Ep. 048 - Gundamn Boy Modeling School

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Vent Noir

Re: Ep. 048 - Gundamn Boy Modeling School

BTW, what's the website of that new model place you mentioned?

Since you're fans of Top Gear, you'll have to track down James May's Toy Stories - especially the Airfix models episode where he attempts to make a LIFE-SIZE model Spitfire.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
phillosmaster

Great segment on modeling. Nice to hear a conversation about the hobby. Interest has sort of dried up in my area with fewer and fewer hobby stores carrying gundam models on their shelves. I do pretty much all my purchasing online now.

As far as Gunpla goes, my favorite model is my perfect grade Quattro Red Rick Dias. That model is brilliant.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
jcncasval76

phillosmaster wrote:As far as Gunpla goes, my favorite model is my perfect grade Quattro Red Rick Dias. That model is brilliant.
Phillomaster, do you mean Master Grade Quattro Red Rick Dias? Seriously though, the MG model kits from the last 3 to 5 years are so much better with the designs on the joints. btw, Chris, had the producers of GSD actually used the concept that Gundam 00 later picked up, Gundam 00 would never have existed, but they dropped the ball and retreaded the old storyline with Seed, then made a dejavu with Seed Destiny. Sunrise should have kept the trolls in check, and thankfully they did when Seiji Mizushima produced 00 series.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
phillosmaster

jcncasval76 wrote:
phillosmaster wrote:As far as Gunpla goes, my favorite model is my perfect grade Quattro Red Rick Dias. That model is brilliant.
Phillomaster, do you mean Master Grade Quattro Red Rick Dias? Seriously though, the MG model kits from the last 3 to 5 years are so much better with the designs on the joints.
woops yeah I meant the master grade. I wish there was a perfect grade Rick Dias. I have newer kits, but I think my choosing that as my favorite has alot to do with my enjoyment of the Rick Dias design itself not the model quality. It's just a cool looking suit IMO. Though I still think it's a great Master Grade kit, and it's more durable and stable than the majority of my other master grade kits from the same era. My MG Zeta Gundam for instance looks awesome, but boy is that thing fragile (though in it's defense it does transform).
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Hm...do you think martial artists "communicating with their fists" was an allusion to Newtypes? After all, only some people can do it. Rain is jealous. =p

I thought this was one of the most beautiful things about G Gundam. It's quite literally how people understand each other through conflict. Brought tears to me eye.

It's interesting that Tomino says Newtype abilities are like the combat intuition of a martial artist.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
hotlimit

Vent Noir wrote:BTW, what's the website of that new model place you mentioned?
It was Amiami, I had to go to Tomopop to look it up:
http://www.amiami.com/shop/?set=english ... amtoy.html

New HG Gundam X?!? *drool*
skyknight

Just finished this ep at the end of St. Patty's day.

I sure by the time I post this, all you guys are resting after MegaCon.

No Soul Bro, and then no Chris, man, its like taking out the Three Stooges one at time, that ain't fun at all. :( But I hope to hear guys on the wrap-up of MegaCon.

Ok, back to the topic.

First one, yeah, I do give kudos to the Gundam series about talking the future of humanity, which doesn't always offer a bright outlook - there will be conflicts between mankind. And after finishing the first ep of Unicorn, it is the same thing as the series begins. I never gasp the concept of Newtype when I first saw Gundam with my cousins in Taiwan, and it didn't help that I also watch bootleg 0083 on VHS! But it was later by following the reviews on Newtype Asylum and MAHQ.net that I began to understand the mythology of Newtype.

While I never finished watching MSG, I did watch Zeta and CCA, and I do understand the misconception of Newtypes for being ace pilots (mentioned in Unicorn, weird!?), and I agree it was until I watch X, where a good explanation was offered. It was a HUGE disaster that SEED/Destiny never got their story right (heck, I called this the entire series an inbred of all Gundams!), wasting all potentials it had. But I do give credit for SEED (only) trying to bring the perils of human genetic engineering and human cloning - would you try to have a child that can be superior in all ways than you, or have a clone of yourself (if you are indeed superior)? Too bad it got lost around the midpoint of SEED, no need to waste time again on the SEED series; but any of you think that Astray is a better work?

00, while I am waiting for the film to be release, I did like the concept of having Innovators being "produced" and living among ordinary people. It was great seeing the dividing paths that Ribbons and Tieria took, Ribbon believing that he is the supreme being of all, while Tieria accepting its ok to be human. I guess S1 had a lot to do with it, Ribbons having pity on Setsuna for looking at him like a god, and Tieria trying to cope with being sever from the Veda system (like a reject).

On the second part, gunpla!

I did attempt to build a 1/200 Zeta with a younger cousin while I was in Taiwan, it was a total failure, why? Cuz we were using paper glue, not plastic cement. Later I build Zoids kits and SD Gundam kits, but never more until I came back to the US and Gundam Wing was on. Yup, I do agree with Andres (very great to have a guest like him on the show) that almost all Gundam Wing kits were crap! My bros abandon all of their 1/144 kits, while I was glad that I picked the 1/100 D-Hell (reg and Kai).

I was able to get some gunpla kits at local retail stores, but as the Gundam craze died out, I went online. Several good choices have been brought out, but I would like to make sure everyone knows Hobby Search, while the prices are not very competitive, you get to see the contents of every kit they carry, which is very helpful if you are going to do some painting.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/gundam/

With building gunpla, depending on what you like, I would recommend the HGUC series for all beginners without any hesitations, and some update here - a 1/144 HG Gundam X is to be release:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10111319

While SD Gundam maybe easier to build, they do need some serious paint work to look the ones on the side photos, which will really test your skills. MG kits will have about twice the amount of parts compared to a HG 1/144 kit, and will require more time; PG kits should be treated more seriously, as they needed a significant amount of time committed to build one (my bro never finished his PG Wing Zero Custom after 8 yrs!).

I would also like to add essential tools needed to build gunpla - you shouldn't be using scissors or nail-clippers to cut of pieces from the runners/spruce; better to spend a couple of dollars on a small wire cutter. But I think I can save that for future segment, thanks to all in the podcast!

And again and again, I do hope to reconnect with Dr.Core and Nightindale from Newtype Asylum, if any of you had heard from them, please let me know!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Chibi_Exia

Missed soul bro on this ep , can't wait for the next.
jcncasval76

skyknight wrote:I was able to get some gunpla kits at local retail stores, but as the Gundam craze died out, I went online. Several good choices have been brought out, but I would like to make sure everyone knows Hobby Search, while the prices are not very competitive, you get to see the contents of every kit they carry, which is very helpful if you are going to do some painting.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/gundam/

With building gunpla, depending on what you like, I would recommend the HGUC series for all beginners without any hesitations, and some update here - a 1/144 HG Gundam X is to be release:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10111319

While SD Gundam maybe easier to build, they do need some serious paint work to look the ones on the side photos, which will really test your skills. MG kits will have about twice the amount of parts compared to a HG 1/144 kit, and will require more time; PG kits should be treated more seriously, as they needed a significant amount of time committed to build one (my bro never finished his PG Wing Zero Custom after 8 yrs!).

I would also like to add essential tools needed to build gunpla - you shouldn't be using scissors or nail-clippers to cut of pieces from the runners/spruce; better to spend a couple of dollars on a small wire cutter. But I think I can save that for future segment, thanks to all in the podcast!
skyknight, this is the first time I've heard of Hobby Search has an English site, it's funny that I have gone to Hobby Search in Japanese site a lot but they have made no mention of other languages. From what I have seen from them, however, draws a lot of inspiration on what I would be my next gundam project. Another point about this site that does for me is to find the mistakes I have made on my other suits, I know it's bizzare, but since they have provided the scans of the instruction from top to bottom, it's easy to find what type of error it was done to it.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
skyknight

Give kudos to duo from Newtype Asylum, where I got info on several Gundam-related sites (sadly most are gone...).

My bro and I do check Hobby Search whenever a new gunpla is to be release, and check out the contents, to decide if it can be done over a span of several days.

But I am glad that the English site of Hobby Search is helpful!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
jcncasval76

I am hoping to do the MG Astray Red & Blue Frames in a way it'll look like something resembles twin brothers with cross-color schemes. BTW, not long ago, I actually did a pair of Zeta Plus (since they made the same caucas part), somehow, I never had them completed ...
thanatos

Loved this episode. It reconnected me with that great feeling of satisfaction you get after finishing a tough model. Although, I never really invested the time and money into getting a real setup and developing my skills. Hopefully when I get a place of my own, I'll be able to devote a corner to gunpla and start churning out some beautiful MGs.
Hearing that the PG MK-II was tough sure made me smile. That was my first, and currently only, PG.

Maybe I should dive back into gunpla. I've spent to much time collecting GFF Figures and MSiAs.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"