Ep. 032 - 9th Wonder

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Ep. 032 - 9th Wonder

Seraphic wrote:If you keep it up, you'll end up as a mean old man, Chris
'Fraid it's too late for that :wink:

I don't have any strong emotions for Igloo either way. I enjoyed watching it, but nothing to write home about (except maybe the CG). None of the Apocalypse eps ever measured up to the awesomeness that was the ep with the druggy tank pilot.

And I'm afraid that Marina cannot become a Gundam. There's already a far more suitable candidate :D

I found MAHQ back when SEED was still airing. Seeing line art of the Freedom is what made me decide to watch the series (back when I only wanted cool robots). I had already seen Wing and X before hand.

But yeah, back then I'd never dream that I would be where I am today. I was just a humble vistor, and just look at me now! I've actually been contributing to the content of the site for 4 years.

I gotta get to work and finish up my Diebuster reviews and start on Rayearth, and do some SRW profiles.

Looking at all the work I have to do, I can't imagine the amount of work the people running the entire site have to do. So big props to Chris, Dale, and everyone else involved for staying alive this long.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hotlimit

Just as Neo said, being able to read the history of the mechs and how they fit into the series really makes MAHQ an experience above the rest.
snoops619

Oh, and I can't believe I didn't mention this before but, loving the Heroes reference!
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
skyknight

Oh boy, nine years...

I'll skip the IGLOO, not much a fan of that. 9 years, man, that makes me feel old. OK, I'll be honest here, at first I was a primary visitor of the new defunct Newtype Asylum (anyone here know where the dudes are?) and Gundam Project (you did great work, Mark!), and MAHQ was more as place for "geek" details (specs, pilots...). But as the content of MAHQ increased, and other mecha fansites going down :cry: , MAHQ became the #1 site for my mecha anime.

Well, don't like to nitpick you guys, but the anime that did discuss the issue of unfair division of wealth, as in whether or not ordinary civilians should be aware of it, wasn't first brought up in Gundam 00, but rather in the highly UNDERRATED anime Planetes (I can be wrong, but correct me if there is one); and in fact I do agree with Soul Bro Ryu, it is the harsh reality that I think many Americans aren't aware of. I mean how many in this world that has a PC, iPod, cell phone, cable TV, car..., not many if you look at the world of 6 billion+ people. But that should be left to ourselves to decide.

And I did take in at the end segment on challenging listeners/readers to do more than just post threads. I do remember as a student with plenty of time building gunpla kits, photographing them, and reviewing them on Newtype Asylum; and I appreciated the feedback that Dr.Core and Nightingale gave me. But again you gotta have free time to do those, and I haven't build a gunpla in over 3 years :oops:

But thanks to all of you here at MAHQ, and I do hope to see you guys for another 9 years! :D
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
thanatos

skyknight wrote:Well, don't like to nitpick you guys, but the anime that did discuss the issue of unfair division of wealth, as in whether or not ordinary civilians should be aware of it, wasn't first brought up in Gundam 00, but rather in the highly UNDERRATED anime Planetes (I can be wrong, but correct me if there is one); and in fact I do agree with Soul Bro Ryu, it is the harsh reality that I think many Americans aren't aware of.
I can't second this enough. I'm not following Gundam 00 so I can't compare the two, but I can't recommend Planetes enough. As skynight says, it's incredibly realistic in terms of politics, but also in terms of its technological realism. Easily the best hard sci-fi anime I've ever seen.

I'd love to see a Mecha Spotlight done on Planetes. Frankly, I'd like any Mecha Spotlight segment. What ever happened to the Mecha Spotlight Gundamn!?
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
Destiny_Gundam

thanatos wrote:Frankly, I'd like any Mecha Spotlight segment. What ever happened to the Mecha Spotlight Gundamn!?
It got pushed aside by the Gundam roundup. But since those are almost over...

About Planetes, I've seen the first few eps, and my friend keeps telling me to watch it, but frankly, I'm not interested. It didn't put me to sleep like Flag did, but since I've already been spoiled on the events of Planetes, I have no desire to actually watch it.

If I want hard sci-fi, I'll just stick with Moonlight Mile

... and Rocket Girls.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
skyknight

but since I've already been spoiled on the events of Planetes, I have no desire to actually watch it.
Well I think you still should try to finish the series, as it had one of the best character developments in anime, and one of the most realistic take on orbital space exploration. But of course it could that the series doesn't have any eye-catching characters, nor over-the-top high octane action sequences that draw many fans in the first place.

BUT if you ever, EVER consider yourself a fan of space exploration, you owe it to yourself to watch Planetes, and wonder how far is the series from real life.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Momaru

Man, I listened to the Neos News segment for this episode and I have got to say I think that Chris may have something personal against me. I am not sure what I have done, but he really seems to hate me especially since he keeps banning me from the forums. Chris even went as far as to say he'll hate me 'till his last breath? Wow. Anyways, I still really enjoyed the segment and thought it was really funny even though Chris ragged on poor old me for most of it. I'll be sure to keep on submitting the sort of news that angers Chris. :D Oh, I've also got to congradulate MAHQ on another great year. Here's to many more! I know it's going to be a bit late, but I've got something good planned to help celebrate. EDIT:Oh, after listening to the episode, I really liked the MAHQ annaverseary segment. It was really really funny. Congrads on 9 years MAHQ, and here's to many more! The issue that Gundam 00 brings up about the distrobution of wealth and if the general population was to blame for the rise of the A-Laws really intrigued me. Perhaps it deserves a bit more talk. Also, did Soulbro get replaced by evil mecha Soulbro? Something odd but quite funny happened to his voice for a while and it kinda made me wonder if he's been replaced by a computer.
Last edited by Momaru on Wed May 13, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Momaru wrote:Man, I listened to the Neos News segment for this episode and I have got to say I think that Chris may have something personal against me. I am not sure what I have done, but he really seems to hate me especially since he keeps banning me from the forums. Chris even went as far as to say he'll hate me 'till his last breath? Wow. Anyways, I still really enjoyed the segment and thought it was really funny even though Chris ragged on poor old me for most of it. I'll be sure to keep on submitting the sort of news that angers Chris. :D Oh, I've also got to congradulate MAHQ on another great year. Here's to many more! I know it's going to be a bit late, but I've got something good planned to help celebrate.
Yeah, he does really "hate you". I'm surprise you still get on. I need more stories like Pundam to keep Chris' blood pressure high.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
AnimeMun

Just finished listening. Found it hilarious that the fanboy voice used channels Bob the Cat of www.neptunecircle.com. Regardless, congrats on 9 beam-spammin' years and may many more explosions and plot shields come!
A supporter of the HARO mafia.

The Cross-Culture Hero.

This should probably be a secret but... MY NAME IS ANIME-MUN!
Mu La Flaga

Stargazer segment was interesting to listen to wanted to see this for a long but never had the chance so was interesting to get some info on it all in all.

Also the troll segment for MAHQ's 9th anniversary was hillarious and I hope MAHQ will be around for quite a while.