Ep. 034 - Ga-Ga-Ga-Gundamn!!!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Ep. 034 - Ga-Ga-Ga-Gundamn!!!

Red Comet90 wrote:Just finished the cliche's segment and it was hilarious and at the same time so true. One cliche that was forgotten that doesn't only apply to Mecha anime but anime in general is the girl who is really mean to everyone including the main character but on the inside is really a nice girl. Kaname from FMP would be an example of that.
That would be the tsundere. You know something is a bonefied cliche when it has it's own name!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Red Comet90

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:Just finished the cliche's segment and it was hilarious and at the same time so true. One cliche that was forgotten that doesn't only apply to Mecha anime but anime in general is the girl who is really mean to everyone including the main character but on the inside is really a nice girl. Kaname from FMP would be an example of that.
That would be the tsundere. You know something is a bonefied cliche when it has it's own name!
YES! I couldn't think of the name at the time. I knew there was some term for that kind of girl.

And now that you mention that I can't help but bring this up. It always makes me laugh because its so true.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Destiny_Gundam

Red Comet90 wrote:And now that you mention that I can't help but bring this up. It always makes me laugh because its so true.
"S-S-Stupid Char! D-D-Don't get the wrong idea! I-I-It's not because I like you or anything!"

Sometimes I like me a tsundere (Yui from To Love Ru), but I hate them if they're excessively violent and never grow at all (Louise from Zero no Tsukaima). I suppose Haman would be the latter, but she's ok. At least in her case, Char wasn't head over heels for her, despite the abuse. Plus, Haman had a reason to be jilted. Louise will horse whip Saito if he even so much as glances at another girl.
speedstriker

Oh Chris, you are the best troll in all of the cosmos. The mightest of 4chan /m/ trolls shall bow down and grovel under your supreme trolling prowess. XD

I loled long and hard over your comment about the Univorn's announcement. Jolly good show!
"...most people who comes on Mechatalk hate me, it seems..."
Quoting a quote which was a quote from 4chan.

So you do lurk /m/ at 4chan. 8) I had a feeling some of the posts from a certain anon were worded exactly the same way you did in your podcasts. Good show.
Kaioshin Sama wrote:4channers by the month in how they just run with whoever has the loudest voice, instead of who has the most sensible one.
I completely agree with this. Not everyone on 4chan are like this, but there is way too much of this kind of ignorance for it to be good. If we can take away all the the senseless haters and trolls, /m/ would be a lovely place.
Chris wrote:Mic Sounders and Basara would be the best friends ever.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.
Last edited by speedstriker on Sun May 10, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
Destiny_Gundam

Speedstriker, you hit the quote button instead of the edit button.

I forgot to mention earlier, but Macross 7 is in SRW Alpha 3, so yeah. Basara + Mic Sounders happened.
Red Comet90

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:And now that you mention that I can't help but bring this up. It always makes me laugh because its so true.
"S-S-Stupid Char! D-D-Don't get the wrong idea! I-I-It's not because I like you or anything!"

Sometimes I like me a tsundere (Yui from To Love Ru), but I hate them if they're excessively violent and never grow at all (Louise from Zero no Tsukaima). I suppose Haman would be the latter, but she's ok. At least in her case, Char wasn't head over heels for her, despite the abuse. Plus, Haman had a reason to be jilted. Louise will horse whip Saito if he even so much as glances at another girl.
I second your statement. A tsundere would be nice but an excessively violent one is going too far. I don't think Haman falls under the 2nd category. I would only say she's violent because she has a gigantic mecha that can kill someone, but if she was pulled out of UC and put in a High School situation I highly doubt she'd be smacking Char on the cheek. Although that would be hilarious. :lol:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
speedstriker

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Speedstriker, you hit the quote button instead of the edit button.

I forgot to mention earlier, but Macross 7 is in SRW Alpha 3, so yeah. Basara + Mic Sounders happened.
Oh yeah, you're right.

As for Basara and Mic Sounders' rockin' 80's concert, I'm still wondering how in the world it was possible for them to not have a combination attack? Even the famous DYNAMIC SPECIAL was an SRW original wasn't it, or did I miss something?
Chris
Administrator

speedstriker wrote:So you do lurk /m/ at 4chan. 8) I had a feeling some of the posts from a certain anon were worded exactly the same way you did in your podcasts. Good show.
I'm always lurking and posting, but no one ever knows it's me, and when they accuse someone of being me, it isn't. :lol:
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

speedstriker wrote:As for Basara and Mic Sounders' rockin' 80's concert, I'm still wondering how in the world it was possible for them to not have a combination attack? Even the famous DYNAMIC SPECIAL was an SRW original wasn't it, or did I miss something?
You mean the Final Dynamic Special? Well, in that case, Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Getter Robo, and sometimes Grendizer are all Go Nagai titles. There's also the Combattler V, Voltes V and Daimos's combo attack, but those 3 are also by the same guy. Same with Zambot 3 and Daitarn 3. Both were Tomino/Sunrise shows. I can't think of any examples of cross company combo attacks.

At any rate, Alpha 3 still has everyone rockin out to GONG in the final battle.

But then there's always 4komas.
hotlimit

Soul Bro Ryu wrote: Title: "Who's That" (Instrumental)
Artist: Khrysis (Producer), Hall of Justus/The Justus League (Original Artists)
Album: "Khrysis: On The Boards With The Heat Vol. 1 (Mixed By DJ E-Nyce)"
Thanks, it's always appreciated. I've had a hard time finding some good hip hop ever since the local underground hip hop DJ disappeared from the face of the Earth 7 years ago. Who would have thought I'd have to look to mecha podcasts to find this stuff, hahaha.
speedstriker

Chris wrote:
speedstriker wrote:So you do lurk /m/ at 4chan. 8) I had a feeling some of the posts from a certain anon were worded exactly the same way you did in your podcasts. Good show.
I'm always lurking and posting, but no one ever knows it's me, and when they accuse someone of being me, it isn't. :lol:
Nope, it's never you. Even when I have so many Newtype flashes I was temporarily blinded, it can never actually be you. So this is the advantage of Anonymous.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
speedstriker wrote:As for Basara and Mic Sounders' rockin' 80's concert, I'm still wondering how in the world it was possible for them to not have a combination attack? Even the famous DYNAMIC SPECIAL was an SRW original wasn't it, or did I miss something?
I can't think of any examples of cross company combo attacks.

You're right! All the FDSs are performed by mechs from the same franchise/company! How could I have missed that? But then again, by that logic, we should have gotten a FDS where all the main Gundams shoot beam rifles.
ZeroBusterXX

speedstriker wrote:
Chris wrote:
Nope, it's never you. Even when I have so many Newtype flashes I was temporarily blinded, it can never actually be you. So this is the advantage of Anonymous.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
I can't think of any examples of cross company combo attacks.

You're right! All the FDSs are performed by mechs from the same franchise/company! How could I have missed that? But then again, by that logic, we should have gotten a FDS where all the main Gundams shoot beam rifles.
It's a Tomino franchise so Final Depressing Special?
speedstriker

Amuro: I can do this, they're only machines!
Camille: You wouldn't be dead if you haven't gotten in my way!
Judau: All kids are Newtypes!
Kou: GATOOO!!!
Seabook: You're finished!
Usso: This is for all those who you've murdered!!
Shiro: Stoooop! There is no need to fight!
ZeroBusterXX wrote:It's a Tomino franchise so Final Depressing Special?
Yup, sounds about right.
Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

I know it's a little late and I know Neo said E-mail the complaint but I couldn't be Arsed if SBR was the only one going to see it but here I go.

Adam I told you enough times now that I'm English not Scottish I mean if you said Brit or Briton I would not say anything but you said Scot. I am not A Jock, I am not a Taff, I am not a Paddy I may have lineage to couple of them but I am a Englishmen. You may call me a Brit, a Briton or my favourite a Great Briton but never a Jock (Scot), a Taff (Welsh) or a Paddy (Irish). Or do we have to make a wager on this Soul Cal 4 match we're meant to be having.

But on another note nice ep I really want to watch GGG .And from the news of the Gundam that shall not be named yet again it doesn't seem to amaze me on why peoiple give socialy inept people the right of free speech at least with the straight talk and fact check expresses we have something to shut them up.

And cliches well they're always needed but I don't think anyone said the classic Bond last few seconds cliche as demonstrated in Wing, Seed mainly.
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote: Oh, and the reason why ZAFT had a military full of teenagers is because in the PLANTs, you're considered an adult once you turn 13. And considering the coordinator boom was fairly recent, most of the population is that young.
Must fight...evil...want to make pedo-bear reference...breath, breath.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
speedstriker

Destiny_Gundam wrote: Oh, and the reason why ZAFT had a military full of teenagers is because in the PLANTs, you're considered an adult once you turn 13. And considering the coordinator boom was fairly recent, most of the population is that young.
Really now? Is this canon? If so, then I smell pedo fuel for all the potential Chars out there. No wonder SEED and Destiny is so popular in Japan...
Destiny_Gundam

speedstriker wrote:Really now? Is this canon? If so, then I smell pedo fuel for all the potential Chars out there. No wonder SEED and Destiny is so popular in Japan...
Yup, if I recall, ZAFT military training is 2 years. So kids join at 13, and they're in active service when they're 15. So this is why you have a bunch of 15-17 year olds running around in mobile suits. Also explains why Shinn was in full military service after just emigrating to the PLANTS.

As for it being a Pedo paradise... Well, that all depends on the kind of pedo we're talking about. Some pedos are only attracted to children simply because it's illegal. So making it legal defeats the purpose. Some are concerned with just numbers (the age), and 13 might be 'too old' for them. Then there's those in it for the physical aspect. Thirteen is a pretty iffy age. Some kids have long since hit puberty at that point, while others have not. So that all depends.

What type am I, you ask? Well, I'm an omnivore, so my only real preference is that it be a human female. I do have minimum and maximum values, of course. But my ideal type is the 'sweet and innocent' variety. It just so happens that this type of personality is more prevalent in younger girls.

Anyways, moving out of creepyville, the reason the PLANTS adulthood age is so low is because they want the coordinator 'race' is expand a quickly as possible. They want their kids to have kids sooner rather than later. Hense all the arranged marriages.
Vent Noir

Given that someone was asking here about Gaogaigar's release status, can I suggest that you mention the release status of any shows you spotlight in future?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Related: Age Test. =3

167 isn't all so bad. Otherwise, 20 is about right for me. And women are the most interesting after 30.

D_G: the arranged marriages are also a device for family politics, not to mention the fact of "controlled breeding".

I agree whole-heartedly about including release information along with your spotlights. You've got us all curious, so help us find what you're talking about! Doing this might break out of the realm of discussion and into commercials though. =p
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
speedstriker

Seraphic wrote:Related: Age Test. =3

167 isn't all so bad. Otherwise, 20 is about right for me. And women are the most interesting after 30.

D_G: the arranged marriages are also a device for family politics, not to mention the fact of "controlled breeding".

I agree whole-heartedly about including release information along with your spotlights. You've got us all curious, so help us find what you're talking about! Doing this might break out of the realm of discussion and into commercials though. =p
But...I like Miku.... Is it even worse than liking an anime character? I think I like most people have different standards for anime females versus real life females. If we're talking about fictional girls, I think I'd be into yandere the most.

Anyway, how did we get side tracked into talking about fictional girls? What was it we're supposed to be discussin again?