Strike Zero's Mecha Studio : We've got stuff.

The place to share your artwork.
Turinu

Re: Strike Zero's Mecha Studio : Back in the game!

I'd have to choose the second one; the first one would be for a more action-y, in-motion design, since it's flowing upwards. Since he's at a standstill, it should be downwards even if the wind was blowing, unless he was standing on a cliche street vent. :o
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Strike Zero wrote:Alright, I need help, men. I can't seem to decide which hairstyle I like more: this one or this one, so I'm leaving the decision up to whoever can most adequately convince me which is best one way or the other.

I hereby await Mechatalk's insightfulness.
I prefer the first one. It flows better with the stance of the character. I can't recall the exact term, but in drawings, there are certain lines of action your eye should immediately follow. The first version has two of them and uses them in an interesting way. The first one flows from the hair down through the leg of the character's stance. The second one comes from the sword. You notice that these lines of action cross, so that gives the picture an interesting flow and focus.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Strike Zero

Shori wrote:I'd have to choose the second one; the first one would be for a more action-y, in-motion design, since it's flowing upwards. Since he's at a standstill, it should be downwards even if the wind was blowing, unless he was standing on a cliche street vent. :o
I'mma just'a say that Shori's not as observant as I thought when it comes to discerning the various variances in human anotomy.

So I've got one guy who says one looks better because it's more correct, and another who says the other is better because it looks more art-sy? Both are equally good reasons -- that doesn't help me out at all!

Ah, screw it, everbody gets both.

Shinzengar, hair suspended
Shinzengar, hair at rest

Model Number: DGG-XAM4
Code Name: Shining Generation Guardian; "Shinzengar"
Unit type: Dynamic General Guardian
Height: 30.3 meters
Weight: 91.2 metric tons
Equipment: Direct-Motion Link System
Fixed Armaments: Neo Blaster (mounted on chest)
Hand Armaments: Zankantou-M

"WAGA ZANKANTOU NI! TATENU MONO NASHI~!!"
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Turinu

Sorry, my glasses were gone when I replied last time, so I did not make out the boobs. :P
Strike Zero

Hello, hello everyone! The time has come for me to show off some more stuff.

Recently, I've been busying myself by participating in a few Draw-threads that have been popping up on 4chan's /m/. How do they work? Well, basically, random people submit requests for people to draw, which is followed by more random people drawing them and posting the results. By participating in these threads, i've been given the chance for a good deal of practice sketching characters and coloring them in Photoshop, in particular when it comes drawing female characters. And since, of course, all of them are mecha-anime related in some fashion, I figured I'd post them up here to be viewed as well.

From my perspective, each successive piece boasts a slight boost in overall quality as I continued to practice, but I'll leave deciding that much up to you people.

Now, without further ado, for your viewing pleasure/displeasure:

- Lune Zoldark from SRW dressed in a Titan's uniform.
- Lune and Allenby from G Gundam cosplaying as each other.
- Valsione and Cybuster. There is in fact something specific being said here, but I'll go ahead and leave that to your imagination. ^^
- Some original Megaman character. Throwing a Pokemon. For some reason. (I don't ask, I just draw, okay?!)
- Aoi from Dancougar Nova, and Kallen from Code Geass. (SYMMETRICAL DOCKING!)
- Enil El from Gundam X.
- Iris from Megaman X. (Wait...)
- The Nadesco girls. (Warning: this one is mildly risqué.)

Most, if not all of them were done by using whatever official art of the characters I could find as reference, while also sketching off of them to ensure accuracy, which I feel helped to contribute to the overall quality of the sketches. It's sort of cheating, perhaps, but it's also a start.

That's about it for now. As usual, comments/critiques/criticisms are always appreciated. =)
tehprognoob

Re: Strike Zero's Mecha Studio : We've got stuff.

@ symmetrical docking:
LOL
btw, i noticed that your lines are pretty rough. how do you clean your lineart? i have no success battling the legions of stray pixels on my lineart -_-
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Strike Zero

tehprognoob wrote:how do you clean your lineart?
Manually.

Yes, that means exactly what you think it means. I go over the entire picture with my paintbrush tool, removing any stray lines or spots that I don't like, and re-painting all of the lines I want to make bolder or cleaner with black. Unfortunately, to attempt to do this for all of the imperfections is more or less an act of futility, so I usually end up leaving the lines that look passable enough alone, hence the "rough" look. However, I happen to like the way the look looks, so, there you go. :P

How long this takes depends on how clean my drawing was to start with. No matter how careful I am though, it always ends up taking quite a long time. Were I blessed enough to own a different version of Photoshop (i.e. Photoshop CS), there is a certain tool I could use that would make the process a whole lot easier and the final product ultimately better, but sadly, that is not the case. -_-

Oh, well. It is what it is.
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

Strike Zero wrote:
tehprognoob wrote:how do you clean your lineart?
Manually.

Yes, that means exactly what you think it means. I go over the entire picture with my paintbrush tool, removing any stray lines or spots that I don't like, and re-painting all of the lines I want to make bolder or cleaner with black. Unfortunately, to attempt to do this for all of the imperfections is more or less an act of futility, so I usually end up leaving the lines that look passable enough alone, hence the "rough" look. However, I happen to like the way the look looks, so, there you go. :P
it's better then in my case. I rarely do any real clean up with the line art. I'll only do touch ups if something looks out of place or whatnot as I darken the lines. for some reason my lineart is always like three times lighter then I think it is.

....and edit. totally forgot to say anything actually useful.
of the top, Lune in the titian's outfit looks very well done, on the double cosplay image though Lune's left leg as one really acquired looking muscular detail line on the inner thigh.
Following that, the Val-Cy image makes me think something along the line of what's being said, "Are you serious? are you just trying to catch as many fetishes as possible?"
The symmetrical docking image...I think you should have put their entire torso's closer together to make it look more natural, as it stands now it looks like someone lifted their funbags up and had them step exactly close enough that they'd touch and let go.
and...yeah I think that'll be it for me.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
Strike Zero

Strike Zero is bumping his thread. It must be the end of the world. =O

As it happens, he has with him a new mecha girl.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... -color.png

This one's kinda okay.
Wingnut

I don't think anyone's ever done that particular suit before. Nice touch with the partial infection too.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
tehprognoob

I must say, it's really scary, and the look on her face really turned me off.

Strike Zero

So, anybody remember this sorry attempt at drawing a female mechanic character?

Well, I drew her again, and it's better now.

W00t. 8)
tehprognoob

it is e.....e

p.nice

Strike Zero

You know, dude, sometimes the posts you make serve only to baffle me. >.>