Ep. 041 - Shipper's Delight!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
wielder

Re: Ep. 041 - Shipper's Delight!

Listening to Gundamn! has been a nice ride and hopefully the next two years will be just as fun. :wink:

I need to watch Macross II one of these days, for the sake of experiencing the entire Macross franchise, but in the meanwhile it doesn't seem like much of a loss. I suppose they can't all be hits, can they?

As far as relationships go, I'd say that Legend of the Galactic Heroes does have one of the top bromances in fiction, but Reinhard's creepy obsessions don't get in the way of the show. If anything, that actually serves to provide him more characterization, particularly further down the line. Not to mention that you do get a few decent couples at one point or another, even if most of them also have to deal with tragedy.

Anyway, the series as a whole is still excellent and thus I hope Neo keeps watching.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Red Comet90

NeoStar9 wrote:G-Saviour gets a lot of hate and sometimes it's warranted (however it still has one of the coolest Gundam scenes I think in regards to the fight on the actual colony mirror) but I agree that as a bad, bad, bad pairing. Bad acting all around made it even worse then I think it was originally meant to be as well. What's actually funny about that is that when she dies I don't recall him even batting an eye upon being told if he was ever told. I could actually picture him smiling about it to himself.
Mark didn't seem like the kind of guy who would smile about his ex girlfriend dying, but I doubt he cried over her. :lol:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Kaioshin Sama

Hmmm..so I'm not the only one who questions the near deification of Shoji Kawamori by certains fanboys. I think that piece of straight talk can be applied to a lot of things though. Just because somebody who worked on something good worked on something else doesn't mean it's going to be a masterpiece and vice versa. Sounds like basic logic and reasonings, but there seems to be a significant derth of that these days.

As much as I love almost everything about Gundam and can brush aside the majority of it's faults I have to agree that for the most part it has absolutely terrible romantic pairings and it's almost like the regular guys in Sunrise have no idea what a real romance is supposed to look or feel like. If I had to make a guess as to what the deal is it's that I'm pretty sure the branch is just chock full of science and brainy types who really couldn't care less about worrying about a romance, but who are forced by the old oversight to throw something in to appeal to shipping fanboys and so they just pick the ones that seem the most likely and offscreen their relationship building or just very quickly go through the necessary events to resolve their coupling.

Gundam 00 in particular struck me as them just clearly not really caring and wanting to get the shipping pairing business settled as quickly as possible for the key characters so that they could move on with the plot and resolution to all the threads. Also if I recall Mizushima himself said that he wouldn't be concerning himself or 00 with romance all that much. Frankly I think they made the best decision in that regard. It almost felt like the original Gundam where you just sort of see the relationships building and it's not really made a huge focus of for more time than is necessary to indicate that these people have a romantic interest in one another. A good example would be Mirai and Bright, which has already been mentioned.

That said I'm curious to see how it goes with Banagher and Mineva in that series that doesn't exist as it look like their relationship might be a larger part of the plot than romantic relationships are usually given in Gundam.

Oh and to Saji's credit he did go to get Louise a ring that he worked that pizza delivery job for in order to propose to her right before the hand incident so I think something was there pretty early on were we could see he was interested in her as well.
Vent Noir

Kaioshin Sama wrote: Gundam 00 in particular struck me as them just clearly not really caring and wanting to get the shipping pairing business settled as quickly as possible for the key characters so that they could move on with the plot and resolution to all the threads. Also if I recall Mizushima himself said that he wouldn't be concerning himself or 00 with romance all that much. Frankly I think they made the best decision in that regard. It almost felt like the original Gundam where you just sort of see the relationships building and it's not really made a huge focus of for more time than is necessary to indicate that these people have a romantic interest in one another.
On the contrary, I think it's symptomatic of 00's flaws - uninteresting main characters, and Mizushima being so wrapped up in Aeolia's big plan that he couldn't see his nose in front of his face.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Jack-O

The title is very misleading. I thought this episode was going to be about space ships in mecha :( . Still a good episode.
Not as good of a lurker as some but still quite good.
Kaioshin Sama

Vent Noir wrote:
Kaioshin Sama wrote: Gundam 00 in particular struck me as them just clearly not really caring and wanting to get the shipping pairing business settled as quickly as possible for the key characters so that they could move on with the plot and resolution to all the threads. Also if I recall Mizushima himself said that he wouldn't be concerning himself or 00 with romance all that much. Frankly I think they made the best decision in that regard. It almost felt like the original Gundam where you just sort of see the relationships building and it's not really made a huge focus of for more time than is necessary to indicate that these people have a romantic interest in one another.
On the contrary, I think it's symptomatic of 00's flaws - uninteresting main characters, and Mizushima being so wrapped up in Aeolia's big plan that he couldn't see his nose in front of his face.
Yes well I'm kind tired of discussing 00's flaws with people as if that's the only thing the show has going for it discussion wise. Seriously it's all that people seem to talk about when it comes to that show and I just kind of want to enjoy and discuss the show and Gundam at large and be able to mention something about it without people having to jump on it and turn the conversation in an "It sucks dude" direction all the time. I thought that of all places I was safe to do that here. :(
skyknight

SD Macross II - will skip that, and believed it or not, I never saw that one while I was living in Taiwan (did see parts of Macross/DYRL and whole TV series of SEVEN!!!). But I do agree with Neo (or Chris?), just because of one good work - it doesn't make a director great! Man, I couldn't go beyond ep.4 of Aquarion, even though it was official free on-line streaming!

Love and romance isn't an easy thing to discuss, heck, how many people you know are totally happy with all the relationships they had? At work, I do hear bitter separation from childhood sweethearts, high school love, college love, and office love (that can REALLY awkward!).

Gundam series didn't have much romance relations that I find interesting, and you guys covered much of it. Seriously, what is good about the whole SEED/Destiny? Its already bad that the storyline is crappy, but damn! They screwed up on romance. OK, I didn't get an answer last time on SEED Destiny - was there suppose to be a man-boy love between Gilbert and Rey, yeah, we all knew the glaring eyes in Rey when he saw Gil.

X definitely has the best couple in Garrod and Tifa, as the development wasn't easy, and thank god it wasn't at the end when they confess their feelings towards each other. Both of them were ready to face their destiny together when they head to moon base.

OK, in 00 in between Kati and Patrick, WHO WEARS THE PANTS!?

Soul Bro, I actually agree with you on Saji; yes, he's the wimp that many of us are, but ain't got the guts to admit it (anyone here wants to head out to the battlefield tomorrow morning?). I don't think all guys are born to be playa's, we all have to learn and listen to the ladies. Again, you have to compare the character backgrounds in 00, Saji and Louisse lost more through out the series than the Gundam meisters, and they do have to find their own paths.

I'll stop here, and Congrats to you guys for 2 years with the show, even though I was a late boomer here!

DID I hear Full Metal Panic! review in the future? As model kit review as well?
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Vent Noir

Kaioshin Sama wrote: Yes well I'm kind tired of discussing 00's flaws with people as if that's the only thing the show has going for it discussion wise. Seriously it's all that people seem to talk about when it comes to that show and I just kind of want to enjoy and discuss the show and Gundam at large and be able to mention something about it without people having to jump on it and turn the conversation in an "It sucks dude" direction all the time. I thought that of all places I was safe to do that here. :(
I don't think 00 "sucks", although I do personally dislike it a lot (not the same thing). But from my side of the fence, I seem to see people gushing with praise for it all the time (maybe things are different on the boards you frequent - if you're referring to 4chan, I don't go there), and that to me seems just as unwarranted.

Anyway, I'll try and get back on topic: Another Macross II reference in frontier - could Klan Klein's Pixie Squadron be a reference to Fairy Squadron?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
ShadowCell

Christ, where do you guys go? I thought the chorus here had run off everybody who had a less than worshipful opinion of Gundam 00.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Chris wrote:
Seraphic wrote:Hello, gentlemen.

Sorry for the delay, but I have a gift for you.
I have to say, in the midst of a long and stressful day of work, this totally made my day.
=)

I don't know if it's possible to hear a greater compliment than that. It's the most I can do with these weird little doodles--to do some good for the weary and brighten their day. And the Big Cheese of all people. =p

I didn't understand the dynamic with Lalah in MSG very well, but maybe that's because I've only seen the series piecewise and the 3 movies. Her swan gown in CCA makes her look like a handkerchief caught on a breeze, so my friend and I often refer to her as 'the napkin.' "It's the napkin!!" I didn't really see much in Lalah until I saw this picture. I believe this was drawn by one of my favorite artists, Koichi Mugitani, who is one of the designers for Xenosaga. It's just a really cool picture, and it's nice to see some insight into what she and Char were about.

I'll agree that Saji deserves at least some level of recognition, but I personally condemn him for the way he handled Louise when they reunited. I mean, instead of trying to listen to her or understand her pain and hardship in losing her family and killing all those people, he just ignores all of it and forces her to pretend it all doesn't happen. Instead of understanding her or supporting her as she was, he just forces the past upon her. That wasn't very cool with me.

And I CAN'T BELIEVE all of us forgot this! Zone of the Enders: Idolo!! It's one of my absolute favorite movies, and it's particularly strong because of Dolores and Radium. It's wonderful to see how vulnerable Radium is when he opens up to her and to see how much she loves and supports him. It's quite beautiful, I think. I'm also a fan of Idolo because the romance isn't between some dumb teenagers or people with awkward social problems, and you grow really attached to them in a short 50 minutes. Man, it made the ending so intense. Dolores,i was also interesting for a lot of the same reasons, and the Links family had a really nice dynamic. I think ZOE is probably the strongest example of love and romance in mecha anime. It's just so well done.

(By the way, Chris, you can make use of this if you want: http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12310)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

NeoStar9 wrote:Another good show. Thanks guys.

I'm surprised in the relationship section one couple, for the good example of a relationship, wasn't mentioned. Have any of you seen Rahxephon? I would have nominated Ayato Kamina and Haruka Shitow. Thought their relationship was pretty good from start to finish.
Oh, Rahxephon, can't wait to talk about that show. That relationship was OK, nothing that special from what I can remember.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Amuro Ray of v

Good show guys, I was looking forward to this since you guys talked about Macross II, the first Macross that I have seen. Like Chris, I missed Robotech and I was exposed to Macross more, this being my first. Overall this was ok, I liked the music and I did like the Valkyries, but I do think the Japanese Verison is better; the dub is done pretty bad. But I think it’s something to watch, but not all the time.

On Kou Uraki and Nina Purpleton, I do think this is a very bad relationship, maybe the worst, but for some reason I like this thing for the fact that it reminded of some friends that I know in school that acted like Kou and Nina. I am not going to comment on SBR’s man and his girl.
On the whole Seed and Destiny thing, of you guys notice anyone who was a Coordinator that got with a Natural, they ended up with another Coordinator, and there is no Coordinator/Natural pairing by the end of Destiny, wasn’t there a thing about the Coordinators going sterile because they only got with other Coordinators?

I think one of the good relationships is Amuro and Chan from Char's Counterattack, for the fact that they seem to of had a good working relationship and the two had more of a connection than Beltorchika it seemed to me. I think Tomino wrote out Beltorchika in CCA because in the novel, she is pregnant with Amuro's child and survives the events of the novel, just an idea. The whole Baby Jesus Yamato thing was awesome, good job Chris!

Overall I like the EP, Keep up the good work and I hope year 3 of you guys will be even better.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
animalia

As a socially awkward guy who has never gone on a date i take offense at your stereotyping characters as having balls and such, I should also point out that i have asperger's syndrome which contributes to my poor reading of social ques.
animalia

Vent Noir wrote: The good ones:
- Renton and Eureka (Eureka 7) is a memorable one for me.
Amen they make a remarkably cute couple
UC fan

animalia wrote:As a socially awkward guy who has never gone on a date i take offense at your stereotyping characters as having balls and such, I should also point out that i have asperger's syndrome which contributes to my poor reading of social ques.
I couldnt really listen too it properly but I don't think they mean to be offensive, as someone with aspergers it probably wouldn't offend me on a personal level anyways. Note: I download this but it did not work.
Chris
Administrator

animalia wrote:As a socially awkward guy who has never gone on a date i take offense at your stereotyping characters as having balls and such, I should also point out that i have asperger's syndrome which contributes to my poor reading of social ques.
We're talking about fake animated people who don't exist. If you take offense to that, you're being too sensitive. We're not out to insult real people.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

A good episode.
Neo's ine during the Macross segment is classic.
"He got Astonaiged"

Even Chris almost cracked up first time he heard that one. :P

As for anime couples bit, I haven't seen all those series mentioned so I can't comment on all of them.
But Lacus and Kira is right, it was better when Kira was with Flay back in SEED.
Or heck if Cagalli never turned out to be Kira's eventual sister in the plot.

Also actually Chris, Kira and Lacus did kiss in episode 48 of SEED.