Ep. 047 - So Say We All

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 047 - So Say We All

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 047 - "So Say We All"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 152 min., 05 sec. (2:32:05) - 69.6 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43 (43 sec.)

02. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:18:53 (18 min., 10 sec.)

03. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:18:53 - 0:19:22 (29 sec.)

04. 1st Segment: "Series Spotlight: Battlestar Galactica (2004) - Mini-Series, Seasons 1 & 2"
Runtime: 0:19:22 - 1:11:40 (52 min., 18 sec.)

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:11:40 - 1:12:34 (56 sec.)

06. 2nd Segment "Series Spotlight: Battlestar Galactica (2004) - Seasons 3 & 4"
Runtime: 1:12:34 - 1:59:05 (47 min., 41 sec.)

07. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:59:05 - 2:00:35 (1 min., 30 sec.)

08. 3rd Segment "Series Spotlight: Battlestar Galactica (2004) - Razor & The Plan (Movies)"
Runtime: 2:00:35 - 2:26:25 (25 min., 50 sec.)

09. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 2:26:25 - 2:27:00 (35 sec.)

10. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:27:00 - 2:32:05 (5 min., 5 sec.)

This fraking episode is jam packed with Space Opera awesomeness as we tackle the award winning re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica! Not only the series is covered, but we also discuss the mini-series that kicked off this epic as well as the two movies, "Razor" & "The Plan".

Much props go out to our friend Dollow Rlance (A.K.A Mechatalk.net's "Amuro Ray of V") the host of the Solar Radio Wave podcast. In celebration of our 2 year anniversary, he edited a massive compilation of some of our best moments during that time, calling it "Mobile Podcast Gundamn!: The Two Year War". It turned out great, and for those who'd like to check it out right click and save the link below:

Special 008: "Mobile Podcast Gundamn! - The Two Year War!"
64 kbps - 267 min., 52 sec. (4:27:52) - 123 MB

Also, check out our friend Andrew Cook and his podcast, "Pretentious Internet Theatre", where he takes the best of the worst fanfics the internet has to offer and reads excerpts from them by the fireside! Think "Masterpiece Theatre" without the masterpieces! Otakus will love it! ^_^

Last but not least, it's that time of year again. Gundamn will be coming to you live - not once, but twice! - this year @ MegaCon 2010 in Orlando, FL on March 12 - 14, 2010! If you are going to be in the Central Florida area that weekend make sure to stop on by the Orange County Convention Center and participate in the madness on:

- Friday; March 12, 2010 @ 8pm - 10pm
- Sunday; March 14, 2010 @ 12pm - 2pm
- Room: W224D

Watch this space & our websites, MAHQ.net & Gundamn.net for more info about the live show in the very near future & we're looking forward to seeing you there!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Anime Addicts Anonymous

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Re: Ep. 047 - So Say We All

Well, thank you very much for answering my question (sorry about SRW, I listen to you since only the Gurren Lagann Spotlight).
Great show!!! Makes me want to check out BStarG (XD) now.
BTW: TheSuspiciousRedLamp is the english name of Lelouch Lamperouge if you didn't know.
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
frezik

One thing guys: the 4th season wasn't cut in two bits because Skiffy wanted to drag it out. It was because they had no more scripts at that point due to the Writer's Strike. It wasn't a marketing trick, just a victim of circumstance, and there was some question if BSG was going to have an ending at all.

I'd also like to point out that not only was Moore responsible for the better parts of Berman-era of Star Trek, but that some elements of BSG were his apology for Voyager. There was a huge falling out between him and Berman in the first season, and BSG took on a lot of the things he wanted to do on Voyager (e.g., constantly on the run and barely have enough supplies to limp around).

Otherwise, good episode, and a nice change of pace from the traditional anime discussion.
JQuilty

But Chris, I'm still dying to know what happens at the end of Char's Counterattack. :lol:

Good episode though.
Chris
Administrator

frezik wrote:One thing guys: the 4th season wasn't cut in two bits because Skiffy wanted to drag it out. It was because they had no more scripts at that point due to the Writer's Strike. It wasn't a marketing trick, just a victim of circumstance, and there was some question if BSG was going to have an ending at all.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I recall the second half being pushed back before the strike ever happened, and reading Moore say at some point that after the strike they re-wrote the entire second half of the season they already had. If Sci-Fi didn't delay the show before the strike, what would there have been to re-write after the strike?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
jcncasval76

Here's my thought of BSG (2003-2009)

First, with regards to the Writer's Guild Strike, BSG wasn't the only show that got affected. Second, the ending of BSG looks more like a twist of irony with those who tried to forget their tragic history will haunt humanity once again, and I actually enjoy that series - even though I didn't watch the whole series from the start (I didn't watch it until in the middle of the second season). Third, the appearance of the first Cylon Centaurians was great - but you should watch Caprica to see more of those "toasters". Fourth, the new generation of Cylon - as well as the Human Cylons - makes me completely forget the old series altogether, ironically I don't really like the old series. Lastly, I really don't mind some of the shady overtones since we already have those already (i.e., discrimination and suicide bombing) in real life.

Overall, the series raised the presentation of what Glen Larson originally intended back in 1980. I hope I will soon get the complete box set, so I can see this spectacle of BSG.

BTW, Kevin Smith DID say "BStarG", so for once SoulBro's not lying about it.
Last edited by jcncasval76 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
jcncasval76

JQuilty wrote:But Chris, I'm still dying to know what happens at the end of Char's Counterattack. :lol:

Good episode though.
both Amuro & Char died, they are "charbroiled" during entry to Earth's atmosphere without protection. 'nuff said?
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Kaioshin Sama

Battlestar Galactica was a great series although I don't think it quite reached the heights of Moore's prior sci-fi entry Star Trek DS9 even though it had a similiar style and strength in trying to build a family out of an isolated crew. It's kind of hard to top Gul Dukat who stands alongside the likes of Char Aznable in my list of all time great sci-fi villians and while Brother Cavil was sadistic and cunning enough I never quite felt him as a threatening or even charismatic character so much as one that knew the role he played and revelled in it. With him you knew he was suspicious and where he stood almost from the momen he was revealed as a Cylon, but the way Gul Dukat seemed to teeter between redemption and damnation throughout the series until his final submission to his darker side in the outstanding and unforgettable "Waltz" episode made him an enigmatic and intriguing character like few that Western Sci-Fi has ever seen.

However to BSG's absolute credit it had an unforgettable cast of heroes in the likes of Bill Adama, Helo, Starbuck and Lee Adama. Also I guess one could say that Gaius Baltar was kind of like the Gul Dukat character of this series in that his ego and will to survive always threatened to relieve him of what little humanity and virtue he had, but unlike Dukat he eventually choose the path of redemption.
phillosmaster

I'm with Chris on his comments about the last hour of the show. I had the "are you serious" moment as I was watching those scenes as well. Even still it's a great show and I'd recommend it to anyone. I liked Kat BTW. I thought she was a good rival character for Starbuck. Though I was a bit wierded out by Apollo's character progression from pilot->Pegasus commander->lawyer->politician->tribesman.
Last edited by phillosmaster on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Chris
Administrator

Kaioshin:

I'd agree with you on DS9, but let's not forget the show ran for two years before Moore joined the staff. Yeah, Cavill wasn't the best of villains, but Dean Stockwell played him well, and it was a very nice turn from what I'm used to seeing him do (it's also amusing that at the same time he was playing a villain on BSG, his old Quantum Leap buddy Scott Bakula was captain of the Enterprise).

As for Dukat, he's a very unique character that I can't recall seeing anyone similar in other shows. He was always interesting in the way that he danced the line between evil and redemption. I'm rewatching the series, and his most recent appearance in "Indiscretion" illustrates it perfectly. Although he's sad about his dead mistress, he's willing to kill his own daughter just because of the political effects, until Kira and Ziyal convince him otherwise. I don't know if I'd compare Baltar to Dukat because they have some major differences. Baltar was the unwitting and unknowing destroyer of humanity, whereas Dukat actively oppressed the Bajorans and sold out his people to the Dominion. Dukat is a very calculating guy (even when he's not bad), whereas Baltar is one of these geniuses with no common sense, and the whole time you get the sense that he's in over his head and just trying to keep it above the water.
hotlimit

Hey great show, this was a real treat because I kinda saw BSG (Season 4, which I actually thought was seasons 4 + 5 hahah). Around the premier of the fourth season my friend started talking about it, and how I could never understand how awesome the show was. I showed him! Sort of...

I have to agree with Soul Bro and Neo that the ending wasn't exactly a giant cop-out. I guess they could have explained things in a better way, but I was totally fine with Starbuck being some kind of celestial being. My friend (who watched the whole series) was watching the season finale with me, and he seemed to really like it.

Overall I'm not a huge sci-fi fan (any episodes of TNG or DS9 I saw were against my will, hahaha :( ), but it was such a well produced show that I think anyone who was into serial dramas could watch it.

One thing that struck me about the final season (which I don't think you talked too much about) was how desperate everything got, until the point where the entire Battlestar was coming apart and they were debating fixing it with the cylon materials or whatever.
Amuro Ray of v

Great podcast.

I love the point when you were talking about the PS3, I laugh so hard. "Someone call up Tomino, we got a PS3 thats got to go"

The show for the most part I like but I don't like the cam shots in the show, it always takes me out of it. The shows tone is very grim, its somewhat like V Gundam where you get a heavy feeling of sadness.

SBR's top ten moments in the show was really cool, I think you guys should do that for every show you do.

Keep up the good work
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
phillosmaster

When I was in high school, the sci fi channel use to have that saturday morning anime block, and the anime week marathon in the summer. I got introduce to Gall Force Eternal Story this way. It was my favorite show from that old run, and now it sits on my DVD shelf next the other Gall Force movies.

In any event I originally was hesitant to watch BSG because I (like SBR) still had a bad taste in my mouth from the original series, but I was convinced by some friends to check it out and I was hooked. Part of the reason being that a lot of the things I loved about Gall Force Eternal Story also appear in BSG, and those concepts were explored more thoroughly in BSG since it was a series with multiple season and GFET was just a movie. Don't get me wrong though. I'm not accusing the creators of BSG of plagiarism (The two aren't that similar and It's quite possible that some of the similarities were caused by the original BSG influencing GFET anyway since GFET did come out almost a decade later.) I'm merely pointing out that they are following similar sci fi tropes (Gall Force admittedly draws on western Sci Fi as it's inspiration. The most obvious influence is GFET's middle story arc share many themes with the first Alien movie, which itself was just channeling older Sci Fi tropes use by TV shows like Doctor Who decades earlier.). If you liked BSG and you like anime then you might like Gall Force Eternal Story. If any of you guys haven't checked it out yet, it's a definite recommend from me.
Last edited by phillosmaster on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Mu La Flaga

Admittingly kind of interesting but not much in this episode for me I never got in to BSG.
But not because I wasn't interested in it, was mostly because of the times it was put on over here.

Maybe some day I will look in to it or not.
Baron von Poopy

Only about halfway through this podcast right now, but thought I'd drop a quick thought - there two books that may be of interest both titled "Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy."
One is from Blackwell Press (subtitled "Knowledge Here Begins Out There") and the other is from Open Court Press (subtitled "Mission Accomplished or Mission Fraked Up?).

Each chapter examines an aspect of the series, or an episode (some also hit up the old 70s show) to discuss philosophical underpinnings.

Personally, I'd recommend the Open Court one for a variety of reasons I won't get into here.

Open Court also has an Anime and Philosophy and a Manga and Philosophy coming out soon as well. I know in the anime volume, there is at least one chapter dealing with GitS and one with MSG.
Amuro Ray of v

I was listening to this ep again as I saw the show again and I have some more comments.

The ending was something that I didn't understand very well myself, as I was watching again the answers doesn't really work for me too, maybe because it was so simple that I couldn't buy it, and Starbuck is one of the characters that I couldn't like in the show, everytime I saw her I just would just get really angry at the character for the fact that she could never make up her mind and about her feelings, and that comes out of the fact that I knew someone like that and it always piss me off. It also seems like that the crew were pretty unlike able at times too, and I guess that comes from the mood of the show and that its whole point was to give off the feeling of sadness and dispair as time from they start on their quest for Earth, things go from bad to worse most of the time and everyone gets to the point that they can't stand each other and they all want to kill each other, playing on the fact that humans really can never coexist with others.

Thats all I have to say at this point; I might have more to say later, keep up the good work.

P.S.
Talk about Stargate someday please.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
NastyNate

Hey you guys all got to play Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield 0081 for the ps3. It has countless hours of fun when you try to collect the best parts for your online mobile suit beast. Plus the story mode is tons of fun. Also all of the battle series for psp are lots of fun. And the first person shooter gundam game for wii is very fun. There are a few really awesome gundam games out there!!!!
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Arorn0086

phew finaly managed to listen to the whole the last podcast since finding Gundamn! a few weeks ago and i have to say great show guys! i look foward to the reviews and spotlights you have in the future, if Soul Bro survives long enough to edit and post them that is, cause i can see Chris or Neo trying to hid his body somewhere if he keeps interupting :P.

i have to say though, i kind of can see where soul bro is coming from when he says he would prefer to see the entire show begining to end, as thats what put me off watching some shows in general (since i dont have control of the tv with Sky in my house, ergo i regretfully missed BSG when it was on the air in the UK) and have to wait till A) the show comes out on DVD or itunes, and B) i have money for it.

anyways keep up the good work, and look forward to see what you review next.

PS. stop calling Demon Lord Scottish Soul Bro, you might end up insulting some of us acctual Scots :P.
"Lockon Stratos, targeted and firing!" - Neil/Lyle Dylandy, Gundam Meister

"Free will is an Illusion"

The Scotsman from Wales

PSN/XBOX: Arorn
bertman4

Just finished listening to part 1.
Re: Season 2 of BSG.
Spoiler
You guys kind of glossed over Gina, the Six model that was on Pegasus. She played a pivotal role during the Pegasus arc IMHO. Her brutal treatment on Pegasus reinforces how much of a war criminal Admiral Cain really was. Having her around really shakes up Baltar. Here in flesh, so to speak, is the woman that he loved (probably) on Caprica. Not to mention it's the same woman as the vision in his head. I think he thinks that if he can save her, he can redeem himself. Her escape results in Cain's death. Her rehabilitation gives Baltar emotional support. Just when everything is going his way, including the election, he loses her and it destroys him. Gina's trigger of the nuke explosion above New Caprica eventually will call down the Cylons. Kudos to Tricia Helfer for playing her and all the other Six models.
Bertman
Chris
Administrator

As I have said often whenever someone says "You didn't mention __________" - these are general overviews of the shows. You can't expect us to discuss in detail each and every thing that happens, even if it seems so important to you. We don't have the time to go so in depth on everything.