Universal Century, Post V Gundam?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Pkmatrix

Universal Century, Post V Gundam?

I'm curious: besides G-Savior and Gaia Gear, has there been anything else set in the Universal Century post V Gundam? If so, I assume its obscure and non-canon. Any info, though, would be great! :)
Genocide

Re: Universal Century, Post V Gundam?

Technically speaking, both Gaia Gear and G-Saviour fall into the category of "non-canon". I believe there was a Victory Gundam side story manga, the one that has Judau make an appearence, although I'm not sure if it takes place before or after the series events. And either case, Sunrise doesn't consider anything outside of the animated works to be officially canon, although really as long as it doesn't have any glaring contradictions then there's no reason you couldn't assume events occur the way they do as portrayed in side material.
Deacon Blues

I still wanna know where this crap about G-Saviour being spun off into this obscure "non-official" category came from.
Spiegel

Deacon Blues wrote:I still wanna know where this crap about G-Saviour being spun off into this obscure "non-official" category came from.
I may be wrong, but I vaguely recall Mark saying that was the case years ago. I can't even recall what forum it was on it was that far back. If it wasn't him, it was definitely someone quoting an official source. I can recall long threads on various forums discussing G-Saviour and people arguing the validity of it in the Gundam universe. Then one day another one of those threads popped up and the news was casually given that it was taken out of continuity and that any arguments or debates on the subject would be pointless.

I realize that's not exactly a concrete answer, but it's something.
toysdream

Spiegel wrote:I may be wrong, but I vaguely recall Mark saying that was the case years ago. I can't even recall what forum it was on it was that far back. If it wasn't him, it was definitely someone quoting an official source. I can recall long threads on various forums discussing G-Saviour and people arguing the validity of it in the Gundam universe. Then one day another one of those threads popped up and the news was casually given that it was taken out of continuity and that any arguments or debates on the subject would be pointless.
Hey, don't drag me into this! :-)

I did a quick Google search, and the last thing I seem to have written on the subject was in this thread, where I grumbled about how fans seem to think that Sunrise has issued some kind of official press release on corporate letterhead, formally deleting G-Saviour from the timeline. If so, I guess everybody got a copy of that press release except me!

In practice, Sunrise and all the third-party publishers seem to have decided not to mention G-Saviour at all, maybe in the hope that we'll eventually forget it ever existed. In that previous thread I characterized this as a "weird shunning treatment", but that's not the same thing as an official statement that it's no longer "canon".

-- Mark
Spiegel

Sorry for tossing your name about so carelessly, but thank you for clarifying. I suppose G-Saviour doesn't really conflict with anything so it doesn't matter if it's in continuity or not. I still don't think it was a very good movie, though. :P
Rawinder

If it ever gets made, Ring of Gundam will be the furthest point in the UC timeline.

(Unless you're like me and consider Turn A to be the far future of the Universal Century.)
J-Lead

The only way they'll really retcon G-Savior out of the timeline entirely is if they produce something official that replaces it in the timeline (and we know just how likely that is to happen any time soon, :( ) because there is a fat chance they are actually going to hold any in-house discussions on a matter so trivial. Companies don't usually say that a certain work of fiction produced by them is non-canon on the grounds that people think it's bad, they just work around it and neglect to mention the events contained in it (see; DMC2). If they did, however, I guarantee you'd be seeing people quoting the official statement word for word a whole lot more often. Most of this "G-Savior is non-canon because Tomino/Sunrise said so" rubbish comes from fans that disapprove of it, and they are wrong on the grounds that Tomino does not have a say in what's canon or official and Sunrise has never really, and probably still doesn't, care to address the issue in any sort of conclusive detail.

On that note, I believe I remember hearing that Gaia Gear's story is technically impossible now given elements in stories taking place before it that were produced after the fact, but I don't really know a whole lot about that subject...
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Darkerangel

Maybe I got the question wrong, but anyways, wiki says this:

Manga

U.C.0153

* Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (Kidou Senshi V Gundam, 1993 - 1994) - by Toshiya Iwamura. The manga adaptation of the original series.
* Mobile Suit Victory Gundam Side Story (Kidou Senshi V Gundam Gaiden, 1993) - by Yuichi Hasegawa. A side-story where Usso teams up with an old junk dealer to battle Zanscare remnants.

U.C.0179

* Mobile Suit Gundam Almarya (Kidou Senshi Gunda Almarya, 1989) - by Yuji Ushida. An after story of Double Fake.

U.C.0223

* G-Saviour (1993) - by Takuto. The manga adaptation of the TV game.

U.C.1160

* Artificial Newtypes Story: Mad Wang 1160 (Kyouka Ningen Monogatari: Mad Wang 1160, 1994 - 1995) - by Kaoru Morishita.

Novel

U.C.0153

* Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (Kidou Senshi V Gundam, 1993 - 1994) - by Yoshiyuki Tomino. The novel adaptation of the original series.

U.C.0203

* Gaia Gear (1987 - 1989) - by Yoshiyuki Tomino. A non-canonical side story, set in the U.C.0200s, where an anti-Federation group creates a clone of Char to battle Manhunter.

U.C.0223

* G-Saviour (2000 - 2001) - by Yoshie Kawahara. The novel adaptation of the original movie.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
Genocide

If G-Savior is indeed part of UC canon, then I'll note it for future discussion. Admittedly, I ran into the conclusion simply because of the shunning treatment it's received, as Mark mentioned. It seems like aside from exclusive material, G-Savior has never appeared along side other series - specifically UC ones - when it comes to things like video games and promotional material. Really though, I suppose it takes place so long past other entries in the Universal Century that it's existence isn't really of much significance.
Geoxile

Hmm, in honor of the legendary V2 manga
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7254/v2manga.jpg
I would think that it's set in between the series itself since Usso and co. don't have/know the V2 yet. Then again I don't think manga are often treated as "canon", or at least entitled to such presumptions.
Pkmatrix

Wow, thanks guys! :)

About G-Savior: what I remember hearing the past is that there was some sort of "timeline of shows" on Sunrise's website, listing which timeline each show/movie/OAV was in, and that a few years ago Sunrise re-labeled G-Savior from "UC" to "Alternate UC". I'll be honest, this was years ago and I suppose its very likely that this was little more than a rumor that nobody bothered to confirm/deny.

As for everything else: I didn't realize Almarya was set in 0179, and I've never heard of Mad Wang 1160. Does anybody have quick summaries of either manga? Also, I recall that besides the G-Savior movie and novel, there were also a prequel radio drama and sequel videogame. I didn't know about the G-Savior manga - is it at all different from the movie, or just a straight adaptation? As for the novel, has anybody read it? Was there anything different, or any additional details? Finally, was that all there was for G-Savior? I know it wasn't popular, but considering that it's the most developed story set Post-V Gundam, I'm just curious about what is out there.
Saikuba

I think it's worth mentioning that G-Saviour doesn't appear at all on the Gundam Official website, despite the fact that it was released Region 1, and that this page lists things like Gaia Gear (and even Plamo-Kyo Shiro!) I think that G-Saviour's position isn't so much "non-canon" but "forgetting that it existed."
Darkerangel

Only thing I could find posted by some person in a forum site, take it or leave it for what it is:

http://www.zeonic-republic.net/forums/i ... 25.msg7460
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
Prana

I cannot make a detailed comparison, but I saw the English-dubbed G-Saviour movie and read the Italian-translated novel, and the two are quite the same.
Visit UC Italia
syrayian

Geoxile wrote:Hmm, in honor of the legendary V2 manga
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7254/v2manga.jpg
I would think that it's set in between the series itself since Usso and co. don't have/know the V2 yet. Then again I don't think manga are often treated as "canon", or at least entitled to such presumptions.
In that image is it Kamui gian in the bubble? sorry if i upset anyone by reviving this thread after such a long time but i havent been able to find images of kamui gian anywhere.