Strike Zero's Mecha Studio : We've got stuff.

The place to share your artwork.
Wingnut

Re: Strike Zero's Mecha Studio : Back in the game!

Twin drive Bawoo? Was this Marline's machine that you were cooking up?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Strike Zero

Single drive, actually. If there was one on the opposite shoulder, it would be visible.

Oh, and yes. 8)
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
The Big Zabowski

Strike Zero wrote:Single drive, actually. If there was one on the opposite shoulder, it would be visible.

Oh, and yes. 8)
Ok.. now you have to rehash that into the Blackhawk. XD One of these days we should have Marlene and Kit duke it out to see which GN Bawoo-like suit is supreme. :D

But seriously, Strike; I would like to see your take on the Blackhawk. Mind you the Drive would be on the back so not visible in 3/4 view.

GNP-WS6 Gundam 'Blackhawk'
Model number: GNP-WS6
Code name: Gundam Blackhawk
Unit type: prototype super high performance GN transformable mobile suit
Manufacturer: Celestial Being/Divine Crusaders
Operator: Divine Crusaders
First deployment: CE100
Accommodation: pilot in panoramic monitor cockpit in torso
Dimensions: Mobile Suit Mode: overall height 22.05 meters, head height 18.5 meters;
Bawoo Attacker Mode: overall length 31.94 meters, wingspan 24.26 meters
Weight: mobile suit mode: empty 74.7 metric tons, max gross 97.5 metric tons; Bawoo Attacker: max gross 97.5 metric tons
Armor materials: E-Carbon composite armor
Powerplant: GN Whysp Drive, mounted in torso
Propulsion: 14 x GN thrusters; 2x GN 'overboost' thrusters
Performance: maximum thruster acceleration: mobile suit mode 2.22 G, MA mode 4.44 G
Equipment and design features: sensors; transformation system, GN Barrier, thrust and servo limiters removed
Fixed armaments: 2 x GN rotary beam 'vulcans', mounted under forearms; 2 x GN beam saber, stored in recharge racks in forearms, hand-carried in use; 6 x GNM-04G heavy GN missile, mounted on wing binders, operable in MA mode only
Optional fixed armaments: 2x GN shield w/ 4x GN RPGs each, can be mounted on main body of in MA mode, one per arm in MS mode
Optional hand armaments: GN semi-auto beam rifle, mounts on main body in MA mode

Base Lineart to go crazy on here: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn31 ... 1250532510

More lineart of a gundamized Bawoo that inspired the Blackhawk: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn31 ... 726339.jpg

GN Drive would go in the typical Season 1 location where the propellant tanks are in the second image. Take your time, not in any rush.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Strike Zero

Can do. I assume the paint-job would be a mostly-black color scheme, correct? Or did you have something else in mind?

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, it's just that I... would have never noticed. :P
The Big Zabowski

Strike Zero wrote:Can do. I assume the paint-job would be a mostly-black color scheme, correct? Or did you have something else in mind?
Yeah. Kinda inspired by the '77 Bandit Trans Ams too.

http://www.cor-vette.com/projects/1977/dr77se10.JPG
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Strike Zero

Um...ta-dah?

If you notice, I didn't change the Bawoo A's body much or its backpack at all. But, since it's supposed to be a Gundam-ized Bawoo-A, I figured that'd be alright. So, there you go.
The Big Zabowski

Strike Zero wrote:Um...ta-dah?

If you notice, I didn't change the Bawoo A's body much or its backpack at all. But, since it's supposed to be a Gundam-ized Bawoo-A, I figured that'd be alright. So, there you go.
Oddly enough, that's just what it is.

[cliffnotes]They patched it up, tore the old reactor out, plugged in the GN drive. Then looked at the head and said "that's not right.." so stuck eyes and a Vfin on it.[/cliffnotes]

Did have a pair of shields on the arms that acted in a similar fashion to the Arios and/or Gaplant but that's no biggie. Nice enough to actually have lineart for it now. Much appreciated, Strike.

:mrgreen:
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... lyaold.jpg

I think I actually like this a little better. It's at least free of errors from what I can tell. I think what Elya needs is sideburns--you know, something to frame that little face of hers. Give that a shot.

Now, let me give a weird/half-assed tip: I've skimmed through a few drawing books (never have I sat down and read one, hahaha) and the universal technique for drawing faces is to draw out the whole shape of the head and then use a crosshair to align the features. Of course, a vertical line for the center of the face that lines up the nose and mouth, and then a horizontal line exactly halfway on the head, which is where the eyes should be. Now, I never actually do this because I'm thinking "I'm screwing up enough as it is! Now I have more lines to erase?!" But what I find is that I always think about these alignment rules when I draw a face. It gets me in the ballpark, and I can make small adjustments later. You could always look this up, because my explanation sucks. =p

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... /Hanzo.jpg

Awesome. =o I especially like the color choices. Some may say it looks very monotone, but it emphasizes the metal in his armor. Really sleek geometry, and I really like how the skirt armor turned out.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... s-Copy.jpg

lol. Looks a lot like the original. =p

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... Prince.jpg

Huh. The effect you used for his shadow is pretty neat, I think.

From what I can tell, you do extremely well with the proportions of your characters. (A thousand times better than me. Crash constantly has to nag me about it. I'm sure he's getting tired, haha.) I know those other drawings might be old or whatever, but keep practicing with hands/feet/faces. Just keep studying pictures and doing more drawings and eventually the whole process will get very natural, and you won't struggle so much to get things to "look right". They were all very strong attempts I would say, though.

=o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

Seraphic wrote: Now, let me give a weird/half-assed tip: I've skimmed through a few drawing books (never have I sat down and read one, hahaha) and the universal technique for drawing faces is to draw out the whole shape of the head and then use a crosshair to align the features. Of course, a vertical line for the center of the face that lines up the nose and mouth, and then a horizontal line exactly halfway on the head, which is where the eyes should be. Now, I never actually do this because I'm thinking "I'm screwing up enough as it is! Now I have more lines to erase?!" But what I find is that I always think about these alignment rules when I draw a face. It gets me in the ballpark, and I can make small adjustments later. You could always look this up, because my explanation sucks. =p
Here's what Sera's talking about:
http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/mal ... arter1.htm
http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/new ... tview1.htm
http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/profile/profile.htm
Seraphic wrote: .....Crash constantly has to nag me about it. I'm sure he's getting tired, haha.) I know those other drawings might be old or whatever, but keep practicing with hands/feet/faces. Just keep studying pictures and doing more drawings and eventually the whole process will get very natural, and you won't struggle so much to get things to "look right"...
I'm not tired, I just woke up!
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
Strike Zero

Hello, hello everybody! Today's update is should prove to be very special, for I'm going to be introducing you to a new female friend of mine. However, this is no ordinary female friend, oh no. From this day forth, this particular girl will now be acting as my new company mascot. Yes, this is now a company. Anyway, allow me to introduce you all to Scylla. Scylla, say hi to all the nice people.

Scylla: ......

Scylla doesn't talk very much, but she's a very nice girl. In fact, she's so nice, that she herself has offered to deal with anybody who says that they don’t like my work. Scylla, why don't you show the nice people how you deal with anybody who doesn't like my work?

Scylla: BROKEN... PHANTOM~~!!

*KA-BOOM!!*

*appreciative whistle*

Any questions?
Seraphic

Strike Zero wrote:Any questions?
....Does she have a sister? :P
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

Strike Zero

No, she does not.

...Yet. 8)
Seraphic

Strike Zero wrote:Scylla: ......
This is quite a good attempt. I'm somewhat curious of the various methods people use for mecha musume. Did you draw out Scylla's figure before adding the "armor" on top, or did you just draw the entire thing directly?

Do her arms detach for rocket punches? =p

There's that old problem creeping up again. Of course, it's not so noticeable unless you stare very hard, but you have some alignment problems for how you drew her head. At the least, her face seems to be leaning or tilted, which is understandable if you are going for that sort of posture, but her helmet doesn't line up with that motion.

Her armor is very good and detailed. I think the design is a bit blocky and masculine for a lady though. =p

I think Scylla's interesting. You should put her into a few comics.

And while I'm doing this, can I ask you something about recoloring, Strike? I think you mentioned in the custom lineart topic that you recolor by lifting sets of colors into their own layers. How is that done exactly? If I'm just making that up out of thin air, sorry. If not, thanks in advance. =o
-Antares

Strike Zero

Seraphic wrote:This is quite a good attempt. I'm somewhat curious of the various methods people use for mecha musume. Did you draw out Scylla's figure before adding the "armor" on top, or did you just draw the entire thing directly?
T'would be the former in this case, just so I had an idea of where her body would be among the mechanical mess.
Seraphic wrote:Do her arms detach for rocket punches? =p
Sure, why not? :P It's either that, or the "glove" itself fires off of her arm and punches the enemy in the face.
Seraphic wrote:There's that old problem creeping up again. Of course, it's not so noticeable unless you stare very hard, but you have some alignment problems for how you drew her head. At the least, her face seems to be leaning or tilted, which is understandable if you are going for that sort of posture, but her helmet doesn't line up with that motion.
Considering that the majority of the drawing was finished in the middle of a lecture without any real scrutiny paid towards her face, I find that little defect unsurprising and in fact heartening that it could only be spotted upon staring at it really hard. :)
Seraphic wrote:Her armor is very good and detailed. I think the design is a bit blocky and masculine for a lady though. =p
Hey! What's wrong with a lady being blocky and masculine..?!

Saying that out loud didn't sound too good...
Seraphic wrote:And while I'm doing this, can I ask you something about recoloring, Strike? I think you mentioned in the custom lineart topic that you recolor by lifting sets of colors into their own layers. How is that done exactly? If I'm just making that up out of thin air, sorry. If not, thanks in advance. =o
Ah, that. My method is follows: I take the Polygonnal Lasso tool, select each bit of the color I want to change by hand, then copy and paste them into a new layer. Simple as that. With the colors isolated in their own layer, I'm able to use the Replace Color and Color Variation tool to change the color/hue/saturation/whatever without worrying about the change affecting the colors I don't want to change. It can be quite tedious (especially if the suit I'm working on has a lot of details), and I'm almost positive that some other method could be used to achieve the same result in a much quicker fashion. However, it's what I've found works best for me after all this time expirimenting with the program at any rate.

Anyvay, look for more updates involving little girls dressed up in mechanical powered armors of doom. Who knows? Maybe it'll become my new thing.
Strike Zero

I've discovered something fascinating today: working on a story involving magical girls gives me a perfectly legitimate excuse to draw said magical girls during astronomy lectures!

Okay, not really, but anyway, TA-DAH~!

First off, yes, I know it's a terrible drawing. So sue me, it's a rough sketch. I'll work on perfection later when I feel like it. :P

In the context of her actual character, know that she is not supposed to look nearly that confident and collected -- it's just that having her looking scared out of her wits while standing in an exhibition pose would have looked extremely weird.
Seraphic

Bleh, I haven't left any real comments for anyone in a while. Maybe I'll just spend the weekend doing that.... =o

I'm not sure what type of astronomy you're taking, but if it's the introductory class for science majors, don't ignore it, or it'll turn around and get 'cha right in the ass. =o

I like this drawing. It's very detailed and it uses some interesting perspective and posture. Quite ambitious of you to start off with such a drawing!

My first bit of advice is to use a heavier line for her top eyelashes. Maybe feather the corner slightly. I know she's only 15 but it could help if she was easier distinguished as a lady. Just make sure it doesn't get quite as heavy as this. She should look girly, but don't make it ridiculous. Still 15, right? :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if you drew this, but did you draw her cranium underneath the hair while you were working on the head? Her hair actually looks a bit lopsided. You might have noticed that if you followed that technique. I think you need to sit down and have a few practice runs to try to eliminate this problem, as it keeps reoccurring, Strike. :P

And it's hard to tell because that long skirt is in the way, but something about the perspective in her legs seems off to me. Maybe they're not long enough. But there wasn't much space on the paper here, so don't worry about it too much.

If you haven't looked into Jubei-chan yet, Strike, you may find this review for the first season helpful. And spoilers, lol, but this clip was what got me into the series in the first place. It's from the second season. =o

I see good things in this recent project. Keep crankin' them out, sir.
-Antares

Strike Zero

Seraphic wrote:I'm not sure what type of astronomy you're taking, but if it's the introductory class for science majors, don't ignore it, or it'll turn around and get 'cha right in the ass. =o
Science major? HELL no! :o Those guys have to do, like, math and stuff! I'm just filling general science requirements until I can be an art major or something.

Anyway, onto updates: I'm entering the art contest! And I gots a rough draft entry!

For those who can't tell, it's supposed to be a remodeled Dra-C. It's far from finished; there are still a few parts I'd like to retouch -- the head, looking at it now, seems a tad too big to me, for starters -- and then there's the issue of making it look pretty by coloring and/or shading. I just figured I'd put up the draft for anybody who might happen to have any helpful insights with regards to improving the design.

And, you know, also to scare anybody who might be having any bright ideas of beating me. :twisted:

(j/k)
Strike Zero

Well, I was too late for the contest, but I found some free time this afternoon and decided to finish the design.

Presenting:

MS-21V Dra-V

MS-21VS Dra-V Super

Because legs are for pussies. :P

I am unfortunately too lazy to write up any specs or notes. The gist of the idea behind the Dra-V would be a high-speed space attacker for hit-and-run operations in space. One might equate it to the likes of a space A-10, hence the space gatling gun mounted to the right arm, designed specifically for tearing space-targets to shreds.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take my beloved space attacker to outer space, use it to conquer all space-noids and become the new ultimate supreme space king. In space.
Seraphic

lol, I could swear that word should be filtered. Maybe the plural form doesn't count. :P

This thing looks awesome, Strike. If it had made it in time, I think I would have voted for it. You did a very good job with the high contrast in the shading. I see some lines on the fins that maybe should be straighter than they are, but they help the design look more organic, so whatever.

Is this Dra-V much bigger than a Dra-C? Maybe it's Neue Ziel size.

So you have a space A-10, and I have an atmospheric A-10. Maybe after a while I'll make a space variant of the AriesII (which in and of itself is lolworthy) and conquer your turf, too. =p
-Antares