Chapter 21: Waves of Sorrow [Earth]

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
Omega

Re: Chapter 21: Waves of Sorrow [Earth]

-Zaine-

He decided to make it a bit more apparent that what Emily did actually did some good...

"Never thought i'd find myself saying this, but thanks for that..." He said as he rested a hand on her shoulder. Gently and carefully, He managed to get to his feet. "I actually needed some sense knocked into me..."
Zangetsu

-Zangetsu-

'Well now that introductins are out of the way.' Thought Zangetsu as he calmed down and the redness receded. "To responed to your earlier question I'm thinking about a guiy Reimi just told me about. His name is Shadow. Aparently he is a Fandom pilot who drives a blue Tieren of some type. Ring any bells? By the way, what are you doing out here Gai?"
"Paladin Anderson, Executioner Anderson, Bayonet Anderson, Dust to Dust Anderson, Assassin Anderson, Regenerator Anderson, Killing Judge Anderson"-Millennium Soldiers
Cybaster

-Emily-

As Zaine leaned on her and stood back up, Emily lost her unapologetic look and smiled back, placing her hands into her pockets. The moment Zaine touched her, Emily could feel his gratefulness --- and that, in turn, made Emily feel happier about the entire deal. Optimism was much stronger than aggression, indeed; Feeling that gratefulness reminded her of the euphoria she felt when she was training with Morpheus. It made her feel needed again...and satisfied.

"Don't mention it," Emily nodded, and shuffled guiltily as she lowered her head. "I just hoped I hadn't done too much Subdual Damage on you. Wasn't expecting that Natural 20 on the Attack Roll --- It's Critical Hits on the groin like that that make me glad I'm not a boy..."
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Strike Zero

- Elya -

"Hmm..." was Elya's reply. "Not sure. I think that Shadow might be down here -- that was the last I'd heard from him anyway. I know that Marlene-neechan, Zephyr and Cain are all in space."

She paused.

"Now that I think of it though... I haven't heard anything about Miser for a while now either. Maybe she's here on Earth too...?"

Strike took a step forward. "I have a question. Just one out of curiosity."

Elya looked. "What's up?"

“When you mentioned the Reapers, you referred to them as the ‘Chariot’, ‘Hanged Man’ and ‘Devil’, right?”

“Hm? Oh, yeah. That’s right. What about it?”

“Well..." Strike said, folding his arms. "If I remember everything that I've garnered from mindlessly sifting through the internet for hours on end... those are three of the twenty-two major Arcana that can be found in the ancient deck of Tarot, right? Why do those three have titles from there? Just because they‘re the Reapers?”

Elya smiled sheepishly. “Well… truth be told, it’s not exactly something exclusive to them.”

“What do you mean?”

The little girl crossed her legs and sat up straighter, rustling the sheets around her. “All of us have titles. It’s just that we never use them because… well, it’s just a lot faster to not have to say the whole thing, right?"

Strike raised an eyebrow. “So you have a title too?”

“Uh-huh." Elya grinned and pointed a finger at her cheek. "Officially, I'm known as 'Elya the Star'. Cool, huh?”

“The Star? Yeah… I guess that makes sense.” Strike rubbed as his chin thoughtfully. "So that means that each of the Knights is named for one of the major Arcana?"

“Uh-huh. I mean, I guess. When Marlene-neechan joined, the Prince called her the ‘Fool’. I always thought that was kind of funny. Berith was actually the 'Heirophant', and Leon-niisan was the 'Magician’. Black Mage, meanwhile, was the ‘Temperance’ and I think Wraith was the ‘Death’, but those two never really made any sense to me…

“There was also Byakuya the Emperor, Zephyr the Hermit, Shadow the Fortune, and Cain and Miser are the ‘Moon’ and ‘Priestess’. I think that's all of them.”

Strike frowned. “Wait, all of them? But that's only fourteen."

“Huh?”

The young man folded his arms again. “There are twenty-two Arcana right? Counting the Reapers, you only listed fourteen. That still leaves eight unaccounted for.

“Oh. Hm..."

Elya frowned then shrugged. "Well, then I guess there are eight more Knights I didn’t know about…?”

Strike’s frown deepened. Eight more Knights? Strike hoped it was just that the Prince didn’t have any more to fill out the titles. But if that wasn't the case and there were indeed eight more, and if Elya wasn't aware of their existance, then they were probably also a part of the “Reapers” she was talking about earlier… which in turn indicated that they were all the more dangerous.

There was nothing to do about it, however, but to watch and wait for the moment they chose to show themselves…
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Sume Gai

Sume Gai

"blue... tieren...?" one could almost see three dots appear over Gai's head. "Happens to maybe have a GN beam rifle with a Saber attached? er... yeah I fought him when Zero attacked us and beat him. He was raving about Wan and seemed to like copying him for some reason."

Gai Shrugged, he hadn't really thought much of Wan's copycat with Tallis' rescue on mind.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Omega

-Zaine-

He smiled back at Emily before gently ruffling her hair with his left hand...

"Don't worry about it..." The attack roll bit sounded kinda familiar, but he wasn't sure where he heard it from... "And yeah, be glad you're a girl..." He decided to walk off, but however, left the two with some parting words. "...Kirie? When you do decide to ask Emily out, try not to kiss her on the first date."

-Reimi-

"Well... I can explain that part..." She shared the little bit about Wan being Shadow's father with Gai. "He's likely mad at you for killing his father."
Zangetsu

-Zangetsu-

"So it is the Tieren All Terain Type after all. Shouldn't be to much of a problem as far as the mech goes. How good is the pilot Gai? Any pointers you can give about fighting him?" Zangetsu asked before stopping to ask a more serious question. "I have a favor to ask Gai. If we encounter this guy on the battlefield, leave him to me. I'm want to be the one top take him down."
"Paladin Anderson, Executioner Anderson, Bayonet Anderson, Dust to Dust Anderson, Assassin Anderson, Regenerator Anderson, Killing Judge Anderson"-Millennium Soldiers
SNT1

--Juan Santi and Madame Bushido--

The General sits in an unknown location, drinking some coffee, and reading the newspapers. Plural, as in, newspapers from all over the world, trying to decipher what the world broadcast of a funeral is going to do. While, as seen on TV it boosts the morale of the Fandom grunts, it's also not a bad motivator for the Federation, who with just a couple of ships and ten OverFlags were able to put the Fandom into the defensive, and kill a decorated war hero. "So what do you think?" He asks.

The odd woman lurked in the shadows, sipping some decaf. She only smirks, saying, "They're more erratic than the loonies that I've fought before, but they're not that good. "

"Will you join the Federation in their next battle? You might have more fun taking out the orange funnel-equipped Gundam if you manage to isolate it."

"Hmm, she's pretty good, but the rest are a bit... lackluster for my Xi..."

"Regardless, you may have to do more than that whether you like it or not, they'll no doubt chase after you after touching that unit even once."

"Hmph," was Bushido's uninterested reply.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
legacygundam

(Ayeyayayayay. So this is what happens while I'm at work. Insanity XD. Oh well, sorry for taking so long, work does that to me XD)

Kyle heard someone approaching, and if he was unsure if it was for him, the person's loud "Hey" caught his attention. Turning to the person, he saw that it was a woman. He was about to respond to her when someone else approached from behind him, this person a man. This one asked a question, so it was easier for him to answer. He noticed that he had the mark of a Sergeant, which made him outrank Kyle, who immediately snapped to attention and saluted the man. "Ensign Kyle Raikou, recently transferred to this unit from the DC training base located in North America. I am in charge of testing the new Huckebein model Mark II, which has been equipped with a GN drive." Kyle kept his arm up, waiting for the man to either tell him to be at ease or to issue an order, as he had been taught. As he stood there, he looked at both the man's unit and the woman's unit. The red one which the girl had come from was the ZGMF-X23S Saviour Gundam. It had been detailed in his report. And as for the man's.... it looked like the GB-9700 Gundam Belphagor. Did that mean this man was the man known to some as the "Ghost?" Only time would tell Kyle that answer.
Sume Gai

Sume Gai

Gai could have come up with half a dozen theories bout why Shadow acted the way he did but never would he have guessed the truth Reimi purposed. Gai's jaw went slack in utter bewilderment.

"Wha-huh?" Then Zangetsu, seemingly unperturbed by this revelation, asked about the pilot's skill. Gai managed to compose himself with a cough and answered

"Well as I said he uses Wan's tactics, he attacks your mind with his newtype powers and tries to gun you down but that's not to say he doesn't have skill. Take comfort in one thing, neither his mental force or his piloting skills are quite up to the same level as Wan's were. As for pointers Make sure you guard your mind and the rest is matching his skills. If you're certain then I won't interfere."

-Altair/???-

The Valhalla was rather quite they hadn't even been forced to launch during Zero's raid. Today, however, something interesting would happen.

"Sir." Sylvia's voice broke the relax atmosphere "I'm getting a transmission from japan."

"Japan?" That was unusual. As far as he knew no DC operatives were currently in Japan.

"The Codes are old... but they're valid" Sylvia couldn't prevent a note of curiosity from welling up in her usually serious voice

"Right, put it through" Hallen motioned his acknowledgment and then returned to to his usual arms crossed pose. the holographic screen appeared in front of him and soon it resolved into a face he hadn't seen in a long time. "Lt. jg KITAI correct? to what do I owe the honors?"

Kit had a look of irritation on her face something that most would find odd coming from an AI, her voice matched the expression. "finally! Ryker ignored me and it took for ever to get tuned to the Valhalla's frequency. Captain I need to speak with doctor Bian, urgently!"

Hallen was left a bit confused but responded with the same authority as Always "Could you tell me why Lt? Bian is a busy man."

"yes yes I know but this is Important. Tall him it might be a chance to form an alliance with the Free Federation."

"right I'll try to forward you."
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

Zangetsu

-Zangetsu-

He let out a bit of a laugh seeing Gai's reaction to Reimi's revilation about Wan and Shadow. "So, Shadow has skills and fights like Wan inside a Tieren." Zangetsu's mind couldn't put it all together easily. "Gease! I don't really get an idea what to expect. The don't think I ever reaslly fought Wan, but he did attack me once with his newtype powers. If this guy is doing things like that it'll be a fun fight. Since Lowind joined us I haven't really had a good opponent."

Then he turned slightly to Reimi and smiled. "Of course I'll remember to finish him for you, Reimi. I did promise after all. I tend to like fighting a little too much. Especialy when the opponent is supossed to be tough." Zangetsu's looked then changed to puzzled. "You know, I wonder how good my newtype pwers are now. I haven't bother to test it or anything since Zaraki left."
Last edited by Zangetsu on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybaster

-Morpheus and Masamune-

"Elya the Star..." Masamune muttered, running the words into his mind; After a moment's pause, Masamune nodded in fond approval. "...Definitely has a nice ring to it."

"Or perhaps the Nova Prince doesn't have any suitable candidates for those eight remaining titles...yet." Morpheus interjected, lifting his head slightly; Given what Kirie told him of Elya's abilities and the previous fighting styles of Leon Bolt and Berith Darlford, those titles at least meant something in some form or another; Black Mage being "Temperence" possibly plays into Kirie's previous suspicions about Maya Nightwizard as well. However, those three Reapers Elya had just described...did those titles apply to their combat styles as well or simply their personalities? "The Dark Star Knights are a tight-knit, strict organization and the Prince has an excellent eye for talent, albeit for evil --- I wouldn't be surprised if the Nova Prince's selection doesn't give him enough candidates for all those titles in a hurry or even to replace those he had lost, especially since two of those had perished and two more had left."

Morpheus gave a pause, chuckling in amusement briefly; Then again, the titles the Light Warriors gave themselves don't necessarily fit their personas, either --- Emily was no longer just a Gamer, Kirie was not just an ordinary Fighter with Sword-chucks, and Masamune didn't even remotely fit the title Emily had assigned to him. Not to mention that Black Mage didn't even have to have a callsign; But nonetheless, the Light Warriors were all assembled for one specific reason, one which was neither here nor there.

But would become very important in the days ahead.

"Are you alright, Elya? Can you continue?" Masamune suddenly asked with a tinge of concern in his voice, staring evenly at her with his eye. "I...no, wait, we don't want to push you too far if you're not comfortable, you know."

"It's fine. Just one more question." Morpheus raised a palm and pointed it at Masamune to halt his words. "So the Nova Prince simply appeared to you one day, offered you to be a Dark Star Knight...are you aware of how exactly the Nova Prince determines or finds suitable candidates?"
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Strike Zero

- Elya -

Elya's face took on a thoughtful expression, her hand rising up to rub at her chin. "Well..."

"I don't think I could have told you before... but I do remember something that he told me before he gave me his power, and before... before he took away my mind. He talked about something called Berith's 'special quality'. He said that Berith had been cold and calculating, but that he'd lost once he threw that away. Then later... he told me that I had a 'special quality' too. That it was my... 'potential', I think he said. He told me that I had lost that too. That was when..."

Elya shook her head. "I'm sorry... I'm not making much sense am I? It makes sense in my head though..."

Listening carefully, Strike shook his head. He understood well enough. Slowly, things were starting to make sense.

Berith and Elya... the two of them had had special characteristics about their persona that the Prince had valued. Berith's, it seemed, was his reservedness and tactical thinking in battle. Perhaps that was why he had been paired with Elya, an excitable youth whose strength was the potential for growth. It seemed that what allowed one to be among the elite, at least from the Nova Prince's perspective, was to have a unique quality that set you apart from all others... and once the Prince decided that quality was lost... then the bearers themselves too became worthless.

But wait...

That couldn't have been all there was to it. Now that the conclusion had been reached, there was now something that bothered Strike. Something he couldn't quite put his finger on. Something...

Just then, it hit him, and Strike's eyes widened with realization.

"Black Mage."

Elya looked up.

"What about Black Mage?"

Elya frowned. "What about him?"

"Why was he a Knight? What 'special quality' did he have?"

The young girl was now confused. "I... I don't know... Berith and me were the only ones I heard the Prince talk about."

"If the Prince has the ability to determine individuals who have outstanding characteristics..." Strike continued, "one that sets them apart from all others... that means that he is smart. No... it means he's wise. Wise enough to read the heart and mind of anybody almost perfectly."

Elya tilted her head. "I... don't really see what you're getting at."

"If that was true... if he could truly read he hearts and minds of another simply by observing them... why would offer a position among the Knights to Black Mage? Wouldn't he have been able to read his intentions too? Wouldn't he..."

Strike paused to catch his breath.

"Wouldn't he have been able to foresee that Black Mage would eventually betray him?

Elya stared, wide eyed at Strike. "Maybe... maybe he just misjudged him that time?"

That was indeed a possibility... but Strike had a hard time believing it. No... he wouldn't believe it. There was no way the leader of the Dark Star Knights would be able to overlook something so huge as the possibility of one of his closest subordinates betraying him. But if that was the case... why would he grant Black Mage a position of power? Why would he entrust him with the authority, and the close proximity to himself that went with being a Dark Star Knight?

"Why..." Strike murmured. "Why would he keep somebody traitorous so close?"

Maybe...

Maybe...

...the Prince had simply wanted to keep an eye on him?

But no... that couldn't be all the reason why.

...Could it?
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Kylern

-Kylern-

"Well then welcome Ensign to your new home." Kylern had noticed that the soldier had caught eyes on their mechs and it brought a small grin to his face. "I see your piloting one of those few GN drive units we have laying around. Pretty good, wonder if it can keep up with a Gundam in battle?" He laughed a little trying to show that he was joking around and not trying to to pick a fight.

"I'm Warrant Officer Kylern of the Belphagor and this is Rena who pilots the Saviour." It was a quick introduction and this his hands went into his pockets. "So tell me how many battles have you been in so far?" Hopefully this didn't get to personal...

-Bian-

He was indeed busy... Word had gotten back down to them that the hidden base in space was being "attacked" causing some issues to say the least. Then there was the restructuring of the islands defenses. The last thing he expected was an important call... He was told it was urgent so putting some paperwork aside he answered.

"What can I do for you?" He asked not sure who it was on the other side.
When the books are written will we be on the right side of history?
Totally Awesome Random Robot RPG
legacygundam

-Kyle-

Releasing his stance, he answered the officer's question. "To date, I have participated in 274 simulations, and one actual battle. This file contains the information about my piloting as well the data on this suit and my transfer files." Kyle reached into his pocket and retrieved a small disk, which he held out to Kylern so he could take it. So this man was indeed the man known as "Ghost" to many. Kyle wondered if he really lived up to his name or if it was just for show. And he didn't know anything about the woman, who's name he had been told was Rena.
Sume Gai

Edit: moved to new topic