Ep. 035 - All's Well in Byston Well

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 035 - All's Well in Byston Well

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 035 - "All's Well in Byston Well"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 90 min., 42 sec. (1:30:42) - 41.5 MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:11:16

02. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:11:16 - 0:11:51

03. 1st Segment: "Mecha Anime Spotlight: Aura Battler Dunbine"
Runtime: 0:11:51 - 0:51:17

04. Preview: Next Time on Gundamn! @ MAHQ - "Mechanics of Mecha Anime"
Runtime: 0:51:17 - 0:52:53

05. 2nd Segment "Attack of the Loser Villains!"
Runtime: 0:52:53 - 1:27:27

06. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:27:27 - 1:30:42

After many requests we finally take a vacation from Upper Earth to the enchanted world of Byston Well with our review of the classic Tomino series, "Aura Battler Dunbine"! Then, in the spirit of Bern Bunnings our conversation dives into more of our favorite Loser Villains!

Thanks for listening and for the feedback!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Ohmygodiamonfire

Re: Ep. 035 - All's Well in Byston Well

OMG GUNDAMN HAS TOTALLY SOLD OUT!!!1!
Just kidding.
ShadowCell wrote:"...we'll, uh, do the same thing that the original Neue Ziel did."
"Which is...?"
"Crash into stuff."
"...oh."
Vent Noir

No mention of Team Patrick in the Loser Villains segment?

Others that I can think of...

Alcyone in Magic Knight Rayearth (although there was one cool moment in the second season when she appears and the knights are so unconcerned they don't even bother to try and dodge her attacks, only to find out that she's gotten a power-up).

Golem in Iczer-3 was badass at first, but went out like a loser... the revived Iczer-2 had just completly beaten the tar out of Iczer-3, Golem bombards the area and declares that that makes the victory hers, Iczer-2 goes to confront her, Golem declares that Neos only needs her and shoots at Iczer-2, who dodges the shot, tells her she's a loser, and promptly slices her in half vertically.

Lance in Tekkaman Blade, although he did have the misfortune of being the one to go up against Blade's newly-upgraded form... here's the dub version of what happens.

For non-mecha shows, Zoisite and later Eudial in Sailor Moon spring to mind.

And of course, there's a whole list of them at http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ticVillain

EDIT: Actually, rereading that list reminded me of another mecha loser villain that deserves a mention: Waspinator from Transformers: Beast Wars.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
snoops619

Yeah, the European release of any media be it anime or Video games does suck. A lot.
And also, I must second that Team Patrick needed a mention.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Ohmygodiamonfire wrote:OMG GUNDAMN HAS TOTALLY SOLD OUT!!!1!
Just kidding.
Don't kidd, buy!!!
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Red Comet90

Another hilarious episode. I've never seen Dunbine and hearing everything you guys talked about it makes me want to watch its too bad the final volume has to be so expensive and rare to find.

As for loser villains you guys took all the ones I could think of as I was listening to it. Another loser villain would have to be that guy from G Saviour the one who fights Mark Curran at the end in his disgusting mono eyed suit.

To name another loser villain I'd have to say Dio eraclea in Last Exile. That guy was so utterly annoying! One loser villain thats not mecha anime is Grimmjaw from Bleach. He was such a loser till the end.

It seems like Gundamn is slowly taking over the world one step at a time. Now Petco is part of the Gundamn empire! :lol:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Doven

Although he wasn't a villan you could call Tamaki a loser pilot cus he was constanly owned by Susaku, to the point where he was more of a fly being swated away.
If knowing is half the battle then Im going in unarmed.
ZeroBusterXX

Dunbine is an anime I have always wanted to see. I have never been able to find it though. I wish ADV would give it a re-release. I do love it's theme song though.

Jeremiah Gottwald is one of my favorite loser pilots, and so is Patrick Colasour, because by the end of their respective series, they both actually become cool and accomplish something.

Man, just when I was thinking, "I could use a new Gundamn today," I get up and BOOM! There it is! Thanks for another great podcast guys.
ThaDDeusBonzu

SSGokuJr wrote:Although he wasn't a villan you could call Tamaki a loser pilot cus he was constanly owned by Susaku, to the point where he was more of a fly being swated away.
Indeed; however Tamaki became awesome at the end, by protecting the Ikaruga's bridge from the sakuradite explosion. Sure Kallen did it as well, but she had the most advanced KMF up to that point, while Tamaki had a crappy mass-produced Knightmare. He also proved the Knightmares indeed do not need to have legs to fight.

Anyway; PetCo, your number 1 supplier for Troll repellent. Also where Chris got his beam saber that Bill Whipton mentioned.
SDGO Taiwan ign: RougeMK
Vent Noir

Another one - not mecha or even anime, but since there's an Avatar discussion that's started up in General Discussion, I have to mention Zuko in the Loser Villains discussion.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Doven

ThaDDeusBonzu wrote:
SSGokuJr wrote:Although he wasn't a villan you could call Tamaki a loser pilot cus he was constanly owned by Susaku, to the point where he was more of a fly being swated away.
Indeed; however Tamaki became awesome at the end, by protecting the Ikaruga's bridge from the sakuradite explosion. Sure Kallen did it as well, but she had the most advanced KMF up to that point, while Tamaki had a crappy mass-produced Knightmare. He also proved the Knightmares indeed do not need to have legs to fight.

Anyway; PetCo, your number 1 supplier for Troll repellent. Also where Chris got his beam saber that Bill Whipton mentioned.

well yeah he helped protect it but then he just got ripped apart my Suzaku again and when hes in the infermary he is crying like a baby over how suckky he is.
If knowing is half the battle then Im going in unarmed.
jroy1117

Thanks Gundamn you made my stuck at home with poison oak day a good day. Also congrats on your pet co. endorsement. First Pet co. next Bandai.

Ok do you think Gyunei from Char's counterattack counts as a loser villain?
I Want You for the War on: U.C. Puritans, Wing Jihadists, and Seed Zealots.

"Veni, vidi, Deus Vicit"
ThaDDeusBonzu

SSGokuJr wrote: well yeah he helped protect it but then he just got ripped apart my Suzaku again and when hes in the infermary he is crying like a baby over how suckky he is.
Well, sure, he got ripped apart by Suzaku, just like everyone else who isn't Kallen Kozuki. But enough of this; this isn't the code geass thread. but if it was..... I'd say "Orange-kun FTW!!!!!!!"

Heh heh, I just noticed the Billy Mays remix at the end. Hilarious. Hey SoulBro, is there any way you could send me the link for that?
Last edited by ThaDDeusBonzu on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDGO Taiwan ign: RougeMK
Red Comet90

jroy1117 wrote:Ok do you think Gyunei from Char's counterattack counts as a loser villain?
I'd have to agree with you. Gyunei was a loser villain but not so much towards Amuro but towards Char since he hated Char and wanted to take Ques and all of Neo Zeon for himself. To Amuro he was just another grunt. :lol:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
CanadaMan

Bwehehe ... the loser villain. Awesome segment!
So, Neo seems to have this repeat offense with Code Geass ... mind you, R2 has finished its English run in North America now.

All in all, nice episode.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Destiny_Gundam

Misinformed Neo rears his head once again. It's Combattler Vee and Voltes Five. You need to bone up on your old school robots ;)

(Just my petty revenge for knocking on Prince of Darkness)

Also, rejoice, everyone. My Gundam 00 part 1 special edition has shipped out from Right Stuf. I guess the problems have been solved and I'll have my copy in a week.

I only watched a little bit of Dunbine. It was ok, but honestly, knowing the ending takes away all motivation to watch the rest of it. I won't be able to care about any of the characters and what they're trying to accomplish if I know they all die anyways. Plus, old anime makes me drowsy.

I'd like if your next anime spotlight dealt with a more recent series.

I definitely think Char counts as a loser villain. Or at least he had a phase where he was. He got so obsessed with defeating the Gundam, especially after Lalah was killed, that he totally forgot about his initial goal to kill the Zabis. And then later, he stages a revolution, and drops asteroids on Earth for the sole purpose of getting a chance to fight Amuro again. And he loses. So, yeah.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
ZeroBusterXX

Don't feel bad about the V/Five thing, Neo! Even Nadesico's dub made that mistake.
Destiny_Gundam

To be honest I didn't know it was Voltes Five until a few months ago... >.>
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hotlimit

Did I hear someone say Johnny Ridden was a Char? Great episode, I was glad to hear you talk about Overman King Gainer a little bit.
Battosai28

Well Dan returns from his three or four month hiatus to say thanks for another awesome gundamn episode to the crew. I don't know how you've made it through the days without me, but I'm back. Just because I haven't been posting four or five times a day like I used to, doesn't mean I'm not listening and enjoying.

However, my absence has not been without good reason. I mentioned several months ago that I was being considered for an exchange program in Tokyo for a year, and I've been accepted! I guess that makes me Neo's unofficial self appointed chief Asian Corespondent.

I'm just kidding. But not really.

In regards to the Dunbine section, as a pure blooded Bostonian, I did not appreciate that crack about my hometown, SoulBro, but I'll be cool with you eventually. Now Dunbine is definitely a show I want to watch, if only because my city is actually represented in an anime.

For the loser villain segment, I just wanted to add one more detail about Chronicle's death. Not only did he fall out of the cockpit and end up like space debree, but immediately after, there is a goofy haro eyecatch, in case it it wasn't funny enough by itself.

Keep it up guys. Chief Asian Correspondent signing out.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!