Kamen Rider Double(W)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
EZero8

Re: Kamen Rider Double(W)

ZeroBusterXX wrote:No, it's not just you. Although, I think Otoya is more "fabulous" than Shotaro is.
Well... Shotaro isn't some master violinist. There is nothing "fabulous" to being a private investigator who is always attacked by random kaijin.
And I've never seen Blade all the way through, I've only seen about 5 episodes of it. I liked what I saw, and I'll probably watch it all soon.

I also gather that you are a Faiz fan. Faiz is my personal favorite Heisei rider. I honestly had no beef with that series at all.
Actually, KR Blade is my favorite Heisei series. I just haven't had the time to find a cool Blade image to turn into an avvie. It had the best story by far and some believable characters. The Riders and their playing card-based system were awesome too. I recommend that you finish it.

555 is a close second amongst the Heisei bunch because Faiz is downright awesome; heck... all the Rider Systems were awesome in 555. The writing wasn't that great (the ending was a "WTF?!" moment for me), otherwise the series would've been ranked higher. But hey, you can't go wrong with seeing 20+ Crimson Smashes at once while in Axel Form. :)
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
VR7

Spoiler
There's something odd about the first episode I thought should mention. IIRC, when Shotaro and Philip transformed for the first time in the prologue to the first episode, the two merged--however, in the most recent episode, it looks like you only need Shotaro to transform, and Philip transfers his consciousness over or something and then promptly tosses his body into his car. Wonder why they can't just merge on the spot like they did last time.
I didn't like how Kabuto turned out. It was off to a decent start and had some strong points here and there, but around the time Hyper Kabuto introduced himself was where the story slowly began spiraling into complete madness. With better story pacing and editing, I'm sure it could've turned out to have been a great series.

I liked God Speed Love though.

IMO, Agito, Blade and Ryuki had some of the best writing in a Heisei rider series. Ryuki did turn itself inside-out right at the very end of the series, but some of the alternate retellings (i.e. Episode Final, 13 Riders) made up for that. Somewhat.

Apart from a couple of terrible episodes, Blade was consistently great from start to finish, and probably had the best ending to a Heisei rider series.

I liked Agito the most. The ending isn't on par with Blade, (decent enough though) but I liked the amount of thought they put into the storyline as a whole, compared to other Riders. The only thing I can think of that came pretty close is Ryuki.
-noel
EZero8

VR7 wrote:
Spoiler
There's something odd about the first episode I thought should mention. IIRC, when Shotaro and Philip transformed for the first time in the prologue to the first episode, the two merged--however, in the most recent episode, it looks like you only need Shotaro to transform, and Philip transfers his consciousness over or something and then promptly tosses his body into his car. Wonder why they can't just merge on the spot like they did last time.
Spoiler
It certainly appeared like they merged DBZ-style in the very first henshin, but for all we know they might have just tossed Phillip's limp body away from danger like in the other battles. I think it's safe to say though that they won't actually merge during the series.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
ZeroBusterXX

VR7 wrote:
Spoiler
I didn't like how Kabuto turned out. It was off to a decent start and had some strong points here and there, but around the time Hyper Kabuto introduced himself was where the story slowly began spiraling into complete madness. With better story pacing and editing, I'm sure it could've turned out to have been a great series.

I liked God Speed Love though.

IMO, Agito, Blade and Ryuki had some of the best writing in a Heisei rider series. Ryuki did turn itself inside-out right at the very end of the series, but some of the alternate retellings (i.e. Episode Final, 13 Riders) made up for that. Somewhat.

Apart from a couple of terrible episodes, Blade was consistently great from start to finish, and probably had the best ending to a Heisei rider series.

I liked Agito the most. The ending isn't on par with Blade, (decent enough though) but I liked the amount of thought they put into the storyline as a whole, compared to other Riders. The only thing I can think of that came pretty close is Ryuki.
I liked Agito because of the variety of Riders it had. A mystic one, an organic one, and a technological one.

Ryuki was cool because it had a really strange plot compared to a lot of the other series. Kinda like Highlander meets Kamen Rider, but with more
Spoiler
time travel hijinks
. Semi-related note: the American Dragon Knight toys stink. The belt and the Dragvisor are lame compared to the Japanese ones.

And, I've only seen a bit of Blade, so I don't have much of an opinion...

I liked God Speed Love too! My only beef was
Spoiler
that damn-near everyone died, I realize it was all undone, but still. That and Tsurugi didn't make a proper appearance.
The thing I loved most about Kabuto was the characters. All the Riders were such tools (well, except KaGAmi and Daisuke), and I loved it. It's the same reason I loved Den-O and Kiva, the characters were just cool.

Well, back to being on topic: The Kaijins for this series are crazy. And judging from some of the other Gaia Memory names, they're only gonna get wackier...
RadoGoji

I really want to see this, but I've been too busy and I'm currently still on the last episode of Decade. I have seen some clips of the henshin and some of the action sequences, and I really look forward to finally getting around to seeing it. :p
Now, your crimes shall be counted!
hitokirigarou

These are some of the (upcoming) Dopant Gaia Memories:
Spoiler
Finger
Lightning
Key
Umbrella
Gravitation
Apple
Star
Dog
Bean
Crab
Orange
Time
Zero
Jazz
Ear
Music
Hell
You
Pyramid
Cockroach
Anomalocaris

These were already shown:

Injury
T-Rex
Magma
Money
Terror
Taboo
Nazca
Clay Doll
Smilodon
Spoiler
Terror = Sonozaki father
Taboo = Sonozaki elder daughter
Nazca = Sonozaki son-in-law & top Dopant Gaia Memory salesman
Clay Doll = Sonozaki younger daughter
Smilodon = Sonozaki family cat
ZeroBusterXX

Spoiler
I wish I was the Zero Dopant!
Spoiler
The Finger Dopant better be a giant walking hand with an outstretched middle finger.
These are probably the weirdest Kaijin I have even heard of since X Rider's were shown to me.
EZero8

I'm really digging the increasingly Showa-like feel to Double. I mean, we're getting Kaijin that are actually modified humans rather than complete monsters/aliens much like the original series'.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

3 episodes in, and I'm really enjoying this series.

It feels like Den-O without being too "silly"

I love the way the belt voice guy says JOKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

LOL wow, even the cat gets a Gaia memory?
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Fredrex00

Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote: LOL wow, even the cat gets a Gaia memory?
I didn't notice that. But that cat seems pissed off all the time for some reason.

I'm starting to like this series a bit more than I did Decade. Seems a bit more comedic than previous series, though I haven't seen Den-O. Can't wait to see more of this series.
r34racer01

So anyone watch ep. 6? We got to see the 3rd of the vehicle modes, that jet ski thing, and of course Luna Trigger and the combo that would make Metalder and Kikaider proud HEATO - TORIGAA!.
Don't steal, the government hates competition.
Heecarl_Reez

Well...Luna+Trigger...Bend it!!!!!!!Guided bullet==awesome :mrgreen:.And I'm looking forward for W and Nazca battle in the future,need more not-rider rival :wink: .
Kavik Ryx

Not to question the awesomeness of Kamen Rider, but I've always wondered what draws anime fans to it in a way that Super Sentai doesn't seem to do (as well)?
ZeroBusterXX

Kavik Ryx wrote:Not to question the awesomeness of Kamen Rider, but I've always wondered what draws anime fans to it in a way that Super Sentai doesn't seem to do (as well)?
Probably because most Kamen Rider series take themselves a bit more seriously than Sentai. I mean, some of the Rider shows have pretty dark plots, as far as shows about bug guys fighting rubber-suited monsters go.

I mean, 555 and Kabuto (well, in its setup its dark. in execution? It's pretty comedic through most of it). Kuuga was pretty mature too.

I also think the suits are more well-designed than Sentai suits. Just compare any Rider/Kaijin to any Ranger/Whatever monster they fight and you'll see what I mean.

But sometimes, it's the silly things that make it cooler.
3 words: NAZI MEXICAN WRESTLERS
r34racer01

Introducing Kamen Rider Accel, the first motorcycle themed rider. His henshin device is a set of handle bars and he even transforms into a friggin' motorcycle.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 123336.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 143743.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 720477.jpg

And it looks like Double will be getting some new upgrades himself. Rumor is
Spoiler
Phillip bites the dust.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 632806.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 654379.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 763667.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 801170.jpg
ZeroBusterXX

r34racer01 wrote:Introducing Kamen Rider Accel, the first motorcycle themed rider. His henshin device is a set of handle bars and he even transforms into a friggin' motorcycle.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 123336.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 143743.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 720477.jpg

And it looks like Double will be getting some new upgrades himself. Rumor is
Spoiler
Phillip bites the dust.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 632806.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 654379.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 763667.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/r ... 801170.jpg
I saw this (and FangJoker) on HJU. W keeps getting stranger and better.

Bonus: Someone on there pointed out that each Rider is kind of an homage (visually at least) to some other Ishinomori heroes from the Showa era

W: Kamen Rider (duh)
Accel: Zubat
Skull: Skullman (I'm gonna be honest, when I heard Skull Rider was gonna be in the Decade X W movie, I assumed it was gonna be Skull Rider from the Spirits manga)
r34racer01

Well Begin's Night is now out in Area 11. Here's a review:

http://igadevil.blogspot.com/2009/12/do ... eview.html

Interesting points:
Spoiler
-Chief Narumi was already Kamen Rider Skull and possesed the double driver and the true gaia memories before he was killed

-Phillip is not Phillip's real name

-For Fang Joker its reveresed, Shotaro passes out and Phillip's body is used for W

-Chief Narumi isn't really alive, its a dummy dopant, although he is alive in some other alternate universe

Mysterious figure appears at the end holding a red gaia memory saying "This city deserves a better Kamen Rider." OMG Kamen Rider Accel!!!
Kavik Ryx

Out of curiosity, I went and saw the first episode of Double, which was certainly more awesome than any Sentai episode I've seen.

Is this series characteristic of most Rider series?
ZeroBusterXX

Kavik Ryx wrote:Out of curiosity, I went and saw the first episode of Double, which was certainly more awesome than any Sentai episode I've seen.

What do you mean? Like, the suit design, or the plot? Yeah, it's pretty characteristic for for the Riders.
r34racer01

Kavik Ryx wrote:Out of curiosity, I went and saw the first episode of Double, which was certainly more awesome than any Sentai episode I've seen.

Well alot of the more experienced Toku fans have said Double is so far a very good mix of Showa and Heisei, meaning its half old school, half new school. For example W uses his bike a lot, something the riders of the 70's and 80's did, however the newer rider shows all have their riders pilot big CGIed machines. The creators were clever this time and made double's bike part of the whole big CGI vehicle thing while also appeasing the fans who wanted a rider that actually rode something on a regular basis.