Ep. 049 - Macross March Madness!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 049 - Macross March Madness!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 049 - "Macross March Madness!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 159 min., 23 sec. (2:39:23) - 73 MB

Special Guest Host: Destiny Gundam (1st & 2nd Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:33:22

03. Row Row Fight Da Powah! (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:33:22 - 0:34:25

04. 1st Segment: "Inter-Franchise Fanboy Wars!"
Runtime: 00:34:25 - 1:23:14

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:23:14 - 1:24:03

06. 2nd Segment "What Would We Change in Macross?"
Runtime: 1:24:03 - 2:32:56

07. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 2:32:56 - 2:33:31

08. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:33:31 - 2:34:01

09. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:34:01 - 2:39:23

Joined once again by Canada's finest Lolicon expert and MechaTalk.net regular, Destiny Gundam, the gang is back together. In this episode, we run down all the changes we could make in the installments of the Macross Franchise, as well as discuss your thoughts about schisms that can be found within the fans of several Sci-Fi franchises!

Sorry for the delay in this episode's release. There were a few technical difficulties during the recording, and some of them took bit more ironing out then usual. The Megacon recordings went very well, by the way and will be up very soon! Also, many thanks to Peter for hanging with us and being a part of this episode!

BTW, there's a new podcast on the scene with a title that should be familiar to all Gurren-Lagann fans:
Row Row Fight Da Powah!

Their podcast is eight episodes deep so far and covers roundtable discussions about Anime, Video Games and all sorts of other nerdom, featuring the ragtag, intercontinental crew of:
- Bakuhasu
- Mikhail
- Saber
- Elvenbladerogue
- Canadaman
! (who's a long time Gundamn! listener and Mechatalk.net regular, to boot!)

Peep their homepage: RRFDP.blogspot.com

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah!

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
jcncasval76

Re: Ep. 049 - Macross March Madness!

Soul Bro, Chris,

is it just my imagination or Chiris's Skype connection really got scrambled? during the fanboy section, Chris's comments about Transformers got repeated a few times. I don't know if you guys pick that up.

with regards to The Departed and the Infernal Affairs trilogy (yes, it' was made into a trilogy in Hong Kong), I personally enjoyed the trilogy a lot better due to a much spreadout outline with Hong Kong's background and timeline (not counting the obvious reason of being there), and I didn't find the same connection with the Departed. On Star Trek franchises, I actually watched all of them and was intrigued by each of the premises. On Transformers, even with lack of opportunities in watching the entire Transformers Animated series, they stll looks enjoyable on each version due to my expectation with the evolution of each series. When it comes to Star Wars, I really enjoy all of them - old and new alike - even with the weakness with dialogues on the prequel trilogy.

Jeff Ng
JCNcasval76
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
phillosmaster

Thanks for answering my question. I didn't realize how wordy it was till you read it out on air though. Sorry about that. I'll make sure I phrase all future questions more efficiently.

As for the fanboy discussion, I think there is something about the internet that breaks down people's normal social inhibitions. Deep inside everyone wants to promote the franchises that they love, because they want it to be more popular. IMO the motivation being they want to somehow steer the industry/fanbase toward the type of stuff they like in the hopes that it will influence the future of the industry.

I'm certainly guilty of this (hell I was a browncoat). Even my question this episode was an attempt to promote a franchise I like by challenging an (IMO) misleading review, which might otherwise steer people away from the show.

I think this is just human nature. There is a right and wrong way to promote your opinion though. It's, of course, childish to believe your opinion is the only correct one and everyone else's is wrong or stupid.

On the topic of star wars. My friend's kid is 10 and he loves the new star wars movies (and tv shows). It's a trip to see him and his friends pretend to be Jedi. Reminds me of when I was a kid. In stark contrast, I hated all the prequel movies. I went to see them with my friends in the theatre and each time we left the theatre angry. One man's trash is another man's treasure. That's just the way of the world. I'm sure my parents though I was silly for obsessing over star wars when I was a kid.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Vent Noir

Oh, the fanboy wars... One thing I try not to get involved in.

I think one of the worst has to be comic book fandom. Maybe because the characters have such long histories (over 70 years for Superman and Batman now), and with that comes so many different interpretations of the character, and aspects from various eras that people like or dislike.

In fact, IIRC recently Dan DiDio mentioned that one of the biggest challenges of the DC Universe is the fact that everyone has their own favourite incarnations of various characters that they consider to be the "true" versions.

On the other hand, there can sometimes be a more positive aspect to this, as when a company does something truly horrendous to a character, fans can lobby to have it fixed. For instance, I'm no fan of Hal Jordan, but his fans were definitely entitled to feel PO'd over what happened to him in Emerald Twilight (on the other hand, the constant bashing of Kyle Rayner was not justified).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Wingnut

All the things mentioned that you would change in Macross and not one word about having Kaifun never exist? I'm shocked.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Wingnut wrote:All the things mentioned that you would change in Macross and not one word about having Kaifun never exist? I'm shocked.
Then Soul Bro would have no "man" to identify with in Macross.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Ocho

*Good Show*
On the topic of Macross II yall talked about specifics of cannon. With zeta a new translation there are some oddities that really mess up the ZZ story line (ie Camille's brain being okay). I'm seeing how It would probably be better to disregard the past changes to the story of zeta seeing how it would really halter the story of the Universal Century. I could see how fan boys would have contusions over this and want clarifications but Unicorn is most likely based on non-translational changes... and a different director.
"I... I won't die alone. I'm gonna take your soul along with me when I go.""Because of your stupidity the earth remains trampled under the feet of fools."
Taekmkm

but Unicorn is most likely based on non-translational changes
I think this is obvious when they mentioned Char's Counterattack. That scenario is very hard to imagine when New Translation Haman leaves with Axis for another day while Original Haman sticks around and dies.

Great podcast, though I'm in the camp of not really bothered by Ranka. Mostly because it seems even the show was focused so much on Sheryl I didn't really notice.
Destiny_Gundam

Finally caught up with my Gundamn backlog, whoo!

Lots of technical problems with this episode, most notable being a point where Chris was talking, while a line he said previous was stuck on repeat at the same time. Also, all my comments on Macross II are missing.

Well, don't have much to say on the topics since I was in the episode!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mu La Flaga

Ah an interesting episode, very cool answers for 3 out of 4 questions, thanks for the answers.
As for VOTOMs it i s one I have heard of but might have to look in to if I could do.

Also yeah I really want to see Gundam SEED Astray become an animated series apart from being just a manga sidestory.

Also Soul Bro, when got around to looking at that info in PMs I sent you, hopefully can PM me back some time?

And on Gasaraki, they are not aliens, they are Demons technically, called "Kugai"
CanadaMan

I thought it was just my computer having issues running all of the programs I had going, glad to hear I'm not entirely to blame for the Chris' echo.

I agree with most of the points brought up for Macross, DYRL, II, Plus and Zero. I've yet to watch 7, so I can't offer much on that. I will say that I enjoy both the Prequel Trilogy and the original Trilogy for Star Wars, even if I do recognize and accept certain ... flaws within the Prequels.

And props to SoulBro for the RRFDP shoutout, you definitely made Baku's, Mikhail's and Elven's day when I mentioned it to them.
Vent Noir

You mentioned the youtube video rants. Would you consider things like The Nostalgia Critic and Atop the Fourth Wall "video rants"? They arguably fall into that category, but they're still entertaining.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
jabman025

Hello again, I was begining to wonder what happened to you guys.

Soul Bro I really reccomend watching Eureka 7, I give it the jabman seal of approval.......yeah I know its not as valuable as yours but still.

The show is great because of the great characters, and mechas are nice to boot. Might be a good show for a future anime spotlight.........hint hint.

Now as for the issue of fanboyism, I have never really understood why if someone does not like a certain show or movie or whatever they feel it necessary to rant and rave and complain about it. If you don't like a show don't watch it, its really that simple. If someone else likes it then you ranting on till your blue in the face won't change his/her mind.

Maybe this is the reason I end up defending shows like Seed Destiny, with so many people bashing a show there needs to be someone to defend it.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
hotlimit

Hey, I loved the discussion about the rival internet fanboys. I witnessed an awful lot of that stuff lately in places I didn't think I'd see it, and it really sickens me. Like Neo said, why hate fans of the same franchise, when you could all gang up on some other franchise?

Honestly I don't think it's human nature at all, it's just some phenomena that comes up when people get disconnected from reality. For example, if any of these people met each other in real life, they would be so excited to meet someone that was into the same stupid crap that they are that they would put aside all differences and find some common ground (for example my friend who won't watch anything that comes after Turn A, he'll play games about Gundam Seed or 00, he just won't watch the shows).

I'm also glad you brought up the point about how it's an amazing waste of time. I'd like to add that it's also a complete waste of energy and emotions, because you know for every arrogant response, some dude is fuming behind his screen, ready to type an essay.
Taekmkm

You mentioned the youtube video rants. Would you consider things like The Nostalgia Critic and Atop the Fourth Wall "video rants"? They arguably fall into that category, but they're still entertaining.
But they're personas, not really themselves like the AVGN. Yeah, there's some degree of hate but for the most part it's exaggerated for the audience.
Areku

You guys make it difficult to contribute to discussions, you know that? I mean, how am I supposed to make constructive comments when you regularly cover damn near everything I would say anyway? :roll:

Though I gotta admit, I do like when Soul Bro occasionally slips some Kō Ōtani into the background.
Red Comet90

Another great episode. You guys pretty much covered all there is to cover when it comes to fan boy wars. Its a shame that its not as easy as lets it all gang up on some other franchise rather than on our fellow bretheren.

When it comes to Macross, I don't think much has to be changed except for Basara as a character...he's pretty much static all the way throughout and the show suffers for it.

Oh and as far as G-Saviour goes it just gets shunning treatment. Sunrise has never even brought it up in the canon at all. They pretend like it doesn't exist.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
jabman025

Red Comet90 wrote:

Oh and as far as G-Saviour goes it just gets shunning treatment. Sunrise has never even brought it up in the canon at all. They pretend like it doesn't exist.
I do the same thing, that G-Savior dvd sitting with the rest of my collection......I just like to pretend its not really there.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

jabman025 wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:

I do the same thing, that G-Savior dvd sitting with the rest of my collection......I just like to pretend its not really there.
You should sell it to Peter.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Destiny_Gundam

hawk of endymion wrote:
jabman025 wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:

You should sell it to Peter.
Sure, I'd buy it :D
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."