Ep. 035 - All's Well in Byston Well

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hotlimit

Re: Ep. 035 - All's Well in Byston Well

Battosai28 wrote:Now Dunbine is definitely a show I want to watch, if only because my city is actually represented in an anime.
This is sort of off-topic, but the only reason my friend watched Seed Destiny is because his hometown got blown up in the first episode hahaha.
Wingnut

hotlimit wrote:This is sort of off-topic, but the only reason my friend watched Seed Destiny is because his hometown got blown up in the first episode hahaha.
Seeing as the whole episode took place on the PLANT colony of Armory 1, I find that unlikely. Were you thinking of a place mentioned that was wiped out by the Junius 7 drop in a later episode?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
ZeroBusterXX

Wingnut wrote:
hotlimit wrote:This is sort of off-topic, but the only reason my friend watched Seed Destiny is because his hometown got blown up in the first episode hahaha.
Seeing as the whole episode took place on the PLANT colony of Armory 1, I find that unlikely. Were you thinking of a place mentioned that was wiped out by the Junius 7 drop in a later episode?
There is Shinn's little flashback to the ORB Invasion. Does your friend live in ORB, because if he does, he's not real.
JQuilty

Interesting you guys mentioned King Arthur without mentioning King Arthur. :D
Red Comet90

ZeroBusterXX wrote:
Wingnut wrote:
There is Shinn's little flashback to the ORB Invasion. Does your friend live in ORB, because if he does, he's not real.
Orb is located on a real landmass who's name has been changed in the SEED universe hasn't it?
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
snoops619

ZeroBusterXX wrote:
Wingnut wrote:
What? I thought Gundam SEED Destiny was a documentary.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Destiny_Gundam

You know what? I actually have my very own loser villain! Chris knows what chick I'm talking about. She's some bitch over at Fanfiction.net. Whenever I post a Nanoha fanfiction that doesn't pair up Nanoha and Fate, she always comes to me and whines about it (even when I put a big warning on it). She goes on and on about how I'm 'destroying' the community, and how I'm 'ruining' such a 'beautiful' relationship because (and this is a direct quote) "you want to add a penis to their romantic relationship so you can identify with it."

Like I need a male character in order to stick my penis in there. Pfft.

Anyways, this bitch keeps attacking me, trying to guilt trip me by going on about how I'm 'hurting' so many people with my writing.

Yeah, she's more annoying/amusing/pathetic than anything. Hardly a threat at all, but like a bad case of the hiccups, she just won't go away.

Definitely prime loser villain material.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
ZeroBusterXX

I think the only way you could hurt with a fanfic is if you wrote it in a Death Note.
ThaDDeusBonzu

ZeroBusterXX wrote:I think the only way you could hurt with a fanfic is if you wrote it in a Death Note.
Or if you carved whole chapters on someone's flesh. That might hurt a bit.
SDGO Taiwan ign: RougeMK
skyknight

Didn't finish the podcast until today, hoped everyone here had a great Forth of July.

I had an interesting experience with Dunbine, I actually watched the last few eps while I was living in Taiwan, and not knowing what the hell was going on. The ending left me saying "HUH?", when you have so many people getting killed, and who actually won? This wasn't a clear-cut "GOOD triumph EVIL," as the last surviving member is actually a tiny fairy. And believe me when I was brought to tears in watching Graves of the Fireflies as a child living in Taiwan, when you watch anime look those, it gives you a different perspective, as you never seen much death and despair in American animation.

And the funny thing is that I never knew the title until I poked around MAHQ.net that I realized I saw Dubine in Taiwan. It is a shame that good quality animes such as Dubine and others don't get licensed in North American, for being a "niche" market, while the greatest craps can get renew numerous times (YEAH MD Giest you are guilty of that, Mot-F'cker!).

Keep up the good work, guys, as I look forward for future podcast on other great mecha shows.

Loser villians, could that be worst than being Soul Bro's Man???
I do agree the potential list could go on, but here is one from my shortlist: Team Rocket from Pokemon (first 2 seasons, did watch it with my younger bros).

On characters in Code Geass (boy, does that ever ruffle people's feathers!)
Orange-kun, yeah he was a total loser, and to be honest, I wasn't fully convinced that he could easily defected to Lulu's side in R2. I do think he represents the tragedy of being the "company man" in S1- carrying out the empire's creed as a crazed zealot, only to be doubted and looked down by his fellowmen and superiors; and he was obsessive in getting Zero as a way to gain back everything he lost, and FAILED many times. I thought a better script was needed for him in S2.

Xingke, I admitted that I was caught in the hype leading to R2, especially when the VA is Hikaru Midorikawa (Rukawa in Slam Dunk!, Heero in Gundam W...), he should've been an interesting character, especially when the dialogues referenced him as one that is on bar with both Lulu and Suzaku at the SAME TIME! But only time is his mortal enemy (cough, cough blood...). Yet after joining the Black Knights, he just got lazy and lived longer, still that isn't enough to qualify him as a loser villain (should have more fight scenes with other Knights of the Round!).

Tamaki, one of the most annoying characters in CG (my bros just hate him!). Let's be honest, he is a bigot just like the Britiannians, only he is on the "Japanese" side, wouldn't you agree? Yet he wants to act like a big shot with no skills or charisma to back it up, and he seems just a hair away from pulling the trigger - anyone dare to bet Tamaki is willing to shoot at students at Ashford Academy just because they are Britiannians? And one reason that I was so disappointed in R2 was the events leading to the grand finale: it was more of the clash between East and West, rather than the struggle of freedom and justice of what Zero (Lulu) was trying to promote in S1. And YES, he is loser, regardless if he is on "good" side or "bad" side, depending on which side you choose.

But do believe me when I say that I am getting limited edition of CG:R2 and Gundam 00 boxset.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
wielder

I've been a bit busy lately...but regardless of that, it's always good to hear you guys.

Never seen Dunbine myself, to be honest, but it's definitely on the list and the discussion made it sound fairly interesting. I'm simply having too much fun with Xabungle at the moment though. Don't want to ruin that happy, carefree mood just yet.

As for the loser villains, it was nice to see Orguss getting a mention there. I didn't actually remember Roberto's name, but once Chris started describing him all the memories suddenly came back. I think he deserved what he got. :lol:

By the way, I'd say Gostello from Blue Comet SPT Layzner also qualifies. Chris has already seen the entire series and will know if that applies to the rest of the show, but it's clearly the case for at least the first half. He's not unskilled, but Eiji is certainly better. The guy's also completely crazy to begin with and every single time he just gets worse and worse.

Speaking of Code Geass, I think it could easily be argued that Lelouch, of all people, was closer to being the true loser "villain" for the first half of the original series. Suzaku, who would classify as the "hero" in almost any other mecha series, always showed up to ruin his plans and quickly won almost any Knightmare duel with relatively little effort. Zero was definitely obssessed with defeating the Lancelot's pilot and, if the camera had been on Suzaku's side instead of Lelouch's, the audience would probably be more sympathetic. :wink:

Just to add one more thing about Orange...from my point of view, I agree that the script actually treated him better in R2. I think his turn was understandable, particularly if you include the previous Picture Drama and how it gave him something of a background, instead of leaving him as a crazy grunt.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Wellman

My own shout outs for loser villains in recent anime.

Xam'd: Lost Memories
Spoiler
Furuichi although he didn't last that long to be a real pain, his heel turn from Akiyuki's best friend to crazed obsessive 'would be' rival definitely puts him in this category. Also has to be one of weirdest "ends" for a character in recent memory.
Sora O Kakeru Shoujo
Spoiler
Nami is so loser villain she can't even help herself. And what makes it even sadder is that Akiha is such a non-combative main character it makes each time Nami get driven back all the more sadder. That and she was right about her sisters not really being there for her, for a younger sibling they did treat her like crap.
Casshern Sins
Spoiler
Dio, nuff said.
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Spoiler
Andrei Smirnov, unique in only that the character was obsessed with beating was his pops but before and afterward wasn't even a footnote for any other character but Soma. Even Louise barely paid much attention to him and she had the most scenes with him.

A case can be made for both Louise Halevy and Nena Trinity as well.
thanatos

One loser villain that comes to mind is Jonathan Glenn from Brain Powerd. Serious abandonment issues that he took out on Yu.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:She goes on and on about how I'm 'destroying' the community, and how I'm 'ruining' such a 'beautiful' relationship because (and this is a direct quote) "you want to add a penis to their romantic relationship so you can identify with it."
Oh wow. That made my day.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
Soul Bro Ryu

thanatos wrote:Soul Bro, where did you find that Billie Mays segment you put in to the last seconds of the episode? I'd love it if there is more of that.
Stole it from YouTube actually ^_^

"Billy Mays Gangster Remix":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tyct9l-fD8

There's a Billy Mays opening for Ep. 36 as well, just to bookend the experience. I'll lay off his samples after that ep, I promise.

R.I.P. Billy Mays ~_~
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Wingnut

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:There's a Billy Mays opening for Ep. 36 as well, just to bookend the experience. I'll lay off his samples after that ep, I promise.

R.I.P. Billy Mays ~_~
That one actually sounds like a keeper. Not to be used all the time, but don't throw it away.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
The Fowl Sorcerous

Not sure if this one counts, but here's a favourite loser rival of mine: the Karate Club Captain from FMP: Fumoffu! mostly for the how little Soususke regard has for him as rival.
[[lorem ipsum]]
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

ZeroBusterXX wrote:Don't feel bad about the V/Five thing, Neo! Even Nadesico's dub made that mistake.
At least it wasn't the Prince of Darkness dub.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Destiny_Gundam

The Prince of Darkness dub was awesome if only for the line "Would some one please explain this zoinks to me?"
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
jabman025

Hello all

I am going to add a name to the loser villan pile. How about Wufei in Endless Waltz. Sure he was only a villan for the first half of the movie but I do qualify him as a loser.

On a side note does anyone know what music was playing when they were closing out this episode? I did not recognize it but I liked it.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Soul Bro Ryu

jabman025 wrote:On a side note does anyone know what music was playing when they were closing out this episode? I did not recognize it but I liked it.
Actually, I used 2 songs! Peep it:

Song 1: "Imperial Code - Jin VS Noel Theme Song (Library Theme)"
Album: "Blazblue Calamity Trigger OST"
Artist: Daisuke Ishiwatari
Portion Used: 0:59 - 5:15
Runtime played in Episode: 1:26:09 - 1:30:21

Song: "Still in the Dark"
Album: "Guilty Gear X (Heavy Rock Tracks)"
Artist: Daisuke Ishiwatari
Portion Used: 0:00 - 1:23
Runtime played in Episode: 1:30:21 - 1:31:44
Destiny_Gundam wrote:The Prince of Darkness dub was awesome if only for the line "Would some one please explain this zoinks to me?"
I think most folks were thinking that when they watch it. At least those outside Japan. I know I did ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu