Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 23-11-10

The place to share your artwork.
SolidSpidr

Re: Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 17-04-09

Hey, better late than never right? :oops:
What you did to the foot is exactly what I was trying to say, well done, it looks awesome now.

Your Gendarme is also a very nice design. I especially like the gun, it just looks awesome. It does seem a little out of proportion in that the entire upper half is larger than it should be. A increase in the leg size should fix the problem.

BFGs always make mecha better. The firing position you drew up for the Panther G-2 looks like it would work but I get this feeling that the left arm would recoil at the elbow into the left hip guard when fired.

Wow, that's quite a difference in designs. Your's has a much more mechanical feel to it. The pair of BFCs on the top really make the design and I also like the blockyness of the top half of the legs. Altogether the design flows really nicely, can't wait to see what you come up with next.
“The school of the undefeated East!”
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
“Look! The East is burning red!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
young_oldtype

I'm not really that used to drawing quads though. Rahab's the first four-legged mech I did in years (literally). I actually combined real robot, super robot and battleship elements to do that one. And voila, we got a zoidish mech!

Gendarme sure needed that leg pimp-up. But hey, she's still in the prototype stage, which means I can still get away with it. :lol: Anyway, I dare not mention this before, but the rifle is actually inspired by that of the Throne Eins'.
SolidSpidr wrote:BFGs always make mecha better. The firing position you drew up for the Panther G-2 looks like it would work but I get this feeling that the left arm would recoil at the elbow into the left hip guard when fired.
Much of the recoil's harnessed by the loading mechanism so, I guess it's still safe. Otherwise, you can blame my usual illustration issues for that. :P
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN:
Praxis
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I got a look at the original Pedestals, and I have to say your variation on Rahab was really interesting. It sure does diverge from the original design! I feel like fighting that thing for some reason. I can already pick out a bunch of blind spots it has, haha.

If you want to make Rahab faster, you may want to consider making its hind legs longer, but they'd crouch lower when he's just standing like that. He's got a whole elephant feel to him right now. =p And I sure hope the fellow sticking out the top isn't too bothered by that cannon's shock and recoil.

Your lineart is very clean and organized here. But the contrast between the front of Rahab and its legs stands out a bit too much. You see, the front has a very organic geometry while the legs look extremely blocky. You might consider streamlining this somehow. Either make the front blocky, smooth out the legs, or maybe come to some in-between compromise.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
young_oldtype

That geometric contrast sure is the result of randomly popping ideas. Making the front blocky is probably the best option I can consider. That is, if I'm not lazy enough for another redesign. :P
Seraphic wrote:If you want to make Rahab faster, you may want to consider making its hind legs longer, but they'd crouch lower when he's just standing like that. He's got a whole elephant feel to him right now. =p And I sure hope the fellow sticking out the top isn't too bothered by that cannon's shock and recoil.
Er, I suppose I've drawn Rahab with a bull deity in mind. :| Anyway, I don't think I'd need to make it faster since my aesthetics there dictate heavy armor and raw firepower. And of course, it's meant to crouch as low as possible when firing.

As for the guy on top, well he's been sitting there all the time so I guess he's already used to it. Anyway, how hard is the recoil from particle cannons? Answer's appreciated much, and that should help in the future. :wink:
I can already pick out a bunch of blind spots it has, haha.
Attack from the sides, since I bothered not putting broadside weapons and sideways articulation in the torso. Just watch out for the tail. :P
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Seraphic

You could also just sit directly in front of its face, since you'd be above the little turret and underneath the main cannon. I just don't know if he has eye lasers or something. ^^;

And sorry about not seeing that it was a bull. o.o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

young_oldtype

I've been thinking before about the mouthplate opening to reveal some weapons but somehow, I got it trashed.
Seraphic wrote:And sorry about not seeing that it was a bull. o.o
Actually, IRL, people have been commenting that it actually looks like an elephant too. :lol:

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
young_oldtype

Back again with a follow-up for Rahab. I finally got the go signal and spent half my daylight waking hours working on this guy, another redesign. I've been doing no more than inking actually, as I've already finished the pencil sketch last week or so. Feel free to flame children.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
SolidSpidr

Re: Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 24-04-09

Holy ZOINKS! :shock: That is one epic quad. So sleak, so sexy. I think the only thing you could do to make it better would be to color it.

Since you've done the other two I'll assume that we'll see your version of the Sariel?
“The school of the undefeated East!”
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
“Look! The East is burning red!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
young_oldtype

I doubt I could actually do Sariel since the original designer already redesigned him here.
SolidSpidr wrote:So sleak, so sexy. I think the only thing you could do to make it better would be to color it.
Hmm, I guess I'll be giving that responsibility to the original designer for him to put his personal touch to the work. Or he may simply ask me to do it. :P Either way would be fine for me.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Seraphic

Your stuff is starting to remind me of Junya Ishigaki's work. Have a look through the gallery and you'll know what I mean. :wink: I consider him the god of lineart, if you didn't know.

As for Whatshisface here, I'm thoroughly impressed. Your penwork is pretty damn steady, too. I'm not one for fan-ish wing binders (a repulsion for Freedom and its variants) but I definitely do like your work on the legs. Very organic! Centipede legs on a snake is also pretty neat, haha. Aside from the near useless design of the wings, I don't see any problems in this at all. (I'm just being a dick though, so you can ignore me.)

Very good work, sir. =o
-Antares

young_oldtype

Seraphic wrote:Your stuff is starting to remind me of Junya Ishigaki's work. Have a look through the gallery and you'll know what I mean. :wink: I consider him the god of lineart, if you didn't know.
Ah, the designer of my beloved Jegan and countless AW and UC grunts. I've only seen his cleaned-up works in MAHQ's mecha section so far, and now, I'm really impressed by his gallery's lineart.
As for Whatshisface here, I'm thoroughly impressed. Your penwork is pretty damn steady, too. I'm not one for fan-ish wing binders (a repulsion for Freedom and its variants) but I definitely do like your work on the legs. Very organic! Centipede legs on a snake is also pretty neat, haha. Aside from the near useless design of the wings, I don't see any problems in this at all. (I'm just being a dick though, so you can ignore me.)

Very good work, sir. =o
Thanks. Actually up close, the lines are pretty much jagged, and the human's face is a bit distorted, so I did some cover-up by shrinking the file a bit. About the wings, well I was trying to retain the original design feature, plus I think it looks cool at that. Not to mention I fell in love with the original Freedom's design during its debut in SEED. :P

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
young_oldtype

Hiya children, the Oldtype's back. Got no mech yet however, as I've spent the past week on character design. So here they go:

Sam Albright-the lead female in that story in my head, not the protagonist :P (uncolored lineart)

Anselm Cassius a. k. a. Lord Commander/Emperor Anselm-some totalitarian revolutionist; self-proclaimed emperor of the Martian surface colonies (uncolored lineart)

Godwin "Steelhead" Avalon-the enigmatic commander of the Heliadon Armed Forces; Anselm's right hand man and loyal supporter, most likely traitor-villain candidate (uncolored lineart)

Used crashlegacy14's line-lifting technique and the pen tool for most of the coloring. Godwin's the odd one though, since I mostly used the brush tool on him. Need more to flame? Here's Gihren.

PS: Awesome e-book. Highly recommended. 8)
Last edited by young_oldtype on Tue May 05, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Seraphic

Re: Mechs and Whatnot by Young_Oldtype: Updated as of 04-05-09

I have not forgotten!

A lot of good work here, sir. Actually, I think that you'll be leaving me in the dust pretty soon. I need to set some more time aside. God. :roll:

Good work on the hands! d( ' , ' )b You're pretty good at drawing old men. It's usually pretty difficult for people who study anime-styled characters. Anselm is my particular favorite here. Godwin's forearms are too long. You could fix this if you realize that when you fold your arms, your elbows actually come forward instead of staying at your sides.

If I can be honest, Sam's expression is giving me the heeby jeebies. D: Her face may be drawn too large compared to the size of her head. I have problems with this whenver I'm starting a character drawing, but I do my best to fix it along the way. Also, I know she's only 15, but she has no hips whatsoever. I'm a dude, and even I have better defined hips than she does. (HEY!! STOP IMAGINING ME!! >=o ) Remember, this is one main thing that sets male and female characters apart. If I met Sam, I might call her a stick. Don't take this as an insult to you or your drawing. It's just a joke I have with my sisters and myself. I refer to very thin and curveless girls as sticks. "It's the stick!"

(And if you're trying to give her a nice rack, try some more shading to define the shape a little better.) *ahem* >,> (explicit advice lol)

Thanks for being brave and showing us your characters. Very interesting! I hope to see further developments. And by the way, what was that P.S. at the end of your post??
-Antares

young_oldtype

Brave? You'd rather call it thick-skinned! :P And what's with the post scriptum? Well, it's a link for an e-book everyone must check out. Thank my utterly crappy connection, the linky didn't make it on last night's post. Fortunately, there's the edit function.

Thanks for the input on Sam too. Since I'm pretty much geared up to draw my characters and she's the lead female (and since people are far easier to do than mechs ;) ), I guess I'll have to redraw her by this week or the next. I'll just have to fix the hips and face, right?

Hopefully I could redraw Godwin too. I still don't have much source of inspiration for Anselm so, I think I'll leave him as is. I'll be posting updates on them soon.
Seraphic wrote:I'm a dude, and even I have better defined hips than she does. (HEY!! STOP IMAGINING ME!! >=o )
Mmm, something for my grill. Slow roast would be nice :twisted: .

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Seraphic

AN E-BOOK! Why didn't I ever think of that??

Seriously, that was a good find, sir. To be honest, I'm a little too lazy to practice most of those techniques, but what I found most helpful about that book is the troubleshooting section. That's actually how I learn to draw: by making mistakes and fixing them later. It was great to see this happen for all kinds of drawings, too. I didn't find some specific things I was looking for though. =p
-Antares

TGping

I favorited that quad mecha, very nice. Gonna have a more in depth look at your gallery later...
young_oldtype

Oh hey, TGping's here :D . I've just added you on my watchlist. Welcome to Mechatalk.
Seraphic wrote:Seriously, that was a good find, sir. To be honest, I'm a little too lazy to practice most of those techniques, but what I found most helpful about that book is the troubleshooting section. That's actually how I learn to draw: by making mistakes and fixing them later. It was great to see this happen for all kinds of drawings, too. I didn't find some specific things I was looking for though. =p
Lemme guess, a wardrobe section? Same problems here, as I kinda flunked much in character dress-ups. Hope they stream volume 2 too, and I hope it has that particular section in there. Or maybe I should go browse those two other e-books.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
Seraphic

Actually, not the wardrobe section, but the long section where they compared drawings between amateur's work and a professional's fixes. That was the part that I liked best. It showed what problems can occur and how to fix them. It was neat. Again, I learn through troubleshooting. I'm not sure if I need wardrobe help. I'm currently stumbling through that as everyone must be aware. =o

I think I just finished a new drawing I want to post up, but I really really need to grade these quizzes instead. >>;
-Antares

young_oldtype

Yep, the troubleshooting section is probably the best around. Explains much of the most common errors (including my usual habits) and how pros fix 'em. So, no more unnecessary gestures. :P

See bullcrap here.
Praxis
young_oldtype

WARNING: Eyesore ahead.

Well I colored this guy out of boredom last night. Did my best to convey wilderness camouflage and drabness on that Panther. So what do you think of the paint job guys? Opinions, reactions, critiques and colony drops are absolutely welcome.

See bullcrap here.
Praxis