Ep. 048 - Gundamn Boy Modeling School

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 048 - Gundamn Boy Modeling School

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 048 - "Gundamn Boy Modeling School!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 93 min., 46 sec. (1:33:46) - 42.9 MB

Special Guest Host: Andres Cerrato of Tomopop.com! (2nd Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43 (43 sec.)

02. Intro: "Neo News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:20:47 (20 min., 4 sec.)

03. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:20:47 - 0:22:17 (1 min., 30 sec.)

04. 1st Segment: "The Evolution of Humans in Gundam"
Runtime: 0:22:17 - 0:58:00 (35 min., 43 sec.)

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:58:00 - 0:58:53 (53 sec.)

06. 2nd Segment "Gunpla 101: An Introduction to Gundam & Mecha Model Building"
Runtime: 0:58:53 - 1:27:10 (28 min., 17 sec.)

07. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:27:10 - 1:27:45 (35 sec.)

08. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:27:45 - 1:28:15 (30 sec.)

09. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:28:15 - 1:33:46 (5 min., 30 sec.)

A monumental episode for many reasons, not only is it missing Soul Bro Ryu (who was out due the madness of Valentine's Day weekend), but it marks the first installment in an ongoing discussion about Model Building! With the help of accomplished Gunpla aficionado, Andres Cerrato of Tomopop.com, one of the most requested topics from the Gundamnation finally arrives to Gundamn! @ MAHQ!

Before that, however, Chris & Neo read more of our listeners letters from the Gundamn Mailbag! Then, they delve into an excellent topic submitted by MechaTalk.net's own Seraphic, who asks what their thoughts are on the "next stage humans" (i.e. Newtypes, Coordinators, Innovades, etc.) in the Gundam franchise.

Last but not least, it's that time of year again. Gundamn will be coming to you live - not once, but twice! - this year @ MegaCon 2010 in Orlando, FL on March 12 - 14, 2010! If you are going to be in the Central Florida area that weekend make sure to stop on by the Orange County Convention Center and participate in the madness on:

- Friday; March 12, 2010 @ 8pm - 10pm
- Sunday; March 14, 2010 @ 12pm - 2pm
- Room: W224D

Watch this space & our websites, MAHQ.net & Gundamn.net for more info about the live show in the very near future & we're looking forward to seeing you there!

Many thanks to Andres & everyone who submitted and participated in this episode! Also, make sure to check out Andres at Tomopop and his YouTube Channel after the show for his coverage on model building!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Tomopop.com - PrjctZro (Andres @ YouTube) - Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Anime Addicts Anonymous

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
ZeonsSilverStar

Re: Ep. 048 - Gundamn Boy Modeling School

An excellent show as always especially the Gunpla segment, if I ever get over my fear of them I'll start building models again.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
Mu La Flaga

Interesting episode was somewhat quiet without Soul Bro Ryo around for once.
Found the discussion on newtypes, enhanced humans ect to be pretty interesting.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Oh, it's like getting my own episode! :mrgreen: I'm glad I could provide a useful topic.

For me, the only series that handled advanced humans well was Gundam X. That's because it was a focal point that was very important to the story (perhaps the main point of the story.) In the UC main series, I don't like how nearly ALL of the main cast must be newtypes. I think my favorite interpretation of newtypes has to be Gundam Evolve ep. 5 with the Alpha Azieru and Nu Gundam. That was downright beautiful. It's kinda interesting to note various Buddhist and Hindu imagery and ideology in Tomino's work. For instance: Lalah being Char's spiritual leader, the overt imagery in Evolve 9, and the hippies Quess was following in CCA. I'd be more interested to look more into Tomino's involvement with this, but I don't really know where to start looking.

Gundam SEED...yeah, that all just went to hell. I won't say much, but Coordinators dropped the ball, and I HATE clones. Like I said in the topic suggestion Lowe Gear is the only person that fits the definition of a true Coordinator. I respect people that make something of themselves rather than those who are born with what they have.

I really didn't enjoy the Innovades of 00. "We're pretenious douchebags, bow before us!" Yeah, way to get your ass kicked. They were annoying and mostly a waste of screen time. Setsuna's transformation was interesting, but I feel it didn't get as much developing focus or thought as it could have.

I think my main beef with advanced humans is the fandom's warped perception of them and their special treatment in the anime. A lot of it is a mishandled excuse for "superior" piloting, and there are a lot of idiots out there who won't shut up about Newtypes being super powerful or Coordinators 0wnz1ng everyone else. I liked that Gundam Wing could focus on normal people. You can only be born newtype, coordinator, or innovade, but it's your choice to become strong and fight. I like that sort of democracy.

I wish I could get back into model building but I can't ever justify spending money on it. Besides, I don't have the space to display them anymore. The kits that I took with me are in my closet locked up in their "coffins". I die a little inside whenever I see a badass kit of the Ex-S that I know I'll never be able to get. >_<

Soul Bro, you were missed!
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
jabman025

Good show guys but I missed Soul Bro's manic laughter in the background.

I pretty much agree with what you guys said about the advanced humans concept in gundam. I just think that in Gundam 00 it was interesting but never fully fleshed out....but maybe it will be explored more in the movie.

Now for the part of the show I consider myself an expert on. I have currently built over 40 Master Grade model kits and about a dozen or so HG kits (all 1/100) I just finshed my MG GN-X and reviewed it on youtube (shameless self plug I know)

If I were to recomend a good starter kit for people I would say that any of the season 2 kits from Gundam 00 are good. I would stay away from the season 1 kits however, they are not that bad but they have nothing on the season 2 kits. If you want to start a MG collection the kit I often recommend is the Hyaku Shiki. Its a good solid kit but its not so complicated that it will scare off rookie builders.

The mentioned Lacus custom Zeong sounds truely disturbing and yet I still feel as though I have to see it, its kinda like a car crash I guess. The custom jobs I have done ussally involve weathering effects on kits. I have also recolored a MG kampher and installed a LED light for the eye on the MG Zeong.

I have been a model builder since grade school, but back then I build model cars and planes. I have always been a Science fiction nerd, and when gundam came along on toonami with the gundam model kits I was hooked. My wallet and my shelf space have never been the same since.

I buy gunpla from a lot of different places. Gundamstoreandmore is the best domestic place to buy kits. They have the best customer service and the fastest shipping. The only real problem with them is they run out of stock a lot. Hobbywave is much better at having things in stock but they often cost more and take longer to ship. But as mentioned the 10 dollar shipping price is great if your buying multiple kits. Internationlly I buy from dendenkwok and figure_house on ebay. Both places tend to have good prices on new kits but the shipping can be a little rough. I have yet to use hobbylink japan and I am very interested on the new dealer out of japan. If anyone has a link to it it would be appreceated.

I am looking forward to future segemnts on gunpla, I am always open to learning new mods and new ways to improve my model building skills.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
jcncasval76

The second part of this episode has been my primary focus, as I have been building exclusively Master Grade Gundam models for quite a few years (and managed to lose count after 60 while at it). Unfortunately, I have been making quite a few errors during my constructions of them; specifically with not fitting some of the rubber pieces correctly, and breaking various parts during glue-ups (yes, I actually glue them with rubber cement to firmly fit those pieces). In fact, I literally bought 2 or more sets of the same kit to replace the damaged parts. BTW, as the guest host mentioned, the earlier versions MG models are as flimmsy as Gundam Wing HG counterparts, and I even have issues with the newer ones when some of them didn't fit as expected (i.e., the ones that requires screws, and at least one of those kits' weaponary/backpacks are too hard to attach).

As far as finding suppliers for model kits, that's where I have a lot of issues with in San Francisco. There isn't that many shops to sell them unlike a few years back, where I've gone to two or three of them. Now, the only one that is still around in San Francisco is called Japantown Collectibles, since as far as I know is "the only game town". As far as online shopping goes, I have a lot of misgiving about that idea in part of possible damages incur during shipping by the likes of FedEx, UPS, or USPS delivery trucks. Even though I would love to do some businesses with the likes of HLJ, Hobbywave, and others like that, the fear of damaged products arrive in my household prevents me from "pulling that trigger".

As for having the worst built models are concerned, without a shadow of doubt, my initial model constructions are the worst as I only use a pocket knife to cut out the part WITHOUT sanding them smooth. Otherwise, they look better through time even though I don't paint them at all (other than giving them outlines with Gundam marker for outlines). Now, whether I will continue on with new kits depends on my mood and which model kits fits my style and desire.

I sincerely hope there will be more education in model kits with tips on prevention in making errors.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Vent Noir

The conversation about the druggies reminded me of an article in Marvel's humorous 1993 year in review where they mocked some of the lame new characters that got introduced. One of them was:

TRACER: Gives himself temporary superpowers so he can hunt down superhumans, whom he despises. This, of course, is the sociological equivalent of a KKK member dressing up in blackface before making his rounds. Rather than a new series, this guy would be better off with a good therapist.

EDIT: Also just had a thought about Ribbons and the Innovators... I'm no expert, and it's a long time since I heard it, but it kind of reminds me of the Muslim account of Satan's fall from grace: First, God created the angels, then He created man, and ordered the angels to bow down to man. Satan refused, and was therefore cast from heaven.

EDIT 2: You mentioned "whatever Heero is" - I always thought that Heero was just a normal human who had undergone intensive training. I do seem to remember it being hinted that Quatre was something more than human, though.

And G-Gundam might not have any newtypes or whatnot, it did have blatantly superhuman martial artists.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I suddenly remembered something. It's about the first model kit I ever built:

I actually didn't even know it was a model kit at the time. I had bought a toy Scyther (pokemon) from a little store. When I took it home, opened it, and saw it was all in pieces, I of course thought, "What the hell is this??" So I did a shoddy job of putting it together, and i think it broke a few days later. It had a trigger that caused Scyther to swing one of its sickles, so that was kinda cool.

My first Gundam kit was actually the V2 Buster which I bought while in Canada on vacation. Didn't even know what Victory was at the time. Most of my other starter kits were the SD ones.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
thehod

I have been eagerly waiting this episode for a long time. My petitions have been answered hahaha.

Great discussion on enhanced humans/newtypes/clones/etc.

I saw the use of it sometimes as a gimmick in some shows like later in Mobile Suit Gundam where it almost became a monster of the week type thing with newtype weapons thrown against Amuro.
Red Comet90

This episode was really good and informative. Andres was a real big help when I went to his panel during Yasumicon. The Flag I won eventually became my first finished kit. Many props to him for awarding it to me. :mrgreen:

I have to agree with Coordinators and Naturals in SEED. I thought how it portrayed the hatred between the two sides was very well done with things going on in the world at that time. I really hated how the Coordinators became nothing at all once the show goes past the first 20 episodes or so. If only they had kept up the whole "Coordinators are less in number, but superior to Naturals." It made no sense. Too late to fix it now though. :lol:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
bertman4

Re: Votoms
Although it's spelled Chirico, it's actually pronounced Ki-ri-ko. It's a K sound, not a CH sound.

The world is indeed expansive. Back in the 90s (I think) Takahashi ran a serialized novella in New Type (I think) that was set in the Votoms universe, only about 100 years in the future from Chirico's timeline. There the soldier's were artificially created (androids) to fill specific roles. This is all from memory but IIRC there was a soldier who could shoot lasers from his fingers. He had some internal generators which were augmented by solar power collected through his long flowing hair which, being artificial, was not keratin but some sort of optical fibers. Anyway, this was before Shining Heresy so the Nextant could be seen as a prototype of these later models. I don't recall if they were ever collected into a book or not.

Bertman
Chris
Administrator

bertman4 wrote:Re: Votoms
Although it's spelled Chirico, it's actually pronounced Ki-ri-ko. It's a K sound, not a CH sound.
This has been brought up before, but I'm too used to saying it with a CH to say otherwise.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hotlimit

Haven't listened yet, saving this and special 8 for my 7-hour journey next week. I just wanted to give props to the awesome hip-hop reference.
CanadaMan

Was that the same couple who did the Gunpla panel at Yasumicon 2008 when I attended? That was an informative panel, and I scored an HG 1/144 Exia afterward. Now I have to start trying MGs and PGs.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Chris
Administrator

CanadaMan wrote:Was that the same couple who did the Gunpla panel at Yasumicon 2008 when I attended? That was an informative panel, and I scored an HG 1/144 Exia afterward. Now I have to start trying MGs and PGs.
Yes it was. Andres and his wife Candice have been doing the Gunpla panels at Yasumicon for about 3-4 years.
Turn X

It's really nice to see that the panels I did for Yasumicon went over well. I would love to see the Flag that you made.

Turns out the Turn X is my username here, just had to make sure. If you guys have any questions regarding Gunpla or anything, please feel free to PM and I'll help out where I can. Also, the next vid for the PG Gundam 00 Raiser should be up sometime next week.

Thanks again Chris for having me on.
twitter.com/VistFoundation
www.tomopop.com
Chris
Administrator

No problem - I listened to the segment and it was good stuff. Hopefully next time it will be with all of us together.
wielder

It was admittedly weird to not hear Soul Bro every now and then, for better or for worse, but the discussion on the various types of advanced humans was still quite interesting. I agree that Newtypes are mostly Tomino's territory, which has probably intimidated other creators from trying to do too much with them -with a couple of exceptions as you've mentioned- but I also believe that not all stories require their presence. I doubt Tomino planned everything out in advance, if I had to bet his views simply became more cynical as time went on, which was also reflected on other aspects of his later shows (Victory comes to mind, to say the least).

From what little we know about the 00 movie it looks like the whole Innovator/Innovedo debacle will continue to be prominent and I'm wondering if Mizushima and Kuroda will really take the idealistic route by the time everything is said and done.

As for the remaining segment...I've always been a bit too worried about spending money on any model kits without knowing whether I'll just end up screaming in desperation, you get the idea, but it's good to have a basic set of guidelines about what to look for whenever I decide to finally take the plunge.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Amuro Ray of v

It was weird not to hear SBR;s laugh in this ep.

The whole thing on newtypes was very insightful, (Funny, The last time Gundamn talked about newtypes, Chris was not here, now it SBR LOL)

With Modeling I was happy to hear what you guys had to say, I got a NU Gundam a long time ago but I have not put it together yet. I am going to wait a few more eps to hear more far you guys to make sure I know what i am doing.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
Vent Noir

BTW, what's the website of that new model place you mentioned?

Since you're fans of Top Gear, you'll have to track down James May's Toy Stories - especially the Airfix models episode where he attempts to make a LIFE-SIZE model Spitfire.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".