

Now to go finish the episode.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Soul Bro Ryu

jcncasval76 wrote:For this episode, I only have these following critiques and opinions:

1. The Autobot moonbases were consumed by Unicron AFTER Starscream dumped out Megatron, Insecticons, and Skywarp as they retreated from Earth in the aftermath of their of failed invasion attempt at the Autobot City.
2. Interestingly Soul Bro forgot the fact that it was Hot Rod who fired at that invaded Autobot ship that would be landing at the Earth base, which interestingly he actually prevented a much worse masacre that it's shown in the movie.
7. After all the incarnations of Transformers series, I would honestly believe that Frank Welker and Peter Cullen have set such a high standard, that not even David Kaye and whoever else could top what they have accomplished. Also, same could be said to Chris Latta's voice on both Starscream and Jazz, that whoever voiced the Michael Bay version of Jazz runs a distant second, except Hugo Weaving did just as well with Starscream.
1&2 - True. Should have watched the movie again before doing the review.

7. Jazz was portrayed by Scatman "Hong Kong Fooey" Caruthers until he unfortunately passed away in the '80s. Chris Latta did indeed play Starscream, as well as, Sparkplug & Wheeljack, not to mention Gung-Ho and Cobra Commander on G.I. Joe. Darius "Eddie Winslow" McCrary did as good a job as he could playing Jazz in Mikey Bay's 'Formers, but no one could replace Scatman or Chris Latta. Those dudes were all sorts of awesome.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

On some points, Neo and Soul Bro seemed not sure of.

1.Firstly the planet that got devoured in the intro to the movie was "Lithone" and even in the movie during the Quintesson stuff you met Arbelus the sole survivor who managed to escape in a shuttle.

2.The Autobots were not making an escape from Cybertron, they were actually a supply run including Energon aboad the shuttles to Autobot City on Earth.

3.Sideswipe and Sunstreaker are not colour swaps. :P
You are thinking of Prowl and Blue Streak, Iron Hide and Ratchet(the guy WITH the Red First Aid symbol on his arm and white coloured), Skywarp and Thundercracker, Laserbeak and Buzzsaw, Rumble and Frenzy.

4.You forgot to mention actually the movie introduces Blaster's cassette Autobot force in to the movie.

5.I can name a bunch of episodes where actually some Autobots and Decepticons got seriously injured in seasons 1 or 2 before the movie, seaon 3 even had 1-2 episodes where characters died during the course of some episodes.

6.When you mentioned the damaged Decepticons who got thrown out of Astrotrain, you kind of skipped over the other 1-2 new Decepticons, Scourge and Cyclonus who came from the remains of the Insecticons, Skywarp and Thundercracker.

7.You kind of jumped over the whole fight on Earth at Autobot city, which started when Hot Rod blew their cover and shot the shuttle down, by hitting it with 1-2 good shots through it.
That all happened before Optimus Prime came around and started kicking Decepticons all around the place. :P

8.As for Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime, dying inconsistencies, it was actually explained later on in seasn 3 "Return of Optimus Prime", Wreck-Gar did try to revive Optimus Prime for Rodimus Prime when they needed his help, but the only ones who could do it were the Quintessons since they did it during an earlier season 3 episode "Dark Awakening" were they brought him back to life, Wreck Gar for some odd reason did manage to fix Ultra Magnus back together again.
And it was the Sweeps who shoot Ultra Magnus apart. :P

Furthermore some of the Autobots got blown apart so not all of them could be fixed, liked Prowl who got his internal components critically damaged, Ironhide got his head blown off along with being shot numerous painful times through the chest along with Ratchet.

9.Sure the Quintessons and Junkions were kind of filler in the movie, but they served bigger roles during season 3, the Quintessons actually allying themselves with the Decepticons a few times and the Junkions with the Autobots a few times also.

10.The deal with Matrix is it has the knowledge and spirits of past Autobot leaders in the Matrix itself, it also contains the essence of Primus the one who gave all Transformers life and his essence had created stuff like Vector Sigma the super computer which gave them all life and personnalities.
Unicron and Primus in the comics were gods and also enemies, Unicron for some odd reason decided to just remain in a giant planet form with transformable abilities.

So those are some big reply points of mine they are kind of nitpicks and facts so take them either way :P

Also as for the David Kaye and Garry Chalk vs Frank Welker and Peter Cullen, I think they are comparable Beast Wars was done pretty well.

All in all I am a big Transformers fan, I'm pretty knowledagable in this stuff.
G1, Beast Wars(I did not see, Beast Machines), Robots in Disguise and a fair bit of Armada.

I could rant on forever but I don't want to take up too much space with a wall of text.
There are alot of great voice actors famous and not so famous ones in the movie.

All in all I still liked the episode, but also, there is other voices and stuff I could list Frank Welker did :P

Like Skywarp, Rumble and Frenzy, Mixmaster and 2 Auotbots Mirage and Trailbreaker.
Vent Noir

Good show as always, guys.

I was never a big Transformers fan, but the movie still sticks in my mind.

The mention of the "youngblood Autobots" gave me a mental image of Rob Liefeld drawing a Transformers comic, though. Thanks SO much for THAT...

As for fight scenes in Gundam, the duel between Heero and Zechs in Antarctica always sticks in my mind for some reason.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Wingnut

Never was a Transformers fan so I don't have anything to say about that.

I have not seen Turn-A so I don't include any fights there that qualify for this, but any fight that takes place on the surface of the Moon tends to have its own special place in my mind possibly because they don't happen that often, and the low gravity environment makes for somewhat unique fighting styles. A couple times early in Zeta, the GP-01fb vs. Val Varo fight in 0083, and the battles at Requiem in Destiny (most of which was stock footage anyway) are really all I can recall. (The action on the Lunar surface in Wing is either too brief and/or one-sided to really be called a true battle IMO, and the end of X is in Lunar orbit.)

Also of personal note is the long battle in the Endless Waltz movie featuring Zechs, Noin, Duo, Trowa, and Quatre vs. 250 or so Serpents and the five of them take down what looks like about at least half that number without killing any of the pilots. Then along comes Heero and the Twin (Bunker) Buster Rifle.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Oh god. I never want to hear Neo sing wizard metal ever again. :x :lol:

Soul Bro: the fight between Altron and Wing Zero from EW went from space to earth. Space to high and low atmosphere, at least. But yeah, they re-entered mid battle. =)

Why was this awesome again?? I think anyone who knew enough about katanas would burst into tears from seeing that. I haven't seen all of Turn-A, but I remember stumbling upon this scene on youtube a few years ago and it freaked me out so much that I was pretty much catatonic for an unknown amount of time. Of course, I also shared the horror with my friend and we always laugh about it together.

I actually really disliked the last fights from 00 between Setsuna and Ribbons. Sure the premise and setup could be considered interesting, but the actual combat itself frustrated me. It was all about the machines and not about the skill of the pilots. They both displayed some miserable swordsmanship, and that really disappointed me.

Eh, I think everyone saw this coming, but two of my favorite fights are from AC. The first is the final battle between Zero and Epyon. The high-speed chase down the corridors of Libra was so stylish and intense. The Wing Zero was just freaking unloading its machinecannons on the Epyon while Zechs did all he could to barrel roll and dodge through the fire. God damn that looked so neat. I think that's the reason why I fell in love with vulcans. Still, I am a bit sad that this last fight ended up using a little bit of stock footage also. =/

Sort of separate but related are the two duels between Wufei and Heero in Endless Waltz. Jesus christ. I think these two scenes must have had the best displays of swordplay and the physics of motion out of all of Gundam. It's downright beautiful. Every hit had so much speed, power, and weight behind it. You could tell they were not fucking around. Any single blow would have been crippling or fatal had it landed. That fight wasted no energy or time. (Unlike anything from SEED where you watch people cartwheel around and dodge colorful lasers for hours.)

The fights really displayed the skill of the pilots and the abilities of the mobile suits. You could see how frighteningly powerful the Altron was. The Wing Zero moved so gracefully. It bobbed and weaved its way around Wufei's attacks and controlled the distance between the two of them the entire time. And its attacks were horribly powerful, too. Its saber crushed in the Altron's shoulder, and that's a solid chunk of Gundanium. I'm sure it would have severed the entire arm had Wufei not managed to stop the blow in time.

And the freaking LEO held its own! Heero freaking blocked an attack from the trident and forced the Altron backward in a LEO!! Why doesn't everyone love this?!

These fights between Heero and Zechs and then Heero and Wufei also carried some excellent philosophical debates with them, so I've always enjoyed that aspect to them.

Anyway, I have a really obscure honorable mention which is Heero's fight in Ep.5, I think, which was called "Relena's Secret". It happens while Relena and Dr. J are discussing Heero, and we see him take on a squad of OZ suits as the conversation goes on. He just wails on everybody with ALL of the Wing Gundam's weapons. I mean, he dropped his shield and was using the buster rifle and beam saber at the same time. That was awesome. And I loved how he fired down on those Leos and tore them up with all of his machineguns going at once. It was short and sweet, but spectacular to watch.

The Transformers movie sounds interesting. One of my main complaints about Transformers was that no one would ever die, so their weapons seemed useless and there was no tension in the episodes. The movie seems to fix that. I will look it up when I find the time. I still haven't seen the 2nd Bay film due to lack of interest, lol.

(I'm listening to the OST for Kirby Super Star Ultra right now. It is awesome.)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
CidHighwind

What, no mention of the early fight in ZZ where Judau pulls a Fist of the North Star with the Zeta?

Oh, come on, its worth an honorable mention! :roll:
jcncasval76

Mu La Flaga wrote: 1.Firstly the planet that got devoured in the intro to the movie was "Lithone" and even in the movie during the Quintesson stuff you met Arbelus the sole survivor who managed to escape in a shuttle.

2.The Autobots were not making an escape from Cybertron, they were actually a supply run including Energon aboad the shuttles to Autobot City on Earth.

3.Sideswipe and Sunstreaker are not colour swaps. :P
You are thinking of Prowl and Blue Streak, Iron Hide and Ratchet(the guy WITH the Red First Aid symbol on his arm and white coloured), Skywarp and Thundercracker, Laserbeak and Buzzsaw, Rumble and Frenzy.

4.You forgot to mention actually the movie introduces Blaster's cassette Autobot force in to the movie.

5.I can name a bunch of episodes where actually some Autobots and Decepticons got seriously injured in seasons 1 or 2 before the movie, seaon 3 even had 1-2 episodes where characters died during the course of some episodes.

6.When you mentioned the damaged Decepticons who got thrown out of Astrotrain, you kind of skipped over the other 1-2 new Decepticons, Scourge and Cyclonus who came from the remains of the Insecticons, Skywarp and Thundercracker.

7.You kind of jumped over the whole fight on Earth at Autobot city, which started when Hot Rod blew their cover and shot the shuttle down, by hitting it with 1-2 good shots through it.
That all happened before Optimus Prime came around and started kicking Decepticons all around the place. :P

8.As for Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime, dying inconsistencies, it was actually explained later on in seasn 3 "Return of Optimus Prime", Wreck-Gar did try to revive Optimus Prime for Rodimus Prime when they needed his help, but the only ones who could do it were the Quintessons since they did it during an earlier season 3 episode "Dark Awakening" were they brought him back to life, Wreck Gar for some odd reason did manage to fix Ultra Magnus back together again.
And it was the Sweeps who shoot Ultra Magnus apart. :P

Furthermore some of the Autobots got blown apart so not all of them could be fixed, liked Prowl who got his internal components critically damaged, Ironhide got his head blown off along with being shot numerous painful times through the chest along with Ratchet.

9.Sure the Quintessons and Junkions were kind of filler in the movie, but they served bigger roles during season 3, the Quintessons actually allying themselves with the Decepticons a few times and the Junkions with the Autobots a few times also.

10.The deal with Matrix is it has the knowledge and spirits of past Autobot leaders in the Matrix itself, it also contains the essence of Primus the one who gave all Transformers life and his essence had created stuff like Vector Sigma the super computer which gave them all life and personnalities.
Unicron and Primus in the comics were gods and also enemies, Unicron for some odd reason decided to just remain in a giant planet form with transformable abilities.

Also as for the David Kaye and Garry Chalk vs Frank Welker and Peter Cullen, I think they are comparable Beast Wars was done pretty well.
Mu, let me add some more points on what you said:

the planet "lithone" wasn't mentioned until Hod Rod & Kup got stuck in Quintessan jail cell and Kranix, one of the prisoner who later got chewed out by Sharkticons, pronounced of his origin. The supply run was true, and Megatron found that out because Laserbeak (that damn birdy Decepticon) spied on the conversation between Optimus & Ironhide. the massacre in the Autobot transport ship was quite a shock for me, but if you come to think about it, once the decepticons regained Cybertron, you'll realize how Megatron's blast was so lethal - it is fully charged. So the likes of Brawn and Ironhide couldn't escapt their demise at all, especially Megatron essentially pulled a "Pearl Harbor" on Ironhide's shuttle. It's ironic that when both sides were on Earth, they weren't able to do any slaughtering, but it's done in the movie instead. Lastly, if you have noticed what sort of damage that Megatron's blasts had done to the Autobots, just look at how Prowl's expression, those shots were so hot that not even their sparks survived.

Then, another thing nobody mentioned was that part of the Autobot city is really Metroplex, but he got stuck in the city mode because of the onslaught by Megatron's crew. As far as Blaster (Broadcast/Twincast in Japan) goes, he and Perceptor were in the communication tower when Soundwave's cassette bots attacked, and that's when Blaster's cassettes made their big debut along with Ultra Magnus and others. As for after the initial onslaught, that's when Galvatron & company made a jump on Magnus's side while they made their escape and search for other Autobots.

One funny thing about the deaths in this movie, it was also a precursor to the Japanese-exclusive Headmaster series, in which they managed to kill off Ultra magnus, Soundwave, Blaster, and Optimus (again, but this time in the Vector Sigma chamber) in the show.

I remember Skywarp and the Insecticons were jettisoned, but are you sure Thundercracker was on that list too? BTW, as soon as Megatron was jettisoned, did you see the egos with Astrotrain as they duked out in the cargo bay? No wonder even Astrotrain hated Starscream ... :lol: :lol:
Mu La Flaga

Well there were 2 jets and yeah Thundercracker and Skywarp got jettisoned, Thundercracker became Scourge and Skywarp became Cyclonus.

The Insecticons pretty much got turned in to the Sweeps(Scourge clones) and all that.

As for the damage part, yeah I know, but there are episodes where they do sometimes take a rather bad hit or so.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue May 18, 2010 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
wielder

Thanks, Neo. Good to know more people are looking forward to the Legend of the Galactic Heroes game. :)

I imagine they won't try to make it too complex, all things considered, but I'm definitely interested.

As for the list of favorite Gundam fights, those were some good picks overall. The franchise is full of memorable fights and there will be many more to come, but those mentioned are surely among the best.

Regarding the Transformers movie, I'm pretty much in agreement. It's a decent cartoon film with a great 10-20 minutes but the rest of it never really lives up to the emotional investment of the initial Decepticon invasion and the Prime vs. Megatron fight. The voice cast was talented enough but you do get the feeling that Hot Rod needed more of a character arc instead of just ending up as the Autobot leader through a glorified process of elimination. That said, I really like the visual design of Unicron, most of the music is cheesy but still works and the animation was high quality throughout. Certainly not bad for something ultimately meant to serve as a toy commercial.

For some reason though, I seem to remember that the TV show occasionally became a bit weird and relatively experimental during the season following the movie. There was still a fair amount of the usual goofy antics of the original series but some episodes seemed like they were trying to reach a slightly older audience. Maybe I'm wrong though...haven't seen any of the episodes in years.

All in all, this was a good episode but it's nice to know Chris should be back soon enough. I miss Troll too. :lol:
Soul Eater, the True Rune
jabman025

Hey gang, great show!

Maybe it is just me and Furious Rodimus but I always had a soft spot for Hot Rod. I liked his personality and his rise to glory. I think he gets bashed a lot because he was the character who was put into Optimus Prime’s shoes and he really couldn’t fill them, but really who among us could? I tend to agree that Transformers is thought so highly among the mecha community is due more to the movie then the series. I don’t know about you guys but when I saw the movie as a kid my jaw was on the floor and I was thinking “WOW cartoons can be like this!?”

Oh and Soul Bro you missed a golden opportunity, you should have Dare to be Stupid as the background music for the lead out. Stupid as it may be it would have been funny as hell.

Now as for my personal top 5 battles in Gundam in no particular order

1. Celestial Being vs. the GN-X armada, really the first time you saw the Gundams outgunned, and the first time you knew the rules had changed.
2. Kira Yamato in Freedom vs. Rau La Cruset in Providence, Seed didn’t have a lot of dramatic battles but when they did they were amazing
3. The 8th MS Team vs. Norris Packard in Gouf Custom, I’m not sure “intense” is a strong enough word for this battle
4. Londo Bell vs. Marida Cruz in Kyshatryia, really a two part battle inside and outside the colony, here’s hoping Kyshatryia vs. Unicorn is just as good in part 2.
5. Amuro Ray in Gundam vs. Char in Zeong, this fight is intense, nasty, and all out. Plus the fact that is just keeps going and going makes it truly epic.

Looking forward to the next show guys and the return of Chris and the troll
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Bob Smith

That was another great episode.

I liked the bit about the fight scenes especially, and agreed with pretty much all of them.

My top 5 would be:

5) The fight on the Moon's surface in Turn-A between Loran and the Mahiroo squad, first in the canal then in the city. The bit where the Turn-A leaps out of the water and throws off its cape is completely badass.
4) Acguy vs EZ8 from 08th MS Team. It's very short, but it's also really brutal and gives a good view of mech melee combat. Also it shows how despite looking goofy, Zeon aquatic MS are pretty vicious.
3) The first fight of CCA, with the ReGZ vs Char's fleet. It's a lot more intense than the Nu vs Sazabi fight, in my opinion.
2) The Gundam capture operation from midway through 00 S1, where you've got every enemy ace fighting and Ali nearly killing Setsuna. The reveal of the Thrones was an amazing cliffhanger.
1) The Z'Goks and Hygoggs assaulting the shuttle base at the start of 0080. Again, it's not really an action-y fight but it's stunningly animated and really intense. Also it was the first Gundam show I ever watched, so there's nostalgia too.

That's not to say what you discussed is bad - they're all solid scenes which are pretty exciting - but I prefer the scrappier, more rough fights rather than the big showdowns of heroes.

Perhaps a feature on the most badass grunts in Gundam/mecha in general is in order?
My Sprite Art - I take requests!
Red Comet90

Great Episode guys! It was hilarious and I'd have to agree with Neo, I think that the battle with Master Asia, and Devil Gundam were the greatest battle of G Gundam although I like to stretch it out to the end. It all feels like one continuous fight to me.

Btw did you guys get the idea for the Gundam Battles from my suggestion in the suggestion thread or was it spur of the moment?
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn