Another Century's Episode R

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
AmuroNT1

Another Century's Episode R

Scans from the latest Famitsu have just confirmed the fourth game in the ACE series, coming to the PS3. Series included (so far):

Zeta Gundam
Char's Counterattack
*Crossbone Gundam
*Gundam Seed Destiny
*Super Dimensional Century Orguss
Overman King Gainer
*Full Metal Panic!
*Code Geass
*Genesis of Aquarion
*Macross Zero
*Macross Frontier

http://img401.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=1270604521185.jpg

Let me say this to start: I'm giggling like a schoolgirl. :D
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Re: Another Century's Episode R

Wow, this sounds fantastic. It's unfortunate I haven't watched most of those series, however! :lol:

Bah, they're gonna drop GW, aren't they? Well, I really hope they find a way to revamp the melee system and combat in general. The gameplay in ACE2 felt really repetitive and most of the mechs did not feel different from each other in gameplay. Also, the game needs some kind of system that tells you where attacks are coming from. And they need to find a way to make bosses hard other than the virtue that they have stupidly high defense/HP. It's kind of retarded when you hit someone with 10 tactical nukes and they STILL won't go down.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
AmuroNT1

I dunno if GW will be in or not, but considering they didn't even pretend to bother with EW's plot in games 2 or 3... Either way, it's a safe bet that this isn't the final cast list.

Maybe we had different gaming experiences, because I preferred ACE2's combat system, including melee. Maybe machines don't feel as unique as they do in Gundam vs Gundam, but they're still distinctive and fun. But yeah, they do need to improve the bosses.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Heecarl_Reez

Oh God, I was just talking about A.C.E continuity with my friend, and here goes....(And for PS3 to add things, I'm screwed now :( ).

I think I like the cast, Aquarion could be interesting if they implemented the different pilot things..I haven't played ACE for long time, but it sure will be nice to revamped the combat system a little, the boss, and...The Versus mode :mrgreen:.

Sniping this game..:D
Mu La Flaga

Wow a new ACE game, I thought the series was technically ended with ACE3, guess not.
Seraphic

*gasp*

ONLINE CO-OP PLZ!!!!
AmuroNT1 wrote:Maybe we had different gaming experiences, because I preferred ACE2's combat system, including melee. Maybe machines don't feel as unique as they do in Gundam vs Gundam, but they're still distinctive and fun. But yeah, they do need to improve the bosses.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure our experiences were different. =p I didn't really enjoy strafing in giant arcs for ages, waiting for people's boost guages to run out, spamming my beam rifle. I mean seriously, so long as someone's boost was on, they couldn't be hit. Melee in the game basically consisted of smacking a grunt the exact right amount of times before it explodes and repeating that for the same grunt of every type. Trying a gun combo basically just left you open, and didn't seem to do all that much more damage for some of the units.

I thought the counter system was horrible. Exact timing? No, that was BS. You just had to spam the melee button, and if it just happened to be at the right time, you got a counter. And if YOU got countered, you were stunned for like 10 whole seconds, completely helpless. It really broke the pacing of the game.

Have you ever used the Royal Guard style in the Devil May Cry games? If they want a defensive/counter aspect to the melee, it needs to be a lot more like that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kitFV4F8hbM
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

HELL YES. For days when a Final isn't a Final. :)

ACE is back with a vengance! :D And with a list like that on the PS3?! This game is so mine! I've been waiting for years for a fast-paced mecha action game outside of Armored Core. (let's admit, Crossfire wasn't horrible but just didn't cut it, although I haven't played that newer PS3 Gundam title yet)

Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't catch a release date in there. Which probably means it won't be coming out for quite a long while, bah.
Siroh32

Seraphic wrote:Bah, they're gonna drop GW, aren't they?
I may not have played the ACE games, but from what I've read and seen on YT, while it may seem that way from that sudden drop of the W units to just WZ on ACE 3, thinking there would be a consistency of a drop of units to 0 for W based on that may not mean much at all, if Z Gundam units (which have been in ACE 1) making a comeback in ACE R are of any indication.

In any case, I'm with AmuroNT1 about the roster, especially after viewing announcements left-and-right about new features and units in GvGNP before it was released. Hopefully there will be such consistency of the revelations of new features for this game. Not that I have a major interest in getting it at this point, since I don't have a PS3. Though not having a new console didn't stop me from giving one for a new game before... *shrug* I'm not that excited yet on getting the PS3, though.
quasadra

i am sure this is just as keikaku for them.

FULL METAL PANIC!

this line alone is already win. :mrgreen:

but there is also CODE GEASS

ohh~~ for how many years i have dream for this. :P
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Seraphic

Sorry for sounding so negative. I guess weeks upon weeks of grinding for ACE points can really wear you down. :) Still, such improvements would still make me very happy.

I didn't get to play ACE3 since I had my ps3 by then and had given the old ps2 to my sister. I'm looking forward to being able to use some more Macross stuff in this edition.

I know the roster can't possibly be complete yet, but I can't say I'm too excited for what's there already. Like I said, I haven't seen most of those, and most of those certain Gundams have been in everything already. Maybe using a Lancelot will be fun. Otherwise, we can always fall back on trusty ol' Re-GZ, if he makes it in game. =p

Oh, and maybe the friggin' ShenHu will make it, too. That thing's so weird that it's awesome!
-Antares

abrahamsen0

All I have to say is I new this was coming there was no way they were gonna pass this series up for the new power of the PS3. I was just waiting for a release. Would love to see GUNDAM OO in the roster. You guys think they'll be in the roster?

Now for how I feel, YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS,Told u sooooooooooooooooooooo,HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Heart racing, Eyes lighting up, It's Alive, It's Alive, It's Alive, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, :D :) :o :shock: :lol: 8) :P :wink: :!: :mrgreen:

I can't wait I want it now :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
ZeroBusterXX

AmuroNT1 wrote:
Let me say this to start: I'm giggling like a schoolgirl. :D
Deneb?

Dude, I read this last night and was pretty surprised.

I'm glad it's Code Geass R2 too, that way we can hopefully get some Shinkiro, Guren SEITEN, and maybe even Orange's Sutherland Sieg.

Also, I am gonna tear stuff up with the Lambda driver.

Never mind, TandeM from Gamefaqs translated Terada's blog.

"Another Century's Episode, Reverse!"

Good evening again. It's me, Terada.

Today the embargo on some news is being lifted.

The robot-action game series, "Another Century's Episode", previously for PS2, is being revived on the PS3!

Its name is "Another Century's Episode R".

"Eh? Didn't you say ACE3 was the 'final' one?"

That's probably the case. Truth is, I was thinking "why are we attaching 'THE FINAL' to this anyway?" too! *laughs* Well, that was the final PS2 installment, then. My apologies.

This time, I'll be leading the SR Produce Team on production. Development will be handled by From Software, same as the previous series.

The series list (in no particular order):

Orguss, Zeta, CCA, Crossbone, GSD, FMP!, OKG, CGR2, Aquarion, Macross Zero, Macross F

CCA is going to be represented by Nu only. Macross F will only have units from the TV version (no secret Tornado -- time constraints...)

Those are the 11 included series up above (copyrighted products...that is, what the other rights holders have allowed us to use). Barring rare exceptions, there won't be anything additional to announce (excluding the original units).

Furthermore, we've condensed the playable unit selection down to the fundamentals. For example, GSD: Destiny, SF, IJ. CGR2: Lancelot Conquista, Shinkiro, Guren flight-type.

It's a major downsizing from ACE3, reason being that we're rebuilding the series from the ground up for the PS3. We're committing those resources to the graphics and action.

And as for BGM, it's going to be different from the last game too. Apart from a few songs, it'll all be instrumental, SRW style.

...I thought it'd be for the better to state the differences between ACE3 and ACE:R up front.

Next time, I want to explain a bit about the setting and story.

'Til then...

P.S.: Quattro won't defect in this one.
AmuroNT1

Mild disappointment that we won't be getting stuff like Impulse and Shenhu, but I do applaud the decision to focus on getting the gameplay right rather than bloating the cast list and distracting people with shinies. That was a big problem with ACE3 IMO. And heck, there's always sequels.

Seraphic

All of my hopes dashed simultaneously! :shock:

At this point, I'd be importing the game simply by the virtue that it'll be a (hopefully) good mech game. Still, I'm very interested to see how they do since they've decided to re-double their efforts and focus on the gameplay.

Maybe they'll surprise me with a Royal Guard system. :lol:

(and what is deneb?)
-Antares

Deathonator

I can honestly say my hopes have only been partially dashed. I was looking forward to seeing Impulse and it's pack switching implemented. Quite hopeful before that for Akatsuki running around reflecting energy attacks back at people. But all the same I get to see Strike Freedom in (hopefully)spectacular PS3 Graphics, since they're supposedly concentrating on that very thing I have high hopes for how they implement stuff like the VL for it and Destiny. Plus...METEOR's, so much fun to constantly call it and send it away.

I hope they revamp the melee system, and... the missions should be more like in 2. They got repetitive and thus boring in 3. Less protect the ship missions would be nice, I mean... seeing the ships on a battlefield every once in a while is cool, but protecting them every mission grates on the nerves, especially when you can damage them yourself...how am I supposed to Rolling Buster rifle/Full Burst things around it when it gets hit too?

Anyhow...Hell yes new ACE.
AmuroNT1

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1233749_1407.html

No words...should have sent a poet...

...Okay, maybe SOME words. The weapons system looks very streamlined; as near as I can tell, you assign "suites" of weapons to the Square, Triangle, and Circle buttons, and can swap between them with the R-stick. This is just an early guess, though.

Also worth noting, there's a Tension Meter along with the AP gauge.

And the game is apparently 70% complete and looking at a Summer release.

Seraphic: This is a Deneb: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... -Den-O.jpg

Mu La Flaga

I kind of hope Impulse Gundam would be in the game considering it's one of the main Gundams of the series.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

[fanboy dreaming]

The best thing they can do for this game is to answer the long-living fan-wish and make the Macross Quarter a playable mech. :) Hey, they did it in the PSP Macross games.

[/fanboy dreaming]

Possible summer release? Good, that's not bad at all.

"LOL" at Alto's Valkyrie Kabuki posing in the OP screenshots. ^^b

Counting the days 'til the OP is put up on Youtube. I always loved the A.C.E. OPs.
quasadra

i am mildly disappointed with no SV-51, but the option of fighting Nu with Lancelot evens that out.

an a summer release? that is faster than i thought.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
AmuroNT1

There was an update to the blog, one which is rather important.

Terada explains that there was some confusion caused by his comment about "three units per series"; apparently, if a unit has upgrades, they all count as a single unit for the purposes of the roster (IE Lancelot Conquista and Albion are just "Lancelot"; the same goes for the Guren). He says this also applies to units with different loadouts and pilots (mentioning the VF-25F in Normal, Super, and Armored Modes). He also says something about C.C., but my poor Japanese skills can't puzzle out if he's saying "We didn't include her mecha, sorry", or "We forgot to mention her in Geass' roster count, sorry". (Original Japanese: あと、コードギアスはC.C.の機体をカウントするの忘れてました。すみません)