Spontaneous Art Contest: Vote Casting

The place to share your artwork.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Spontaneous Art Contest: Vote Casting

Son of a beotch. =o

The poll limits at 10 options, so we'll have to do this the old fashioned way: COUNTING, lol. PM me with your vote, citing which artist and entry. If the artist has multiple entries, PLEASE specify which one. To avoid the 50 billion emails, I'm going to turn off the email notification for my PMs for the time.

Poll closes April 11th 11:59pm.

As for this thread, you may discuss which entry you voted for and why. However, I'm going to personally avoid giving full-on critiques of the artwork to avoid giving the entries any negative light. I'll try to start those critiques after voting closes, so look forward to that, participants.

To make things more interesting, tell us which of the entries would you deploy in your own personal military and why?

Here are the prize artists:

Seraphic
crashlegacy14
jjarodurandal
SolidSpidr
Shori

Plus a surprise guest, and also whoever feels like having a crack at the collaboration. The prize of the contest will be a single art request filled out with a unique interpretation by each of the prize artists. If the prize artists could post their results in this thread as they finish, that'd be great.

Anyhow, here are the entries in some sort of chronological order:

Most Unlikely Grunt Upgrade

1. ShadowCell: Zondo Zel

2. Red Zaku: Leopard Daughtress Full Burst

3. Red Zaku: Leo TST

4. Dark Duel: GNX-P902 Tsukuyomi

5. Shori: Leo EX

6. Zangetsu: Leo II

7. Haruma: Jesta Qan[T]

8. erikvonkreigler: GM Diver

9. Seraphic: Aries II "Sky Scorcher"

10. tehprognoob: Zaku Gunner Beta

11. tehprognoob: Union Overflag Desert Model

12. wantfastcars: Leo Mk. 9001

13. volnixshin: GM Cannon...based...thing.

14. Gone Astray: Leo Pride

15. Strike_Rouge_MkII: BuCUE Sniper Hound

16. Josh: GN-X Ground Enforcer Type

17. Josh: Maganac II

18. Outlaw: Zaku Egress

19. crashlegacy14: RX-10 Zee-G Militant

20. SolidSpidr: Murphy J

Wow, 20 entries. Quite a surprising turn-out for a random contest started after such a long time.

Anyway, I'll be counting votes for the next week and I'll post the vote distribution in that time. Also, since we're doing this thing by hand now, I'll be taking votes from those who comment on dA on the contest. It's still ONE VOTE PER PERSON, so don't try any account BS to double your votes. I know who everyone is. If you attempt this, I will reach through your monitor and snap your neck. =o

Okay...let me turn off the PM notices and....

Vote!!

Edit: This is the dA link for those who would like to help me keep track of that.

And when voting, I recommend you just vote for the entry rather than the artist. This shouldn't be a popularity contest. Vote for whichever piece you like best, or for the one you think most deserves to win. Simple enough, right?
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Seraphic

Re: Spontaneous Art Contest: Vote Casting

Who would be against adding this entry to the list?

viewtopic.php?p=277790#p277790

It has already lost votes by the virtue that it was late. I think that's a rather fair trade.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

Seraphic

Okie dokie. Polls closed. Here are the entries with vote distributions, values of 0 votes dropped:

ShadowCell: Zondo Zel (1 VOTE)

Dark Duel: GNX-P902 Tsukuyomi (1 VOTE)

Shori: Leo EX (2 VOTES)

Strike_Rouge_MkII: BuCUE Sniper Hound (1 VOTE)

Josh: GN-X Ground Enforcer Type (6 VOTES)

Outlaw: Zaku Egress (1 VOTE)

crashlegacy14: RX-10 Zee-G Militant (2 VOTES)

Some small notes:

Outlaw received his vote from Rekkou from dA. That's rather impressive.

Josh received two of his votes from girls who like teh mechz. Rather miraculous.

And I'm extremely disappointed by the fact that the number of votes tallied is LOWER than the number of entries. What the hell?? The contestants don't even keep up and vote in the contest?? Looks like there's a lot of people I'm gonna have to shank. :evil:

Anyway, Josh's GN-X variant wins by a rather large margin. Congratulations, sir! =o

So, think up of a request and lay it on us. To remind you again, the prize artists are Crash, jjarodurandal, SolidSpidr, Shori, and myself. Most of us doodle, Shori may want to franken, and I guess you are familiar enough with our work to make an appropriate request. I would personally like to try something in an action pose. =o

With the polls closed, I would like to thank everyone for their participation and contributions to make this a successful contest. Let's see how the collab turns out. And you guys don't have to be so silent about your votes anymore, lol.

(PM notification: turn ON!)
-Antares

Strike Zero

Congratulations to Josh and all of the runner-ups that got voted for -- yous guys produced some fine quality pieces.

Will be looking forward to the next Mechatalk Art Contest. Hopefully I'll be able to actually complete something for it in time for the voting. =P
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Turinu

Next time find a way to properly set up a poll, even if you have to use two topics. I'm sure the "PMing you" or "Posting comments on DA" is what drove down the vote count. :P

Gratzi, Josh.
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

wow that's a large win margin. apparently painting your mecha gold is actually a good idea. or you know making your coloring job look totally pimped out. and...or ..well you get the idea. ... knew I should have added shinnies to my entry. xD

Grats of course go you to Josh.

I'll point out that like what Sera said I'd love to do some sort of 'in action' thing. I'm quite bored with all the standing around drawings I've been doing. oh and Sera here's your Shanking Device.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
Josh

Well damn. I'm still in disbelief here.

Thanks everyone, I honestly was expecting to not get a single vote let alone 6, and for my GN-X too. I'll get back to you Seraphic with what I decide on sometime within the next day or so.
ShadowCell

I voted for Josh's GN-X, partly because Josh's GN-X is pretty cool and partly 'cuz I found it in bad taste to vote for myself. =P

Congrats, Josh!
crashlegacy14

I voted for ...Shori's Leo myself. and yeah I definitely think it's bad taste to vote for yourself.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Outlaw

OK, before I get shanked I want to go on record as saying that I typically don't vote in contests I'm part of, I believe the same is true for the two or three art contests I've done here already. Right, I'm ready to die my horrible shanky death now.

On a second note who is Rekkou? I don't frequent deviant art so I'm not familiar with its particular sub-culture. Don't get me wrong I'm flattered for every vote I ever get I just don't recognize the name is all. :P
Edit: Just checked out Rekkou's Deviant Art gallery, some really awesome designs in there! I really liked the head on his Arvalor design.

Lastly congrats to Josh for the win! I really liked all the entries for this contest, it was always interesting when a new one was posted. I'd say "everyone was a winner" but it's currently Monday afternoon and not Saturday morning, so we'll have to go without.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
SolidSpidr

Well before I die of rapid blood loss, congrats Josh and I'm curious what you'll have us prize artists do for you (If I'm still alive to draw). Also I thought the votes closed on the 21st, whoops.
“The school of the undefeated East!”
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
“Look! The East is burning red!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
crashlegacy14

lol bad spider. I wonder, besides me and Shori plugging the contests voting -I failed to do so for the actual contest XD- on DA, how did we (read Sera) promote the contest voting?
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Seraphic

Shori wrote:Next time find a way to properly set up a poll, even if you have to use two topics. I'm sure the "PMing you" or "Posting comments on DA" is what drove down the vote count. :P
I wouldn't use two topics. People may vote once in each poll, which could screw up the counts. The last contest was partially done through PMs by lalahsghost and Ezero8, so I don't see why that's such a big deal. Maybe I should have done a poll after I received the PMs since they narrowed down the list. I think if we do another contest we should do a two-tier process like that to narrow the list and allow for a proper poll.

Otherwise, we could use a third party site like surveymonkey or whatever to handle the poll, but I haven't played with them before, and don't know if they can handle our hotlinks. Besides, the third party polls might even scare people off more so than the PMs.

In short, I suck at this.
crashlegacy14 wrote:lol bad spider. I wonder, besides me and Shori plugging the contests voting -I failed to do so for the actual contest XD- on DA, how did we (read Sera) promote the contest voting?
Asides from our old friend Nightwing who responded directly to my journal, the only other dA voters were ones that I contacted personally either through comments or through personal notes. In other words, the journal announcements didn't work because they were too passive. Even my best friend who has a dA account didn't vote, but he always has a stick up his ass when it comes to having any interest in what I'm doing, so whatever.

I know we're working with small numbers, but the dA voters consisted of about 40% of our votes. I'm hoping to keep that audience with us if we continue with more contests.
crashlegacy14 wrote:oh and Sera here's your Shanking Device.
Thank you, sir. Now to start the slowest, most horrible shanking spree you've ever witnessed. (gratuitous violence warning)
-Antares

crashlegacy14

Seraphic wrote:
crashlegacy14 wrote:oh and Sera here's your Shanking Device.
Thank you, sir. Now to start the slowest, most horrible shanking spree you've ever witnessed. (gratuitous violence warning)
any sort of response I might have had was just tossed out my mind. thank you sir for the disarmingly awesome video link.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Strike_Rouge_Mk2

I want to hug whoever voted for me. xD
Zeonic Glory wrote:Sorry to ask this but, what does kawaii mean?
Be kawaii and visit the Art and Multimedia section.
Turinu

Strike_Rouge_Mk2 wrote:I want to hug whoever voted for me. xD
*Opens his arms wide.* Hug away, then. <3

I think it was the chibi BuCUE that eventually dragged me in, but I liked the fact you tackled something completely different than a mobile suit, and did a good job to boot. :P
Strike_Rouge_Mk2

Shori wrote:
Strike_Rouge_Mk2 wrote:I want to hug whoever voted for me. xD
*Opens his arms wide.* Hug away, then. <3

I think it was the chibi BuCUE that eventually dragged me in, but I liked the fact you tackled something completely different than a mobile suit, and did a good job to boot. :P
*Hugs*

I was hoping to get more votes for "unexpected" too, but alas.. Thanks for the vote though, and I love compliments :D

*Edit* And Sera, I think this would be better for stabbing http://delphinescarlett.files.wordpress ... -knife.jpg xD
Zeonic Glory wrote:Sorry to ask this but, what does kawaii mean?
Be kawaii and visit the Art and Multimedia section.
Seraphic

Josh is still working out some ideas, and will likely bring a request to our attention after he finishes his current project. Just thought I would put that out there so the artists are not on edge waiting for their assignments.
Strike_Rouge_Mk2 wrote:*Edit* And Sera, I think this would be better for stabbing http://delphinescarlett.files.wordpress ... -knife.jpg xD
Well, I've always been a fan of stabbing people with blunt objects. It's much harder to impale someone on a 2x4 than it is to shank them, you know? But when you do it, you know you put that much work into it, so it pays off.

mcred, by the way, voted for ShadowCell after the contest closed either for irony's sake, or to avoid a shanking. I wanted to ask if anyone is willing to whip up some "I Voted" and "Contest Participant" icons/badges for people to have? Preferrably ones with a sense of humor. I would appreciate it.

=o
-Antares

tehprognoob

Huh? Oh, I forgot about this whole thing! Not even a SINGLE vote???? >:@
EDIT: YAY! AEUG Slapping Boy! W8...that's kinda wrong...
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force