Ep. 042 - Dedicated to All Future Pioneers

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 042 - Dedicated to All Future Pioneers

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 042 - "Dedicated to All Future Pioneers"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 94 min., 24 sec. (1:34:24) - 43.2 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:12:13

03. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:12:13 - 0:13:44

04. 1st Segment: "Macross Round-up - Macross Plus"
Runtime: 0:13:44 - 0:53:41

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:53:41 - 0:54:25

06. 2nd Segment "What Would You Change in Gundam? - The First Decade"
Runtime: 0:54:25 - 1:27:30

07. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:27:30 - 1:28:05

08. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:28:05 -

Before we lose you guys to the stampedes of Black Friday, here is a fresh new episode to enjoy with your Turkey & Pumpkin Pie! In this episode, we kick off the first of a 3-part discussion, tapping into our inner fanfic writers & talking about what we would change in Gundam series' past. Before that, however, next up on the docket for our Macross Round-up is none other than the action-packed OVA & Movie of "Macross Plus"!!!

BTW, MechaTalk.net's own Alex "Snoops619" Benson has just started his own ensemble podcast! He and his motley crew of fellow Englishmen - Scott Horne, Jordan Richards & Jack Maxfield - have come together to form the Unpopular Kulture podcast! Join their roundtable discussions about all different forms of media fandom: Anime, Video Games, TV, Movies, and much, much more! For more information, peep the links:

- Main Website: http://unpopularkulture.blogspot.com/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/UKcast
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SoulBroRyu#/gro ... 0665799676

Episode Two of is up and running! Check out UK and let Snoops know what you think of it! I enjoyed it, and I hope you guys will too!

Thanks for listening and for the feedback!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Unpopular Kulture

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
ZeroBusterXX

Re: Ep. 042 - Dedicated to All Future Pioneers

I saw this on iTunes earlier and I was shocked!

I haven't even gotten to episode 41 yet!
Areku

I know it's been a while since I've commented on Gundamn! (congratulations on the second anniversary, by the way), but gundamnit!, must you assault my already-strained sleep schedule? I mean, how am I supposed to sleep, knowing there is an un-listened-to episode with such enticing topics of discussion. You guys've really got this love-hate relationship thing down pat. :P

Ah look, it's done downloading... :)
Taekmkm

I'm just wondering, are you going to hit up on the side-shows like Super Dimensional Orguss and Southern Cross?
Chris
Administrator

Those shows don't have anything to do with Macross, so if we were to cover them, it'd be separately.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Saber

Is it possible that something is wrong with the server this episode is being hosted on? It is impossible to download the file, both on iTunes and using the direct link to the mp3 posted above. It's been like this for me for the entirely of the day now.

EDIT: Now it finally starts downloading.
Last edited by Saber on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoops619

Great show as always guys!
Finally, a macross that I've seen!
So, when I saw this on a shelf at a local "mom 'n' pop store" I dropped a brick. Finally, I could get to experience for myself what you guys were going on about. I bought the box set which had all four episodes and the compilation movie without a moments hesitation and made my way hastily home.
I was not disappointed.
From the get go I became absorbed in every aspect of it. From the Sharron Apple concert to the beautifully coreographed dogfights between the fantastic YF-19 and the ghosts. Everything about this show was seemingly done perfect.
The animation was top notch and the characters were just as good. It's a shame it was
only an OVA, even though that is probably why it looked so amazing. It's also a shame I can't seem to find my copy any more... :?

I think (for once) the lack of anime in the UK was beneficial and instrumental to my excitement of buying this title. If it had have been played on TV and made widely available, I'm not sure I'd be so excited.
And you were right Neo, it really really really makes me want to watch any other Macross show. Anything. Please Beez, Manga, Funimation anyone... licence please...

Oh, and I'm a 21 fan. Just 'cause I liked hot-blooded Isamu much more than boring Guld.

Thanks for the plug of my new show. I'm looking forward to doing more eps soon. I'd be honoured if we could someday do a crossover haha.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
CanadaMan

Neo, I think Bernie's Lament needs to stay so we can warn future generations about what not to do for a Gundam series.

Great ep guys, nice to see one so soon after 41! I too would have enjoyed seeing Sayla in CCA, or even have mention of their old friends considering that Mr. Audit Bureau Cameron Bloom was there.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Oh I know Bernie's Lament is going no where.

I don't think 0080 should be viewed in that way, outside of the bad music and Al's shorts its a pretty solid show.

Bernie's Lament should be an example to AMV creators of how one message can be misinterpreted into another.

Can't blame Sunrise for Bernie's Lament, just Soul Bro.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Vent Noir

Man, I need to rewatch Macross Plus (I have a huge to-watch pile as it is...)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Wingnut

Chris wrote:Whenever I see Hatsune Miku, I'm thinking of Sharon Apple.
MUWAHAHAHAHA!

You guys also forgot to mention Tigerbaum on the list of things in ZZ to get rid of.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
hotlimit

Thanks for another awesome episode guys! Stop making fun of Wings of Words.

I don't know about Char's Counterattack, for me that movie was all Amuro and Char. Sayla had been off the radar since the one scene in Zeta, so her absence didn't bother me at all. Gilbert's ghost chess FTW!

I still haven't been able to make it through those first 15 episodes of ZZ yet.
Areku

Another good episode, as usual. I honestly can't think of something significant to contribute to either topic that you didn't already bring up, other than to ask who here has not at some point mimicked Isamu's "Mah handz a fyetuhr"? Be honest...

To play a bit of catchup, I'd been considering watching SDF Macross for a long time, and your roundup of it in Episode 40 finally persuaded me to watch it. I know one of Gundamn!'s goals is to serve as that kick in the rear that gets people to watch some of the better mecha shows out there, and you guys succeeded yet again. I thoroughly enjoyed this show, and while I've already seen Frontier and Plus, SDF Macross has gotten me much more interested the the franchise (I've since watched Zero and am now started on Macross II).

So, like with Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, and many other shows before, I thank you, Gundamn!, for convincing me (and many others, no doubt) to try something new, something that I might not have ever taken the time to enjoy were it not for you. Well done!
Vent Noir

Will you be including the Macross 7 movie and OVAs in your next roundup, or are they going to be a seperate episode?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Vent Noir wrote:Will you be including the Macross 7 movie and OVAs in your next roundup, or are they going to be a seperate episode?

We will be doing Macross 7 the series as one roundup and the Macross 7 movie and OVAs
as another.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Some Kind of Robot

Great show (as always)
good to here some MF DOOM during break. nice touch
If it turns burns banks and rolls...
Amuro Ray of v

Great! Macross plus is here, I was watching the OVA on SYFY and with the podcast, It gave me a new look at the OVA as a whole, personally I like the OVA more than the movie but that’s just me, I guess it was for the fact that it was longer.

In the Gundam of the 80s, I have many that would have liked to see or changed but I would only one thing. The death of Hathaway Noa, to hell with that guy.

I notice that in this EP that Neo didn’t say Lelouch is dead, what heck? I always look forward to that.

Soul Bro mentioning my underwear was creepy, real creepy. To Neo, yes the “v” in my name is for the symbol of “NU”. I could have just written Nu, but I wanted the symbol more.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
VentZX

Amuro Ray of v wrote:Soul Bro mentioning my underwear was creepy, real creepy. To Neo, yes the “v” in my name is for the symbol of “NU”. I could have just written Nu, but I wanted the symbol more.
A funny aside, back when I was just starting into the vastness of the Gundam franchise, I played some good old Gundam Battle Assault, and lo and behold, Nu Gundam was in it. But i didn't know at the time because the announcer (who also pronounced Gundam as Gundamn;Soul Bro should use that sound clip if he hasn't already) insisted on calling the Nu Gundam "V Gundam." you can imagine my confusion when I discovered there was in fact a V Gundam, and that Amuro's v Gundam was pronounced Nu Gundam.
animalia

I could be wrong but I believe Sayla's voice actress was out of the country or otherwisew unavailable during Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack.
skyknight

Hoped everyone had a good Thanksgiving, I finished listening to this ep during the weekends.

On Macross Plus, I think I saw some materials on it when I was living in Taiwan, but never saw the series. Taiwan did crack down on bootlegs and counterfeits during the early 90's to appease Japan and other Western nations for entering the WTO and other business treaties. I'll talk a bit more on Macross 7.

Soul Bro, do you ever need the "money back guarantee" for any good series? I'm with you on most stuff and I don't need money back!

On the first decade of Gundam, can't say much, since I didn't finish MSG, and watched the second half of ZZ. But let's be sure for one thing, the creators and producers didn't expect Gundam to have a huge following, right? So, another angle to look at is what kept Gundam in the spotlight when other giant robos shows died off from the 70's to 80's?

Zeta is definitely one of my fav Gundam series, though I haven't finished Gundam Victory, and I wouldn't change much of the series, other than polishing some areas, such as telling more of Kai, Sayla, and bit more on Hayato. A little more on Amuro would bit nice, and his relationship with Belcheka (whatever her name is!) could be better explored (just one-sided or Amuro is his cold self?). The kids, WTF, why would Char take in a pair of kids to a space battleship where constant battles occur?

Advance of Zeta was a different look at the Titans, am I right? Was it a manga series, or just a collection of custom works of Zeta series MS?

CCA, for a 2-hour film, it was a nice way to end the eternal battle between Amuro and Char, and I agree it could be much better if this was expended into a 6-ep OVA or a short series. I am curious on how Char came out from the shadows to lead Neo-Zeon, what did he do during his absence time during ZZ? Would it be best if the High Nu-Gundam took on the Nightingdale in high definition?

0080, well I kinda like the synthesizer music theme that was used in the 2 battle sequences (arctic base and diversion attack in space), and it was featured in the DVD with an early 3D drawing of Alex. And I didn't know if this was mentioned 0080 was very accurate on NOT hearing voices in space. Bernie told Al the only way to communicate in space is only with radio wave, and the synthesizer piece was fast paced and did serve well in the space diversion attack. But I do agree the OP theme (music was good, but WTF with the art direction!?) and soundtrack wasn't up to bar. Would be good to know more about Chris and Alex, since they were the centerpiece of the series.

And guys please keep Code Geass from appearing "what would you change," its just asking the trolls to jump in on you!

Looking forward on the 2nd decade of Gundam!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100