Ep. 036 - Final Destination

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 036 - Final Destination

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 036 - "Final Destination"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 93 min., 14 sec. (1:33:14) - 42.7 MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:19:46

02. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:19:46 - 0:20:21

03. 1st Segment: "The Mechanics of Mecha: Our Favorite Grease Monkeys"
Runtime: 0:20:21 - 0:44:54

04. 2nd Segment "Death Becomes Them: Memorable Character Deaths in Mecha Anime, Vol. 1"
Runtime: 0:44:54 - 1:25:30

05. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:25:30 - 1:26:05

06. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:26:05 - 1:33:14

After a particularly notable week of celebrity passings, we couldn't shy away from Death as a subject, reflecting on some memorable ends for our favorite and least favorite characters in Mecha Anime. Before that, we discuss our favorite ASE-Certified mechanics of mass destruction, primarily in the Gundam franchise.

Our Heartfelt Condolences go out to:
- Ed McMahon
- Farrah Fawcett
- Michael Jackson
- Billy Mays
- And any other loved ones that have passed away recently.

BTW, for those in South Florida this weekend, come on down to Yasumicon for another live "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" Special episode we're recording there!

Event: Gundamn! @ Yasumicon 2009!/The Hatergon Assembly w/ Austin Blake
Location: Florida International University (University Park Campus - Graham Center Room 150); Miami, FL
Date: Saturday, July 11th, 2009
Session I Recording Time: 4pm - 6pm* (Gundamn! @ Yasumicon 2009!)
Session II Recording Time: 6:15pm - 7:45pm* (The Hatergon Assembly)
(* = Times are subject to change, please check back for updates!)

Come on down & be a part of the recording! Plus, coming straight out of the Hatergon, General Austin Blake will be hosting a "Hater's Panel" that will also be a part of the podcast! Watch as he tries to put Soul Bro Ryu on blast, as well as many other surprises! Another Showkiller, ahoy!

Thanks for listening and for the feedback!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Yasumicon 2009 -Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
splatzz

Re: Ep. 036 - Final Destination

Thanks guys, I loved this episode. I have to say in the death segment my favorite terrible death was in Gundam 00 when Allelujah's alternate personality Hallelujah slowly kills that grunt soldier in the first season. Another terrible death for me was in Code Geass season 1 where Euphemia ordered the killing of the japanese people and participating in it.
CanadaMan

Man, I love this episode! I'm on my third listen of it today, it's just awesome.
Fafner: yes, Shoko's death is shocking, but also somewhat badass as she manages to take out an enemy unit within the first 5 episodes. And Michiro's death, that was almost a tearjerker for me with the story that was going on with him and Maya's sister.

Funny deaths would be the
Spoiler
Knights of Round who died when they attacked Pendragon after Lelouch took over

Have fun at Yasumicon and SDCC! Wish I was going too.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Oh god... what a great episode you have done guys. Personnaly I think your choice in terms of funny and horrifing death are good. But I'm surprised you didn't talk about the Trinity brother and Saji's sister of Gundam 00. The deaths of the Trinity Brother were totally awesome and funny in the same time. Saji's sister death is just simply horrible. She got murdered in a way that we saw on TV show like CSI. Horrible and sad in the same way, because she was just doing her job, bet she was doom since she said that she wants to know the thruth about Celestial Being. Poor King Arthur...
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
Hyakushiki

Another great show and a rather timely topic. One funny death that always stuck with me was from Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid when Gates shot one of his subordinates in the head when he pointed an error he made then chewed him out before realizing he was dead!
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
ZeroBusterXX

I found Jerid's death in the Zeta Gundam movies to be pretty funny, and I also, also hated Guy's death! That made me cry years ago and still makes me tear up when I watch it. Katz's death was good too, little punk got what was coming!

You guys jokingly mentioned Lelouch having an evil twin, well, guess who runs the Geass Directorate/ Geass Cult in the Nightmare of Nunally manga? That just made me giggle a bit, when I listened to it.
Flame-X

Great ep guys, especially the death segment. There's one funny death I like to mention, and that is blond fats dude from Gundam 00 2nd Season. It's freakin hillarious seeing him trying to run away from 00's beam rifle blast and yelling, "DO SOMETHING GUYS!" What the heck can you do when there's a beam heading directing at you? :lol:
It's just awesome seeing that guy getting owned in that ep.

For the most tragic, it would have to go to Fafner Right of Left. First time I watched it, I literally cried for almost 30 min.
Spoiler
Everyone who participated in the L-Plan died. It was just so damn sad and depressing that I think it surpasses Saikano's level. What made it more impacting in my opinion was the music playing in the background during Ryou's and Yumi's last moment. So beautiful and fitting. After that scene, everyone listening to Ryou's last message and after that, Ryou's dog died! I'm just like... OMG! :shock:
Vent Noir

Just listened to the mechanics segment (I'm listening to the deaths segment as I write this)

No mention of the Earl of Pudding, Lloyd Apslund? I liked Rakshata, too.

I also enjoyed the double act of Carmichael and Melchisdek from Soukou no Strain.

EDIT: Also, good to hear you're Top Gear fans. I assume a lot of mecha fans would like that show.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Wingnut

Yang Newman was the name of the guy who was the head mechanic for the YF-19 and for good reason: he designed the aircraft in the first place. Aside from him, the Macross universe is quite lacking in visable mechanics.

Not really a funny death per se, but ironic mention goes to that one GN-XIII pilot in episode 2 of 00 S2 that throws the beam chaff grenade that blocks beam shots both ways, and then claims he has the advantage over the 00 with his GN lance against CB's mêlée fighter. Again the audience sees the stupidity of his statement immediately, but in universe that guy just had no clue what he was up against and it cost him his life as a result.
Then in the next episode when the Meisters are starting their jailbreak operation, there's this one Tieren pilot that has a beam shot hit the tower above him. It's a couple seconds before said tower falls from the damage and pancakes him.

For surprise gruesomeness that hasn't been mentioned already, I have to give mention to this one nameless civilian guy on the Macross in DYRL?. It's the end of the movie and Minmay's singing the song they found and translated, and things are going good, the heroes are doing their thing and all. Then the Macross takes a hit and we see the effect inside and this guy gets decapitated by a falling beam or something and you see his head flying toward the screen for a second before the action moves on.
Random, brutal, and in the middle of a very old love song to boot.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destiny_Gundam

Loli-Con lasts all year round!

There's only one mechanic for me! Together we shall rule the world!

... Until she drugs me and locks me in the basement...

Some others are the busty chick from Dancouga Nova, the mechanic team from Godannar, and the maids from Gravion. There's also Shari from Nanoha. She does maintenence on magical devices rather than mecha, but she's still a mechanic!

Oh, and this guy.

Funny deaths, I have to say Joshua from 00. Flew in like he was all awesome, but Lockon just casually shot him. Like Raiders of the Lost Ark with mechs.

For horrifying deaths... I can't really say anything. I'm so desensitized to death that I can shrug off even the most gruesome of scenes. But if I had to mention something...

A pretty gorey one I saw not too long ago was in Megazone 23, when that ship got attacked by the tentacles. You guys had mentioned it in the Megazone episode, and yeah, it was pretty bad.

Something that pissed me off, but didn't horrify me per say, was Odello's death in Victory. I have NEVER raged so hard at a death before. I don't think I'll ever forgive Tomino for that one.

One death scene that is so strongly imprinted on me is not from a mecha anime. Elfen Lied, when it shows Lucy's backstory. HOLY CRAP. When those bullies beat that puppy to death... man. That was painful. And then Lucy's powers manifested and she slaughtered the lot of them. The most horrifying thing? I CHEERED WHEN SHE DID IT. You guys know how much I love kids, but damn, did I want those little zoinkers to die horribly. And they did. A really powerful scene over all, and one I hold in high regard. "The ones who aren't human... ARE YOU!" *splat*

I get chills just remembering it.

Oh, and you guys don't need to worry about spoiling Chris on Fafner. I already did that for ya when he had to proof read my reviews. :lol:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
ZeroBusterXX

That witch-looking gal is a mechanic!? Man, what a time we live in.

A death that I found funny was that cocky guy on Graham's team in 00. Joshua? I liked his death (and the video that Thundermuffin made about it), because an episode after Darryl said to him "YOU DIIIIIIIIIIEEEE!!!!" he did. I also really hated that guy just because how smug he was all the time, right up to his grandstanding death scene.
Destiny_Gundam

ZeroBusterXX wrote:That witch-looking gal is a mechanic!?
Well, she likes to think she is, anyways. But couple that with a vampiric phenomenon that makes rumours come to life, she has the power to make an army of mecha versions of her twin sister (and become a master of chinese martial arts).
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Vent Noir wrote:
EDIT: Also, good to hear you're Top Gear fans. I assume a lot of mecha fans would like that show.
Well, I like fast cars and they have plenty of them. Myself and Soul Bro have actually figured who on Gundamn would be what hosts on Top Gear.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Vent Noir

Tragic deaths... the example that sticks in my mind is from the 70s series Zambot 3 (directed by You-Know-Who). The bad guy started turning people unwittingly into human bombs and releasing them into society... so they'd suddenly detonate in a crowd. One of them even exploded on an airliner and caused it to crash. It would have been disturbing enough back in the 70s, but post 9/11 it goes to a whole new level.

Did I mention that this was when mecha shows were thought of as "kids' shows"?

EDIT: Another mechanic I forgot to mention (well, she ended up becoming one): Arisa Glennorth from Stellvia.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
exelica

I'm surprised that Seitaroh Sakaki and Shigeo Shiba, along with the rest of the Section 2 mechanics from Patlabor were not mentioned. When I think of grease monkeys in mecha anime, they come to mind immediately.

While maybe not tragic, the way Roy Fokker went out in Macross: DYRL was super-manly.
*bursts into tears* I can't talk about it! It's so horrible! They were-- they were-- the milk! Oh God, the milk! - Ken Hidaka from Weiss Kreuz
The Fowl Sorcerous

how's this for a death still manages to jerk a few tears out of my black heart Berny Weissman from War in the Pocket. Another set of deaths that shocked me were from the first episode of STRAIN.
And honourable mention for mechanics in the ladies from Vandread.
[[lorem ipsum]]
thanatos

Top notch episode guys. When you made the stoner voice for Howard I cracked up. He always seemed to be what you'd get if Tommy Chong had gotten a PhD in Engineering.

As for good death, I always thought that General Septum's death in Wing was pretty brutal. Thrown out of a plane AND shot through the head.
One satisfying near-death was in Heroic Age when
Spoiler
Dianera's brothers were sent into that parallel universe of nothingness. I was so disappointed when they came back from it.
Two brutal deaths-by-crushing come to mind.
Spoiler
Raigyo from Xam'd and Chihaya from Idolmaster Xenoglossia
That just seems like such a horrific way to go.

But the weirdest death I've ever seen was in Xam'd when
Spoiler
Furuichi tore off his own head.
hawk of endymion wrote:Myself and Soul Bro have actually figured who on Gundamn would be what hosts on Top Gear.
Please share.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
VentZX

Wow, I wasn't expecting another episode so soon! As always, thanks go out to you guys for putting out some entertaining stuff. Will begin listening to it now as I finish assembling my White Zeta.

Also, I see what you did there with that title Soul Bro. Funny enough, the first thing that came to mind when I saw the topic was the Smash Bro's stage.
Soul Bro Ryu

hawk of endymion wrote:Myself and Soul Bro have actually figured who on Gundamn would be what hosts on Top Gear.
thanatos wrote:Please share.
Way to leave them hanging, Neo. We were joking about this last week, but we recognized a parallel between us and the hosts of Top Gear

Neo = Jeremy Clarkson (Brash/Uninformed) ^_^
Chris = James May (knowledgeable)
SBR = Richard Hammond (ridiculous & ridiculed, accident prone too)

Of course, these similarities are mad laughable, but you see where I'm going with this. BTW, if I had my choice of fantasy pilot for "The Stig", it would be Max Jenious from SDF Macross all day long. ^_^

Wish we got to test pilot mecha for real. Then again, the bystanders might not appreciate our "learning curve". O_o
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
ZeroBusterXX

If it's as bad as Hikaru's learning curve from the original Macross, then spectators should watch from several miles away on a TV screen!