Special 009 - The Megacon Contagion 2010!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Special 009 - The Megacon Contagion 2010!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Special 009 - "The Megacon Contagion 2010!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 177 min., 40 sec. (2:57:40) - 81.3 MB

Special Guest Hosts: Austin Blake, Boiwondr, Dale Rausch & Pedro Cortes (of Tomopop.com)!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. 1st Segment: "Day One: Favorite & Least Favorite Mecha Cliches"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:46:17

03. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:46:17 - 0:46:46

04. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:46:46 - 0:47:22

05. 2nd Segment: "Day One: What Would Be Your Ideal Mecha Show?"
Runtime: 0:47:22 - 1:34:22

06. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:34:22 - 1:35:15

07. 3rd Segment "Day Two: To Adapt or Not to Adapt - Cinematic Adaptations of Animes, Cartoons, Comics, Video Games & Etc."
Runtime: 1:35:15 - 2:08:56

08. Row Row Fight Da Powah! (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:08:56 - 2:09:59

09. 4th Segment "Day Two: The Different Attitudes in Anime Fandom"
Runtime: 2:09:59 - 2:57:40

A million thanks go out to the gang at Anime Sushi for having us again & to all the awesome folks that came out and participated in this special episode that was recorded live at Megacon 2010 in Orlando, FL! Sit back, relax, and fire up your iPods for Gundamn! @ Megacon 2010!!!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Anime Sushi - Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah!

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
eanetdude

Re: Special 009 - The Megacon Contagion 2010!

The feedback from the mics is REALLY rampant in this episode.
Soul Bro Ryu

eanetdude wrote:The feedback from the mics is REALLY rampant in this episode.
Sadly, at the beginning of Segs 1 & 3 it was pretty evident, but gradually it's not as bad as the ep goes along. Sorry about that. ~_~
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
eanetdude

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
eanetdude wrote:The feedback from the mics is REALLY rampant in this episode.
Sadly, at the beginning of Segs 1 & 3 it was pretty evident, but gradually it's not as bad as the ep goes along. Sorry about that. ~_~
Yea, I'm still listening to the episode, clearly. And it is subsiding. Pretty great discussion so far! Thanks!
jcncasval76

Soul Bro, I really have to defend "Legend of Chun Li" to the core. In spite of some sort of issues, it's a better movie than I thought. Although I would have to say, the narrative by Chun Li should have been omitted. However, other than Michael Clarke Duncan, the only person would have fitted perfect for playing Balrog is ironically Bob Sapp. Balrog's characteristic in the movie is actually closer than the first movie. I actually like Bison being a crime boss than a warlord, and make him really subtly psychotic with valid reason for being who he is, it's quite terrifying than previous incarnation. btw, Neal McDonough had played villain before (Walking Tall). The qi part actually originated from the Street Fighter II animated series (Hadou Ken), so that makes sense. The fight scenes is quite realistic and very brutal, even though it may have looked a bit more like Hong Kong movies made by Jackie Chan. I don't really mind the homage so much, but making Chun Li's battleground into a metropolitan area was quite refreshing. After all, Bison is a bloody criminal in any version. A few more points to be considered, Michelle Yeoh is now a talent agent in Hong Kong, so she doesn't have time to be an actress anymore, Isabelle Leong (Yeoh's client) had a baby last year, so she's out, Zhang Ziyi have her own deals in China, so who else is there to play Chun-Li? Joan Chen's getting too old and so is Ming-Na Wen, who ironically played the first Chun-Li. So that argument is really getting rubbish when you want Chinese actress to play that, luckily, there's Cheng Pei-Pei, who made an effective cameo as a guide to Robin Shou (Gen), who was Lu Kang in Mortal Kombat movies, and Josie Ho (Catana), whose father Stanley Ho is a tycoon in Macao (btw, he had just left the hospital after suffering a stroke), she was quite effective in that fight scene with Kristen Kreuk. One last thing about Bison's army, it reminds me of PMC like the infamous Blackwater, and using the organized crime element to blend into that movie is just sheer brilliant. Did I mention the fact that with honestly, somewhat limited background information on characters to begin with, this movie does a better job of how those characters developed than the previously "hokey" movie back in the 1990s. Also, since the sentiment of this country's view of our military isn't what it used to be, I don't blame the production for changing the army into PMC-esque. Maybe it's my background in HK movies, but overall, I enjoyed that movie much more than others.
Last edited by jcncasval76 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Mu La Flaga

This all in all ended up being a rather interesting episode for discussion topics, not to mention apart from the usual Gundamn crew,
you either had Dale or Pedro along with Austin which all in all made the humor more funny then usual when you have 5 hosts on all of the pannels and stuff. :P

I'm surprised in the movies topic you guys didn't discuss Iron Man 2 with that coming out in the not too distant future.
Wingnut

Did I hear someone mention Belldandy Gundam when talking about Wing Zero? 'Cause I think I heard someone mention Belldandy Gundam when talking about Wing Zero.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote: I'm surprised in the movies topic you guys didn't discuss Iron Man 2 with that coming out in the not too distant future.
We'll probably hit Iron Man 2 when it comes later on this year. In the meantime, you should check out our review of the first Iron Man, done about 3 years ago. One of our best reviews.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote: I'm surprised in the movies topic you guys didn't discuss Iron Man 2 with that coming out in the not too distant future.
We'll probably hit Iron Man 2 when it comes later on this year. In the meantime, you should check out our review of the first Iron Man, done about 3 years ago. One of our best reviews.
I glanced through the episode index, which one is actually the episode which has the segment and discussion on Iron Man?
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:
I glanced through the episode index, which one is actually the episode which has the segment and discussion on Iron Man?
You just got trolled, son. :twisted:
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
jcncasval76

One of the worst adaptations ever is Judge Dredd, I'm surprised that you boys haven't mentioned either, although Speed Racer is very close. thank god I haven't watched it at all. As far as my dream Gundam series goes, it's combining Infernal Affairs, Sliders, Battlestar Galatica (reimagined), and Transformers.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Mu La Flaga

Chris wrote:
You just got trolled, son. :twisted:
Damn you Neo! :P
The segment which doesn't exsist but yet does exsist lol.

Probably one of the greatest segments ever "And then it was gone" as Soul Bro said in episode 28.

We need a "revised" Iron Man discussion one day Chris, does Soul Bro owe that much to us all? :P
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

not trolled, but ZAPPED!

Ha!
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
hotlimit

Man, this is one of my favorite episodes ever! The Mecha Cliches section was great with the audience.

Also WTF@1:19:00! "That's the best man" "It's.. uh.. it's shuu!" I bought this toy from a Gundam keychain vending machine, and each keychain was supposed to say something different. I wanted the one that said "Amuro, launching!", but I got the stupid eyecatch noise :x I've never figured out what that is.
Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:not trolled, but ZAPPED!

Ha!
Chris says otherwise :P

Besides Hawk of Endynion you are not me, but I am you, so wrap your brain around that one!
It takes a Mu La Flagga to make the Hawk of Endymion. :P

Anyways it would be nice to see the lost Iron Man segment one day, I did ask if this was Soul Bro Ryu's doing anyway?
Bullet_beast

Thanks for coming out to megacon again Gundamn crew. It was easily the highlight of the convention for me, as this year's megacon was a bit lackluster to say the least.
Shorty From Scary Movie wrote:Yo, party at Cindy's house! DRUNK WHITE WOMEN FOR EVERYBODY!!!
jabman025

Mu La Flaga wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:not trolled, but ZAPPED!

Ha!
Chris says otherwise :P

Besides Hawk of Endynion you are not me, but I am you, so wrap your brain around that one!
It takes a Mu La Flagga to make the Hawk of Endymion. :P

Anyways it would be nice to see the lost Iron Man segment one day, I did ask if this was Soul Bro Ryu's doing anyway?
So Neo Loronoke zapped Mu La Flaga and they are both the Hawk of Endymion.............wait what?
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
CanadaMan

jabman025 wrote:So Neo Loronoke zapped Mu La Flaga and they are both the Hawk of Endymion.............wait what?
DOÉS ... NO& ... COM/UTE ... ER|OR
Mu La Flaga

Anyways, I still feel kind of ripped off over whole Iron Man thing.
Who else feels that way? :P

And FYI, I'm just trying to screw with Neo's brain, hell it might work on Soul Bro Ryu, Neo is fortunately more smarter on average.
Red Comet90

This episode was hilarious. Its a shame I wasn't able to go to Megacon this year with the two great shows you all had.

I have to 2nd Mu La Flaga's feelings. I want that Iron Man segment, but I know its never gonna happen. 8)
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn