Ep. 033 - Last Rites

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Re: Ep. 033 - Last Rites

Seraphic wrote: I think I have a little something for Neo. See that card on the middle left?? Guntank has officially entered its God Mode. Not sure why its treads are wire guided also, though. =p And Soul Bro will find this amusing. I think it's awesome. It showed up in the Random Image thread. Chris's likes and quirks are a little harder to pin down for me. Let's see if anyone else can figure something in my place. =)
I'll check it out when I get home. Can't view here at work.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
ZeroBusterXX

Those pics are funny. So was the podcast by the way. I enjoyed Stargazer a lot more than I did DESTINY. I thought 00 was a good thing for the franchise as a whole and I enjoyed the whole series.
hotlimit

Awesome episode, I hope it's not the last! (not that Gundam itself is ending, but reviews and roundups are over for now, are they not?)

I loved the tribute to Fats, hahaha, boy did he eat it.
Kaioshin Sama

Igloo 2 actually finishes up in a couple of days. You can be sure I'll be covering that last episode as well. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the recognition by the way. To be honored by one of the pillars of mecha fandom means a lot to me.
xkiraisgodx

I liked the episode ;D really good but Im so sad we have to wait for more 00 =/ but the whole gundam 00 is going to be one of my favorites ;D
thanatos

Frankly, I'm happy that the Gundam 00 reviews are finally over. Now there'll be more segments that I can listen to without fear of spoilers.

Now the idea of a Gundam Roundup segment for SD Gundam or, dare I say it, Gundam Force, brings a smile to my face. G-Saviour might have been bad, but I can't wait to hear what has to be said about Gundam Force.

What I need is a good Mecha Spotlight. People can always use recommendations for good shows to watch. I want something better than what I'm currently dragging myself through, Mars Daybreak.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
Hono-san

This was a really nice episode. I've been listening to Gundamn! This whole week and just love all these gundam jokes. The joke I liked from this one was when you guys made the joke about headshot acheivements. Oh, how I will miss future gundam episode reviews. Long Live Lasse!
I don't really see these live actions movies coming out well. I've seen the "trailer" of evangelion movie and all the other movies but I agree with Chris, these seem like they will never come out.
Regarding the part in the begining with the robot beetle and spider robots, we just need a gundam walking around fighting these Godzilla-style.
~Hono-san
Very new follower of Gundamn!
http://hono-san.deviantart.com
check out my deviantart for some of my art, some similiar to my icon which was drawn and colored by me
Visit http://gundamnegativezero.blogspot.com/ for my upcoming gundam project
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Kaioshin Sama wrote:Thanks for the recognition by the way. To be honored by one of the pillars of mecha fandom means a lot to me.
I know don't about myself or Chris being pillars, the only real pillar on Gundamn is Soul Bro. He's the podcast superstar, you've heard the power he wields during reviews. Me and Chris are more like exterminators.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

skyknight

First off, thanks to you dudes for doing all the Gundamn! podcasts, even though I missed out on the first half of the series. It is GREAT hearing from mecha fans dishing out what they like'n'hate. I do hope the talks continue into other mecha anime such as Macross, Full Metal Panic!, Code Geass, and other classics that I that never seen.

Gundam 00, I would consider one of the best non-UC Gundam series, for the characters, mecha designs, and relevance to contemporary politics; you wouldn't find a UC Gundam that tries to tie-in with modern day politics, SEED/Destiny did try BUT FAILED. It was a necessary series, as I agree with Chris, to follow up with the horrible scriptwriting of SEED/Denstiny; and I sincerely hope the series can win back most of the Gundam fans outside of Japan.

If there was anything that I didn't like 00 S2, it would the irrelevant roles of secondary characters, especially Nena, Wang, and Hong Long, who did had some significant parts in S1. It look like the screenwriters forgot about them for about 80% of S2, and their deaths was more of clearing out all the loose ends from S1. I was hoping for Wang to survive with scars on her body, as a cruel irony for her wish of "change," but I won't lose any sleep over her death. Nena gets the know what of her karma, she gets killed by Louisse as she deserves in the o'skool Western showdown.

I don't know how would others do with the characters such as Wang and Nena for S2, best for them to die early or save it in the end for karma? I'm glad Saji and Marina didn't stray too far from their beliefs, Graham wasn't the final boss, and I definitely like the final battle between Setsuna and Ribbons.

Again, I am waiting for the next Haman Khan to show up in any Gundam or mecha anime. I will give kudos to Code Geass for having plenty of interesting gals, as 00 was seriously lacking of it in S2. I'll post a separate thread on Stargazer later on.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
AceWhatever

Congrats on finishing both the Gundam round-up and the reviews of the big 3 mech shows of last year.

I don't know why you guys cattle-prod Nena & Wang but give Ali & Graham free passes. Ali was very active during S1 and only became a superfluous Yazan in S2. What was even the point of him surviving S1? There's nothing he did that couldn't have been done by another throwaway innovator.

Graham's case is even worse because he's completely detached from the plot in S2. What's so special about what he did compared to Zechs using Oz resources to repair Wing Gundam and getting Heero to the Antartic so that he can duel with him?
Kavik Ryx

Kaioshin Sama wrote: Thanks for the recognition by the way. To be honored by one of the pillars of mecha fandom means a lot to me.
Just wait for Sorrow-kun to try to beat upi down again. :twisted:
AceWhatever wrote: I don't know why you guys cattle-prod Nena & Wang but give Ali & Graham free passes. Ali was very active during S1 and only became a superfluous Yazan in S2. What was even the point of him surviving S1? There's nothing he did that couldn't have been done by another throwaway innovator.

Graham's case is even worse because he's completely detached from the plot in S2. What's so special about what he did compared to Zechs using Oz resources to repair Wing Gundam and getting Heero to the Antartic so that he can duel with him?
I'd have to agree on this to an extent. About Ali, yes, the show could have gone on just was well without him. I guess the same for Graham. However, with Graham, it is done with a certain amount of self-awareness, which does what it can to degrade him.
skyknight

On to Stargazer, which I posted earlier on the Gundamn! for SEED Destiny, it was a better series than the entire SEED Destiny, even the mecha designs were better.

It was a pity that it was made up of three 15-min eps, and maybe as Chris mentioned - an all promo for the Destiny MSV model line, but I did like the other perspective from different people in the universe of SEED (man, I also enjoy the short PV for Astray!). Unfortunately, the first ep was the best, while the remaining were OK.

The first ep had the most character dynamics, especially between Selene and Edmond; it did raise the question about the differences in Naturals and Coordinators, such as intelligence and romance - clearly Edmond is in love with Selene, but there are gaps between them, such as ideology, knowledge, and age (according to official website, Ed is more than 10 years older than Selene). And man, what Ed did was GREAT! Though he died at the end of ep.1, he was able to take out a GINN with a tank, and protected Selene's spaceflight, which did bring back some flashbacks from Gundam 0080 ep.1 for me.

It was a BIG shock for me at the end of ep.1 to see the pilots of the GINN were actually children, which add more tragedy to the SEED universe, I mean when kids start piloting MS killing civilians right after a massive colony drop, that is so WRONG! But of course they want revenge on the Earth Alliance for the Bloody Valentine Massacre. And I actually wish this event should be added into SEED Destiny, to make it stronger in the early storyline. BUT then the following eps just fall back to SEED/Destiny - the Earth Alliance is the MOST EVIL, wahaha... :x

I did agree with Chris' review about Sven being a better developed character than most of the SEED/Destiny, and Sven's past is more tragic than Shin's - Sven had no choice, but Shin did. And I agree the term Stargazer can refer to several things in the series, such as Sven, whom lost his dreams of going into space when his parents died.

SIDENOTE:
I am aware of people's ruse over the roles of Ali and Graham in 00 S2, here's my take. Ali has the most blood in his hands, and it is fitting to see him get whats-coming-at-him in S2, and he does his job well as a hit man for the Innovators (burning down a nation, interfering with CB). Graham is more of the tragic figure to see how the Gundams changed his world; in S2 he is totally absorbed by his obsession for the Gundams, he isn't the same as S1 where he was a caring team leader. I don't know how many were taken in at Graham's final defeat, when the "mask" of Masturo was fallen, that he had been wasting his last 5 years for almost nothing.

Nena and Wang almost remain the same for S2 and had little screen time, which doesn't help much. I was hoping for Nena to "grow up" a bit, but then again she is a spoiled brat just as Wang is, however she does have some special abilities such as the quantum brave waves, which could've make her a wild-card character in critical times, i.e. would CB ever make a compromise to work with Nena? Wang, I think I said enough on her in several of my earlier posts. So I leave it there.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
liubei013

Great episode here and a congrats on wrapping up both 00 reviews and the Gundam round-up.

Was it just me or did there seem to be less of an "AT LAST! FINALLY!" attitude in comparison to the dual Code Geass/Macross Frontier review wrap-up?

Anyways, just downloaded ep 34 so I can listen to the crazine-I mean, greatness that is Gundamn!

Since I can't directly post hosted images, I linked a few (I believe to be) appropriate XBox-esque Achievements for this episode, courtesy of http://achievements.schrankmonster.de/.

Achievement1
Achievement2
Achievement3
Achievement4
hawk of endymion

Vent Noir wrote:So... onto Macross Roundup now?
Not for awhile. But it will happen.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]