Episode 21 - No Rest for the Weary [4th]

The last RPG was "Zeta Gundam: Tales from the Frontlines - The AEUG" which ran from 2006-14.
hellbore

Re: Episode 21 - No Rest for the Weary [4th]

- The Hamburg -
- Pilot Ready Room -

I wish it were that easy...I've been seeing things like that replay in my mind for years...and now that poor young kid has a lifetime to relive his nightmare."

Equally concerned and confused about Bernard's parting comment, Adam turned to Randy and said, his concern clear in his voice, "He seems to be taking Al's injury pretty hard. I'm concerned about him, and his attitude. He was in tears when I walked in here. I think that, as CO, you should talk to him."

He turned back to his locker and opened it up to rummage around, looking for some unimportant knick-knacks, before closing it and turning to walk out. Before reaching the door, he said over his shoulder, "But that's just my opinion. Don't sweat it too much, man."
On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
toysdream wrote:I've always been partial to the Big Cloud of Balls
Lans

- The Hamburg -
- Pilot Ready Room -

"I wish it were that easy...I've been seeing things like that replay in my mind for years...and now that poor young kid has a lifetime to relive his nightmare," Emington watched rather dumbfounded as his comrade left the room. There's a hint of guilt in that tone he thought, he never thought war torn veteran like Korbel would be so caring to younglings like Alfred.

"He seems to be taking Al's injury pretty hard. I'm concerned about him, and his attitude. He was in tears when I walked in here. I think that, as CO, you should talk to him." Randy relaxed his head again against the bench chair while hearing to Adam. 'Yeah, I think I could understand the situation,' Randy thought to himself.

"But that's just my opinion. Don't sweat it too much, man."

Smile crossed in his lips before he responded casually, "yeah, thanks... let's just let him be for now, probably he's just too tired. or just being sick of this war." He rested his shoulder and remembered something. He saw Adam was about to left the room so he shouted a little, "Oi, go get some rest. I'll take the watch duty, if you need me I'll," and then he laughed a little thinking about the contradiction of guard duty and sleeping before saying, “be sleeping in my Nemo.”
hellbore

- The Hamburg -
- Pilot Ready Room -

"Oi, go get some rest. I'll take the watch duty, if you need me I'll, be sleeping in my Nemo.”

Adam laughed too ans threw his CO a lazy salute and said, "Yes sir, I'll get right on that" and walking out with a tired wave. He made for his quarters and collapsed exhausted onto his bunk, fully clothed.
On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Fritz Ashlyn

- L2 Space -

- The Dervish -
- Crew Quarters Hallway -

"...So you finally decided to come out," Fritz said, trying to remain affable not sure what else to say. He knew perfectly well Celeine still wasn't his biggest fan and she hadn't been seen outside her quarters for a long time. Her brows knit and she shook her head, "I couldn't stand being in that room any more. I don't want to waste time feeling sorry for myself any more. It's too selfish...". She pulled the blanket up again and frowned, "I don't have to explain myself to you,". Fritz let out a breath of a sigh. He didn't have the energy to deal with an argument, and his heart wasn't in it to begin with. He hadn't been very welcoming to her when she arrived, regardless of the circumstances, and maybe this was another reminder of the price he had to pay for being quick to anger in the past.

He shivered slightly as the sweat coating him began to cool from the ship's climate control, and shook his head, "No, y--". The soft alarm chime warning that the gravity blocks were reactivating caused him to stop mid-sentence, and the sequence began to calmly count down from 10. Celeine wobbled in place, trying to make sure her feet were planted right, and she had to let go of her grip on her blanket to put a hand on the wall to stay in place. Fritz reached out and gently held her arm to help steady her as the gravity came back on, and their feet slowly sank to the floor as they returned to supporting their own weight. Caro'd smoothly pulled away from Fritz' hand and admonished, "I don't need your help," as she drew the blanket back up around her shoulders.

Fritz noticed how much her temper seemed to have cooled since the last time they had spoken to each other, and her reaction seemed to be more like irritated scolding than outright hatred. He opened his mouth to apologize and she shook her head, "Don't,". She took a few steps past Fritz and then turned back slightly to ask, "Where is Celeste?". Fritz blew out another breath and shook his head, "Last I saw she was still in the hangar... I don't think she needs to be bothered right now,". Celeste headed for the lift without responding.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Sume Gai

-Balrampur-
-Briefing Room-

Rick's brow furrowed. It wasn't because of the Captain's choice of team leader or the announcement that they would still be on standby. Rather it was the fact that in short order he had been thanked twice just for doing his job; It didn't really bother Rick but it did confuse him somewhat. Other than his slight change in expression Rick did not move to object to the captain's decision or ask any questions.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
ScornMandark

Dervish
- Hangar -

Rem turned as the doctor joined them on the catwalk. "Stopgap? I hadn't realized there were further upgrades planned." He looked over the hangar again. The semi-controlled chaos had resolved into something more orderly, mostly the mechanics had shifted to shipboard damage now that they had performed the bulk of the MS repairs. A few were still there, working on salvaging parts or rebuilding systems that had no replacements on board. Rem looked at Sophie and then back to the doctor.

He cleared his throat, a little uncomfortably. "Doctor, is it possible part of the performance issue is pilot training, or lack thereof?" He glanced at Sophie, hoping she wouldn't misunderstand. "I mean, we finished some of the retrofitting only a few hours before they were sortied, not enough time for a satisfactory shakedown, let alone combat. I don't believe any of the pilots even had simulator time before the fight broke out." He let his gaze wander to the broken and crushed pieces on the hangar floor. "Maybe I should redesign the simulator as the new upgrades come out. Even plotting base weight and component mass should be enough to simulate a response time lag and momentum shifts during maneuvers. Any test data would be invaluable, also..."
The Mekton Zeta Mailing List wrote:27. I will not put emergency destruct devices in my mecha. I will put them in my pilots. Nothing motivates like thermite.
The Loser Villain

-Balrampur, Briefing Room-

Terrace looked on quietly as the Captain gave them the news.

It was a shame about what happened to Lt. Folk, but Johnathon would probably do a good job at being the new CO. Plus he was the next highest rank on the team so it made sense.

He gave a thumbs up to Johnathon after the Captain finished, "I'll volunteer for the first shift on standby."
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
Lans

- The Balrampur -
- Briefing Room –

"I'll volunteer for the first shift on standby." Ens Terrace voice breaks the silence.

“Very well... Now if you'll excuse me gentlemen, I have another matter to attend,” Karl ended the briefing. He took another glance at the pilots and then left the briefing room.

He saw Dr Proud waiting at the door. The doctor must’ve been peeking inside while Karl gave his little speech to the pilots. He walked toward the doctor and gestured her to follow him, “It’s too bad that the time is pressing. We got no time to conduct interview. But I think I have faith in the man’s character. He should be alright… And now since you have some more pressing matters to do in the Dervish, I believe you want to be there ASAP.”

They’ve came to the launch deck and the crew were still preparing the shuttle. One of the officers noticed of their arrival and greeted the captain. “Sir. Mam,” the officer acknowledged the visitors. “We've cleared with the Dervish and the launch will be ready in 5 minutes.”

Karl looked around and faced the doctor. “Well, doctor everything will be ready in 5 minutes. Do you need to get anything from your room? You may ask one of the crew to help you with your belongings.”

Two men arrived from the hallway. “Sir, request permission for to board the launch to the Dervish.” One of them handled the document, along with his identification. ‘Intelligence,’ Karl thought when he saw the document header. “Talk to Chief Terry over there. Tell him you two have my blessing.”

“We thanked you for that, but we only need one person to deliver the document.” The second man, much older than the first chuckled and saluted the Captain before turned away and left the launch area.

Undisturbed by it, Karl resumed his previous conversation in casual tone. “Doctor, I wish you a safe journey and please send my gratitude to Capt. Abbey of the Dervish.”
Fritz Ashlyn

- L2 Space -

- The Dervish -
- Fritz' Quarters -

Fritz tiredly grabbed a clean uniform to change into, one of his older Federal tans, and got ready to head back out to hit the showers. The bed called to him the whole time he moved around his quarters, and he briefly considered laying down to sleep instead of cleaning up and heading back out to deal with the aftermath of the battle. After he had his things together, he reluctantly decided sleep would have to wait and headed for the door. With Team 1's ready room still... off limits - Fritz sighed and shook his head, not wanting to think about that - he hadn't been able to store his normal suit properly. He'd have to carry it back down after his shower, and that meant he'd likely run into Michiko. He still didn't know how to feel about that.

On top of everything else he didn't want to deal with, he had injured his own hand like a fool. "Damn," he muttered as his left hand tightened up again; he mentally added sick bay to the end of his list of post-shower destinations. He needed to go back to the hangar to check on the mobile suits, and he wanted to talk to the captain before he laid down to get some rest. He figured he'd have to be awake for at least another two hours. On the way to the showers in the crew quarters, he passed the other pilots' rooms. His eyes wandered across the nameplates - Ian Greydon... Clute Tideland... James MacAlpin... Luke Burke... He lowered his vision to the deck and watched his feet as he walked, not wanting to see the next name. He shook his head, jaw clenched, and moved on, gradually slowing down until he came to a stop and leaned against the wall outside the door to the showers. "Jesus..." he angrily choked up, covering up his eyes with the crook of his right arm as he let the wall support him.

- Hangar -

"Stopgap? I hadn't realized there were further upgrades planned," Rem said, surprised. The doctor scanned a page that had caught his eye and hummed a vague affirmative without looking up. As the gravity control countdown neared completion, Sophie reached out with her good arm and hauled Dr. M onto the catwalk to keep him from plummeting to the hangar floor. "Oh! Danke, my dear. Heheh," he chuckled, as if she had just picked up a dropped pen for him. The three of them managed to easily return to supporting their weight, and Rem cleared his throat to continue, "Doctor, is it possible part of the performance issue is pilot training, or lack thereof?". He glanced at Sophie and explained, "I mean, we finished some of the retrofitting only a few hours before they were sortied, not enough time for a satisfactory shakedown, let alone combat. I don't believe any of the pilots even had simulator time before the fight broke out... Maybe I should redesign the simulator as the new upgrades come out. Even plotting base weight and component mass should be enough to simulate a response time lag and momentum shifts during maneuvers. Any test data would be invaluable, also..."

Merkwürdigliebe looked up from his papers and nodded after pondering Rem's observations for a moment. "I, eh, believe it would benefit both the AEUG and, ah, our company if the pilots receive proper training on the new equipment. This scenario was wery unforseeable beforehand, you understand. But Mr. Gates was quite adamant about the exact wording of his contract," he said, shrugging almost inappropriately. His right hand wandered as he talked until it took a sudden white-knuckle grip on the catwalk railing next to them. Dr. M nodded again, seemingly unaware of his hand, "Simulator time should greatly increase the effektiveness of our Rick Dias equipment, yes,". He happened to look over as he adjusted his glasses, and chuckled "Oh, haha" as he noticed his right hand's death grip on the railing. He tried to pull it away unsuccessfully a couple of times, and then whacked it lightly with his clipboard until it let go. "So!" the doctor said, immediately returning to the conversation with Rem leaving Sophie wide-eyed, "Who is your new freund? She's quite fetching,".
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
The Big Zabowski

-Celeste-

The sight of Clute's pod being crushed like some old piece of scrap aluminum played over and over in Celeste's mind, like some sort of morbid skipping video track. She felt herself trying to reach out with her hand into the darkness of her powered down 'Dias.. but felt nothing.

The same nothingness that she felt from the pod as it was hauled back to the Dervish. The same nothingness that came from his locker.. from his quarters..

From the ship itself. It all just felt so cold. Surreal..

"Why..?"

She found her voice squeaking as tears continued to condense around her head, slowly dribbling from her eye. She drew her hand back, slowly, the gravity blocks allowing her to drift toward the floor of the cockpit. There, she laid curled in a loose fetal position, hand slightly out stretched a bit as if reaching for someone that she knew wasn't there.. but needed to grasp onto one more time.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
hellbore

- The Hamburg -

- Hanger -

Now that the gravity was back on, Randy walked into the hanger where the Nemo's wee being serviced. As his was the least damaged it was mostly being ignored. Waving back to some of the crew who saw and recognised him he climbed up into the cockpit from the frame. Leaving the hatch open he settled down to wait and watch. He thought back about Adam's words, about the way Bernard had been acting. He knew that as CO of the team it fell to him to take action, but he wasn't sure that he needed to. Flicking on the Nemo's computer, he begun to review some of his combat data, both to pass the time and to take his mind off of those uncomfortable things that he had to think about.
wonton bob

- The Hamburg -

Bernard sits on the edge of his bed staring at the wall infront of him. He sees the faces of Traubel, Kai and Al flash by with expressions of horror. They've been appearing randomly now and he can't control it. He begs for them to stop, for them to leave him alone. In a quick panic Bernard grabs his pistol from a nearbly table cocking the hammer as he aims it at the wall. His hands shake realizing the images have fled once again back in his mind. Closing his eyes as if seeking release, he pulls the gun toward his head. "NO!" Bernard yells.

With wild eyes he looks at the wall first before pointing the gun all around. "Leave me alone!" he screams before pulling the gun under his chin and pulling the trigger. 'click'

An unloaded gun lays on the floor as Bernard leaves the room.
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
Drei

- Balrampur -
- Breifing Room -

Hope that Folk was alive from the Captain was enough to get Jonhathon's mind off of Folk. He was still bothered by how he had felt but Terrace's offer to be on the first shift nulled that as well. The captain left the room immediatly without any questions or concerns being raised by the pilots. Johnathon followed Terrace's statement with a full set of orders.

"Yes, that is fine Terrace. I'll take over after you then after about 4 hours. Mr... Archer, I believe is your name, will continue after me. I trust you both will get any problems with your suits handled before your shift starts."

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to be a commander, Johnathon thought. Now he just needed to make sure his Nemo was getting its air leak fixed. Johnathon headed for the door and turned his head to the right slightly.

"I've something to check our about my Nemo, I'll be seeing what I can help the mechanics with after that."

The door that was a few feet away moments ago slid open for Johnathon as he exited the room, turning his body while towards the hangar. He pulled both hands through his hair, hoping he could lead the two still in the room.
ScornMandark

Dervish
- Hangar -

Rem grinned at Sophie's look of incredulity. "Dr., this is Ensign Sophie Coggs, one of the Nemo pilots. Sophie, this is Dr. Merkwurdigliebe, Anaheim's premiere MS research and development scientist. His work has propelled MS research to heights it would have taken the rest of us years to accomplish in a more normal design cycle." Rem thought for a second, then continued. "Dr, how long is the planned stopover? I think if we can work out a set of estimates for the next round, I could have the new parameters plugged in within a few days, and we could get pilots on a training schedule during leave, based on data from the last battle. Especially if it'll be a few weeks, the pilots won't have to give up much leave." He turned to Sophie with a grin. "Interested in checking my calculations?"
The Mekton Zeta Mailing List wrote:27. I will not put emergency destruct devices in my mecha. I will put them in my pilots. Nothing motivates like thermite.
Fritz Ashlyn

- L2 Space -

- The Dervish -
- Hangar -

Dr. M smiled and waved away Rem's praise as he was introduced to Sophie, and he bowed to her slightly as she tentatively shook his hand. Rem continued with his business, "Dr, how long is the planned stopover? I think if we can work out a set of estimates for the next round, I could have the new parameters plugged in within a few days, and we could get pilots on a training schedule during leave, based on data from the last battle. Especially if it'll be a few weeks, the pilots won't have to give up much leave,". He turned to Sophie with a grin, "Interested in checking my calculations?". Merkwürdigliebe smiled and shrugged at the question, "As closely as we are cooperating mit Sir Gates, I am still not privy to the AEUG's military plans. I'm not sure he is either,". He looked down at his materials again and said, "I suspect our rebel friends will be planning another large attack now that the Titans are on their heels, eh, so to speak. Accounting for repairs and preparations they might be in Amman for several weeks,".

Up on one of the catwalks, several crewmen stepped back and gave a wide berth to the disheveled figure that strode past them wrapped up in a wrinkled blanket. Celeine Caro'd didn't look any of them in the eyes as she silently made her way to the metal outcropping that provided access to the cockpit hatch of Celeste's Rick Dias. With several wary mechanics looking on from a safe distance, she adjusted the cover and reached out with one hand to gather her hair back before gently rapping on the cockpit door. After a moment with no reply, she leaned in and rested her forehead against the cool metal and knocked a little harder. "Celeste... It's me, Celeine. I..." she said softly, her vision wandering down to the hangar floor where Lt. Tideland's ruined cockpit still lay, "We need to talk. Celeste, please open the door,".

- Hallway -

Michiko had felt like a fool when Fritz pulled away from her and walked out the door, leaving her alone with her failure and the still-fresh emotions the battle had worked up inside her. She had choked up and let herself drift for a while, crying openly like a little girl, until the gravity started to come back. She murmured wordless sounds of anger at the countdown and struggled to twist her body into position to land on her feet, and managed to brace herself with a hand on the wall. With an irritated sob, she pulled the front of her normal suit closed and leaned against the corner as she wiped her eyes and nose with the back of her free hand. "Why did I think it would work? Why did I think it was a good idea?" she asked herself as she took a shaky step towards the door. It felt like it was all for nothing - things were worse off than they had been before, they had to be.

When she got to the door, she stopped for a moment and her already flushed face turned a deeper shade of crimson. She sniffled again as she began to wonder, "Who am I going to run into out there? What am I going to tell them? Does everyone already know...". Michiko shook her head and decided to leave the ready room. She couldn't get to her quarters and change if she didn't leave. As she walked through the door, still holding her suit closed, she saw Jacob headed in her direction and immediately let her vision drop to the deck. She squeezed her eyes shut, knowing they'd have to pass each other so that she could get to the elevator at the end of the hall.

- The Balrampur -
- Outside the Briefing Room -

"Well," the captain said, letting an overworked breath out, "Miller seems capable enough for our needs at the moment, doctor,". He bowed again politely before taking Dr. Proud by the arm again to guide her to the hangar. As they glided down the hallway, he observed, "Unless you disagree with my amatuer assessment of the JG, I'll be happy to see you off. The launch should be ready by now,".

- The Hamburg -
- Bridge -

"So we've got some banged-up pilots and a few damaged Nemos, and the Gate of Zedan is currently turning into a debris field. I'll take that trade any day," Capt. Loweno bellowed, chuckling boisterously as he flipped through a more thorough damage report for the ship. "Yes, sir," Stalvern nodded calmly, "Ens. Izuruha has moderate injuries but is in stable condition, and there seems to be... additional problems with Ens. Korbel,". Loweno took off his hat and flipped it to his XO, who clumsily reached out to catch it in the lack of gravity. "Is that so..." he murmured, reading one of the post-battle assessments on Bernard. He looked up and asked, "Where is Ens. Korbel now?". Lt. Stalvern tucked the captain's hat into the crook of his arm and shook his head, "I don't know, sir. He's likely in his quarters,". Loweno nodded and looked up from the papers after a moment, thinking aloud, "I'll have to talk to them once Alfred is conscious... Keep me posted on the kid's condition,".
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

King Monkey

- The Dervish -
- Hallway -

Jacob had fallen when the gravity came back on. Lost in his own thoughts, he hadn't really heard the warning. It had been a surprise as he started to fall toward the deck. Fortunately, the process was not instantaneous and he didn't get hurt when he hit the floor.

Dragging himself off the floor, he stalked off, not even looking around to see if anyone had seen his embarrassing moment. He was paying little more attention when he came to the hallway that contained Michiko.

Thus, he was quite surprised when he slammed into her. Looking up, he scowled angrily before realizing who he'd bumped into and the expression on her face.

Before realizing it, his reflexes kicked in. "Are you ok?" he asked, even though he didn't care how anyone was feeling.
Yep...That's Texas in a nutshell. Why just say "f**k you" when you can put it on a flag?

Want to play an Avenger or Spider-man? Come to Marvel 972: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Marvel_Eart ... hp?act=idx
Attomoku

Balrampur, Corridor

Dr. Proud

"Well, Miller seems capable enough for our needs at the moment Doctor. Unless you disagree with my amateur assessment of the JG, I'll be happy to see you off. The launch should be ready by now."
"Thank you Captain," Ashley graciously replied and taking his arm again allowed herself to be escorted to the Hanger and the waiting launch. She continued to converse in the meanwhile and called up Miller's notes on her datapad, "I believe he will be well suited to the position. It seems he has drive and a direction in life now after overcoming his depression."
They soon reached the hanger and Proud floated into the launch. "I cannot thank you enough. I'll put in a good word with Uncle Branson as soon as I get the chance. Farewell for now."
She took her seat. While they waited for clearance from the Dervish the hatch closed, soon enough they had the necessary clearance and the Doctor was whisked to the 4th's flagship.
IAN: (Shaking fist up at sky in a storm of GN particles) Science does not WORK this way, Setsuna!!!
The Big Zabowski

-Celeste-

Celeste...

"No.."

She clenched her eyes and set her jaw, globules of tears floating from her head as she clenched tighter into a ball.

Celeste...

"No.. no.."

She tried to push the voice away in her head. She could see his face, and for some reason it was calling out for her. Again and again it would call out before she would see it squashed violently with tearing skin, blood, and bone fragments flew toward her field of view from the blue hand of the Griffin.

"NOO!"

She thrashed out at the mental image, slamming into the cockpit door and in turn forcing it open into Celene's leaning form as she rested on the cockpit door.

"CLUTE!~"

She was still in some kind of semi-cataonic state, grasping for something to catch herself on and gain her bearings. All the while shaking her head as if she had water in her inner ear or some sort. The image of the Griffin crushing Clute in the physical and metaphysical form was continuing to assault her. A few globules of sweat, tears, and blood followed her out of the cockpit as well, some staining her pilot suit and others just floating aimlessly around head of the marred AEUG machine.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)