Special 004 - Gundamn! @ Yasumicon 2009!!!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Red Comet90

Re: Special 004 - Gundamn! @ Yasumicon 2009!!!

Vent Noir wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote: It should have been because that guy was the definition of a troll. His voice even reminded me of Chris's troll impersonations. :lol:
No, a troll is someone who sets out to intentionally annoy people. I never got the impression that that was his objective. Of course, I'm no fan of 00 either...
I'm pretty sure that was that guy's intention. I was there. He gave off the troll vibe from the first moment I saw him and he just wanted all the attention to himself and hated on everything.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Vent Noir

hawk of endymion wrote: The money-back guarantee comment was Soul Bro putting his foot in his mouth about how good 00 was.
Yeah, I was just kidding... although it would be nice.

Also... I didn't like what I'd seen/heard about Transformers 2 and decided not to bother with it, but from the description of movie Arcee, is she something like Volfogg from Gaogaigar?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
skyknight

Just to want to make sure one thing is clear,

I am not a Michael Bay hater, in fact I enjoyed watching the Rock ("Losers always say they did their best...") and the Island, and got some cheesy laughs at the Bad Boys series. No doubt Bay can make the films that can entertain the mass audience.

But given the massive "cult" following of Transformers, I was hoping many would compete for the directing and story-writing (ala production), instead of a one-time done deal from one company to another. I mean what would the storyline been had it been Peter Jackson or James Cameron at the helm? I won't make any further arguments on this.

I did enjoy the first Transformers, and when I said the experience of me watching RotF is very similar to CG:R2, I am not trashing neither RotF nor CG:R2. In both cases, I felt the first installment was stronger than the second.

On Gundam 00, let's just put that "Money Back Guarantee" behind us, and simply ask, is the experience of watching Gundam 00 the same as watching Gundam Wing? Are the two just the same, or is one better than the other (in reasonable terms)?

Why am I asking this, well let's hope someone is in the shoes of North American division of Bandai Ent., if people just simply label 00 as a rehashed Wing and doesn't want to see it, then what's the motivation for Bandai release more Gundam series? I know there will be disagreements on every Gundam series, but if nobody is satisfied with the latest Gundam series, how could they be interested in other un-release Gundam series (X, Turn-A, Victory...)?
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
wielder

Fun show. The troll was a little annoying, but otherwise looks like everyone had a good time.
skyknight wrote: I did enjoy the first Transformers, and when I said the experience of me watching RotF is very similar to CG:R2, I am not trashing neither RotF nor CG:R2. In both cases, I felt the first installment was stronger than the second.
You could say that about a lot of sequels.

For me, the difference would be that I had no intention of ever seeing Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, at least not until someone bought me a ticket (surprisingly), and currently have no intention of ever doing so again (unless it's late and there's nothing on TV). Not the worst thing ever, but not something I really want to spend money on. It was alright for a Hollywood action blockbuster, no more and no less.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first Transformers movie either. It wasn't bad and I definitely know a straight adaptation of the show wouldn't have worked, not to mention that you can't compete against something as irrational as nostalgia, but some of the decisions they made didn't really work for me. They still didn't work out in RotF, so that's that. I'm just glad the franchise will survive and that's it.

On the other hand, I have no issues with re-watching Code Geass R2. I did so easily while the dub was airing and came out reasonably satisfied, regardless of any particular problems that made the second season not as good as the original. I can see myself watching it an additional number of times, just not for some months / years. In fact, I'm busy trying to reduce my non-mecha backlog right now.
Why am I asking this, well let's hope someone is in the shoes of North American division of Bandai Ent., if people just simply label 00 as a rehashed Wing and doesn't want to see it, then what's the motivation for Bandai release more Gundam series? I know there will be disagreements on every Gundam series, but if nobody is satisfied with the latest Gundam series, how could they be interested in other un-release Gundam series (X, Turn-A, Victory...)?
Actually, there seems to be a fair number of people who like 00 because of the real or imagined Wing vibe it gives them. I wouldn't exactly agree, there are more differences than similarities overall, but even that can also be considered a positive, when you look at how popular Wing was in the first place. Sharing just a bit of that appeal doesn't seem too bad. I'd say it's even a boost.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

skyknight wrote:Just to want to make sure one thing is clear,

I am not a Michael Bay hater, in fact I enjoyed watching the Rock ("Losers always say they did their best...") and the Island, and got some cheesy laughs at the Bad Boys series. No doubt Bay can make the films that can entertain the mass audience.

But given the massive "cult" following of Transformers, I was hoping many would compete for the directing and story-writing (ala production), instead of a one-time done deal from one company to another. I mean what would the storyline been had it been Peter Jackson or James Cameron at the helm? I won't make any further arguments on this.

I did enjoy the first Transformers, and when I said the experience of me watching RotF is very similar to CG:R2, I am not trashing neither RotF nor CG:R2. In both cases, I felt the first installment was stronger than the second.
I'm not accusing you of being a Michael Bay hater. I'm just tired of hearing the first thing out of someone's mouth when it comes to issues with Transformers 2, "oh its Michael Bay". I believe too many people couldn't accept that Bay did a great job with the first movie, so when there were missteps with the second, the fans were ready to pounce.
In regards to Jackson and Cameron, whoa, people thought 2 was long with Jackson there would be two intermissions needed. Cameron? The first movie would still be in production.
At the time, when the first movie was announced, Bay was the best choice to do something like it.
Lastly, the fandom has to realize that with all the live actions adaptions coming, these movies have to appeal to the mass audience. These movies have to do big, because they cost so much to produce. I think the die hard fans have to be a lot more open minded and relaxed when it comes to these live action adaptions. Just like the new Star Trek, Transformers 2 is not rewriting the history of Transformers, just another take on the story.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Furious Rodimus

Liked the panel guys! Really good sound quality and volume all the way through.

ROTF still makes me wonder as a Transformers fan, but in some ways M-Bay still seems like the way to go. I thought about Jackson until I watched King Kong and was bored to tears by the CGI gorilla tossing GCI cars around. No doubt he can tell a good story, but some of his KK actions scenes were lame. Joss Whedon could make an interesting choice given his work on Firefly. Speilberg would be cool too.

Truth be told I think its the writers that should be shipped out. They've had their turn and told their story(-ies?) but it would be nice to see some fresh blood, and preferably someone who has worked in-universe (Simon Furman of UK/US comics fame comes to mind, although IDW's new hot shot Nick Roche [Spotlight: Kup] could also do a bang up job) to fill at least an advisory role on characters, world and such.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
NastyNate

Enjoyed the panel it was funny. I would like to mention that in transformers 2 I felt the same way about how the humans seemed to be much more powerful. But someone did point out to me that it could be because after the first movie they discovered the transformers weekness are sabo rounds. And they had been acaustumed to fighting them since the begining of the movie.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Kaioshin Sama

Since there's a lot of talk about Gundam 00 and also for posterity's sake I felt I'd mention that I've finally fit 00 into my AU series rankings. It comes in at about 3rd place behind Turn A and G Gundam thanks in large part to it's portrayal of a very possible future (if you delve into string theory and the idea of Out of Place artifacts as a catalyst for widespread technological revolution). See while some people were complaining about the lack of character development and romance etc. (which was a bit weak, but a self-destructive aspect of the show to obsess over) I was greatly enjoying Gundam 00 from a theoretical standpoint on the Macro level, which I'm fairly certain now is how it's meant to be viewed, because otherwise it's true that it doesn't really work as well as other Gundam series. It's a show about society, government, science, technology and war, and as a science fiction piece succeeded beyond my expecations. It brought (if just for a little bit) the concept of science fiction anime back to where I preferred it before Evangelion's popular formula forced mecha anime to be all about character focus/struggle and little else for so long, which is alright, but gets old eventually. However Gundam 00 took Sci-Fi and Gundam back to it's roots (and I know people will disagree with this, but then they probably aren't looking at it from the viewpoint I am) and built up something new. In time hopefully the disappointed people will come to see that 00 is absolutely nothing like Gundam Wing at even it's most base level and in fact has more in common with U.C's style of presentation then arguably any other A.U besides X, but first they have to stop being so damn superficial (i.e stop obsessing over the idea that the characters are pretty boys and pay more attention to what they do, not how they look for starters). If not....well.....I suppose it's their choice.
manmiles

I have my issues with RotF, Big, big issues, but to be honest, it isn't as if Transformers is some sort of pinnacle of mature sci-fi.

Also, in the end, it's a film, I thought it was terrible, but people enjoyed it and that's the main thing. Movies come and go, but life goes on.
jroy1117

Loved the podcast cant wait for the haters panel. Ok i could also go on and on about the Transformers movie. But all i am going to say is what revenge did the fallen get? in other words the movie has the wrong name. And about Gundam 00 my two cents is that the show is sweet if for no other reason then Ali Al-Saachez. :D

*breaking news* Look what i found on youtube. Its your Sanbot (or whatever its name was) friend. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktROhwT0I9Q
I Want You for the War on: U.C. Puritans, Wing Jihadists, and Seed Zealots.

"Veni, vidi, Deus Vicit"
Soul Bro Ryu

The Hater's Panel is finally here!

Peep the thread!
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11899

Hope you guys dig it ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
CanadaMan

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:The Hater's Panel is finally here!

Peep the thread!
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11899

Hope you guys dig it ^_^
Been waiting for this ...
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Mu La Flaga

So hate to do some dead thread reviving, BUT I recently found this thread thanks to SBR linking it and I realized I never downloaded this special episode.

So now I have and listened to it, rather interesting 30th Anniversary discussion.

But for me the more interesting thing to hear was thoughts on ROTF.
I mean the movie to me has so many flaws and bad parts to it, however I don't totally hate its exsistance but it ranks pretty lowly.

I did find it interesting with some of the points and yeah there are some Transformer fans who do focus on the G1 aspect too hard.

And in a movie series like this as I have discussed with 1-2 friends, there could have been more done with this, but there was just so many other elements which drag the movie down.

I mean obviously they picked up in Dark of the moon, but yeah.
I might go in to more detail, but at the same time I might do that in the Transformers General discussion thread I made for the reason to promote Transformers talk on all the various incarnations that are out there.