Ep. 045 - Legend of Gundamn Heroes!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 045 - Legend of Gundamn Heroes!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 045 - "Legend of Gundamn Heroes!"
64 kbps - 130 min., 11 sec. (2:10:11) - 59.6 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:19:22

03. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:19:22 - 0:19:57

04. 1st Segment: "Anime Spotlight - Legend of Galactic Heroes: Movie, Seasons 1 & 2" (OVA Series)
Runtime: 0:19:57 - 1:08:21

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:08:21 - 1:09:15

06. 2nd Segment: "Anime Spotlight - Legend of Galactic Heroes: Seasons 3 & 4" (OVA Series)
Runtime: 1:09:15 - 2:03:12

03. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 2:03:12 - 2:03:48

08. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:03:48 - 2:10:11

The First Episode of the New Year kicks off in style as we delve into the Epic OVA Space Opera, "Legend of the Galactic Heroes"!

Enjoy & Thanks for Listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Unpopular Kulture

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Amuro Ray of v

Re: Ep. 045 - Legend of Gundamn Heroes!

Thank you for talking about Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I just got into this serise a few weeks ago. Thank you.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
wielder

This was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting you guys to get through the whole thing in one episode but hey, that's not exactly a bad thing. :wink: On the contrary, it was a good way to bring back a lot of memories about this wonderful series.

I'm glad you've all liked the show, but Soul Bro really needs to find the time to start watching it...preferably avoiding the episode previews too. Having a general idea of what's going to happen from beginning to end thanks to this podcast talk is one thing, but some of those previews were extremely unsubtle and pretty much jump the gun without any warning.

I think LOGH is such an exceptional product because it was perfectly suited to the OVA format. If it had been a TV series the funding probably wouldn't be there and who knows what would have been compromised during the adaptation process. Apparently this only got made through some sort of direct subscription model, the fans were literally responsible for more episodes being made, which is something that doesn't tend to happen too often...much less successfully.

In fact, it's definitely too bad that the one and only attempt to bring this over to the Western market never got off the ground because the company was probably asking for too much and not enough fans expressed interest in making such an expensive commitment. I don't think I would have been able to participate at the time either, but hopefully a more feasible proposal comes up at some point in the far future.

Leaving all that aside, one of the very few areas where the story could have tried to go a little more in-depth was the Earth cult. Their top leadership seemed to lack personality. Yes, I know there are plenty of insane fanatics in real life, that's fine, but other than showing how they kept their members in line through drugs you don't really get a sense of how the organization was created in the first place, aside from some brief historical footnotes. Needless to say, religions can be just as interesting as political factions, fictional and otherwise. Still, the complexity of the Empire, the Alliance and to a lesser extent even Phezzan more than made up for this so that's more of an observation than a complaint.

Speaking of which, Rubinsky wasn't quite as bad as Truniht but he also seemed to get on my nerves from time to time. Blowing up a bunch of stuff to mark your death might be flashy but it doesn't change the fact that the final outcome of his many power plays was little to nothing. He brought about plenty of havoc but his name is going to fall into obscurity anyway. I guess that was just one last display for the sake of his ego.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
UC fan

I made a post about the Zeon academy, and here are one of the reactions I quote, "Zeke bishonen..."
phillosmaster

Thanks for doing a show on LOGH. I've been interested in the series for years, but have been intimidated by it's length and the difficulty in obtaining the episodes. It's nice to hear that it's a quality series and worth the effort.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
jabman025

Hello gang

its Jabman025 otherwise known as Soul Bro's buddy Jeff

Anyway great show as always, I have yet to see Legend of the Galactic heros but it does sound interesting. One of the great things about the Gundamn podcast is that it introduces new shows to mecha fans like me. Keep up the good work!
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Hyakushiki

Great show guys, from what Chris said about Yang and Frederica's relationship you could say they're the Nick and Nora Charles of anime LOL!
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Great job guys yet again. Makes me want to watch the show now!! Seems really EPIC!!

On a side note: Now that all of you have watched Soukyuu no Fafner Dead Agressor, you shall talk about it!! It's one of my favorite show.

BTW: Invite me!! (even know that I'm french and that my english is sometime horrible, I want to talk about that show with you guys!!)
I'm just kidding... but I'm kinda not...
XD (well... that's actually my name Xavier Dumoulin, XD)
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

I would encourage LOGH to anyone, it has something for everyone.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
CanadaMan

hawk of endymion wrote:I would encourage LOGH to anyone, it has something for everyone.
Is it available in North America? (or more specifically Canada I suppose, but I'll settle for NA)
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Black Knight

CanadaMan wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:I would encourage LOGH to anyone, it has something for everyone.
Is it available in North America? (or more specifically Canada I suppose, but I'll settle for NA)
Not in an official release, no, and that is unlikely to ever change.
Mu La Flaga

Never heard of this one.
I wonder if it's something comparable to Heroic Age?

Also despite only having 2 segments.
One small highlight was the bashing of those hackers who hacked MAHQ.
Black Knight

LoGH is rather hard to compare with anything. In length, the main-line series is really only comparable with some fighting-style anime such as DB/DBZ/DBGT, Bleach, Pokemon, etc, but in total number of episodes it really only hits the level of those shows when including the Gaiden. But content-wise, LoGH has more in common with something like the American live-action Sci-Fi series Babylon 5, with the convoluted politics, things which at first glance seem like dangling threads but actually turn out to be part of larger "myth arcs"...LoGH, like B5, was fairly-well planned out as a whole piece, rather than a show which was endlessly extended. One of the advantages of having been transferred to anime from the medium of novels. It's classic space opera.

While I agree with the general assessment earlier that LoGH has something for everyone, the one thing it definitely lacks is a lot of hot-blooded action. This is a character and story-driven show without a lot of traditional action sequences.
hotlimit

Another great episode, too bad Soul Bro hasn't seen the show yet! You guys got him all excited about that Yang character and then said he died in Season 3. I've seen a few things like that before, and they truly are epic.

I can't wait for your themed episodes, good luck this year!
yazi88

My god, this episode was truly magnificent, the Gundamn! (well atleast 2/3's of them) crew really went all out in terms of discussing a show. Now I'm watching LOGHs and am probably going to be sleep deprived for the next week or so but its damn well worth it. Right now I already saw the Movie conquest and am about halfway done with season 1 but I got a question: which of the side story or rather GAIDEN OVAs actually feature Yang during historical feat involving El Facil?
Black Knight

yazi88 wrote:I got a question: which of the side story or rather GAIDEN OVAs actually feature Yang during historical feat involving El Facil?
Spiral Labyrinth is what you're looking for. It starts with El Facile, but that arc is only the first couple episodes of that series.
Momaru

I'm glad to see you guys reviewed this series! It's one of my favorites. I cannot recommend this show enough to people that are looking for a show that has a ton of substance and is more intellectual than the anime norm. Truly it is a classic. However, I wouldn't recommend LOGH to people that don't like overall slow or long shows. LOGH is a lot like a large classic novel. It may seem cumbersome and perhaps antiquated at first, but you'll be drawn in and hooked before you know it.

It is true that the show doesn't have many traditional action sequences, but the shows gigantic fleet battles more than make up for that. When action sequences do happen though, they make up for their scarcity by being intense and quite graphic. It's to Hellsing level of gore in some cases. LOGH is more driven by drama than action in any case. Speaking of, the characters in this show are top notch. I'll guarantee that you'll like most if not all of the main cast. Except for some certain characters like Rubinski and Oberstein that you'll just love to hate. I'll probably post more comments when I listen to the episode since...I kinda wanted to be in on this episode in some way.
EDIT 1/28
After listening to the episode, there are actually surprisingly few things I found weren't discussed. One thing that was briefly touched on was the voice actors in the show. LOGH can be said to contain the who's who of voice actors mostly because of the large amount of characters. Chris forgot to mention Yoshiko Sakakibara AKA Haman Karn in particular. It would of been nice if you had gone a little more into the characters as they are all awesome. Poplin, Von Schönkopf , Reuenthal, and Mittermeyer were hardly mentioned and probably deserve a bit more time. Also I really liked Soul Bro's comment when he heard what happens to Yang. That was basically my reaction too but mine involved much more cursing. I was royally pissed for the rest of the day after watching this episode. Truly only a heartless jerk could not feel anything for the characters in this show. LOGH can be a real tearjerker. Finally, I think I should mention that Merkatz looks exactly like Charles Bronson. He may be old, but the guy is tough as nails.
Last edited by Momaru on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

We will be doing the Gaiden OVAs in the future, I don't know when, but we will.

In terms of obtaining the series, I'll only say its available. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

LOGH was one of the most compelling, thrilling, and interesting series I've ever watched, live action/animated/etc.

It only seems long, when you haven't started watching. Once you begin, the last thing you will worry about is its length.

I give LOGH the Neo Salute, which is given rarely.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Amuro Ray of v

Great epic podcast guys. I got into the show after I wiki it and after what it said, it seem like Star Wars to me. But then I also realized that the show was still different, hearing you talk about the show makes it sounds a bit like a "Folk Tale" in a way, these characters seem very good for the show that they were in, I personally l like a show that takes its time to tell its story, and the fact that you get a fairly good stream of main character deaths makes you care more for everyone, makes you wonder who is next. As Soul Bro was in the background feeling the way that some of us feel, like when Yang Wen-li dying the way he did, Soul Bro was so piss at that.

About Yang Wen-li, he seems like the kind of guy we would see all the time and the way acts, being the most lasy man on duty; yet waging war on a galactic scale, seems like a guy I would like to chat with. one thing, even if I know he is useful, the way he died is lame, could we call him Soul Bro's Man?

All in all great pod, keep up the good work.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
phillosmaster

So I managed to get "My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars" and the first episode of the series last night. I turned it on just to see how it opened, and couldn't stop watching it. I watched through the entire first movie and the first episode of the series, and wanted more last night. It's really good. A definite recommend to anyone who likes scifi anime. At no point was the movie boring, and it just left you wanting more. It's strange that the movie worked so well considering it really gives you little explanation as to who these people are and what is going on. It ended as abruptly as it began, and it just made you want to find out more about the universe.

Thanks for finally pushing me over the edge to go out and watch LOGH. Great podcast guys.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.