Spontaneous Art Contest!! >=o O,O

The place to share your artwork.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Spontaneous Art Contest!! >=o O,O

Wcch! =o

We were all being a little indecisive, so I'll decide for you!

The theme of this contest is: "Most Unlikely Grunt Upgrade".

Take a relatively unnoticed grunt mech and give it new life!

(tentative) Rules:

1. Frankeners: your entry must comprise of more than a recoloring and different weapons.

2. Those who doodle: ...uh...no tracing? I figured that would be fair.

3. You may submit more than 1 entry. (But given that voters only vote once each, you are hurting your odds of winning, lol.)

4. Supplemental material such as additional lineart, modes, or equipment is encouraged.

5. Your entry may be an old project you had completed before this contest.

6. Your grunt upgrade must still remain a grunt! (debatable)

I know most of us are in school, so the deadline is March 31st at 11:59pm. This can be negotiated. For instance, we can close the contest early if all the willing participants complete their projects early.

So why the hell should anyone participate?? The winner shall have an art request filled out by me! (Which could be really good or really stupid, depending on who you are. :lol: ) Keep in mind, I can attempt both mechs or characters. I might also just color some lineart you have laying around.

Here's the important thing: other artists may volunteer themselves to fill out the request for the winner. If we have enough people participate, what we'll end up with is everyone's interpretation of the winner's one request! This could potentially be one of the coolest prizes ever devised on MechaTalk!

So this is both a contest and an art collaboration. Two birds with one stone! (Seraph is such a handsome, clever devil ain't he?) If you would like to volunteer for the request collaboration, please announce yourself in this thread, along with what you will be willing to franken, draw, or model.

And so you'll know what you're up against....

That's pretty much a "raw" scan modified from this. The finished version will be cleaned and colored. Since I got a head start, I'll give myself an earlier deadline of February 28th 11:59pm. That's rather fair, maybe. (If I happen to win and no one else volunteers requests...I'll just be satisfied with the "prize" that I ran a contest. Filling my own requests? lol)

Okay, keep your questions, submissions, and announcements of participation for the collab in this thread. We may also negotiate rules or deadlines.

Good luck. God speed. (Deity bestowed velocity.) =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
ShadowCell

Re: Spontaneous Art Contest!! >=o O,O

On what criteria are the submissions judged?
Seraphic

At first, I had thought the one which was "most unlikely" could win, but that entry would win out of cleverness rather than art talent. "Unlikeliness" is also a hard thing to rate explicitly. =p

The most straight-forward method is for voters to select their favorite entry. If anyone else has ideas for criteria, I'm all ears. I'm not against having upwards of two winners for separate categories, but the voting could get loopy. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

ShadowCell

m'kay. And what do you mean by "must remain a grunt"? Does that mean that, say, a Zaku II upgrade has to be as mass-production-friendly as the original Zaku II? Or does that mean that you can make a variant that may or may not be mass produced in large quantities in the context which you create for it?
Seraphic

It means your entry doesn't take on the identity of the uber-powerful main protagonist mech. Like turning the Guntank into some kind of "Guntank Gundam" or something like that. I would rather the contest be a celebration of grunt mechs and their potential rather than upgrading them to the point where they lose their identity as the common mech. The military it is deployed by should be able to produce it in some quantity without sh*tting their pants.

I hope the participants have the general intuition to know what I mean, but if this turns into some retarded debate of grunt-ness I may just strike the rule from the list. I just didn't want the contest to turn into a parade of Gundam wannabes.

Good entries should retain a grunt vibe and is easily related to the base grunt.
-Antares

Strike Zero

Seraphic wrote:I hope the participants have the general intuition to know what I mean, but if this turns into some retarded debate of grunt-ness I may just strike the rule from the list. I just didn't want the contest to turn into a parade of Gundam wannabes.
You won't have to worry about that from *me*, at least; Mass-production Gundams are hella-boring. :P
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Turinu

Hmm, this is tempting. Maybe I could do a re-envisioning of my sexy Leo design...
SNT1

The military it is deployed by should be able to produce it in some quantity without sh*tting their pants.
Would you consider Overflags fitting that criteria? Or are those too limited MP?

I have an idea or two floating in mind. They have nothing to do with Flags, but I thought Flags and Overflag would be an appropriate grunt to limited-grunt benchmark.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Seraphic

Well, there were a handful of Overflags, right? They were quickly replaced by GN-Xs which I'm sure are more expensive anyway.... "Flags" in general are approved.

Iffy cases, but you might call Masurao and Susano-O "really nice Flags". I don't want to limit everyone's ideas too much, but I'll greenlight or redflag mechs by individual cases if need be. Give your entry a context appropriate for the contest's theme, at least.
-Antares

Fritz Ashlyn

ENTRY TIME GO

THE FEDERATION'S ADORABLY NAMED FIRST ATTEMPT AT COBBLING AN MS TOGETHER, THE RRF-06 ZANNY, SOMEHOW GETS SELECTED FOR REVISION AND UPGRADE!

THE RESULT: WHOOOA!!!

Calm down, this was a joke entry.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Seraphic

I laughed very hard. Thanks for that. :mrgreen:
-Antares

SNT1

Cool, then I might go ahead with my idea. For starters, it's a grunt worse than a Leo. I'm going to see if I can make it worth anything :lol:
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

...can I go with my RX-10 design for the 'grunt base'? The RX-10 is actually a construction grade mecha but I often show it in military roles by less well off groups. I'll of course supply art for both the original RX-10 and this heavily modified might-actually-be-able-to-take-on-military-strength-mecha version.

Or does it have to have a base from existing anime?

Oh I'll add myself to the list for prize drawing artists....will be good for a distraction or something.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
ShadowCell

bwahahaha first entry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/S ... ndoZel.jpg
Model number: XM-08
Code name: Zondo Zel
Unit type: general purpose mobile suit
Manufacturer: Crossbone Vanguard
Operator: Crossbone Vanguard
First deployment: UC 0125
Accommodation: pilot only, in panoramic monitor/linear seat cockpit in torso
Dimensions: head height 14.6 meters
Weight: empty 8.5 metric tons; max gross 18.5 metric tons
Armor materials: titanium alloy/high-ceramic composite
Powerplant: Minovsky type ultracompact fusion reactor, output rated at 4720 kW
Propulsion: rocket thrusters: 3 x 19500 kg, 4 x 8770 kg, 4 x 6290, 6 x 4940 kg; vernier thrusters/apogee motors: 90
Performance: maximum thruster acceleration 4.21 G
Equipment and design features: sensors, range unknown; beam flag emitter, mounted on backpack
Fixed armaments: beam shield, mounted on left shoulder armor; 2 x beam saber, stored in recharge racks in shoulder armor, hand-carried in use
Optional fixed armaments: beam shield, mounted on either forearm
Optional hand armaments: shot lancer with mounted 4-barrel heavy machine gun; beam rifle, powered by replacable e-pac, can be stored on rear skirt armor; beam launcher, powered by replaceable e-pac

An intended replacement for the Crossbone Vanguard's aging Den'an Zon, the Zondo Zel incorporates data and concepts from higher-performance machines like the Berga Giros and Vigna Ghina, streamlining them into a sleeker, lighter mobile suit intended for mass-production. It can carry either a beam rifle or a shot lancer as its main weapon, as well as a beam launcher derived from the ones the Federation uses. The Zondo Zel, built by the Crossbone Vanguard factions loyal to Berah Ronah at the outset of the Crossbone civil war, focuses mainly on maneuverability and speed to deal with other compact Crossbone mobile suits and the Federation's new lightweight mobile suit models. It sees all kind of action during the war and performs moderately well, although not as well as its designers promise, against the older Crossbone machines. After the civil war, Berah's followers use the Zondo Zel as a basis for their itsy bitsy teeny weeny Zondo Gei.

edit: yay for typos.
Last edited by ShadowCell on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphic

crashlegacy14 wrote:...can I go with my RX-10 design for the 'grunt base'? The RX-10 is actually a construction grade mecha but I often show it in military roles by less well off groups. I'll of course supply art for both the original RX-10 and this heavily modified might-actually-be-able-to-take-on-military-strength-mecha version.

Or does it have to have a base from existing anime?

Oh I'll add myself to the list for prize drawing artists....will be good for a distraction or something.
Your submission may be from an original project, but along with your entry you should include artwork or specs for the original grunt so that the voters understand the context you are working in. Personally, I was hoping to see which existing grunt you'd pick out, but an RX-10 would also do nicely. =p

(Crash, by the way, is one of those people who wouldn't benefit from winning the contest's prize.) :roll: :lol:

Thank you for volunteering! Together, Crash and Seraph shall set the world of mechanical design ablaze! Nothing shall stop them! (except for lethargy and depression)
ShadowCell wrote:bwahahaha first entry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/S ... ndoZel.jpg
Holy crap, that was fast. @,@ Maybe 1.5 months is too long. Did you just have this laying around, or did you really just finish it in a couple of days, ShadowCell?

edit: dumb typo
Last edited by Seraphic on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Antares

ShadowCell

I've been kicking the idea around for a few weeks, and that's usually the part that takes me the longest.

That and, uh, no school today. =P
Heretic

Score, it’s reading week and I’m to broke to leave the college, so I get to work on all kinds of fun things.
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
Josh

I'm predicting half the submissions will be Leos or some other suit from Wing.
Red Zaku

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6164/d ... rsted1.jpg

Model number: DT-6896FB
Code name: Leopard Daughtress Full Burst
Unit type: heavy weapons mobile suit
Manufacturer: Vulture (based on a design by the United Nations Earth)
Operator: Vulture
First deployment: A.W. 0024
Accommodation: pilot only, in standard cockpit in torso
Dimensions: head height 16.8 meters
Weight: empty 8.5 metric metric tons; max gross weight unknown
Armor materials: titanium alloy armor and frame
Powerplant: ultracompact fusion reactor, power output rating unknown
Equipment and design features: sensors, range unknown
Fixed armaments: inner arm Gatling, mounted on backpack, fits over left arm when deployed; 11-tube missile launcher, mounted on right shoulder; beam gun, power rating unknown, mounted in torso; 6 x grenade launcher, optional fire-link, mounted on right forearm; heat knife, stored in recharge rack in right leg, hand-carried in use
Optional fixed armaments: 500mm cannon, mounted on backpack over right shoulder

After Akiko has her DT-6896 Leopard Daughtress is heavily damaged in a battle agianst Orcs trying to scavenge her latest find, she heads to land, and has her Daughtress Leopard remodelled by Jinichiro Morisato, a renown builder who does the custom work for most of the Vultures around Eastern Asia. What comes out is a unit much closer to the original GT-9600 Gundam Leopard. The right shoulder is swapped out, for the shield and missile pods of the original Leopard, along with a six barrel grenade launcher now added to the right forearm. A change from the Leopard though, is the vast number of rocket thrusters built into the legs which allowed for much greater mobility, on land. The Rockets could also be swapped out for water jet engines which allowed for quiet, and rapid under water movement, making it comperable to the Daughseat III, and Aqua Leopard units without the need for bulky option parts.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3518 ... lbuwq4.jpg

It was clear to me I needed to go the route of Gundam X for this topic, but what the hell I'll throw in a Leo too! :D

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6528 ... ypeiy0.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2262 ... ctype1.jpg

Model number: EA-06TST
Code name: Leo Tallgeese Spec Type (Leo TST)
Unit type: mobile suit
Manufacturer: OZ (Organization of Zodiac); Earth Alliance
Operator(s): OZ
Rollout: AC 175
First deployment: AC 175
Accommodation: pilot only, in standard cockpit in torso
Dimensions: head height 16.2 meters
Weight: empty 7.0 metric tons; max gross 10.2 metric tons
Construction: gundanium alloy/titanium alloy
Powerplant: ultracompact fusion reactor, output rated at 1476 kW
Propulsion: Super Vernier thrusters: 2 x 20000 kg, 2 x 2000
Performance: maximum thruster acceleration 4.31G
Equipment and design features: sensors, range unknown
Fixed armaments: 2 x beam saber, stored in recharge racks in shield, hand-carried in use; shield, mounted on left shoulder
Optional hand armaments: 105mm rifle, drum-fed, 100 rounds per drum; beam rifle, 20 round charge; "shorty" beam rifle, 20 round charge; bazooka; dober gun, clip-fed

After the rediscovery of the Tallgeese at the colony L5-A0206 the Earth Alliance began research into building a mass production variant. The Leo which had been in service for 19 years was beginning to show signs of it's age and thus the EA set out independent of OZ to build a replacement. Using the highly successful Leo as a base, new thrusters based on the Tallgeese's Super Vernier's were attached to the shoulders of the mobile suit on a quick pivot system. This allowed for nearly the same mobility with a lower fuel consumption cost. One of the other key features was the inclusion of the Tragos legs which housed two jet engines, these engines would allow for much greater speed inside Earth's atmosphere with a lower fuel consumption cost over standard rocket motors.

The shoulder shield, long since an optional peice of equipment, was made a permanent fixture to the mobile suit allowing for the addition of two fixed beam sabers. In order to account for the beam sabers the chest of the Leo was heavily modified to include a new larger nuclear reactor, This meant adding a new cockpit block, which featured heavier armor thanks to the use of Gundanium in limited quantity. In addition, the Leo TST was given new chest vents to allow for much faster cooling, this reduced the overheat problems some of the older Leo's were experiencing when equipped with beam weapons. In the end, however, the Alliance Development team abandon the project after learning of the OZ-12SMS Taurus, as it was deemed far superior to the Leo TST.
"I'M THE CRIMSON LIGHTNING DAMNIT!" - Johnny Ridden
tehprognoob

No tracing, but is drawing the first draft on paper, editing it (and leaving a huge mess) and then tracing the final version onto a blank paper allowed?
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force