VR7's New Artwork Thread

The place to share your artwork.
VR7

Re: VR7's New Artwork Thread

Some progress.

I actually did read ydawg's comment, don't know if I quite got it though. I tried increasing the size of the ball on some of the head studies to see if that helped.
-noel
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

nailed the head size. on the same head (I'm sorry I only see one you adjusted and that's the one furthest to the right) you'll have to make the hair not follow the line of the ball so close -ah sounds wierd but I hope you know what I mean. like wise the entire head could move forward some so the neck connects further back on the skull.

With the colors I guess most of my questions about her outfit ealier are answered, the jacket and pants appear seperate now. any rate I got two questions, her body suit, does it include the goves or are the gloves seperate and that is their cuffs? the jacket sleaves end right past the elbow or wrist? and the purpose of the belt on the abdomen/jacket?
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
VR7

wonder how late this response is

The jacket sleeves end at the wrist. The gloves will most likely be part of the suit, though they're not exactly the same pitch black colour as her suit. (neck and abdomen)

The belt originally was to hold her backpack in the older design. It's probably redundant now, but I kept it anyway.
-noel
crashlegacy14

I still like the other design (skirt and back pack) more since it made her more unique at a glance. and still hold to the idea that her back pack while realitvely hard to reach would have been a great place for her to store an oxygen tank.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
VR7

little something i made

I did a spraypaint of SD Pelly for HL2/TF2/CS:S...

It's a bit blurrier than I expected though.
-noel
crashlegacy14

+10 dude seriously.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
VR7

Just a friendly reminder that I'm still around.

I've been mostly just been practicing different things, including some boring non-anime stuff, making new Photoshop brushes, etc.. None of which I've posted. This was supposed to be one of those entries, but then I got bored and felt like posting it somewhere.

I like how Crimson turned out, I'll probably use that face for him. Thetis is just an idea I'm currently playing with.

One of the books I have on my list of stuff to read is a book on drawing transforming mecha.
-noel
Ryujin

I have to say, good job on how you handled the character interactions in those sketches.
crashlegacy14

people need to stop peeing in crimson's coffee so the guy can lighten up. thetls' barrret/hair odiment looks like something out of seed -sorry had to say it. I do how ever love the contrast between her and WR. +10 points if they are sisters.

-oh and I'm still around. kinda.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
VR7

crashlegacy14 wrote:people need to stop peeing in crimson's coffee so the guy can lighten up.
Ha.

http://vr7.deviantart.com/art/xa-47g-artemis-130107725

Here's my first foray in designing a transformable mecha. Still rather incomplete, the fighter is only a basic outline of what I want it to look like in fighter mode.
-noel
ydawg314

both look really cool but I say that you make the fighter look less like a jet and more like a "gundam"esk waverider. This would make its existence seem more plausible. But I guess that's just my opinion.
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
crashlegacy14

man if that doesn't screem "the cockpit is right here." I have to admit it's better then the nose of the fighter pointing down and making up most of the pelvice. obviously you'll need to do drawing of the mecha's back and the fighter udnerside to really sell the transformation as right now I don't really "feel" it being the same unit.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
VR7

Looking back at it again, I'm not liking how it turned out anymore. I tried playing with the sketch a bit more but it turned out like complete garbage. I'm probably going to have to start from scratch for the third time.

It's probably because I am very, very terrible with transforming mecha. You guys happen to have any pointers?
-noel
domino

ydawg314 wrote:both look really cool but I say that you make the fighter look less like a jet and more like a "gundam"esk waverider. This would make its existence seem more plausible. But I guess that's just my opinion.

I think this is a great pointer!

Consider whether the mecha's primary function is as a fighter or as a mecha or is evenly split. From there, consider what weapons need to be available in each mode. For instance, if its primary function is a fighter then it won't need beam sabers...or will it?.....or will the beam sabers double as beam cannons? The Arios is mostly a mobile suit and its transformation is tailored to allow it to easily switch to MS mode.

I suggest getting creative with the fighter mode.
crashlegacy14

adding to what domino said, doest the mecha have to shead any hard point weaponry (msssiles/bombs) when it transforms, if not is the weapons still abel to be use or are they jsut bagage?

how many of its weapon systems are avaiable during both modes? for example a primary machine cannon can double as the fighters nose gun.

the fighter and mecha forms likely share thruster systems, how does this effect the different forms mobility?
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

(Oh boy. These response sprees are terrible. I'm losing steam here.)

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149 ... Raven5.jpg

This is very good work. I especially like how you did the folds on her pants; it's a very good display of torsion. The lines on her undersuit also look very nice. This is just me, but I suggest using a lighter brown for the main component of her suit than the one you have now. But I guess this is territory where we'll have a difficult time distinguishing from the color of her equipment.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149 ... ySpray.jpg

I'm not too familiar with this stuff, but this is graffiti you put on someone's wall in a game, right? I admit, that's very fun to do, and your elaborate work on it is admirable. I also tend to leave a bit of "graffiti" around school on random chalkboards I'm not supposed to be writing on. (The TA abuses his power, haha.) You remember what my emblem looks like on ACfA, right?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149 ... odles2.jpg

O_O Watch the hell out for that lady! Thetis has the crazy eyes. These judo throws look excellent. I should study how to draw that stuff, too! (And I should, considering how much I love martial arts.) I love how she punched that guy. Right in the face!! What sort of project was she in? Do you think you could dig that up for us to see? =)

http://vr7.deviantart.com/art/xa-47g-artemis-130107725

Hmm. I'll admit very quickly that I'm terrible with transforming mecha. Nobody realizes, but it's exceptionally hard! Like I once told my friend who was having trouble: "It's hard because you're trying to make a man into a plane." Artemis is a good attempt though. Is Pelly there just for size comparison, or is she the pilot? =)

I'll have to say that I don't like how the torso looks, especially the waist section. Those hexagons are a little unusual to me. You should play around with that more and you'll find something that works. What weirds me out about it is I can't figure how the nose of the plane suddenly sits on the rest of this torso. Your diagrams must make sense to you, VR, but I personally can't make heads or tails of it. Looking at the plane design, I can't figure where anything comes from.

I guess your design choices could depend a little on the available technology in AS. Can the figure remold itself in transformation, and not keep the same literal geometry between forms? Can sections detach themselves in transformation and then reattach in a different area for the other form?

Like the others, I recommend reconsidering the balance between the two forms for the unit. Where does the emphasis go? I think the waverider dealy is too common, so I recommend emphasizing the jet mode instead. (My impression is that you like planes much more anyhow.) To do that, make the jet mode seem more emphasized, and have the humanoid mode be a bit scaled back or awkward. It makes the transformation much more agreeable. I suppose the Vic Viper from ZOE2 is a good example. Pelly is a bit of an oddball, so I can see her flying an unusual looking humanoid frame.

As for weapons, internalized ones can help avoid transformation difficulties.

By the way, VR. You mention a lot of books that you study. Not a lot of us get to do this formally in the same way you are. Do you think you could mention some of the books you are reading if you happen to like them? That would make me very happy. =)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
VR7

It was an old school project that dates well over a year ago, it wasn't terribly good though. It was part of a series of multiple digital paintings, and was probably the last thing I ever did in Painter before I went back to Photoshop.

Pelly's stick figure is there both for size comparison and because yes, she is the pilot.

In terms of books, it's not exactly that formal. Some of the books I've read include entries from the How to Draw Manga series, which are actually useful resources for drawing. I didn't collect all the books though, just the ones that interested me most. (i.e. martial arts, inking lineart, military, unforgettable characters, all about perspective) I also picked up non-anime books like Drawing Dynamic Hands and Drawing Scenery: landscapes and seascapees by Jack Hamm. You can order these books online on Amazon, but they don't stock them in high numbers.

There's also a How to Draw Manga volume on mecha. Never ordered it though.

Generally they aren't mandatory readings, but when it comes to little things they're much more in depth than most online tutorials.
-noel
crashlegacy14

I've got the how to draw mecha book that VR is mentioning. it focuses on the general shapes used for mecha bodies and parts- giving the usual examples, lightly touches on drawing mecha weaponry,converting real world things into mecha (with an example using a fighter pilot as a base), different style of mecha, and variant lower bodies. one of the points that weaken the book for me is they feature atleast one page of a lineart design that was rendered rather then drawn which throws off the book a bit.

its great for someone just tarting out on drawing mecha but I don't think any of us would really get much from it.

-actually I take it back there's a very well detailed section of drawing studies of the hip structure of gundam like mecha that look like it came from a more serious series. some points they sorely lack IMO is cockpits, internals, and fitting things together into a cohesive whole.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
VR7

Website thingy.

On the other hand I feel kind of bad that in the end I only used like a ninth of that for my actual banner image.
-noel
crashlegacy14

XD oh god. I think that's the first time we see the three of them in one image. you sir hit my funny bone with those expressions - in a good way!

that said it seems the characters and back ground are in two different perspectives. if going by the characters you'd see much further down the hall (as the camera is far to high in regard to the background position.)
Crash's Mecha Based RPG