Armored Core V

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Toxicity

Armored Core V

A trailer's been leaked and there's a new site up as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw8SlROv3Ng
http://www.armoredcore.net/ac5/
Last edited by Toxicity on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeonFloyd

Re: Armored Core 5 announced.

From the looks of it this will either be a direct sequel to the 4-series just as AC2 was to AC1 or possibly... This is an entirely new saga.

I'm hoping this signifies they've finally implemented a solid melee engine.

I'll miss Quickboost if they've removed it though.
Nothing like beats the smell of instant gratification of acceleration in the morning.
VR7

Supposedly there'll be more info (and probably a full trailer) this coming Thursday.

I like that when a new Armored Core is announced, the majority of people beg From Software to make another game in the same vein as Last Raven. However, based on the reception of From Software's recent titles like Demon's Souls and Ninja Blade, it's clear From Software is switching gears. It'd be funny if they even thought about following the same design principles as ACLR.

What they should do at the very least, however, is capture the feeling of being in the opening cutscenes of prior Armored Cores. Anyone who's played an Armored Core game knows that the cutscenes always look better than the actual gameplay, regardless of how well the game plays.

Also, bring back first person view.
-noel
Turinu

Ah... a new Armored Core. I've always wanted them to implement a kind of overworld style to Armored Core, where you can walk around as a person or in your AC to pick up missions or visit the shop. Sure it's pointless, but I've always wanted to put an actual face and voice to my pilot. :<

Nonetheless, I'm ecstatic it's coming out in 2010 (I assume the 1/14 on the website pertains to more information), though I pray there is not as much delay getting it to the states like it was for Armored Core: For Answer.
DeltasTaii

Isn't Demon's Souls to RPGs practically what Last Raven (or to be honest, any game in the series) is to eastern mech games? If anything the feedback seems like it would be "feel free to make this ridiculously hard". Which somehow implies Occupation of Arteria Carpals on Hard isn't.
VR7

There is a difference between actual difficulty and fake difficulty. A game that is difficult does not exist to frustrate and annoy the player--it seeks to test the player through difficult, albeit rewarding and possible challenges. Fake difficulty implies that the developer just didn't care, and resorted to tedious game design that they probably did not test themselves. Demon's Souls was meant to be a difficult, albeit fun and rewarding game--one that, with some practice, any player can get through. This can be argued for for a lot of great games, including the Devil May Cry games, Castlevania, etc.. And in terms of mech games, the MechWarrior 2 era, and the Heavy Gear games. I loved Heavy Gear 2.

Last Raven, on the other hand, is not a truly hard game--it's just a mediocre attempt at a difficult game.

I like AC4 and ACfA. They're different from traditional Armored Core, but they are fun to play. Prior to that, I played a bunch of Armored Core games--all the PS1 titles, Armored Core 3, Nexus, Ninebreaker, Formula Front and Last Raven--off the top of my head. Of all the titles, Last Raven was the only title that was completely disappointing. Sure, with excruciating amounts of patience and time, one can practice and get better at the game, but even then it is very tedious to get through, and leaves only a bitter taste when you're done. What I found interesting was that somehow, AC:LR turned out to be a wet dream to tournament level players, but it alienates just about everyone else. It doesn't help that the AC community had, (and probably still does) a very negative attitude towards new blood.

On top of that, there was no real netplay for AC:LR, so the only way was to find actual friends or play via X-Link. Chances are the only people you'd get are anyone from an AC community, like (the now defunct) Armored Core Online, who probably would not even want to talk with you because of how terrible they perceive you to be at the game.

AC4 and ACfA were disappointments to a lot of people. The general consensus, however, was that it was not only too different from older Armored Core games, but it was "too easy". If you found the Occupation of Arteria Carpals too difficult, this probably comes as a complete surprise to you, because I didn't find it that hard at all. In fact, ACfA is relatively easy, compared to AC4. Even then, AC4 is about as difficult as any other decent Armored Core game. Ideally, the perfect Armored Core game would be one that retains the difficulty and complexity of earlier Armored Core games, while at the same time making it exciting and interesting enough to attract players of varying skill levels. While AC4 and ACfA attempted this, it seems to only annoy (and alienate) the more experienced Armored Core players, who would rather clamor for a game that follows the exact same philosophy as AC:LR--intense difficulty, high learning curve, and a filter for weeding out newer or mainstream audiences from the playing field.

The fan base for the Armored Core series has always been tiny compared to other game franchises, but all Last Raven really did was symbolize everything that was wrong with the Armored Core games and its community. If this is what they think sells, then From Software catering to them is still a random possibility.

TL;DR - The point I tried to make is it would be a complete disappointment if From Software didn't learn from their mistakes in AC:LR. The generally positive reception of their most recent games, like Demon's Souls and Ninja Blade, implies that they have at least learned something, and are at the very least competent and experienced game developers.
-noel
blind_dead_mcjones

one thing i would like to see would be an improvement to the actual story, or how the player immersed in it, one of the things i liked about armored core 2 in particular was that i felt like i was part of the plot, as opposed to the later games where i felt detached from it, giving the player character an actual face and possibly motivations and goals for being a pilot would help as well.
Flag Fighter for life!
Outlaw

As long as they don't bring back heat management I'm happy. Personally, I hated "output down" with a burning passion brighter than a thousand suns. Hopefully we learn more in a few days.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
quasadra

last time its an angel, now its a demon. hope they expand on the transformation thing. last time was a bit disappointed.

lastly i hope this time wont be so hard to secure a copy as last time did.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
DeltasTaii

To be honest, I never had the patience to slog through the ORCA route again to get to the last mission, so I can't compare it to AC4's Berlioz gauntlet. The "normal" missions did seem harder in AC4 though, but the enemy NEXTs seemed relatively poorly designed and thus less threatening.

Demon's Souls seems easier to me than either on Hard though.
Toxicity

http://kotaku.com/5446958/first-look-at ... 5/gallery/

Found some magazine scans. The site also says that the mecha are going to be scaled down from 10 meters in height to 5 meters, which was the typical size of the old style ACs, right? If so, then maybe this is a sign that we're going back into underground cities for this game.
DeltasTaii

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/0 ... _detailed/
http://www.famitsu.com/image/6004/BKe9v ... 54ieY.html
I'm actually a bit perturbed about that shrinking, since a) We have a thousand video games with non-giant...things (yeah, 15' isn't exactly tiny, I know), and b) 5m robots are so cockpit dominated it seems like it could really hurt the customization aesthetic. There are only so many ways to do a torso on mecha that small. You pretty much either get beer bellies like VOTOMs or giant humps like Code Geass. Having more than just aerial QB-fests and such is generally good, but there's a point at which you just start being the same thing as some shooters.

The poster Core is downright bizarre anyways, holy back weapons Batman.
Turinu

Armored Core has done it before (In terms of cockpit placement in such a small mech); I don't see how they can't do it again.
Toxicity

The added stage detail is one of the reasons that that the scale of the AC units is changing. Past AC games had mechs of about 10 meters height. For AC5, the mechs will be around 5 meters.
Okay, so ACs were always 10 meters in both the old and new style. There still hasn't been much mention of what the setting of the game is gonna be like, has there? this easily could be an underground city, but it looks like its raining in the pic. I suppose we'll just have to keep being patient. Who knows how much information is going to be released tomorrow when the site opens.
blind_dead_mcjones

Toxicity wrote:http://kotaku.com/5446958/first-look-at ... 5/gallery/

Found some magazine scans. The site also says that the mecha are going to be scaled down from 10 meters in height to 5 meters, which was the typical size of the old style ACs, right? If so, then maybe this is a sign that we're going back into underground cities for this game.
or maybe its a sign that technology in series has advanced so far that they actually reduce the size of the unit without compromising performance, after all from F91 onwards mobile suits reduced in height as they got more advanced did they not?
Flag Fighter for life!
Outlaw

OK, the sites open and.... it looks like there's an ad for an artbook, at least that's what I'm getting out of it. I'd say buzzkill but there really wasn't enough time to build up a buzz. Well, back to waiting.
Though I wouldn't mind having that artbook.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Toxicity

The AC5 site's been updated, if you can call it that. All that's been added is a new tab on the side just like the one with the link to the artbook that says SCREENSHOT and has another date. Maybe they'll actually tell us something on the 18th?
quasadra

a typical announcement of an announcement...
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Toxicity

The official site has been updated, and a trailer is now available for download.

http://armoredcore.net/ac5/
blind_dead_mcjones

commenting on the mech design, i'm quite digging the stocky scopedog-ish appearnce/stance of the ac in the trailer, also, superheated chainsaw wing that can take the pseudo form of a drill.

DO. WANT.
Last edited by blind_dead_mcjones on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flag Fighter for life!