Special 003 - Beam Me Up, Bill Whipton!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Special 003 - Beam Me Up, Bill Whipton!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Special 003 - "Beam Me Up, Bill Whipton!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 83 min., 58 sec. (1:23:58) - 38.4 MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Special Guest Host: Bill Whipton & Austin Blake (1st Segment), Austin Blake, Pedro Cortes & Devon Maxwell (2nd & 3rd Segments)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. 1st Segment: "Inside the Gundamn Studio: The Return of Bill Whipton"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:38:59

02. 2nd Segment: "Cinema Spotlight: Star Trek"
Runtime: 0:38:59 - 1:19:15

03. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:19:15 - 1:19:50

04. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:19:50 - 1:23:58

WARNING: There are notable spoilers for Code Geass in this episode. By all means, blame Neo for those. Also the opinions of Austin about a "certain" voice actor are totally his and based on a personal encounter he had with that person. Another story for another day...

After lots of "fun" editing this, the long awaited special episode has arrived! Our friend and consumate gentleman host, Bill Whipton returns to present questions to the Gundamn! Gang sent in from you, the listeners. If that wasn't enough, we also discuss our thoughts about the latest reboot of the Star Trek franchise. In that segment we are joined by -

- Hater-in-Chief, Austin Blake!

- Pedro "Pedobear South" Cortes of Tomopop.com and co-host of their podcast, "Tomocast"!

- Co-Host of Level Nine & Flip The Script!, Devon "Boiwondr" Maxwell!

Props Infinite to them, the "studio" audience, and all the listeners who submitted questions!

Thanks for listening and for the feedback!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
skyknight

Re: Special 003 - Beam Me Up, Bill Whipton!

Alright, another highly caffeinated eps by you guys!

Star Trek, yes, I think this JJ Abrams reboot is one of the best in the years, and definitely gave the whole Star Trek universe the needed new blood (or boost). And to all trolls out there, why so serious about the two Spock's? I mean time and time again, many sci-fi shows have dealt with time travel and parallel universe (even the latest Haruhi show dealt with it!). And of course I am curious on whether the franchise will continue with more sequels or not. I do agree all the actors did nail it on the first one, and there is room for more.

I did have have a good laughs in the opening question roundup, though I have to agree that most of us will need to lay off from Code Geass for a while (even I do get my feathers rough up from talking about it!). Well, I did get introduce to anime in different ways from you guys. I moved to Taiwan as kid that grew up on a health dose of 80's cartoons, and it was a shock for me to live in a place where there was no Saturday morning cartoons (and you had to go to school on Saturday!), but I got introduce into watching Japanese anime with my elder cousins, and I watch ZZ Gundam, Macross 7, TF: Headmaster, MasterForce and Victory, Slam Dunk, Yu Yu Hakusho... while I was living there. And I came back to the US, it was totally different, you have to either watch it on cable (which I don't have) or on DVD.

Fanservices, man, that was one shocker for me when I saw anime in Taiwan, oh boy, I was an innocent boy (yeah right!) when I saw MD Geist, and that had lots of blood and plenty of boobs, and YES it is one of the most crappiest anime EVER!. But I do think some fanservices is good, as long it is relevant to the main storyline, or just to provide some distractions.

Emma Sheen, Soul Bro, you are not alone! I do think she is one of the best female characters in the whole Gundam universe. But I would say she is more of the older sister (O-nee san) than a mother figure to Kamile, which in the early eps that she mentioned to Bright. And she did give Kamile some good smacking in the series. Heck, even Capt. Haken sent his men and his ship to die for her! But I wouldn't go as far as Soul Bro into creating a character just to look like her.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Destiny_Gundam

Damn, yesterday I was all "Man, an episode of Gundamn would really hit the spot today" while I was working on my grand loli project. No such luck when I got up, so I shrugged it off. Then I wake up today and there's a new Gundamn. Nice timing there Soul Bro :evil:

Anyways, funny episode. When all you guys get together in the same room, the craziness goes through the roof.

It's a shame Mr Whipton misread my second question. I asked what 'non-mecha/sci-fi' series you guys would recommend, not what 'non-mecha' sci-fi show. I know you guys like Ghost in the Shell and Legend of the Galaxtic Heros. I wanted to know what slice of life, or fantasy, or mystery, etc you guys are into.

Sorry Soul Bro, I'm gonna have to stab you in the back. I remember liking Emma the first time I watched Zeta Gundam. However, after finishing rewatching the series a few weeks ago, my opinion of her dropped rapidly. All she did was bitch and nag. It really got tiresome. I can't even remember any notable things she did in combat, so I can't really say what qualified her a good pilot (other than word of mouth). In terms of Mark II pilots, Elle stands out far more in my mind.

Can't say anything about Star Trek, as I haven't seen the movie, nor was I too into any of the other series (I've seen a few eps of the original, and they were enjoyable in the cheezy kind of way).
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
CanadaMan

Nothing improves a day like the smooth voice of Bill Whipton.
There were fewer questions that I thought for Mr. Whipton, but I'm satisfied with the answer he provided. Chris, I salute your win over the Blond Ace and Soul Bro. Soul Bro, I'm sorry to hear you get taken out first. Neo ... um ... sorry about the beam saber. But smooth answer with the "Non-Numbered Show" rule and the Demon Emperor Lelouch.

As for Star Trek, I had been wanting to see it long before it opened, but the breaking point was Soul Bro texting Twitter every five minutes about a scene in the movie. Like comparing how Kirk can take a punch like Setsuna. Or the red-shirt Olsen.
It is one of those movies you can watch without being a fan of any previous Star Trek movie or series, but if you are a fan, you can catch a lot of the nuances.

I had to watch the trailer many times before I figured out Bones was played by Karl Urban. And when I did, my enthusiasm only increased. He is a great actor, I'd go see any movie with him in it.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
snoops619

CanadaMan wrote:... the breaking point was Soul Bro texting Twitter every five minutes about a scene in the movie. Like comparing how Kirk can take a punch like Setsuna.
I remember that! I want Soul Bro for DVD commentary on Star Trek.

The entire show was a non-stop laugh from start to finish. Good work.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Soul Bro Ryu

skyknight wrote:Emma Sheen, Soul Bro, you are not alone! I do think she is one of the best female characters in the whole Gundam universe. But I would say she is more of the older sister (O-nee san) than a mother figure to Kamile, which in the early eps that she mentioned to Bright. And she did give Kamile some good smacking in the series. Heck, even Capt. Haken sent his men and his ship to die for her! But I wouldn't go as far as Soul Bro into creating a character just to look like her.
Now that you mention it, Emma was Kamille's "sister-figure", while Reccoa was her "mother-figure" after the death of Bidan's own mother. I must have been high off of so much Emma when I got that wrong. O_o
CanadaMan wrote:... the breaking point was Soul Bro texting Twitter every five minutes about a scene in the movie. Like comparing how Kirk can take a punch like Setsuna.
Glad I could help coercing you into seeing it!
snoops619 wrote:I remember that! I want Soul Bro for DVD commentary on Star Trek.
That's a grand idea for when the DVD/Bluray comes out, Alex! I'll have to round these cats up and see it they're up for the task. ^_^
Destiny_Gundam wrote:...I asked what 'non-mecha/sci-fi' series you guys would recommend, not what 'non-mecha' sci-fi show. I know you guys like Ghost in the Shell and Legend of the Galaxtic Heros. I wanted to know what slice of life, or fantasy, or mystery, etc you guys are into.

Sorry Soul Bro, I'm gonna have to stab you in the back. I remember liking Emma the first time I watched Zeta Gundam. However, after finishing rewatching the series a few weeks ago, my opinion of her dropped rapidly. All she did was bitch and nag. It really got tiresome. I can't even remember any notable things she did in combat, so I can't really say what qualified her a good pilot (other than word of mouth). In terms of Mark II pilots, Elle stands out far more in my mind.
Given how you feel about Zeta, your "love" for Emma doesn't shock me either. Now I'm really convinced that you and I watched two totally different shows. ^_^

As for your question, you asked for it! Here are some Anime (and Manga) that I wholeheartedly recommend, sci-fi or no:

- Area 88 (OVA & TV)
- Astroboy (1982 edition)
- BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
- Chobits
- Castle in the Sky
- Cowboy Bebop
- Detonator Orgun
- Dragon Ball (including Z)
- El-Hazard (Original OVA especially)
- Fist of the North Star
- The Gokusen
- Golden Boy
- Great Teacher Onizuka
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Gungrave
- Hajime no Ippo (Fighting Spirit)
- Happy!
- Here is Greenwood
- Hikaru no Go
- Hot Gimmick
- Howl's Moving Castle
- Initial D
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (including Steel Ball Run/possibly the greatest manga ever printed)
- Kaze no Yojimbo
- Master Keaton
- Michiko to Hatchin
- Midori no Hibi (Midori Days)
- Monster
- Pluto (A story arc from Astroboy re-envisioned as a Noir murder mystery that is very badass.)
- Ranma 1/2
- Samurai Champloo
- Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie
- They Were Eleven
- Twentieth Century Boys (Twenty-First included)
- Urusei Yatsura
- Video Girl Ai (my second fav Anime & Manga of all time)
- Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl
- Yu Yu Hakusho (single-handedly the greatest animated Shonen adventure ever)
- Yugo the Negotiator

BONUS: Cartoons I grew up watching that made me the weirdo I am today!

- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- Animaniacs
- Batman: The Animated Series
- Batman: Gotham Knights/The New Batman Adventures
- Batman Beyond
- The Bionic Six
- The Comic Strip
- Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
- Darkwing Duck
- Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
- Dragon Quest: Abel Yuusha (Dragon Warrior)
- DuckTales
- Frekazoid
- Gargoyles
- G.I. Joe
- G.I. Joe: The Movie
- Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics
- Heathcliff
- Inhumanoids
- Jem (I'll admit it)
- Jonny Quest
- The Jungle Book
- Kissyfur
- The Little Mermaid
- The Mighty Orbots
- M.A.S.K.
- Maple Town (Wilde Wolf, son!)
- The Mysterious Cities of Gold
- Peter Pan and the Pirates
- The Real Ghostbusters
- Robotix
- Robin Hood
- The Secret of Nimh
- Spiral Zone
- Superman: The Animated Series
- Starcom: The U.S. Space Force
- TaleSpin (Shere Khan, baby!)
- Thundercats
- Tiny Toon Adventures
- Transformers (G1 & G2)
- Transformers: The Movie
- Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light

And that's just for starters! Just kidding ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Destiny_Gundam

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Given how you feel about Zeta, your "love" for Emma doesn't shock me either. Now I'm really convinced that you and I watched two totally different shows. ^_^
At one point, we had watched the same show. But back then I was young and impressionable. Chris's reviews said that Zeta was considered the best ever, so I was all "The big shot at MAHQ said so, so it's gotta be true!" I first watched Zeta convinced that it was so deep and dark and I was cool cuz I liked it.

Years passed and on hindsight, I didn't remember Zeta that fondly. Upon actually rewatching it, for the most part it felt like a chore to sit through.

The movies were awesome, though.

So yeah, didn't like Emma the 2nd time around, but I like Maor as much as I always did. Even Beltochika became more likable during the 2nd Earth arc.

As for your list, I remember growing up with a bunch of those cartoons. Good times. Other than Criminal Minds, I don't watch TV anymore.
Chris
Administrator

Everything that the big shot at MAHQ says is always correct 100% of the time. How could you possibly doubt this???
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Wingnut

Because we still have functioning brains that are immune to mind control? :)

Anyway, that troll is getting very annoying. I can skip over troll posts on the internet, but I have no choice but to listen to that dumbass rant on about his assorted crap.

What's the Florida state law about owning a shotgun for home defense? Seriously, it's time to kill that punk.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Flame-X

Wingnut wrote: Anyway, that troll is getting very annoying. I can skip over troll posts on the internet, but I have no choice but to listen to that dumbass rant on about his assorted crap.
Yep, I have to agree. It was funny listening to it on the 00 and 9th Anniversary segments, but this is just taking it too far.
Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

Enjoyed it lads very entertaining I enjoyed listening to it whilst playing FIFA 07 on Manager mode playing as Accrington Stanley. Bill Whipton What a Master of Ceremonies all we need now it a Jeremy Paxman style interviewer and then we're sorted.

The Star Trek review there are one or two points I would argue but all in all I do agree but one thing you could say that it did explain Enterprise in some respects.

Soul Bro nice choice of cartoons there a few I would add would be
Danger Mouse
Trap Door
Inspecter Gadget
Count Duckula
Just to name a few ok some are British
Chris wrote:Everything that the big shot at MAHQ says is always correct 100% of the time. How could you possibly doubt this???
Chris he's a pessimistic University Student whom likes to doubt and question everything as a hobby. Also if I remember rightly he completely contridicted himself during the G Saviour round up.
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
Destiny_Gundam

Demon Lord of L5 wrote:Chris he's a pessimistic University Student whom likes to doubt and question everything as a hobby. Also if I remember rightly he completely contridicted himself during the G Saviour round up.
Hey! I am not a pessimist!

Not anymore at least.
Chris
Administrator

Flame-X wrote:
Wingnut wrote: Anyway, that troll is getting very annoying. I can skip over troll posts on the internet, but I have no choice but to listen to that dumbass rant on about his assorted crap.
Yep, I have to agree. It was funny listening to it on the 00 and 9th Anniversary segments, but this is just taking it too far.
The more you guys troll the troll, the more the troll will troll you. :twisted:
Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Demon Lord of L5 wrote:Chris he's a pessimistic University Student whom likes to doubt and question everything as a hobby. Also if I remember rightly he completely contridicted himself during the G Saviour round up.
Hey! I am not a pessimist!

Not anymore at least.
Ok your not a pessimist so then your just a typical "Bloody Student!!"

On another note with the vehicles question I would say
Lancia Delta HF Intergrale (Macross Frontier - Ozma Lee's car)
Lancia Stratos (Ghost in the Shell: SAC 1st and 2nd gig - Batou's car)
Ford GT (Ghost in the shell: SAC: Solid State Society - Batou's car)
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
hotlimit

Awesome episode, good to hear all the Shinjuku Station universes colliding. I haven't got a change to see Star Trek but it sounds like everyone liked it. This is a pretty good format for the listener questions show, next time I'll have some topics for the well-traveled Mr. Whipton.
Wellman

Great first half, although I can't listen to the second half with the Star Trek talk until I see the movie.

Which will probably occur at some point when its on DVD.
CanadaMan

Wellman wrote:I can't listen to the second half with the Star Trek talk until I see the movie.
I had to do that when the reviewed Code Geass all that time ago. And Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Finally I'm up to date.
Still, go see Star Trek on the big screen if you can, even if it's in the cheap theaters. Completely worth it.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
thanatos

I can't believe that someone likes the design of the Gattle. It looks like someone a kid would make with his spare lego pieces.

Anyways, a fun episode guys. You ought to have a studio audience more often.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
Chris
Administrator

thanatos wrote:You ought to have a studio audience more often.
It would be nice to have, but it's not exactly easy to do when we live nearly 300 miles apart.
Red Comet90

I just finished up this episode and it was hilarious from start to finish. The questions with Bill Whipton were rather short. I was expecting a segment a bit longer but it was still hilarious nonetheless.

Chris your first answer as to how you were introduced to Gundam still makes me laugh when I think about it but it was rather disturbing. What's interesting is how I pretty much got into Mecha anime the same way you guys did. I watched Robotech except when it aired on CN not back in 85 (I wasn't even born then :lol: )

Soul Bro I don't mean to pick on you since I know how you feel about Emma, but I knew something funny would come up if it was mentioned. :lol: I also happened to like Lisa Hayes (scratch that) Misa back in the day. Now its all Haman for some reason that I dont even know. :lol:

Moving on to the Star Trek movie I have to agree with what you guys said. I sat through most of Enterprise and found it rather dull and boring and I didn't get why people loved Star Trek but thats all the exposure I had besides the Wrath of Khan which is still a great movie to this day. I'm glad that Star Trek has been revamped because of this latest movie, but like Neo said lets hope it doesn't create a new curse.

Edit: Soul Bro I salute you for fighting valiantly against the combined attacks of Neo and Chris. :lol:
Last edited by Red Comet90 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn