Ep. 049 - Macross March Madness!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Flame-X

Re: Ep. 049 - Macross March Madness!

Destiny_Gundam wrote: Sure, I'd buy it :D
Would you like to buy my copy as well? :)
Kaioshin Sama

I guess it's kind of a new phenomenon but the whole fanboy rank voting wars wasn't pointed out and ridiculed during the topic.

Basically what this one is all about is that the die hard fanboys will spend hours making fake accounts and spamming scores in favour of their favourite shows and unfavourably towards other popular ones on sites like ANN and MAL (the latter of which is to anime what Gamefaqs is to consoles) in an effort to manipulate these sites top 100 anime ranking lists so that their favourite show will be at the number one spot. This is often followed up by them then hitting the forums and bragging about how their favourite show is better than everyone elses because it has a higher rank and this continues until somebody does the same with their favourite show and spams fake low scores against the current #1 ranked show in order to bump it down the list and get their favourite show to the top of it. It typically becomes a seesaw from there and the result is hilarious if sad to watch (especially when you can see the total votes cast) as shows wildly change averages over night, the votes get noticeably inflated and the conversations seesaw back and forth at pretty much the same speed as the fanboys jeer, cheer, rant, rave and I would assume if they could meet in person would flex their muscles at each other in a display of primal idiocy.

Make no mistake though, it's incredibly serious business for the fans of shows involved in it and borders on sport. It's like whoever has their favourite show inflated into the number one rank is in possession of the ball and can start dunking on people in the forum and the other team has to try and steal the ball by inflating their favourite show into the number one rank so that they can do the same. Since it can potentially go on forever though nobody ever "wins". :roll:
Destiny_Gundam

Flame-X wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote: Sure, I'd buy it :D
Would you like to buy my copy as well? :)
I only need one! If anyone (preferably Canadian) seriously wants to give (or sell for cheap) their copy to me, contact me via e-mail or PM.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote: I only need one! If anyone (preferably Canadian) seriously wants to give (or sell for cheap) their copy to me, contact me via e-mail or PM.
I don't have G-Savior, but I have some other DVDs you could buy.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Destiny_Gundam

hawk of endymion wrote:I don't have G-Savior, but I have some other DVDs you could buy.
Like what?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:I don't have G-Savior, but I have some other DVDs you could buy.
Like what?
email me
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
bertman4

In terms of talking Gundam in a direction that hasn't been seen before, it's interesting that you guys mention far future scenarios where FTL exists and other solar systems have been colonized. I would suggest taking a look at the excellent RPG game setting of Heavy Gear by Dream Pod 9. The setting is more Votoms inspired than Gundam, but it has some truly excellent story lines. Here's the wiki entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Gear
Heavy Gear is set on a distant, fictional planet called Terra Nova around 4,000 Earth Standard Years from now (6132 AD). Terra Nova was once the pride of the United Earth Government's colonies. However, an economic collapse forced the UEG government to abandon Terra Nova and all its other colonies centuries before the period depicted in the game setting, leaving Terra Nova in a dark age. Eventually, City-States rose from the ashes and either through treaties or tyranny, united to form national unions called Leagues. These Leagues would in turn ally (again either peacefully or forcibly) to form the superpower blocs that dominated the temperate southern and northern hemispheres of the planet.

Several major wars take place over time, including the War of the Alliance. A new dictatorial government on Earth attempts to re-take its former colonies by force using its own war machines of hover tanks and armies of purple skinned GREL super soldiers (Genetically Recombinant Expeditionary Legionaries). In this war both the North and the South cooperate together to fight off the Colonial Expeditionary Force, some of which is abandoned on the planet and form the Port Arthur city-state.
Bertman
skyknight

Better manage my time well, as I am getting behind the Gundamn! eps.

On fanboyism, oh no, its us versus them all over again. I do think its human nature to have rival-ism and dualism, as people do want to have a self-identity from the rest. But should that lead to vicious attacks of any forms, I say no. I do hope people try to keep an open mind and a wide-angle to look around. As stated in my previous posts, I do hope fans respect of what came before them. FF fans appreciating what FF I ~ III did on the Famicom, and FF IV~VI on Super Famicom/Nintendo before declaring that FF VII is the only best FF title.

But at the same time I would like o'skools to respect new directions that are taken - granted that I will NEVER buy a TF:Animated toy (look more goofy than RoTF ones), I would watch the whole series rather than the original G1 series (this may be HERSEY!). And I like the character depth in Beast Wars, and I agree Beast Machines can be thrown in the trash can.

On Infernal Affairs vs. Departed, somebody outta give the first Infernal Affairs some kudos for the "gray" moral ending (as well as Andy Lau and Tony Leung!). I didn't like the bloody mess at the end of the Departed.

Macross, I know its getting old, but please someone release the whole series for everyone outside of Japan, I am willing to accept on-line streaming with subtitles only!

I watched only both Zero and Frontier, and I agree with most of you say. Zero left me very confused, as it clashed with my childhood memories of Robotech/Macross, I wished for better explanation of the Anti-UN forces. Frontier, yeah, I'm no fan of lollipops (not taking shots on all Pedo Bears), so Klan-klan's mutation didn't make sense at all, what could work is that Klan-klan is older than Micheal and she's a better ace and a superior officer (similar to what Micheal's sister was in) while caring for Micheal as a surrogate sister. But that's nothing, what offended me more was the backseat roles for all the ladies in Code Geass: R2, I mean we already had anoying Kaguya in S1, but then they added super-loli Tianzi, who looks up to Kaguya! OH, WTF! I do hope for a similar roundup that talk about mecha shows that were in the same year/decade.

I do hope the Frontier movie can clear out somethings, and Soul Bro, you're one brave man to give a seal of approval without checking the content.

Til next time!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Mu La Flaga

On a small note of recently re-listening to this episode, I would say admittingly I still think Beast Wars Megatron is one of the best interpretations and is up there along with animated Megatron as a mannipulator and all that.

I mean he decided to take a huge risk, going back to Earth from the Golden Disk he obtained, learned the location of Earth.
He almost killed Optimus Prime, when that failed he asborbed the original Megatron's Spark and later tried to wipe out the Ark and all of it's occupants.

If Megatron had sometimes focused on his plans more in depth, he would have had a serious chance at victory.

Also Neo props to you for bashing on Austin on the whole video game fanboyism.