RPG Idea Discussion Thread

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
mcred23

RPG Idea Discussion Thread

And so it begins again!

Like the title says, this is where people can discuss their ideas for the next MechaTalk RPG. You can post anything to get some feedback, make suggestions, comment, and all that good stuff. The idea is to fine tune any exsisting ideas, or come up with some new ones, so we can vote on which one will be the next RPG played.

There aren't many guidelines for this. Obviously, the idea has to be mecha related, and Universal Century and Mixed Universe ideas aren't allowed. Any Gundam AU is allowed, as are ideas from other shows (Such as Macross), again, as long as they are mecha related. Original Universe (Meaning a universe created by one of you, with its own setting, characters, mecha, background, etc, etc) ideas are also allowed, but I will once again heavily stress that anyone with an Original Universe idea should make sure it is developed enough to support an RPG.

And that is basically it. This thread will be open until sometime next weekend. Later this week, either Wednesday or Thursday, I'll begin allowing people to officially submit ideas for the voting poll to me via PM (Meaning, in other words, don't send me anything prior to that 8)), as well as give a deadline as to when those submissions can be in, and remind everyone of the process to submit an idea (Not that it's hard or anything :P).

GOGOGO! :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
EZero8

Re: RPG Idea Discussion Thread

mcred23 wrote:Original Universe (Meaning a universe created by one of you, with its own setting, characters, mecha, background, etc, etc) ideas are also allowed, but I will once again heavily stress that anyone with an Original Universe idea should make sure it is developed enough to support an RPG.
How would you be able to quantify "developed enough" for these Original Universes? Would a detailed summary of the universe work?
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Sume Gai

This is an Idea that I've had mulling around for a long while it's the most developed Idea for an RP I've had. It's placed in an alternate Super Robot Wars/Taisen OG universe and rather than focus on the more colorful band of protagonists and their prototype weapons is based around grunt units.

SRW: Chaos

60 years ago, despite a pair of devastating meteor strikes, Earth was on the verge of overcrowding, To counter this the Earth Sphere Federation created the Space Development Corporation and tasked them with building the first Permanent space habitats. Within 45 years almost half of humanity was living in space, and overpopulation was no longer a concern. As such, the frugal ESF parliament cut the SDC's funding, leaving it to private organizations to continue space development.

Citizens in the Colonies felt betrayed when their government seemingly left them to fend for themselves and soon more radical voices took the lead. Thanks to funding from lunar based Mao Industries the remnants of the SDC became the Human Advancement League. Initially the HAL was merely a privately funded continuation of the SDC but soon it grew, 10 years later the HAL amounted to the primary governing force in the colonies and a fully armed military group.

At first it seemed that, even split into these two camps, the majority of humanity was unready for an actual war. The HAL and ESF never fought outright for territory or authority. Political leaders such as Bian Zoldark and Maier V. Branstein pushed for a peaceful coexistence. Yet it was not meant to be, a series of assassinations and bombings aimed at both sides slowly changed both public opinion and political landscape. Zoldark and Branstein were some of the first to go and were soon followed by other government leaders that had agreed with them.

Now it seems Humanity teeters on the brink of full scale war pitting earth against space. Was this inevitable, a part of human nature, or is something else at work?

=========================================

i also have a few other thoughts but none are very well developed.

-a 00 RP set as a retelling of the first season with original characters.
-a Bokurano RP
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
mcred23

(Smacks forehead) I forgot to mention, although it should go without saying, any question you have for me can either go here. :mrgreen:
The Gundam That Ripped Its Own Arm Off wrote:How would you be able to quantify "developed enough" for these Original Universes? Would a detailed summary of the universe work?
I'd say yes. To provide an example, Gambit's OU submission for the last poll did well in showing what would be needed. I'd call it fairly well detailed in explaining most of the background stuff a person would need to know.

The thing about an OU, unlike an established AU or other mecha show, where we already have all the background information and history that may impact it, mecha profiles and technology, and locations and all that other stuff, you have to create all of these things for an Original Universe, and in many cases, explain them before hand to one extent or another. So there is a lot more background work that would need to go into it then with a normal RPG, where most of these things are already explained from official sources. And on top of that, as the RPG would go along, you'll almost certainly have to continue developing it, so the process goes on. Basically, just look at almost any Gundam show that is the first or only work set in their universe (AU's are a good choice, because a Gundam OU here would basically be our own little AU) and see how one of those would develop, and understand you'll have to try and do basically the same thing.

In short, you are going to be responsible for everything related to the hypothetical RPG. Simply trying to run an RPG based on exsisting stuff requires a great deal of time and effort, an OU requires considerably more of both, and I guess what I am getting at is that's not something that should be undertaken lightly.

Kylern

Ok I have one for you. Since you said Macross I gotta add my own take on a side story we could do within the universe.

Basically it takes place a few years after the events of Macross 7. A New Macross class colony ship is reaching a recently uncharted piece of space supposeably because an Earth like planet had been detected. But known only to the command aboard the Macross X this was really an operation to find the whereabouts of the Megaroad 1 Ghost ship.

The Macross X's command structure and main VF squads would be played by the players as they tried to uncover the secret that UN Spacy Command had kept secret from the rest of society, including a brand new alien foe. The way I think of it, their will be an unknown number of 4 man teams piloting either the Thunderbolts with the lead unit piloting the Nightmares. Later on of course they would be updated to either the VF-22S or the VF-19s depending on where the story goes. Characters can choose to either take the Thunderbolts or be pilots of other time line appropriate units for flavor. Maybe even a Variable Glaug could make its appearance for VF pilot wannabe Zentradis.

I could submit more information if necessary. This was just a rough mind splurg just to get something down.
When the books are written will we be on the right side of history?
Totally Awesome Random Robot RPG
EZero8

emsee+red+twenty-three wrote:*Rambles about hard work and other related stuff that need to go into good RP ideas...*
Damn there goes my Bootfighter Windom idea... :roll: :P

I already have a much more thought-out idea lying around somewhere anyways. I'll post up the rough draft in the morning.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Lans

Few years ago I wrote some rough sketches (story/ fanfic) about Macross universe, probably I could help if people want to play an RPG based on that particular world. Like my other sketches I never made it into a fanfic because I don’t have enough willpower to write the actual story from start to finish.

I haven't read the word file again, but I think I research quite a lot on that subject; (that time) enough to make me wants to vomit on sight of any macross website. Basically it's a one of the colonization / expedition force set sail to explore the galaxy. I chose the fleet size to be small, to make it less confusing. It set sails slightly after the varuta event in Macross 7, so technological wise it got the mixture of Thunderbolt, Nightmares, limited Vf-19, and Ghost X-9. I think I named it Macross 11 or something. For now, let just assume it to be XY. Heck, I'll run a lottery or something to let people name it (and other stuff need to be named) if this story get selected as RPG.

MACROSS XY - xx'th long-distance colonization fleet

Set sail in 204X and considered one of the most compact colonization fleet ever created. It received less publication; the get-away celebration was shrouded in fear of the new story of Varuta attack on Macross 7 fleet. One and a half year in space they fall into a misfortune. The fleet hit a space fold anomaly in a fold process that eventually turned into a disaster. The fold anomaly acts like a fold superhighway a shortcut to travel an astronomical distance in one single fold process that made the fleet ventured too far to uncharted territory. This also made them unable to return to original spot. They ended up in secluded space region and completely lost to the rest of the human civilization. It's like a one ticket journey and stuck inside the maze. The "unable" part is basically a too dangerous act for the macross fleet who also houses thousands of civilians. Military vessel tried to jump back but none made it back to tell the news. Without guarantee of success to return to original place the fleet push ahead to explore the unknown space region.

The region largely proved to be inhabitable, that is until in their sixth year a methodical scout operation found a medium sized planet, slightly larger than earth that has all necessary requirements to support human life. The planet is largely land masses with the seas and ocean like lakes. It has acceptable atmosphere and most of the area covered in tropical forest condition; the only problem is the heavy gravity of the planet. The macross fleet prepared to colonize to the planet, but first they need to know if the environment is truly suitable or not (is it hostile or not).

---------

I think that's the starting point for RPG characters. The bulk of the UN Spacy military is compromised of people trained mainly for space combat. They also getting old after 6 years, new cadets are small in numbers since it’s not really a promising job. Furthermore, the varuta event play a weird part to this expedition force, as it receive less (2/3) pilots than the original plan. However, UN Spacy exclusively allowing the fleet to carry some amount of Ghost fighter X-9, and allowed its usage on emergency situation.

Before the fleet set sail, the UN Space felt the need to put more defensive measure against the varuta, making the earth government to stockpile ships and military hardware for themselves, this made the regular colonization fleet received less colonization support vessels. Thus made the colonization fleet’s travel duration is severely limited (food, water, etc) compared to similar fleet, hence the desire to quickly colonize a planet or just return to resupply.

------
------

More background story:

The heavy gravity and some other special circumstances of the yet unnamed planet made the military to rethink about the efficiency of using already trained pilots to do the job. The heavy gravity made the VF units unable to go back to space easily, once they landed on the soil they need more support equipment to go back to space. The fleet got booster equipment ready but not in large numbers. Production and modification process is still underway.

The fear of varuta attack is really strong because their close relation to its sister fleet, macross 7. This made the option to put trained men to search the planet and made the fleet less defended a bad choice. They still need the men nearby the fleet in case if suddenly they got attacked by varuta, zentraedi, or other (Vajra is unknown at this point). So there's the need to recruit more people to fill the gap. Trained them to fight in specialized heavy gravity situation and send them to secure the planet.

Of course, why the military tend to be so itchy to send armed men, to the point of also bother to equipping the search party with modified new VF is also a big hint of something going wrong somewhere in the process.

Most of the hardware involved would be similar to Macross Plus or 7. There's also Zentran/ Meltran hardware you could check them on the website below.

The Macross city with its respective battle-X

VF-11C Super Thunderbolt
VF-17D Nightmare
YF-19 prototpye
Ghost X-9 Fighter

As usual you can link to Macross Mecha Manual in Macross 7 section for more in depth material, courtesy of its respective owners.

Notes:

Looking back at my story sketches I got lots of not combatant characters that vital to the storyline, like mechanics, scientist, archaeology, and of course a singer. That is because eventually they’re going to set up bases in that alien planet and modified machines is really prone to trouble while there would be some research activities going on regarding the alien planet. I think that is enough as a draft, I tried to conceal most of the plot story since they’re yet to be revealed. I don’t want to spoil the surprises.

There would be a lot of fight scene, yeah I like my story like a thriller, it would be done in flying atmospheric condition, jungle terrain, seas and lake side, there’s also few base defence situations and of course space warfare condition. There's also stages when you have to get out from your VF and fight. There are others places but I need to conceal them at this point.

The story got unique improvement special to this macross fleet like materials, spare parts, aircraft... XD , so we don't really stuck to Macross Era technocloy in a sense that we also able to research and produce things on our own. As for character, I'm ready to take almost about any character. Age, background, zentra/meltran, as long as his/her foot could reach the yaw pedal in the cockpit. However, there's a need for team-play in some parts, so make sure the character is not really nasty as I doubt we could make the military to somehow justify selecting that person as pilot.

The starting point would be a notice and adds about military joy-ride and recruitment program in university, education facilities, tv and other medias. That would attract the characters about this. They would learn that the paycheque offered to the newly formed military branch is filthy high compared to standard rate. Of course, there would be high competition like madness to acquire this job, as they only need 20 or so pilots. The first RPG would be training ground that serves like an elimination process. The story arc would be tight so after proving you’re one of the best pilot candidates and get yourself enough training time, the characters will be sent straight into the planet.

Major note: I really don't have the skill, willpower and time to efficiently run the RPG on my own; I rather have Fritz and the trinary to do most of the job with me sharing some responsibilities in running the RPG. Thank you.
Kavik Ryx

By original Universe, does that mean original story, or original AU?
mcred23

lans* wrote:Major note: I really don't have the skill, willpower and time to efficiently run the RPG on my own; I rather have Fritz and the trinary to do most of the job with me sharing some responsibilities in running the RPG. Thank you.
For you, or anyone else who has an idea but doesn't want to run the RPG, you are going have to find someone who will agree to run it come submission time. Plus, I can say with almost total certainty that Fritz isn't interested in taking on anymore work, and I'm not likely to particpate in the next RPG at all (Unless it really grabs me), so you'll either have to try Wedge (As I'm never what what Shemp may say :mrgreen:) or go to someone else who is interested in taking your idea.
Kavik Ryx wrote:By original Universe, does that mean original story, or original AU?
Original AU would be the best way to describe it (And that is how we have in the past). I'm not sure what you mean by original story (Are we every coping stories in here? :P).

Fritz Ashlyn

lans* wrote:Major note: I really don't have the skill, willpower and time to efficiently run the RPG on my own; I rather have Fritz and the trinary to do most of the job with me sharing some responsibilities in running the RPG. Thank you.
You might want to talk to my brother (King Monkey); he's the Macross lover of the two of us. I don't know that he's interested in running a game, but he might help you GM it and get the idea organized. I'll talk to him on Monday and you can send him a PM if you want.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Wedge14

Yeah, Wedge is gonna be sitting this one out. :mrgreen:
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Lans

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:You might want to talk to my brother (King Monkey); he's the Macross lover of the two of us. I don't know that he's interested in running a game, but he might help you GM it and get the idea organized. I'll talk to him on Monday and you can send him a PM if you want.
Well, I could just put this one on the freezer again. I myself don't really think if I can support two RPGs at a time.
The Big Zabowski

Got a somewhat off the wall one here.. laugh at your leisure. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Fixed multiple MS office and gramatical errors.

The Nuclear War

March, 1945

Dear Margret,
I hope you’re alright; We heard about London. To think the Germans had such a weapon is something that struck our boys to the core. Some of the rumors going around the Division say that this wasn’t the first time they’ve used the weapon. That may be why no one has heard from the Eastern front in over a month. We fear that this may mean the Russians are failing and if that’s the case, it would be only a matter of time before more of the US is in danger. ..

It was May 1943. Hitler had just been 'assassinated' by a chance accident involving the crash of his private aircraft. There was hope that the war would be over by the end of the year with preparations for a European invasion now going into full swing. The decisions made following the invasion, though, would backfire with unforeseen consequences for the Allies. Even with the chaos that ensued on the Axis lines, the real surprise came with the decision by the Allied high command to hold in France see if the German war effort would peter out under pressure from local resistance. Though the war did continue with the Nazis seeming to break into factions, something changed with the war effort in early 1944. By April of 1944 that change was revealed when a weapon was deployed that the Nazis had hoped would serve as a stopgap gambit their seemingly hopeless situation.

That weapon was the Atom Bomb.

Though it wasn’t as powerful as initially hoped, the damage was more than sufficent. It was a shock to the world when the first reports of the weapon rose from within the Russian front, and all communication from Moscow had ended immediately thereafter with reports of rampant sickness and death. As the Allies moved to recover from the Normandy fiasco, the shock grew even more when London was wiped off the face of the map, a much larger explosion than had been reported in Russia now being confirmed on camera in the British Isles. It shook the US Commanders in America to the core with the realization that they had been beat with the deployment of a Nuclear weapon in combat.

Fear was said by many to be the rationale for the pulling out of Europe.

With the war tentatively cooling, rebuilding and fortification of the formerly devastated positions in Germany, France, and the British Isles were begun in haste by a newly rekindled Axis war effort. Some Axis politicians lobbied for an armistice, hoping that the American Isolationist movement being rekindled on the North American continent could be an advantage. Maybe, that way, “the world could find some way to coexist?”. They also used the collapse of the Soviet Union under Imperial Japanese and Nazi pressures as a propaganda ploy; the East, seemingly, had reformed itself into a similar ‘United States’ and looked to end the horrid Nuclear War and bring peace among both states.

In the West; South and North America decided that forming a similar union would be a prime defensive measure to counter the new Eastern Threat; quickly annexing the Central American Nations. With the Japanese having essentially halted their expansion with the strain of the Eurasian occupation, Australia and Oceania also took this to their advantage. Quickly moving tofortify what islands they had left, the aligned themselves with the American Coalition and willfully annexed in the following months. Proxy fighting remained in the Pacific and Africa but Japan in the east and France in the west/south set a concrete boundary for the new Eastern Superstate.

With the two new super states functioning as entities in themselves, a massive arms race was started to take advantage of the new Nuclear threat on either side. New nuclear powered Naval fleets became the norm, and Aviation became sleeker, faster, and far more deadly than ever thought possible.

But, the war also had another side to those that weren’t part of the fighting. Smaller nuclear weapons as well as testing of new weapons technologies had taken their toll on the planet. Now in November of 1954 the world was much different than that of a decade prior. The world was colder, as a Nuclear Winter had set in from the use of the weapons and technologies associated with the atomic age. The world population had shrunk due to the strain of war and nuclear fallout. Now the two sides feeling pressed into a corner had one last plan to break out..

The Premise was rather simple: Use a new atomic powered weapon to finish the war started over 15 years ago. That weapon: Powered Armor.

In this game, you the player are a Powered Armor Pilot for the American Army or Eastern Army. A national draft of all men and women from 18 to 40 has been instituted to the General populous of both sides in hopes of ending the war once and for all.

Bio Sheet
Name:
Years served:
Power Armor:
Favorite pinup: lol
Back Story:

Axis Powered Armor:
Assault PA: Mitsubishi Type 314 (2 Man Crew of 1 PC and a Player controlled NPC)
Pursuit PA: Messerschmitt Me-864 (1 man Crew)
Strategic PA: Tupolev Tu-260 (4 man crew of 1 Player and 3 player controlled NPCs)

Allied Powered Armor
Pursuit PA: Grumman FN-9F “Panther” (1 man Crew)
Assault PA: Hawker 75N “Thunderhawk” 2 Man Crew of 1 PC and a Player controlled NPC)
Strategic PA: Boeing BN-44C “Stratobomber” (4 man crew of 1 Player and 3 player controlled NPCs)

The power armor are essentially 1950s stylized versions of the TREAD and other armor from Mospeda and serve the same purpose.
Last edited by The Big Zabowski on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Fritz Ashlyn

I'm going to throw a loose proposition (or two, possibly) out here in the hopes of gettting more original ideas going - I think Zabo's is on the right track actually. Unlike Red and Wedge, I am insane so there's a decent chance I will participate in the next RPG chosen if I like the game picked.

((I have no intention of running this if it gets voted for, so someone will have to volunteer to GM it. It shouldn't be too hard to develop the idea into a game, as a lot of the universe's backstory is irrelevant because it can be a small-scale situation.))

The idea of a permanent installation on the lunar surface seemed reasonable enough to some forward-looking men even as early as the turn of the century - but when a permanent, stable space station was constructed in Earth's orbit in the mid 2120s it was a cause for celebration. Cooperation between UNASA (the United Nations Aeronautics and Space Administration) and several of the world's largest corporations, including the Walton Group and RDS-Chevron, saw the funding and construction of a kilometers-long orbital installation called Heaven. By the 2150s mankind had branched out farther into space, launching from Heaven and Earth to build several self-contained colonies situated in the gravitational Lagrange points and on the moon as well as a science and military installation on the surface of Mars. By 2200 human beings were living on the surface of several planets' moons including Jupiter's Titan with the help of "Habitators", unstable low-output terraforming equipment that allowed for the production of small- to medium-sized installations in close proximity.

Humanity was pleased with itself. On Earth most conflicts had turned into petty, small-scale proxy wars in the remaining 3rd world nations that kept most people content. Overpopulation had been "solved" by regular outbreaks of Influenza and the efforts at space colonization. Then strange and disturbing reports began to trickle in from the outermost human settlements: something completely unknown to humans was spreading, slowly, like a disease, towards the center of the solar system. The first grainy images of the things were unsettling - several still frames recovered from a dead corporate marine's shoulder camera showed an oily black shape dart across the ground and then... nothing. The UN was pressured by its corporate backers to keep the problem a secret; they were rationalized as several unconnected 'incidents' at outer colonies. Accidents with Habitator breakdown, and mass hysteria and outbreaks of violence among colonists were blamed for the losses and they were quietly shuffled out of the public consciousness.

Initially several corporations dispatched their own investigative teams but it soon became clear that the alien life forms, whatever they were, were extremely hostile and could not be reasoned with or safely captured. Described by survivors as large, black masses covered with patches of eyes, the aliens were deadly to anyone that came near an infested area unprepared. Even with heavy equipment several corporate teams were wiped out after landing in infested colonies, and it became clear that 'cleaning' a colony was only a viable option in very rare circumstances. Casualty rates in infested areas was over 90%, even with government assistance. Halting the spread of the aliens seemed like a futile effort at ground level on the effected moons - nuking a site from orbit was the only way to be sure.

Still, the main business sponsors of the infested areas were interested in studying the aliens. Outright extermination of the beings and keeping the incidents quiet was bleeding the corporations of capital and resources, and if a profitable solution could be found it would solve the problem. The UN gave tacit approval for an attempt to study the aliens, and two months later in late 2214 a Walton Group supply ship was 'accidentallly' diverted from an infested area of space to the colonies on Titan. Within a week all contact with the facility and colonists on Titan was lost.

This RPG would begin as a small group of ships are arriving at the moon Titan to investigate the loss of contact with the colony there. In addition to a UNASA vessel with UN soldiers and personnel there would be a couple of smaller corporate ships carrying corporate marines and scientists. The stated goal of the mission is to find out what happened on Titan, as the UN has not officially recognized the alien attacks and the corporations have not made their real intentions public. The corporate teams accompanying the mission should try to collect data and live specimens if possible to determine if any profit can come from the life forms. All players would be humans, so the GM (and possible assistants) would be in charge of controlling the aliens.

The aliens are more or less mindless engines of destruction that are referred to as "inhabitors". Comparable to the unholy offspring of one of Lovecraft's shoggoths and the Xenomorphs from "Alien", they are large pulsating masses of darkness covered with eyes and tendrils that they can turn into deadly spikes and crude manipulators. They will feed on humans, but that isn't the worst they are capable of - some humans are infected with the aliens' offspring and will behave like what humans would call fast-moving zombies. Killing one of the infected will also kill the juvenile inside them, but in rare cases it will free the inhabitor which can then attack on its own. They infest human installations, living in ventilation systems and dark areas until they can build a nest once human resistance is mostly removed.

So what makes this a mecha RPG? The players would be part of 3 or 4 different groups: UN Soldiers/personnel, two different corporate teams, and possibly survivors on Titan. The UN and the corporate marines alike use powered armor comparable to Gears from Heavy Gear or the suits used in the Starship Troopers novel. The suits allow one alert human to take on several inhabitors at once with relative ease, but there are not enough of them to equip every soldier with one. The rest of the marines are stuck moving on foot with small arms, but working in teams they are more than capable of taking on inhabited humans, and with appropriate firepower and skill they can kill inhabitors though it is extremely dangerous.

I will leave it to the GM to design the powered suits, but it shouldn't be too hard. The UN should have more suits available for their marines, but they are not high quality models like the corporate teams are using - they have weaker weapons and thinner armor. The corporate teams, representing the Walton Group and RDS-Chevron (or a different corp, up to the GM... perhaps Ultor or Weyland-Yutani? :P) will have better powered armor but less of the suits to go around, but at least their marines stuck on the ground will have better personal armor and small arms. The ratio of suits to on foot for the UN and the corps should be something like 70:30 and 40:60 respectively.

Not all PCs have to be combat-oriented. I'd like to see a game like this run with as much suspense and scary situations as gun-emptying combat. Some of the players should be corporate scientists trying to make sure their own sponsor can get something out of the situation, and there can be civilian survivors on Titan's surface. The humans work together in theory, but things may get nasty depending on how profit-oriented the corporate teams get. In short, think of a big mix of "Aliens" and "Shin Getter Robo Armageddon" with mecha suitable for Heavy Gear. I'd like to see some behind-the-scenes corporate backstabbing to go with the "GAME OVER, MAN! GAME OVER!" combat going on against the inhabitors. I don't think it would be too difficult to set up and it could be pretty interesting if done right.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Kavik Ryx

Being a first time, might as well go with something conservative.

New Mobile Century Gundam X: Lost Numbers

With the 7th space war dragging on, both sides through everything they had at each other. And for the soldiers of the UNE, nothing was more devastating than watching countless colonies fall to Earth. Haunted by what they had saw, the soldiers of Earth were consumed by a collective rage, bringing ruin to each and every colony they could see. Then, two weeks later, they simply vanished, but not before bringing about the deaths of 8 billion spacenoids. And now, 13 years later, what ended then, is ready to start once more.

AW 13, amongst the ruins of L4 are three colonies. The first is Kaphre, a small colony lead by former SRA general Esteban Soze. Believing that a lack of unity and obsessive faith in newtypes lead to the tragedies of the war, Soze is determined to bring the remaining colonies together under the thumb of a powerful military state. However, while he can keep his own people in line, he lacks the resources to expand his sphere of control. And this is where the second colony, Sundial, comes into the works.

It is a poor and dismal colony. No food, no resources, and not even the strong can maintain authority over their own territory. Those who are smart, leave as soon as they can. Many join up with the scavenger organization Raven, emigrants from Sundial who vow to abandon their home. And it is the Ravens who grab the attention of Soze. Knowing the group has the man and willpower to satisfy the early parts of his ambitions, he hires them at a high price to acquire abandoned war technology, and just as importantly, guarantee them not falling into the hands of the Gulls.

Holding virtual control over the relatively less dismal colony Trinidad, the Gulls are a ruthless team of scavengers, who make sure at all costs that no other faction gains any more power over another. They are under command by a duet of lovers Kei Yu Wan and Nadia Sadat, armed with a series of modified G-bits capable of human use, and willing to sell to anyone, so long as they are only so powerful. But their now frequent conflicts with the Ravens has led them to ancient technology, scrapped projects, and a force even deadlier than themselves.

13 years ago, the UNE did not simply destroy in a blind rage, but rather were under the influence of the newtype Van Argentium. In the ensuing slaughter, he witnessed a vision which implied that none of his men would survive the next battle, a prediction, which would turn out true when those who ignored his warnings were decimated in an embarrassing defeat. Van may have been the angriest of them all as he could "hear" his entire family slowly dying horrible deaths. But even he had the foresight to understand that his revenge would need time to come to light. And little over a decade later, has the power to rise again, utilizing his very own mass produced Gundams, Yggdrasil, otherwise known as Gundam Y.

With so much to live for, yet so much to kill with, the will of powerful individuals are soon to clash, leaving no one out of harm's way.

The story begins as a Raven search group becomes mixed up with Kaphre security. As payback for a small ensuing series of embarrassing events, the team's captain agrees to round up never-used Mobile Armors from a drifting SRA carrier. It just so happens that the Gulls are just as interested in the loot.

Factions/Suits

Kaphre/Raven (Separate, but allied)
Daugtap
Daughtress (Including command and weapon)
Jenice
Octape

Gulls
DX-Bit (GX): Pilot ready GX bit with its own power source, and a secondary cannon.
CT-Bit (GT): Pilot ready GT bit with an additional missile launcher and a rail gun.
AU-Bit (GW): Polot rady GW bit with upgraded weaponry and grappling binders

The Survivors (UNE soldiers)
Yggdrasil (Based upon design of Gundam Belphagor): Non-Newtype MP Gundam capable of various equipment for varied tactical purposes. Similar to the Strike, but not with backpacks.
Last edited by Kavik Ryx on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziryab

I just have a barebones idea. With obvious need of assistance, I'm offering up a mecha with racing RPG. Kinda like IGPX I guess, if you've seen it. FAER IT! :P

At first I was think of it being small scale, street level sort of racing. Confined to no more than two cities at most. Mecha ranging in size from motorcycles (transformable perhaps?) to a large as a limo-humvee or a tank (mainly police units).

But looking over some of the other ideas, I'm beginning to think that players might want something larger scale. So I guess it might turn into an Earth-sized Cannonball Run, likely with a space elevator turned raceway as your starting and ending points along with low with the legal use of weapons. Mecha being as small as a motorcycle to maybe a small mobile armor or something.

I mainly want this to be something kinda short, a few months of play. Mainly because I have next to nothing for an overarching, long-term storyline. In-game the story could take anywhere between a few days and maybe a month at most.

Other than organizing something solid (I faer!), finding a story, deciding on stats and mecha styles--the greatest drawback I'm having with this idea is how to get players to interact with one another which is a great concern for me.

And if it doesn't get chosen this time around, then anyone who wants to can still discuss it with me for the next time or come up with something of their own around this concept.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
EZero8

Ok... I've actually got a couple of ideas. This one came a lot later than I intended, but I finally remembered to post it up. It still needs some work.
Lunar Mobile Frame Gundam: Dominion's Rise

Sixty years ago, the evolution of technology led the mankind into a new era. A new infinite power source that harnesses clean solar energy had been developed, stabilizing countries around the globe and making atomic nuclear energy obsolete. Resource satellites are later brought into Earth’s orbit to provide enormous amounts of useable metals and minerals. Colonization on the Moon is made possible from the industrial and economic boom, with plans to colonize Mars in development. Foreign disputes ceased worldwide, and eventually an agreement was made to unify all nations under the power of one centralized government. It seemed that universal peace had finally been obtained after centuries of conflict. A new calendar is raised to commemorate this monumental event; this period would be known as the Dominion Era.

It is D.E. 059; fifty-nine years have passed since peace was established under the United Earth-Nations Federation. With the founding fathers of this alliance retiring from public view, the government is currently run by new blood. Amongst them are sons and daughters of the once celebrated sovereign elite. In their meteoric rise to power, this ambitious group shamelessly promotes their avid fascination for Victorian-era aristocracy. Holding lavish balls and luxurious tea parties, this society captivates the population with vintage living. This fever for classical living only grew more popular as society conformed to these values.

By taking powerful political offices and directing the masses, the new breed’s grasp on the Earth Sphere strengthens. The Federation is renamed the Utopian Earth Nobility Dominion to mark another new era for the new generation. Standards and lifestyle became much more strict and proper. Men and women both face massive changes to their daily roles and fairy-tale personalities emerged. Even the Victorian-style of dress and speech became common. Detractors to the “tea party regime” immigrated to the Moon colonies, where Dominion influence was minimal at best. As a result, the Moon became a place for diverse cultures and individualism. In a much more relaxed atmosphere the people did as they pleased, but within reason.

As the Moon’s population grew, the Dominion began to exercise increased control over the lunar territories. However, the lack of direct authority made it easy for liberal extremists to lay the seeds of rebellion. The Moon became a production facility for building and testing new weapons to arm a revolution. But before long, the projects were discovered and subsequently confiscated by the U.E.N.D. To prepare for a potential uprising, the Dominion builds up a standing military with ease using the data confiscated from the rebels. Meanwhile, the loss of their first “Mobile Weapon” design plan only increased the lunar society’s motivation for independence. Another project is launched and developed more discreetly this time to form a perfected design concept.

Fast forward to D.E. 060: the Moon’s dissent has reached a boiling point. The U.E.N.D. had increasingly restricted the rights of the lunar colonists to discourage rebellion, but these measures only triggered the opposite effect. Proclaiming themselves the Lunar Protectorate, a rebel military group based on the Moon declares war against the U.E.N.D. The Dominion reacts to the hostility by deploying the AMD-006 Dominion Pawn, an Armored Module based on the Protectorate’s original design concepts. With their superior numbers, the Dominion military sends out several fleets into space to invade the Moon, seeking a quick victory. Though unprepared to roll out their own Mobile Weapon, the Protectorate responds with their defense forces consisting of gunboats and space fighters. The first battle ends with devastating losses for both sides; the Protectorate’s superior anti-fleet defenses perfectly matched the Dominion’s massive attack strength and numerical advantage. With the initial skirmishes leading to disastrous results, the war reaches a stalemate.

Months pass since the start of the rebellion. Attempting to break the stalemate, both sides have begun to wage territorial warfare, collecting surrounding resource satellites and initiating invasion operations. The Protectorate finally deploys their first Mobile Frame, the LMF-01 Raptor, to combat the Pawn. Armed to challenge the U.E.N.D. at last, the Protectorate sends out their MS teams to engage enemy fleets. Meanwhile, the Dominion pushes onwards in their goal to retake control of the Protectorate territories and to reassert their philosophy to the “uncultured” remains of mankind.
Mobile weapons will be battery powered and will have to operate under gravity. There will be no beam weapons per-say; the closest thing will be weapons similar to the plasma swords from 00. As such, expect to fight using machineguns and bazookas mostly.

--

The other idea I had was just taking the A.D. calendar from 00 and making an alternate reality where Celestial Being does not exist. There will be a three-way territorial war between the Union, AEU, and HRL. People can use Flags, Enacts, Tierens, etc.
mcred23

Minor change in the timetable.

Instead of starting the submissions now, and the poll this weekend, we are bumping everything back a little bit to give everyone more time to discuss and work out their ideas and all that good stuff. The current plan is we'll start submissions at some point this weekend (Likely late Saturday/early Sunday) and run into the middle of the week (Leaning towards Wednesday). So, keep an eye out for when I make the post telling you people to flood my PM inbox. 8)

Kavik Ryx

Wait. Wasn't posting in this thread the equivalent of submitting? Or is there more bureaucracy to the whole thing?
SNT1

Can anyone give a shred of guarantee that these proposed RPGs, if selected, will last more than a couple of months? I'm looking at the proposals and I'm already counting out the ones proposed by people that don't visit Mechatalk as much to be running an RPG. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but quite a bit of failed RPGs (and the last 3 that failed) resulted in their GMs or any important Player with important PCs going MIA for extended periods without warning and leaving the rest to go about and small-talk each other in-game. Also, the only 2 other successful RPGs besides TftF weren't very restrictive about players and their mecha; in TARRRPG You can choose most mecha without apocalyptic abilities, and G-Gundam RPG let players create their own Gundams.

Sorry if this sounds pessimistic...
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/