RPG Idea Discussion Thread

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
Fritz Ashlyn

Re: RPG Idea Discussion Thread

The members are collectively choosing a game to be run by someone, so ultimately it's up to the GM to do the right thing and stick around. The only thing I can guarantee is that there will be potentially severe consequenses for anyone that walks out and lets an RPG die.

To address one of your later points, I'm not sure how being more or less restrictive in letting members choose/create mecha effects the long-term survivability of an RPG. If it's being run by someone competant and the members find it enjoyable it's going to work, restrictive or not.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Ziryab

As I start comin up with somethin more concise, should I go make a resubmit post or would it be better to edit my old one instead?
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Fritz Ashlyn

If I understand our organizational quagmire correctly*, you can just wait and PM the updated idea to Red when he gathers them together for the new voting thread.

*kidding
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Lans

Now that other options are available, I decided to withdraw my Macross RPG.
mcred23

Kavik Ryx wrote:Wait. Wasn't posting in this thread the equivalent of submitting? Or is there more bureaucracy to the whole thing?
No, posting here isn't equivalent of submitting. You have to PM the idea to me, using the CODE tags. It's in the RPG Rules (See the "Selection of games" bit at the bottom), and I always go over them again when I start allowing submissions. Why? Mainly to let the creator have another chance to word everything to their liking to make their submission the best it can be, as the stuff that usually comes up in these threads get changed to one extent or another. Plus, it forces you people to get online again and actually do stuff, which is good if you plan on running one of these things. :)
SNT1 wrote:Also, the only 2 other successful RPGs besides TftF weren't very restrictive about players and their mecha; in TARRRPG You can choose most mecha without apocalyptic abilities, and G-Gundam RPG let players create their own Gundams.
Really, that is nothing more than a coincidence as to why those RPGs did well and why the other RPGs did not. The RPGs that didn't do well almost always had issues with their GM (Namely, their not being around, among other problems, custom mecha never being one of them), which as Fritz kinda mentioned, is what largely determines whether an RPG lives or dies. The TARRRPG always had a few people around who kept it moving along, and Cardi worked his RB-79s off to keep the G RPG alive (Partly because he liked the idea, partly to spite me :mrgreen:).

Like Fritz said, if it's being run by a competent person (Or persons) who invest the time to do everything right, and the members find it enjoyable, it'll work. Custom mecha could be a factor towards the latter, but it shouldn't be the main reason why people like the RPG and want to be a part of it.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Kavik Ryx

For the hell of it, may I inquire as to why code tags? Not that there is anything wrong with it, just wondering.
mcred23

Because you can't simply copy and paste italic, bold, underlined, or colored text, and I don't want to have to go through a submission and add them back in (And likely miss a few if many are used) when it is far easier for you to just press a button and give me something like this...

Code: Select all

Which [u]keeps [/u][i]all[/i] that [b]good[/b] stuff [color=#400000]intact[/color]
It's easier for everyone, and it's another way to make sure that the idea is exactly how the creator wanted it to be.

Sume Gai

Before this closes and submissions begin let me put up a bit more info about My SRW RP idea

Mechs

Each faction will have designated machines for their Regulars and Aces. from which to choose.

ESF: HAL: those marked with a * would be unavailable at the start.

In addition Special NPCs will control several of the more potent units and come and go to move the overall plot along.

Weapons

One thing I hoped to employ is a system similar to the OG 1 & 2 games where players can swap weapons out based on personal preference. Each mech depending on it's type will have several weapons from which the players choose 2-3 (this excludes built in weapons like vulcans etc.)
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Fritz Ashlyn

Because Red and I have been very busy for the last couple of days (Madden), I'm here to suggest that people start PMing their ideas to Red with the proper code tags and formatting. He'll be along eventually to do his thing with thread closings and whatnot.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

mcred23

Yeah, consider submission time officially open.

As mentioned before, the submission needs to be in CODE tags. Anything you want to be in the voting thread, which will be of the same type as previous polls, needs to be within those tags. If for some reason you need to resend a PM to me, you noticed some errors or wanted to add more or whatever, please make it clear that you are sending me a new version, and I'll use that and promptly delete the older version. I'll post a list of the people who send me submissions in this thread (Likely edited into this post, to begin).

Now, two other notes. The first is all submissions have to be in by 11:30 PM EST this Wednesday (August 19th). At that time, this thread will be locked, and I'll be posting the voting poll (Because by then I'll need a break from Madden NFL 10 :mrgreen:).

The other is that you are going to need to have a GM ready to be included in the poll. Please state somewhere in your PM (It doesn't need to be in the submission itself, either in the title or above the code tags or someplace like that) who the GM is going to be. Normally, I'd assume the person sending the idea is going to be the GM, but since we've had a number of ideas come up in here where people have said they aren't interested in being GM, I want to be sure who is going to be running the thing if it gets picked.

And that is it. If I'm not sure who the GM is or have a question of my own or need you to clearify something, I'll ask via PM.

(Cue Trinary Theme Song)

mcred23

So far I've gotten submissions from the following people.

The Big Zabowski
Ziryab
Kavik Ryx
Sume Gai

Anyone else who plans to submit an idea, or is willing to do an idea that someone else hasn't submitted, has a little over a day left to do so.

EDIT @ 1:10 PM Wednesday: Added another person to the list I've gotten PMs from. There is still over 10 hours left!

Zizi

It's not to late is it? I came here awhile ago and found out about this so I made up my own idea. Thank goodness I remembered to come back in time ^^;

Ok so here's the intro to the idea

Zero, Leader of the Black Knights,

It cannot be denied that the Black Knights have been the key to awakening the force of rebellion in the heart's of those suppressed by Britannia. Is it however, Zero, the one goal the Black Knights have is to defeat Britannia? Do you fight Britannia or only fight for Japan? If your goal alone is to defeat Britannia, then we extend to you this offer. We are the leaders of the Red Eagles. We are a growing rebellion that has not have as much power over the people as the Black Knights do now. We assure you though, we are well equipped to be useful allies, and have rebelled against Britannia long before Area 11 was established. We will stand by you if you promise to fight for the freedom of all those suppressed by Britannia's rule. If we can both forget the old quarrels both our countries held against each other once and unite to defeat our common enemy, then we shall win!

Together, the Black Knights and Red Eagles can win!

Freedom, Liberty and Justice, Leaders of the Red Eagles

"A letter from Area One, eh? Seems that the Black Knights have awaken the beaten beast..."

---

So basically, it's America in Code Geass world. People say America doesn't exist in the anime, but with a little imagination, I think it could! So basically, an underground rebellion in the American lands find out about Zero and his Black Knights and decide to join forces with him. Either the Americans have worked on their own Knightmares (and might have given them different names?) or have stolen from Brittania like Zero did (and probably later get better stuff just like the Black Knights.) Freedom, Liberty and Justice are all code names for the leaders, and ranking Freedom is like the President, Liberty the vice president and Justice the, probably secretary (though probably handles in weapons more so then the others.)

Just an idea. Wondering if maybe anyone else would like it.

As for the GM, I'm pretty good in knowing what Code Geass is about, and do so love anything to do with pitting anyone against American forces. Though, if possible, (if the idea is even considered good) anyone interested could possibly be co-GM? I'm very open minded to other ideas and letting people take some power over stuff I've made.
EZero8

You were supposed to PM the idea to Reddo. Not sure if you still have time though.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
mcred23

And we've reached the submission deadline. This thread will now be closed and the voting poll and all the valid submissions will be posted shortly.