Ep. 050 - Gundamn Five-Oh!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 050 - Gundamn Five-Oh!

Vent Noir wrote:Congrats on 50 episodes!

As someone who wasn't enthused enough to buy Unicorn as it comes out, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of having to wait 2 1/2 years for the compilation. I'm also hoping it's not gonna hold up a possible new series...
Admittingly yeah that is the sucky thing with Unicorn it's going to take a while to be fully released.

Also that Lacus Zeong actually looks good :shock:
snoops619

hawk of endymion wrote:
snoops619 wrote:
As for the Unicorn discussion, all I can add is that it didn't get that world-wide release as advertised. We (UK) haven't got it yet.
Beez (pretty much Bandai UK) have it, but the online store, it's sole outlet for sale, has it backed-up. Really sucks 'cause I want to support it but if it takes any longer, I may slip.
That maybe, but you get the new season of Top Gear before us. I have to wait (wink, wink) for BBC America (wink, wink) to bring it over. I'd take Top Gear over Unicorn any day.
I actually enquired further and it turns out the UK isn't getting it at all. Gotta get it from the French outlet. FML.
And Top Gear is good but if it's better than Unicorn, I might not bother with Unicorn at all.
Jeremy Clarkson, Guntank, Let's go!
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Arorn0086

snoops619 wrote: I actually enquired further and it turns out the UK isn't getting it at all. Gotta get it from the French outlet. FML.
And Top Gear is good but if it's better than Unicorn, I might not bother with Unicorn at all.
Jeremy Clarkson, Guntank, Let's go!
HA! with May as co-pilot, Hammond in the Guncannon and Stig in the Gundam... or would he be in customised "Char" white Zaku?
"Lockon Stratos, targeted and firing!" - Neil/Lyle Dylandy, Gundam Meister

"Free will is an Illusion"

The Scotsman from Wales

PSN/XBOX: Arorn
Turn X

Thanks for all the positive marks on the appearance. In gratitude, I shall now share with you the infamous Lacus Zeong model. Enjoy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/ ... LZ_3-4.jpg
twitter.com/VistFoundation
www.tomopop.com
jabman025

Turn X wrote:Thanks for all the positive marks on the appearance. In gratitude, I shall now share with you the infamous Lacus Zeong model. Enjoy.

awesome yet slightly creepy, well done sir
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Red Comet90

Turn X wrote:Thanks for all the positive marks on the appearance. In gratitude, I shall now share with you the infamous Lacus Zeong model. Enjoy.

That is too awesome. Awesome job on the kit and attaching a lock of Lacus's hair to it. That made my day. :mrgreen:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Hm...the pink wallpaper really causes the pink of the paint to tone down. Maybe you can try a contrasting color like a blue or green for the background instead? I just want your awesome work to look the best it can. =D
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Bullet_beast

Good Job on getting to 50 Gundamn crew, here's to 50 more!!! Chris, Dale, I love the new layout for MAHQ, it's very sleek looking.

Awesome episode guys as usual. I've been making gundam model kits on and off since I was twelve. As soon as I get my own place(The peace and quiet needed to build models does not exist where I currently live) I'm going to get started on a 1/144 RX-78-2 I have in storage, and after it's built paint it in Titans colors like the RX-78-2 Titans Ver. from the Giren's Greed Video Game.

I just bought Gundam Unicorn today and am waiting for it to ship. Also if anyone is interested in buying the Gundam Unicorn Blue ray, it's on sale at amazon so get it while the sale lasts.

An Evil Machine for an Evil Woman(Looks awesome tho lol)
Shorty From Scary Movie wrote:Yo, party at Cindy's house! DRUNK WHITE WOMEN FOR EVERYBODY!!!
jcncasval76

I have a question to all of you (hosts of Gundamn included), does anyone have a "buyer remorse" on model kits? If so, please describe which ones besides the ones that Andres have mentioned in the episode.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
jabman025

jcncasval76 wrote:I have a question to all of you (hosts of Gundamn included), does anyone have a "buyer remorse" on model kits? If so, please describe which ones besides the ones that Andres have mentioned in the episode.
GP03 Master Grade was a complete waste of my money. The Gp01 and Gp02 kits were poor but servicable while the GP03 kit has no redeming features whatsoever and the posability of the kit flat out sucks.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
eanetdude

jcncasval76 wrote:I have a question to all of you (hosts of Gundamn included), does anyone have a "buyer remorse" on model kits? If so, please describe which ones besides the ones that Andres have mentioned in the episode.
The 1/100 Gundam Nataku. Both hip joints and knee joints suck majority! For some reason they are way too loose and the model either is leaning forward awkwardly or falls backwards on his ass. I can't stand it.
wraith1701

1/144 Gundam 0083 GP01 FB (original version). Found the HGUC version a week later; ended up throwing the old-school version in the trash.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Wow, thanks for answering all of my questions. I realize not all of them were designed well for conversation in a podcast, so I'll be careful about that in the future. The reason I had a long list was so that you could drop questions if you chose to do so, or you could have broken up the questions between episodes. :oops:

Still, when Chris says we're only answering this giant list because it's the 50th ep, I interpreted this to mean "NEVER DO THIS AGAIN!" Gotcha. Thanks for putting up with me. :mrgreen:

I've seen about 4 of Kurosawa's films, I think. Unfortunately, I watched them on TV, which is hard to do since they're so long, and I was unprepared for their length. My favorite of them is still Seven Samurai. And thank you for your suggestions. I had a bit of a hard time sounding out the titles, but I wrote down what I could, and I'll be looking them up. Not a Kurosawa film, but currently my favorite Japanese film is The Hidden Blade. Great stuff, but more for those interested in culture or story than for those looking for an adrenalin rush.

On a somewhat related note, how do you feel about this?

I'm glad you mentioned Junya Ishigaki, Chris. He's like the God of Lineart and deserves way more attention than he gets. This is his homepage if anyone wants to look. I would study mechanical design under him if I could. Other than him, I really admire Katoki and Yanase, though I'm not really fond of Yanase's work in 00. His remakes of other suits are beautiful though. Seriously. I would say Katoki and Yanase are similar, but Yanase is somewhat more sophisticated. His style uses a lot of complex geometry and he manages to blend it all together in a rather organic manner. It's very interesting.

I also find it interesting to observe how the styles of fan artists like myself relate to the Gundam shows they started watching. For instance, my design style tends to sit between Okawara and Katoki, looking rather simple and basic. Some artists I know who started with more recent shows like 00 have much more sophisticated design styles like Yanase. Makes me a bit envious, lol, but that's just how it is. =p

I'm also a huge fan of Koichi Mugitani (CHOCO) who does both character and mechanical designs for the Xenosaga series. (You should totally check out the Xeno Emissions art books.) And I'm in love with Kita Senri's character work for the Fire Emblem games. Look those two up if you have the time.

Okay, I think that's enough to talk about for now. Anway, gifts for making it to 50 episodes:

Gundamn's favorite meme
If it weren't for you guys, I would have NO IDEA what was going on here.
Is this funny?
Okay, now I KNOW this one is funny.
Does Soul Bro know this combo?

I drew the Big Zam one. :mrgreen:

And on another note, the art contest is now accepting votes. I'm sorry I was late to update you guys, but it closes on Sunday night. I'm sure the artists would be thrilled to have the Big Cheese and our other hosts vote in the contest. Thanks for all your support!
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Wow... just wow. Thank you my friend Seraphic!!
You really made my day :mrgreen:
The Big Zam was pretty funny and Ramba Ral was so damn great!!
But I couldn't stop laughing at the special combo of Ryu :lol:
Merçi beaucoup!! (Thanks a lot!!)
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
skyknight

OK, just post one earlier on the Megacon, and guess I had nothing to do but to listen to ep. 50, the BIG FIVE-OH, wu-shi, go-ju...

Fellows, let me tip my hat to you guys for the comment of doing this, and I hope for another 50 to come along.

Great to hear from Andres again, and I do second most of his choices. HGUC is for every newbie out there that want to get a crack on gunpla, and it is expending to Alternative Universe, which is good for Gundam X fans (includes yours truly), and I am thinking that the Wing MS will get the treatment down the line.

PG is something that you have to fully committed to, as I stated earlier that one of my bro never finished his PG Wing Zero Kai that I gave to him as a birthday gift over 8 years ago! Before anyone is going to do a PG kit, just ask yourself if you are willing to trade in 40+ hrs of your time from anything, such as gaming and web-surfing, to build something that requires your undying attention, and not to make any mistakes. That is what PG is.

I built several MG kits, and yes I do agree with Andres on avoiding the earlier MG kits, I do hear that original MG Gundam Zeta had fragile landing gears, and the transformation process was quite a hassle. But if anyone is tried of building little MS, and want to move to bigger ones, yeah, MG is your line. However, I should caution that MG kits don't share the same degree of freedom in movement and articulation from one to another, so do ask around if you are interested in a particular MS.

Gundam Unicorn, or the BIG WAIT!? Yup, I mention in several posts that it wasn't cheap at all, but compared to my bro's Slam Dunk, I would say the money was worth it. And you guys did address the main concern of Japanese animation studio on Blu-Ray releases - will there be a gray-market for Japanese fans to buy from North America? But lets ignore it for a while.

You guys did brought out somethings that I didn't noticed when I was watching it; gotta say that apathy among younger generations isn't an isolated case, as Japan and other East Asian nations are wondering what will material wealth bring, when all basic needs are fulfilled? I am sure that if I ask any American high-school students what is a F-15 or F-16, they wouldn't know, unless they googled it on their smart-phones.

With the long wait, I do share the concerns of you guys, especially when Gundam interests in the US isn't that strong anymore. For any reasons, I think it should NEVER follow Macross Zero in the releasing schedule, granted that Unicorn potentially has a better storyline than Zero. And Bandai should put some serious thoughts about releasing any anime simultaneously at both sides of the Pacific Ocean, as expectations are different on both sides.

OK, I'll end it here, til next time then!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Bob Smith

This was the first episode of your podcast I listened to, and I was really impressed! The article about gunpla was of great interest to me - I didn't know about the Real Grade line (although I knew about HGAU) and so that was a nice find.

I'm a fan of the 1/144 kits, myself. Also with regard to what you were saying about how many RX-78 kits there are, technically I suppose the G-3 kit is another one - it looks exactly like the RX-78 and according to MAHQ, the G-3 was basically a RX-78 with different internals and a blue/grey colour scheme!
My Sprite Art - I take requests!
Wingnut

I found a few pictures that relate to this episode and from the numbers mentioned, could be made a reality as well.

A half way complete RX-78-2 in unknown scale built using nothing but the runner trees that the Gunpla parts come on.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.