ydawg314

Re: ShadowCell Draws Stuff and Puts it On the Internets

that ship is epic
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
Areku

ShadowCell wrote:I think it's 730 meters. I eyeballed it, to be honest, and for all I know my eyeballs don't measure at all.
I thought your number sounded a little off, so I thought I'd try to estimate the length of the Charlemagne with pixel counting. In particular, I used the Archangel and it's Gottfrieds as reference. I had to make some eyeball estimations too, but most of my work was simple trig (ooooh, math :P).

Long story short, I measured the Gottfrieds in both images along their lengths (in pixels), then measured each ship along its length. I presume (I mentioned eyeballing, right?) that it's more or less a straight line across Charlemagne's bow and stern, making for an easy measurement. Archangel... not so much. That's where the trig came in. I can go into more detail if you want, but I essentially found the midpoints (along the ships centerline) between the stern missile sections, the "feet", and the top of the "joints" of the "legs", then estimated the maximum length of the ship along it's centerline (again, some eyeballing involved).

I then gave each ship a measurement in "Gottfrieds", which is just the length of each ship's centerline divided by the measurement of their respective Gottfrieds. Archangel was about 7.1337 Gottfrieds, and Charlemagne was 19.526 Gottfrieds. Taking Charlemagne(Gottfrieds) divided by Archangel(Gottfrieds), I found Charlemagne to be as long as 2.7367 Archangels.

With Archangel's length at 420 meters, I estimate Charlemagne to be about 1150 meters, so call it somewhere in the range of 1100-1200 meters.

My, what a big ship you have. :wink:
ShadowCell

Well, "big" works too. =P
ShadowCell

meh

GN-X201 Omega Gundam
Since Sunrise keeps churning out new 00 designs and invalidating the ones I come up with, bwaha! Salvaged the old one.

GNXi-X01/B Leukos
GNXi-X02/S Purros
GNXi-X03/T Melas
GNXi-X04/R Khloros

And other stuff:

RMS/PX-002 Noventa
Pretty much The O as done by the Space Revolutionary Army of Gundam X.

XXXG-00W0S Wing Gundam Seraphim
The Wing Gundam Seraphim from the apparently little known Wing sidestory Tiel's Impulse. Replaced the buster rifle with a beam submachinegun and meh.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

(Okay, I am going to fucking die if I don't quit soon. Let's make this the last one.)

ShadowCell, some thoughts have occured to me about your work. Let's see if you find them useful at all. =)

You and I have already discussed at length the various line-lifting methods that we use. You trace your pencilwork on a new layer in Shop. While I notice that your lineart DOES improve over time, it doesn't seem as exact as it could be. Here is my suggestion: I know you are using your pencil sketch as a lineart guide, but my suggestion is just that! Let the original scan just guide your trace. You don't have to follow the lines exactly. If you can stand to have your Shop trace stray from the original, you could potentially tighten up a lot of your lineart and perform a lot of geometry fixes. I think it might be cool to try that out. =)

And forgive me if this comes off as a backhanded compliment, but you have so many designs! I can't imagine churning out so many and putting enough focus on one. And no, I'm not at all talking about taking my time with a drawing. I'm talking about refining a single design over time with a successive number of attempts. You've seen it happen in my thread. I'll post a new picture of a design I've drawn previously in maybe two or three attempts, and they get better with each shot. I think this is because I am already familiar with the design concept and general geometry of the thing, so I am much more comfortable to just focus on the quality of the lineart. I know it gets annoying redrawing things, but I think this sort of practice can be very good for people! =)

(I'm a fan of doing things the hard way.)

As for your recent entries, I think I really like the Noventa. I can't really say why. I guess the The O is pretty special to me, however much I might dislike it also. (Sorry if that's confusing.) And drawing Katoki style wing binders is really frikkin' hard, ain't it! Hahaha. :P Your design is pretty bulky for a Wing Gundam!

Anyway, those are just some random thoughts. I hope they helped some, if at all. Keep drawing, sir. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
ShadowCell

Well, that's probably 'cuz I don't always trace my linework over with the pen tool. In most of these, the pencil sketch is literally what I use as my lineart, albeit with a lot of cleaning up.
Seraphic

So I suppose my careless assumption has made me come across as the internet's biggest douche. -________-; I usually can't tell between pen tooled lineart and lifted lineart unless I zoom in at 600x, but I suppose a lot of people may be like that. =x My sincere apologies, Lord of Darkness.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

ShadowCell

Eh, no problem. Sometimes I trace over my lineart with the pen tool, but for just plain mecha drawings, I usually try to rely on what I drew by hand and clean it up in PS as needed.
ShadowCell

Not sure whether this would go in the Model forum or here, but what the hell.

hai gaiz I made this out of Legos and a Lego ripoff called Mega Bloks.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2796/ship01.jpg
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7963/ship02.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8811/ship03.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9834/ship04.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4965/ship05.jpg
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3986/ship06z.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1268/ship07.jpg
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1872/ship08.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2088/ship09.jpg
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2581/ship10f.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8616/ship11.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8218/ship12.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4725/ship13.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9525/ship14.jpg

Little details continue to vex me, but eh, what'll ya do.

Four feet long and about two feet high. I made this thing out of four Mega Bloks Pro Builders kits; a 26" destroyer kit I bought several years ago, a 16" destroyer kit I bought a couple weeks ago, and two 16" kits of the Frankenthal-class minehunter in use by the German Navy. I also used a whole crapload of Legos from when I was a little kid, whose origins I can no longer recall. It took about two days to assemble, not counting all the waiting for different kits to arrive. It represents no actual ship and probably has all kinds of engineering inaccuracies and mistakes that, were it to be actually constructed, would probably cause it to explode or sink or something, because I know nothing of nautical engineering and really just wanted to make a cool giant Lego ship. Inspiration for the design came from various modern warships, like the modernized Iowa-class battleship, the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, the Soviet-built Kirov-class battlecruiser, and the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser. If my scaling is correct, it is in 1/315th scale and if it were full size, it would be just slightly longer than the 263-meter IJN Yamato. The gun turrets were built according to the instructions from the Mega Bloks kits; others, like the missile launchers and CIWS, didn't really leave any other way to build them. The helicopters are Micro Machines, also survivors from when I was a little kid.

I am unsure just how much brute finger strength it took to assemble this thing, but judging by how much my fingers hurt when I was done, it was probably a lot.
Seraphic

Uh...ShadowCell?

Does any of this look familiar? =(

(And your house looks nice, haha.)
-Antares

ShadowCell

YouTube won't let me leave a comment, but yes, they do look familiar. =P

I can't say I'm really annoyed at the fact that someone put my art on YouTube and showed it off, but a link to my dA page wouldn't have hurt.

Oh well.
ShadowCell

meh

Made myself a new wallpaper. The tradition continues. Some things, like why Schneizel stole Lelouch's Emperor outfit, are known but to me.

and like what the hell nobody's gonna look at this anyway. >> On the off-chance someone does, however, mostly I'd just like comments on how it came out and what I need to improve.
Dean_the_Young

ShadowCell wrote:meh

Made myself a new wallpaper. The tradition continues. Some things, like why Schneizel stole Lelouch's Emperor outfit, are known but to me.

and like what the hell nobody's gonna look at this anyway. >> On the off-chance someone does, however, mostly I'd just like comments on how it came out and what I need to improve.
Who are the two below Charles? (And am I missing Suzaku entirely?)
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
ShadowCell

Suzaku and Carline, aged eight years.

In a nutshell, Suzaku reluctantly marries into the royal family via Carline at Chuckles' suggestion, gaining princely power, prestige, and privilege. Carline digs it because Suzaku is one of the foremost warriors of the empire, and Suzaku just sort of puts up with it.
Dean_the_Young

ShadowCell wrote:Suzaku and Carline, aged eight years.

In a nutshell, Suzaku reluctantly marries into the royal family via Carline at Chuckles' suggestion, gaining princely power, prestige, and privilege. Carline digs it because Suzaku is one of the foremost warriors of the empire, and Suzaku just sort of puts up with it.
Carline an OC? She looks... clingy. Hot, but clingy.

What sort of storyline you got in mind for that rewrite?
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
ShadowCell

Carline's a canon character; I just aged her by eight or nine years. She's, like, the exact opposite of Nunnally, so while Nunnally might like Suzaku because he's a friend and he's always got her back, Carline likes him because he's really good at killing people and that just turns her on.

I can PM you some notes if you want. It's still sketchy.
Dean_the_Young

ShadowCell wrote:Carline's a canon character; I just aged her by eight or nine years. She's, like, the exact opposite of Nunnally, so while Nunnally might like Suzaku because he's a friend and he's always got her back, Carline likes him because he's really good at killing people and that just turns her on.

I can PM you some notes if you want. It's still sketchy.
Please and thankyou. Your AU's are always a delight.

Official Jerid Fanboy
erikvonkreigler

Much better than anything I could do. Lelouch looks like he'd have a stereotypical evil British accent though. And Charles still looks like he's related to Lord General Cornwallis from the Revolutionary War (Though nothing but a new hairstyle will change it). I can see Charles with maybe a shaved head or something.
ShadowCell

I...err, can't.

Though I suppose I could see VV shaving his head just to piss him off...
Seraphic

You're quite good with costumes and shading them, ShadowCell. Everything generally looks well done. Make sure the hands aren't too small. And I don't know if you practice this already or not, but it helps me to draw out all of a person's head before I add their hair on. Sure it looks pretty creepy in the interim :x :lol: , but the end result looks better because I've got the structure done properly. Try using a heavier line for the eyelashes on your female characters. Kallen's sword might be somewhat too long.

Nunnaly sure looks interesting. I'm wondering if we'll get another view of her eventually?
-Antares