Blackout's Gundamworks (Lineart Modification)

The place to share your artwork.
BlackoutDown

Blackout's Gundamworks (Lineart Modification)

Hi guys. You know, for all the time I've spent on MAHQ I've never actually come over to check out the forums. I didn't know you guys posted up fanart and custom lineart.

I've been in the game for almost ten years now (Gundam Wing got me into Gundam in the first place, started my lineart editing maybe '01). Typically I enjoy working with Mark Simmons' Gundam Project lineart, so all original credit for nearly everything I work with goes to him. I was devastated when Gundam Project closed down, it was really an amazing website, and I could only imagine what he could have done with it if it was able to keep going.

So, anyway, I'll post some examples I guess first. I'd like to be able to take requests soon but I need to load photoshop and some other tools onto this laptop. Most of my hard editing at the pixel level is done simply in paint, though.

RGZ-91A1 : Inspired by a model of the ReGZ I saw in one of the hobby magazines in demonstration colors. I added binders to make it appear as if it has its own transformation mode without the BWS, along with a shield. The Zeta Plus series mobile suits are personal favorites of mine.

RGZ-91C1 : Same as above really, though this one is in rollout colors. Also have an alternate rifle that's comprised of several weapon modifications here.

RGM-89SP : I actually took the rifle from the above alternate from this unit created later on. Colors are sort of an homage to the White Dingo MS team, from one of the only truly well-done Gundam Games that came to the U.S.

RX-78NT-2 O.A.S.I.S. : I had written specifications for most of my edits, though this one I was especially annoyed at losing. I recall that O.A.S.I.S. stood for Onboard Air and Space Integration System. I detailed it as a testbed unit for the RX-78GP01-Fb's interchangeable core fighter system for air and space utilization.

XXXG-01SRv : A little playing around. A Sandrock (My first favorite mobile suit) with a Nu Gundam theme. The little rose was drawn by a dear friend of mine, Courtney Bruce, because I really can't actually draw to save my own life.

OZ-13MS2 Epyon Kai : I could swear I'd seen this done before, and I just wanted to try my hand at redoing it. I just don't recall where I'd seen it. Anyway, an Epyon Gundam done mostly with Wing Zero Kai and Deathscythe Hell Kai parts. Quality is iffy, this is an older one of mine. EDIT Note: Red Zaku redid this a while back, cleaned up the lines and added some different coloration. Looks pretty good, nice job!

Added 05/26/09:
XXXG-01DSC Deathscythe "Scarecrow" Custom : When I first started customizing lineart, it was mostly for Gundam Wing. One thing I've noticed customizing GW Lineart is that it works best when you use parts primarily from one evolution. In this case, I think all parts are from DS and DSH from the TV series. None from the EW.

Added 05/27/09:
RX-178-6 Gundam G-6 Mk. II : A variation on the Mk. II themed around the RX-78-6, with colors appearing in the Zeonic Front game, the unit nicknamed "Mudrock".

RX-178-4 G-4 Mk. II : Same type of unit as above, just with the G-4 Variation theme. I may play around with this unit to make it more resemble the Encounters in Space version.

RX-179[G] Ground combat Gundam Mk. II : Yeah, as name implies.

Added 05/28/09
A set of assault type mobile suits made roughly the same way that I'd done for a friend who requested. Lot of heavy weapons etc.

AMS-119K Assault Weapons Type : Features another custom rifle, among several armaments.

MS-06FzK Zaku II Kai Assault Weapons Type : More or less same as above. Features a gatling cannon mounted underneath the long shield.

MMS-01b (OZ-17MSb) Serpent Assault Weapons Type : Yeah. See above.

And more random stuff.

RGM-90 / RGM-91 Spartan : I'm not sure which of the model numbers are taken, doesn't appear as if either are. Just a slight upgrade from the Jegan.

OZ-00MSr Tallgeese R : I called this Type R and I don't really remember why. Probably just sounded cool. Features stronger leg units and larger vents underneath the chest.

RX-78GP03S-Fb Stamen Full Vernier Equipment : This is one of my old favorites. I outfitted a Stamen with most of the Fb parts, save for the core fighter's backpack thruster units (I kept the standard thrusters with the booster wings on the hips).

Added 05/29/09
MRX-178(?) Gundam Mk. II Psycommu Test : I don't remember why I messed with this. Sort of a mini Psycho Gundam.

RX-79[G]Ez8/HMC Ver 2 : My take on the High Mobility Custom inspired by this listing.

MSN-04b Sazabi Alt. : Inspired by this model listing, I just decided to recreate with new colors, a small shield and an somewhat elongated rifle barrel. I also fine edited the face plate to resemble the model, looks like more of a little slit. Now that I think about it, somewhat reminds me of the Tallgeese. Maybe I'll do a crossover with it somehow later.

RX-78-6 Kit-Bash : Basically took parts form all over the place to recreate the Mudrock Gundam from Zeonic Front for fun. (Put this together AFTER the 178-6 model)

XXXG-01H2/HMC : Got to like that backpack mount and tried it on this Heavyarms unit. Found I liked the single gatling arm from the original better as well. Took the darker blue down to a black.

A gouf series themed around the Zaku FZ. I don't recall whether or not I came up with the concept for the base model, but I went and created three more after it. On some of them, I left the shoulder armor gray to give the impression that the shoulder equip is customizable to the pilot's preference.

MS-07FZ Gouf Kai : Standard Issue.

MS-07FZ[J] Gouf Kai Ground Type : Related to the J type Zaku from 8th MS team in equipment.

MS-07FZ[D] Gouf Kai Tropical / Desert Type : Yeah, well, name.

MS-07FZ[S] Gouf Kai Command Type : Colors are a bit off, not sure what I wanted to do with them.

Comments and criticisms welcome. I can't take requests at the moment, like I said, need to upload the software yet. Special thanks again to Mark Simmons for all of the originals that obsessively saved.
Last edited by BlackoutDown on Fri May 29, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Gaiden1992

Re: Blackout's Gundamworks (Lineart Modification)

Great work. My favorite would definitely be the RGZ models. (I have a soft spot for mass-production models that don't look bargain-bin.

One question though, what did you do to make the rifles? They look tight!
It's my world, you just don't know it yet.

Killzone: A World of War RP
BlackoutDown

Yeah so do I lol. ReGZ really looked great. Thanks a lot.

The rifle on the 91A1 is stock. The first C1's rifle was taken from the RX-178+FXA-05D Super Gundam, just took off the blue binders on the top and bottom.

The second rifle is a composite of several weapons, including the 120mm Assault Rifle and I believe it was the 90mm assault rifle butt & scope. I elongated the nozzle and the scope to give it a more sniper-esque look. Supposed to be solid munitions as well.

Unfortunately I don't think any official lineart exists for those weapons besides what Simmons had put on the different Zeonic Front mobile suits.
BlackoutDown

Here's another I forgot I already had on Photobucket. Need to get others from my old laptop.

XXXG-01DSC Deathscythe "Scarecrow" Custom : When I first started customizing lineart, it was mostly for Gundam Wing. One thing I've noticed customizing GW Lineart is that it works best when you use parts primarily from one evolution. In this case, I think all parts are from DS and DSH from the TV series. None from the EW.
Lt.Harrison

I was wondering if you knew thw whereabouts or have an customized Kampfer-U.

Thx
185th Heavy Mobile Suit Division
BlackoutDown

I've messed with one or two kampfer units. I searched Google real fast for the one you were referring to (I'm guessing its a customized model from someone else who's posted here). The link refers me back to a thread on this website but I couldn't open the picture for some reason.

But yeah. Google it and see if you can open it. I can't for some reason.

Edit: To be clear, the "Kaempfer-U" isn't mine, don't want to accidentally take credit for it.
Lt.Harrison

Oh ino i happen to use one, i was just wondering if you could make a black customized one for me... you are taking requests now right?
BlackoutDown

I can't at the moment, I don't have photoshop software or anything else to work with colors on this laptop yet. Everything posted are older projects. I could give it a shot sometime later perhaps.
BlackoutDown

Some Mk. II Upgrades

RX-178-6 Gundam G-6 Mk. II : A variation on the Mk. II themed around the RX-78-6, with colors appearing in the Zeonic Front game, the unit nicknamed "Mudrock".

RX-178-4 G-4 Mk. II : Same type of unit as above, just with the G-4 Variation theme. I may play around with this unit to make it more resemble the Encounters in Space version.

RX-179[G] Ground combat Gundam Mk. II : Yeah, as name implies.
BlackoutDown

Random stuff I just pulled.

A set of assault type mobile suits made roughly the same way that I'd done for a friend who requested. Lot of heavy weapons etc.

AMS-119K Assault Weapons Type : Features another custom rifle, among several armaments.

MS-06FzK Zaku II Assault Weapons Type : More or less same as above. Features a gatling cannon mounted underneath the long shield.

And more random stuff.

RGM-90 / RGM-91 Spartan : I'm not sure which of the model numbers are taken, doesn't appear as if either are. Just a slight upgrade from the Jegan.

OZ-00MSr Tallgeese R : I called this Type R and I don't really remember why. Probably just sounded cool. Features stronger leg units and larger vents underneath the chest.

RX-78GP03S-Fb Stamen Full Vernier Equipment : This is one of my old favorites. I outfitted a Stamen with most of the Fb parts, save for the core fighter's backpack thruster units (I kept the standard thrusters with the booster wings on the hips).
Lt.Harrison

Very cool but... please tell me when you have your software up and running, thank you..
Strike Zero

Lt.Harrison wrote:Very cool but... please tell me when you have your software up and running, thank you..
You know, there is another place you can ask to have custom lineart done. You don't have to keep bugging Blackout about it.
BlackoutDown wrote:AMS-119K Assault Weapons Type : Features another custom rifle, among several armaments.

MS-06FzK Zaku II Assault Weapons Type : More or less same as above. Features a gatling cannon mounted underneath the long shield.

You know what they say. "Everything is always better with MOAR DAKKA." :D
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
BlackoutDown

Strike Zero wrote: You know what they say. "Everything is always better with MOAR DAKKA." :D
Damn Right.
Lt.Harrison

Well then god damn where than because i certainly cant find it.
BlackoutDown

Custom Lineart Request Thread #5

They should be able to help you there. I may start attempting some if/when I get CS on this laptop.
BlackoutDown

Some more random stuff.

MRX-178(?) Gundam Mk. II Psycommu Test : I don't remember why I messed with this. Sort of a mini Psycho Gundam.

RX-79[G]Ez8/HMC Ver 2 : My take on the High Mobility Custom inspired by this listing.

MSN-04b Sazabi Alt. : Inspired by this model listing, I just decided to recreate with new colors, a small shield and an somewhat elongated rifle barrel. I also fine edited the face plate to resemble the model, looks like more of a little slit. Now that I think about it, somewhat reminds me of the Tallgeese. Maybe I'll do a crossover with it somehow later.

RX-78-6 Kit-Bash : Basically took parts form all over the place to recreate the Mudrock Gundam from Zeonic Front for fun. (Put this together AFTER the 178-6 model)

XXXG-01H2/HMC : Got to like that backpack mount and tried it on this Heavyarms unit. Found I liked the single gatling arm from the original better as well. Took the darker blue down to a black.
BlackoutDown

A gouf series themed around the Zaku FZ. I don't recall whether or not I came up with the concept for the base model, but I went and created three more after it. On some of them, I left the shoulder armor gray to give the impression that the shoulder equip is customizable to the pilot's preference.

MS-07FZ Gouf Kai : Standard Issue.

MS-07FZ[J] Gouf Kai Ground Type : Related to the J type Zaku from 8th MS team in equipment.

MS-07FZ[D] Gouf Kai Tropical / Desert Type : Yeah, well, name.

MS-07FZ[S] Gouf Kai Command Type : Colors are a bit off, not sure what I wanted to do with them.
Ryuuzin

Your stuff is pretty impressive. I started modifying mobile suits. I'll be sure to post them in the near future. A few aren't colored in but still look pretty cool.
Do not ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee.
Amadi Akintunde

...you know? I like some of the colors you put on these things. They're not all immediately eye-catching and seem almost normal.

Though I'm curious,
O.A.S.I.S. stood for Onboard Air and Space Integration System
Mind explaining that a bit more?
Strike_Rouge_Mk2

This may be just me but, I think this thread was necro'd by Ryuuzin and the original poster is long gone.
Zeonic Glory wrote:Sorry to ask this but, what does kawaii mean?
Be kawaii and visit the Art and Multimedia section.