Ep. 044 - Dy-no-mite!!!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 044 - Dy-no-mite!!!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 044 - "Dy-no-mite!!!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 145 min., 12 sec. (2:25:12) - 66.5 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:14:37

03. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:14:37 - 0:15:12

04. 1st Segment: "Macross Round-up - Macross 7: The Galaxy's Calling Me! (Movie), Macross 7 Encore (OVA), Macross 7 Plus (OVA), Macross Dynamite 7 (OVA)"
Runtime: 0:15:12 - 0:55:56

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:55:56 - 0:56:44

06. 2nd Segment "What Would You Change in Gundam? - The Third Decade"
Runtime: 0:56:44 - 1:41:32

07. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:41:32 - 1:43:02

08. 3rd Segment: "Macross Round-up - Macross Zero"
Runtime: 1:43:02 - 2:18:00

09. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 2:18:00 - 2:18:35

10. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:18:35 - 2:25:12

The Last Show of 2009 is here!!! This episode comes jam packed with a double dose of Macross Round-up, closing out our series of reviews for Macross 7 & Macross Zero! Sandwiched in-between is also the final part of our discussion of what we would change in Gundam, covering the series and OVAs of the past decade!

Many thanks for another stellar year, listeners and may your new one be incredible!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Unpopular Kulture

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
UC fan

Re: Ep. 044 - Dy-no-mite!!!

Is there something I didn't do? Do I have to sign up or something because whenever I try to play this it only lets the first part then only some garbled parts of the second part then it stops.
Soul Bro Ryu

UC fan wrote:Is there something I didn't do? Do I have to sign up or something because whenever I try to play this it only lets the first part then only some garbled parts of the second part then it stops.
I'm not sure which way you're downloading it, but try right-clicking on this link below and saving:

Ep. 044 - Dy-no-mite!!!

Hope this works ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
UC fan

It still doing it, I don't know what's wrong.
Soul Bro Ryu

UC fan wrote:It still doing it, I don't know what's wrong.
Try restarting or trying another browser. Your temp folder might be on strike :P
Soul Bro Ryu
UC fan

Thanks I'll try. :D
TakaTahuNuva

UC Fan - the same thing also happens to me when I use Windows Media Player. Instead, try listening in Quicktime or Media Player Classic. ^_^
ohhhh snap
UC fan

Thanks Guys!
Mu La Flaga

Or another alternative Winamp, which also can handle these types also.

EDIT: At 104:05 or so Chris during the gets a slight sound glitch not sure what caused that.
Also at 114:45 and 115:20 there were some more of them.

Was Chris getting any bad weather on his end?
Battosai28

Thanks guys, great Ep! I've disappeared for some time, but hopefully I'm back to being the dedicated fan that I once was. I'm actually just now recovering from the fact that my friend invited me to a Gundam countdown event and I turned him down. As it turns out, he was taken back stage and got to meet all of the 00 voice actors and animators (He works for the director and was his driver/translator at a convention in California last year). Talk about a missed opportunity....
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
skyknight

Hoped everyone had a good holiday break coming in to the new year and the dawn of the next decade.

Well, I only watched Macross 7 in the TV-series, as the later films and OVA weren't shown while I was Taiwan, and I later moved back to the US, so I won't comment on the 7 sequels.

On the third decade of Gundam:
I did like SEED a little, as there were some good elements that I thought later mecha anime series should've take note of, such as the question of "why we fight?" (Hey, Code Geass R2 take note of that!) And the issue of human evolution vs advancement. I'll confess here that my bros and I did called Flay Alstar a teenage-drama-queen-slut, but given in the situation that she faced, I was a bit more forgiving years after.

But for the majority of the show, I agree with you guys on the crappy first-half and over-usage of flashbacks; the show could've been much better, and very unfortunately the producers didn't take note of this when doing Destiny.

Ah, Destiny, the WTF?, or that disgusting, stereotype, inbred distant relative you don't want to know. Just blow it up and start up from scratch! That series had nothing good, though some argue the first Shin vs Kira battle was a good one, because Shin had to worked with Rey to counter Kira's tactics, but duh, that means Kira is a crappy fighter for following a pattern of fighting, instead of adapting to the situation/opponents. Just say WTF for this series!

Stargazer, for the first and maybe a part of the second ep, was a needed change from Destiny, would be interesting if the series could extend beyond the 3 15-minute clips.

IGLOO, well, was wondering if the folks at Bandai or Sunrise had too many German beers?

00 series, I'll be honest and say that was the redemption for what the SEED series did to the name "Gundam," not as good as Zeta and Victory or, IMO, X and Turn-A. But a good series nevertheless, and I'll wait to see what's in store for us with the movie later this year! After watching film, I will give the final impression on the 00 series.

I'll be back for Macross Zero later.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Mu La Flaga

Forgot to comment on the other Gundam part of this episode.
SEED Destiny as I said before needs a re-write from 36 or so before things go mostly downhill after Shinn beats Kira in the Impulse vs Freedom fight.
wielder

Just in time. I was wondering if you would be able to release another episode before the year's end. :wink:

I'd say both SEED and 00 have pretty much been discussed to death at this point, both here and elsewhere, so there's relatively little to add to what was said on the show. As for MS Igloo, I think the lack of a properly balanced Federation angle for the second series does present a bit of a problem, but I also understand that perhaps the creative team wanted to experiment a bit, even going a little too far, instead of taking the easy way out. While I give them credit for trying to be creative, I wasn't a big fan of all the added mysticism either and a more focused narrative would have been interesting to see.

I might as well give Macross Zero another chance at some point in the future. What little of it I saw as the show was being released didn't really interest me much and the much talked about links to Frontier serve as something of an additional incentive in retrospect. I won't expect much though.
skyknight wrote: Well, I only watched Macross 7 in the TV-series, as the later films and OVA weren't shown while I was Taiwan, and I later moved back to the US, so I won't comment on the 7 sequels.
I'm in a roughly similar position, except that I didn't even get to see that much of Macross 7 to begin with.
(Hey, Code Geass R2 take note of that!)
Let's stop there for a second. The answer to that question was crystal clear for pretty much all of the original series and about 75% of R2, so if anything you'd have to narrow it down. Things do get confusing after one of the final twists, yes, but there was also a retroactive answer, at least from the protagonist's perspective. Not quite something I'd label as an issue affecting the majority of the show, in all fairness, unless you're thinking of something else entirely.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Vent Noir

One thing I'd like to see changed in Gundam in general during the 00s... better treatment of the female characters. Thinking back, it seems as though it's regressed in the past decade.

I've said before that I think Tomino's portrayal of women is quite good, and even most of the 90s series had some decent female characters (Rain, Allenby, Noin, and others). I've ranted about the Soma/Marie thing to the point where I figure people are probably sick of it, and mentioned that I had a problem with the female characters in 00 in general. That applies to Destiny, too. Original Seed did better, but still not as well as I liked (my friend complained about the portrayal of Cagalli in Seed - I told him to be thankful he hadn't seen Destiny).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
jabman025

Thanks a lot guys great episode, and a special thanks to Soul Bro for getting that episode out before I had to go on my road trip. It made driving around in 3 degree wind-chill somewhat bearable.

Anyway on to my soapbox
Now I'm going to defend Destiny here (yeah I know I am pretty lonely on this one) but I thought it was a good series.

Now as for why the focus of the series was take on off Shin, it because he was a moron, his actions never made any sense. He always acted without thinking and his logic behind the Orb attack that killed his family and his actions during the massacre at Berlin was flat out stupid. I don't mind a flawed character but man, who decided it would be a good idea to give that guy a billion dollar mobile suit.

I will say that the redesigns for the freedom and justice left something to be desire but I personally liked the Justice with the beam sabers everywhere attack.

Oh and as for the flawless victory, I don’t think it was as flawless as you give it credit for. Kira and his pals basically overthrough a government and a nation. I seriously doubt that will go over well with everyone. Hopefully something that will be explored in the Seed movie (if it ever comes out)

I really liked 00 but I have one thing to add to what the guys said, I would have liked to see the passage of time in that series developed a little better. I always felt things were happening way to fast in the first and second season despite the fact that they both took place over the course of a year.

ok I’ll get of my soapbox now
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
vindKtiv

Oh and as for the flawless victory, I don’t think it was as flawless as you give it credit for. Kira and his pals basically overthrough a government and a nation. I seriously doubt that will go over well with everyone. Hopefully something that will be explored in the Seed movie (if it ever comes out)
I think the word "flawless" pertained to damage, rather than results. I watched Destiny like a year ago and don't plan to anytime soon (though I finished Seed again recently), but I must agree the flawless victory definitely needed changing. The first Seed was much more realistic casualty-wise, where more important characters like Mu, the Astray pilots, and Flay died. I'm not too big on the clone concept you guys brought up, but I definitely agree that the way in which Mu was included needs to be changed.
Now as for why the focus of the series was take on off Shin, it because he was a moron, his actions never made any sense. He always acted without thinking and his logic behind the Orb attack that killed his family and his actions during the massacre at Berlin was flat out stupid. I don't mind a flawed character but man, who decided it would be a good idea to give that guy a billion dollar mobile suit.
I agree about Shinn being a detrimentally unpredictable character, but I definitely think they could have done a better job with Shinn than completely shift the focus from him to robot Kira. I definitely think Shinn should have been slapped around more though, especially by Cagalli, after Shinn's rant about Orb's ideology.

I think they pretty much ruined every single character in the span of 50 episodes. Everything that they got right in Seed and during Seed Destiny they managed to mar heavily by the conclusion of Destiny. I'm trying to think of one memorable character, and I just can't. Stella was pretty memorable until they completely dumped the concept and brush it aside with like an amnesiac. Cagalli (one of my personal favorite character in Seed for her uniqueness) was pretty much demoted to one of the most annoying characters ever. Mu, a character whose heroic death was pretty much perfect, was unrealistically revived and shoved aside to obscurity.

Okay, end long rant.

The series was an okay series and I would definitely suggest watching it at least once, just because it gives some closure to Gundam Seed. The Gundams might not have every little detail changed, but I did not notice too much similarities between the Freedom and Strike Freedom/Justice and Infinite Justice, especially during action scenes. In the end, the mediocrity of Destiny definitely ruined the great ending to Seed.
Mu La Flaga

On the flawless victory thing in SEED Destiny.
I have said before it wasn't quite like that in the episode for reviewing Destiny.
Actually Kira had 1-2 Strike Freedom's DRAGOONs destroyed during his firefight with Rey, I'm fairly certain of that.

To me personally SEED Destiny was good, not great, not bad, but good/average.
I mean fav designs to me were the Impulse, Destiny and Akatsuki along with a few grunt MSes like Murasames.
I also actually like the Exus Mobile Armor, was a sleeker deadlier version of the Moebius Zero from SEED.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote:On the flawless victory thing in SEED Destiny.
I have said before it wasn't quite like that in the episode for reviewing Destiny.
Actually Kira had 1-2 Strike Freedom's DRAGOONs destroyed during his firefight with Rey, I'm fairly certain of that.

Really?! A flawless victory was averted due a lost 1 or 2 bits, not buying it. For such a final, no holds barred fight, the "good guys" should've lost or had damaged more than a few accessories.

I'm not asking for a Tomino ending or anything, but come on.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

Well it was a near flawless, it's like getting 1 punch hit in a MK game :P
wonton bob

OOps. Happy B-day! Soul Bro! you old puppy. I'm still waiting for your spin-off show to start: 'Soul Bro and friends'
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great