Ep. 036 - Final Destination

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Vent Noir

Re: Ep. 036 - Final Destination

Top Gear is a British show nominally about cars, although the content is really best described as "three guys faffing about", and their personalities are what really makes the show worth watching. They get up to some amazing stuff... for example, testing the toughness of a Toyota Hilux by driving it down stone steps, into a tree, through a shed, parking it on the shore and letting the tide come in, dropping a caravan on it, hitting it with a wrecking ball, setting it on fire, and putting it on top of a block of flats that were set then demolished!
Spoiler
It still started.
I've never owned a car, and the hosts' enthusiasm is still infectious. And if you can appreciate a cool mecha, you can probably appreciate a cool car too.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Hyakushiki

I remember that episode, The Truck That Would Not Die! its final resting place is a pedestal in their studio. Ironically I listened to this episode again yesterday and this weekend at Otakon they have a fan panel about Anime Craziest Deaths I'm thinking of checking it out.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
T.V.

Perhaps Toyota uses Luna-Titanium for their nigh indestructible Hi-Luxes..

*ahem*
For all your TopGear needs, there's an official TopGear Youtube Channel.

Btw, I think SBR is a better fit for Jason Dawe, from the 2002 season.
The way Jeremy and Hamster picked on him ever so often, plus his cheerful attitude despite that make me think that at least.

Btw, ep36 is another amusing episode guys!
Almost couldn't tell when you transitioned from hilarious to gruesome deaths a few times though. :P

Looking forward to the Yasumicon episode. :)
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Demon Lord of L5 wrote:Destiny Gundam = Top Gear Dog
I've never heard of this show you're talking about, so I have no idea if I should be flattered or insulted.
Well, the Top Gear Dog never listens and was described as useless on a few occassions.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

exactly hence DG Should be remarked as TG (the abrieviated term for top gear dog

Also Jason is a very savy man so don't compare SBR to him its Top Gear Stunt man and nothing else
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
Destiny_Gundam

Does this mean I get to pee on your legs and leave 'surprises' on your lawns?

At the very least I can frollic with the lolis without getting in trouble :lol:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
ZeroBusterXX

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Does this mean I get to pee on your legs and leave 'surprises' on your lawns?

At the very least I can frollic with the lolis without getting in trouble :lol:

I think that the only response I have is: Thank God your first name and location are in the podcast!

I'm just kidding, thanks for being a good sport, Destiny_Gundam.
Orgun

Just finally caught up with episodes 35 & 36, another couple of great episodes guys but I gobsmacked that in the Dunbine and Death segments that there was still no mention of Zambot 3!!

I've heard this show dimissed as 'silly' on the podcast before, but you are so wrong. Years before Ideon and Dunbine 'Kill'em All' Tomino was slaughtering people horribly every episode in Zambot 3. Yes Daitarn 3 is a silly Super Robot show but ZAmbot 3 is anything but.

The episode where Butcher turns people into human bombs is horrible and when Zappei's girlfriend Aki blows up on on the Biel I was left physically speechless, it is quite possibly the most gruesome death I've seen in any anime.

This show really has to stop being overlooked as it is a key show in Tomino's early career.

Any way great podcast and keep up the good work guys. :D
Check out my anime reviews at:

iansanimearchive.blogspot.com
Sume Gai

Orgun wrote:This show really has to stop being overlooked as it is a key show in Tomino's early career.
AMEN.

This was the very show that gave Tomino his "Kill 'em All" nickname. I don't remember it being dismissed as silly, per say, but It sounded like none of them had seen it.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Does this mean I get to pee on your legs and leave 'surprises' on your lawns?
that happens, off to doggie boot camp with you.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

Or Dog Borstal

quick observation have you not noticed this thread has turn from Gundamn@MAHQ to Top Gear@MAHQ
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
Vent Noir

Back onto deaths, I've just been rewatching Tekkaman Blade, and, while I remember being very much affected by Miyuki's death, I didn't remember how much of a sadistic bastard Evil was (admittedly, they toned that down for Teknoman). Him pinning her against the wall and torturing her was spine-chilling...
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
NastyNate

Great episode guys. One anime death that still haunts me is in samurai 7.
Spoiler
The part when Katsushiro trys to shoot the bandit and kills Kyuzo instead!!!
I just about jumped out of my chair when that one happened.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Red Comet90

NastyNate wrote:Great episode guys. One anime death that still haunts me is in samurai 7.
Spoiler
The part when Katsushiro trys to shoot the bandit and kills Kyuzo instead!!!
I just about jumped out of my chair when that one happened.
That one was really really bad. I didn't even see it coming. The most heroic death in that show though goes to
Spoiler
Kikucho. He died pushing back the giant airship. He was my favorite so seeing him go like that was horrible, but he couldn't have had a "better" death IMO
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
GundamMaker01

Another death from Outlaw Star that is both humorous and sad is Hot Ice Hilda's. It's a shame to see such a kick-butt character die so early on but, it's kinda funny to see the pirate chick fruitlessly fight while being pulled into the gravity well of a star. Star: 1. Pirate Chick: 0.
I can't stand the weak; They're always nervous about when they'll be next attacked. They can't trust anybody and they never have an opinion of their own. I can't stand such people!

"Hey Nicol! Batter Up!!!" - Kira Yamato

hawk of endymion

forgot about Samurai 7, they are some bad deaths in that one. Guess another we missed was the poor ship crew in Meagazone 23 number 2.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Wellman

GundamMaker01 wrote:Another death from Outlaw Star that is both humorous and sad is Hot Ice Hilda's. It's a shame to see such a kick-butt character die so early on but, it's kinda funny to see the pirate chick fruitlessly fight while being pulled into the gravity well of a star. Star: 1. Pirate Chick: 0.
Actually if I remember right, she died either buying time for or/and saving the Outlaw Star. So I wouldn't call it fruitless.
GundamMaker01

i meant the kei pirate girl that Hilda strapped herself to. 2 people were sucked into a star.
I can't stand the weak; They're always nervous about when they'll be next attacked. They can't trust anybody and they never have an opinion of their own. I can't stand such people!

"Hey Nicol! Batter Up!!!" - Kira Yamato

Mu La Flaga

Just saying good episode the Deaths part was the highlight for especially for funny deaths like Jamican, I have never seen Zeta but that sounds so funny that the original Captain of Alexandria complained after the bridge got blasted earlier, of course it aint going tol look the same.
Imprint of Jamican on the hull/bulkhead somewhere :P

Also the horrifying death which Neo turned funny was the GENESIS and Cyclops stuff from SEED.
"Once you pop you can't stop"
I thought the same thing before I ever saw the Gundamn podcast, so it wasn't just me.

Not to mention this is where "Troll Wreck" came from :P