Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 23-11-10

The place to share your artwork.
young_oldtype

Re: Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 18-05-09

Day 3 and nobody still bit so, I guess I can post now. Phew, I do look like a spammer in my own thread :roll: .

Okay, so the following is up:
Panther G-3 redesign: This guy is built to operate in cities and such so umm, can anybody suggest two colors for the paint job?
Panther G-2 (colored)

Hah, the last (for now) redesign is done. Now I can move on to bring these two mechs I had in my mind to life, specifically AW-2 Alphard and AWX-3 Regulus. If you guys remember the Rigel, then I guess Alphard will be a familiar sight when done. Again opinions, reactions, critiques and colony drops are absolutely welcome. 8)

EDIT: Name changed for the sake of consistency with the existing naming scheme.
Last edited by young_oldtype on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN:
Praxis
jjarodurandal

Re: Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 21-05-09

If the G-3's supposed to fight in cities, urban camo schemes tend to be white, black and shades of grey. if you're looking for a solid color scheme as opposed to camo, i'd think grey for the main color and black for the secondary would still look pretty cool. blue and white could give it a police look if that's what you're going for.
young_oldtype

Why thanks for the response to my query. By camo do you mean the pattern? Well I fail miserably at that on first try so I guess the second option (gray and black) would do.
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
jjarodurandal

it is kinda hard to do camo. Try getting the the suit colored with you're main colors first, then look for large patches of one color and breaking them up with shades of that color.

if you look at the G-2 you colored, the legs, shoulder, hips, head and arms are all the same tan color. to do a camo effect without the pain of traditional or digicam camo patterns, try throwing some bars of a darker or lighter color in to break up these fields of color. That'll probably be easier than tiny tiny blobs or squares.

I've never tried this approach myself as i rarely like my sketches enough to color them, but you might give it a shot.
young_oldtype

Some bars eh? I guess it should work better than this. Meh.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
ydawg314

I think this design would be a lot better if you could move the head slightly back and give it a better posture.
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
young_oldtype

An upright posture? Hmm, I guess I made it stoop a bit too much. I'll sure try that next time.

EDIT: Okay, colors on Panther G-3 are done now. Based on jjarodurandal's suggestion a few posts ago and took me around four hours.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
young_oldtype

08 Jun. 2009 Update

Finally, I'm updating this thread again. I've been actually working on a different design until this thing distracted me:
M-70A Tigerwolf
Bad stuff again as usual. :P Here's the colored version. Now that took me two days due to laziness. So then comments, opinions, critiques, and colony drops are absolutely welcome.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
ydawg314

Re: Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 08-06-09

this design looks good :)
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
young_oldtype

Re: Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 08-06-09

Thanks ydawg314, though I feel it looks a bit GM-ish.

Anyway, I'm dropping by again to post a fanart. Of what else, but the almighty Zaku II. Heh, can't help doing one, me being a Zaku II fanboy. :P Put a few homages there, and oh, I decided to stick with the monoeye concept. 8)

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
young_oldtype

Re: Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 20-06-09

Hi everyone, I'm back with a supposedly massive update. However, due to technical difficulties, I'm only able to finish a few works, just three in fact. Could've done more of those OCs had my 0.3 pen not spilled. So, here we go.

Let me start with the colored version of that Zaku I've posted a few weeks ago.
http://xperimental00.deviantart.com/art ... -130690042
I did a lot of experimentation there. Instead of darker and lighter hues, I used Photoshop's dodge and burn tools for the light and shading respectively. Anyway, did I do the soft lighting and weathering right?

So then let me proceed to this OC.
Strafe Wesson
Named after a certain real world arms manufacturer and a good old harassing tactic. He's gonna be my protagonist and I hope he's not gonna be Mary Sue (any tips for that matter people?). And yes, I draw bishies too. :P

Finally, here's a crappily finished mech:
AWX-3 Regulus
My latest and most lazily done. Quality control's pretty lax, explaining some of those badly assymetric tidbits. And oh, that's where I lost that precious pen.

A rather bad update for this sad and gloomy day. Now then, I guess I should get back studying for the exams.
Last edited by young_oldtype on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Ryujin

young_oldtype wrote:Let me start with the colored version of that Zaku I've posted a few weeks ago.
http://xperimental00.deviantart.com/art ... -130690042
I did a lot of experimentation there. Instead of darker and lighter hues, I used Photoshop's dodge and burn tools for the light and shading respectively. Anyway, did I do the soft lighting and weathering right?
It's a pretty good colouring job, imho. A couple of minor suggestions on my part, though.

Some of the spatters (mud? Blood?) look kind of dribbled on, so I'd suggest using the smudge tool to give them some more 'streaking,' as if the fluid was really getting smeared or splashed around. I'd also suggest lightening some of the corners & edges even further, especially the feet, the dents in the armour & the nicks in the heat hawk's blade to represent the paint being worn down or scraped off to bare metal.
young_oldtype

Ryujin wrote:Some of the spatters (mud? Blood?) look kind of dribbled on, so I'd suggest using the smudge tool to give them some more 'streaking,' as if the fluid was really getting smeared or splashed around. I'd also suggest lightening some of the corners & edges even further, especially the feet, the dents in the armour & the nicks in the heat hawk's blade to represent the paint being worn down or scraped off to bare metal.
Great suggestions Ryujin, thanks. I find the raw PSD still editable so I guess I'll try them out. I got a bit lazy with the blood splatters there so I simply slapped them all over and erased unwanted parts. Anyway, was the white in the scratches good enough?

EDIT: I did it! Or did I?

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I have not forgotten! (So much to catch up on!)

Yep, it's official. young_oldtype is my superior. It makes me quite happy. However, I'm still always around to give out tips, too. =)

http://xperimental00.deviantart.com/art ... -123187252
http://xperimental00.deviantart.com/art ... -123183203
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2397 ... fpcamo.jpg

There's a couple of things that I consistently notice about your Panthers. Your lineart is improving and growing more detailed all the time, of course. I suspect that all of your Panther remakes still make use of the original drawing somehow, so it carries over some of the initial problems. How about you give a shot at drawing the guy from scratch? =) My biggest problem with it (and it's a common problem a lot of people exhibit that annoys me to no end) is that the sword handle is far too thin. He'd never be able to grip it properly. Try to make the handle about half as wide as the palm or something.

http://xperimental00.deviantart.com/art ... -125161509

Nice design. But the same thing goes for his sword, too. I think the reason people keep bringing up posture when they look at your work is because of this: the way you draw your torsos, they always look like they are bending forward. (I guess people are too spoiled by looking at Gundam lineart which bends the torso back slightly.) That might just be a design choice, but the issue is that the mecha is slouching forward ahead of its center of balance. So yeah, the mechs look off balance. If you want to continue drawing the torsos this way, you should adjust accordingly and perhaps have them bending at the knees or something. I also notice that your skirts are always slanted to the side or something. (And this is very obvious because the lines on the skirt are diagonal instead of vertical.) I've always struggled with posture, so I guess we both need practice.

http://xperimental00.deviantart.com/art ... -132188916

Very good. This one seems to improve on the posture, especially because of the bending legs. (By the way, I hope you know that you actually linked to a thumbnail of this image in your earlier post. I had to dig for the actual piece.) The arms are quite long on this guy. I hope he makes good use of that.

http://xperimental00.deviantart.com/art ... -126483937

Wow. I feel terrible for the GM guy though. I guess I've always been a bit squeamish, so decapitation isn't really my cup of tea. =o

http://xperimental00.deviantart.com/art ... -130304294

Yup. Definitely my superior. He's very thin and lanky. Reminds me a lot of Suzaku Kururugi, haha. My compliments for doing such a good job on his boots. So many people neglect footwear, such as myself.

I should probably get a dA account so I can see everything, but I've been neglecting to do that. I'm apprehensive about viruses, and about dumb people leaving mean comments on my mediocre stuff. >_>; I also wish I could read and write in another language. Being very literate in the English language is useful, but nowhere near as interesting.

Wcch! =o

EDIT: Oh yeah.... Why did it take you four hours to recolor the Panther to urban colors? If you have your colors done in a separate layer, a dumb trick I like to use in Photoshop is to lock the unused pixels and then brush everything over with my new color. (It's useful to make a copy of the color layer first and edit that instead.) It takes like 4 seconds, and it doesn't bleed over the edges like the paintbucket tool might. That's how I managed to make a crapload of recolors for the Celestial Gundam so fast. I don't like the color replacement tool because I can't seem to use it as precisely as I want.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Ryujin

young_oldtype wrote:EDIT: I did it! Or did I?
Aye, I think you did! :wink:
young_oldtype

The quick, quick edit worked? Wow. The gazillion something layers sure come in handy.
Seraphic wrote:Yep, it's official. young_oldtype is my superior.
But I'm just a regular Air Force reservist...And an Airman at that. :P
There's a couple of things that I consistently notice about your Panthers. Your lineart is improving and growing more detailed all the time, of course. I suspect that all of your Panther remakes still make use of the original drawing somehow, so it carries over some of the initial problems. How about you give a shot at drawing the guy from scratch? =) My biggest problem with it (and it's a common problem a lot of people exhibit that annoys me to no end) is that the sword handle is far too thin. He'd never be able to grip it properly. Try to make the handle about half as wide as the palm or something.
Yep, all the Panthers are traced from that old notepaper drawing. Meh, I'm kinda lazy :P. Idunno but they didn't get much love from me until that last redesign. As for the sword, well I might try your suggestion on the handle. The thing's based on the Sword Strike's AS sword, only solid, shorter, and functions like a heat hawk. My mistake for following it's proportions.
Nice design. But the same thing goes for his sword, too. I think the reason people keep bringing up posture when they look at your work is because of this: the way you draw your torsos, they always look like they are bending forward. (I guess people are too spoiled by looking at Gundam lineart which bends the torso back slightly.) That might just be a design choice, but the issue is that the mecha is slouching forward ahead of its center of balance. So yeah, the mechs look off balance. If you want to continue drawing the torsos this way, you should adjust accordingly and perhaps have them bending at the knees or something. I also notice that your skirts are always slanted to the side or something. (And this is very obvious because the lines on the skirt are diagonal instead of vertical.) I've always struggled with posture, so I guess we both need practice.
The torso bending is from an old figure drawing philosophy of showing as much angle of the figure as possible in a single pose. I tried to show the rather plain top view in this case. I'm trying to get away from that habit as of recently, but I guess it keeps coming back.
Very good. This one seems to improve on the posture, especially because of the bending legs. (By the way, I hope you know that you actually linked to a thumbnail of this image in your earlier post. I had to dig for the actual piece.) The arms are quite long on this guy. I hope he makes good use of that.
My bad, it is a thumb! I'll be fixing the link right away, sorry for the inconvenience. The arms by the way are for longer reach in melee combat as it was inspired by the Arche Gundam lol. :P
Wow. I feel terrible for the GM guy though. I guess I've always been a bit squeamish, so decapitation isn't really my cup of tea. =o
I might feel the same if it's either a Quel or Custom. I don't know why I don't like the original GM much.
Yup. Definitely my superior. He's very thin and lanky. Reminds me a lot of Suzaku Kururugi, haha. My compliments for doing such a good job on his boots. So many people neglect footwear, such as myself.
Suzaku? My friends often say Strafe looks like him! Only they refer to him, probably by mistake, as Lelouch. :lol: I'm surprised that you said I did the boots well actually. I've been lazy on that part, neglected the sole grooves for simplicity's sake, and replaced the clearly defined laces with those bold crisscross lines. Thanks anyway.
EDIT: Oh yeah.... Why did it take you four hours to recolor the Panther to urban colors?
I colored from scratch actually. Not to mention it actually took some time to select the "perfect gray". I'm just curious, how do you lock the unused pixels? Many thanks in advance.

Gaaah, my connection's really bad tonight...

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

young_oldtype wrote:I colored from scratch actually. Not to mention it actually took some time to select the "perfect gray". I'm just curious, how do you lock the unused pixels? Many thanks in advance.
On your layers box, there are some buttons. The boxy one locks the unused pixels. The brush locks the used pixels. The arrow locks movement, and the lock itself just locks everything in the layer.

Just a reminder, this recolor method is only useful if you have your lineart lifted into a layer, and your colors are in separate layers from that.

Yeah, I don't like the first GMs, either. They look too much like oldschool super robots. Customs are my favorite, and have you ever seen a GM Custom Full Vernian?? That thing's a beauty.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
young_oldtype

It worked! Thanks for that very, very helpful tip Seraphic. :D Now that should make life a bit easier.
Seraphic wrote:Customs are my favorite, and have you ever seen a GM Custom Full Vernian?? That thing's a beauty.
There is one? Gotta look it up.

Oh wait, here it is. The badass visor seems lacking in this variant but it's still as hot and awesome as its 0083 siblings.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
young_oldtype

Wow, it's quite a while since my last visit. How's everyone? Trolls been around lately?

As usual, I'll be posting some of my crappy stuff here. The designs are all remakes as I don't have novel concepts yet. So then, here they are:
Rigel - I adopted angular shapes and a hopefully meaner head for the redesign of this one, and replaced it's Eva-esque "abdomen" with a stalky version of that from my other designs. All that to give that mech a little more sense.
Gendarme - The original concept in fact is inspired by Titan mobile suits. I ended up with this stockier, super robot-ish redesign after several criticisms, advices, and suggestions from fellow artists.

Now for something different, here's Strafe in colors. Guess I need to put in some decals on him.

That's it for now ladies and gentlemen. As always, comments, criticisms, and colony drops are absolutely welcome. :D

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Ryujin

I like this redesign of the Rigel. It's much less cluttered than the original, and the forward-leaning stance, accentuated by the head & the 'dog-leg' style of leg articulation, lets it retain its predatory look.