Ep. 031 - Destiny Calls

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Congrats Neo. You've just joined the ranks of all those ass holes who made fun of me in high school. I hope you're proud of yourself 8)
That hurts. You said you didn't want to be called pedobear now, so you are now Peter from Windsor.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Destiny_Gundam

I meant your 'impression' of me is exactly what people used to do to tease me. It's why I think others find my voice annoying.

I'm over it, but hearing that high pitched tone brought back some annoying memories.

At least you didn't use that voice to go "PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR." That's another thing they did (and why I have a certain dislike for my name, too)... they also called me Spider-man. God I went to high school with a bunch of morons.

Anyways, you're a hell of a lot cooler than those guys, Neo, so I don't particularly mind. My use of the emoticon was to show that I wasn't being serious.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
T.V.

hawk of endymion wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Congrats Neo. You've just joined the ranks of all those ass holes who made fun of me in high school. I hope you're proud of yourself 8)
That hurts. You said you didn't want to be called pedobear now, so you are now Peter from Windsor.
The joke, despite hurting Peter/D_G, is made more hilarious thanks to this episode's title IMO. :P

Speaking of which, I didn't hear a lot from "Peter from Windsor" this episode, but then I wasn't really paying attention.
I'll have to listen again since I missed pretty much most of it, when I was too preoccupied to actually sit down and listen. :P

Anyway, still a great ep, based on the limited parts I did pay attention to.
Perhaps I'll chime in again after getting the whole gist. :P

P.S.
Compared to the early episodes you've all seem to have loosened up quite a bit, most noticably Chris, and it does make for an even more entertaining podcast! ;)
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I meant your 'impression' of me is exactly what people used to do to tease me. It's why I think others find my voice annoying.
Don't take my impression like others. We rag on you because we like you, look at Soul Bro. We beat the crap out of him everyday, just ask him.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:That's another thing they did (and why I have a certain dislike for my name, too)... they also called me Spider-man. God I went to high school with a bunch of morons..
Dude, being called Spider-Man is awesome. It's certainly better than elementary school, when people would call me Christopher Columbus.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

T.V. wrote:Speaking of which, I didn't hear a lot from "Peter from Windsor" this episode, but then I wasn't really paying attention.
Of course you didn't, cuz I wasn't in this episode. That's why I have a long ass post on the previous page.
hawk of endymion wrote:Don't take my impression like others. We rag on you because we like you, look at Soul Bro. We beat the crap out of him everyday, just ask him.
I know, and I know you had no idea such a thing would turn my TRAUMA SWITCH, ON! No worries. :D
Chris wrote:Dude, being called Spider-Man is awesome. It's certainly better than elementary school, when people would call me Christopher Columbus.
Not with the patronizing way they'd call me that. The fact that they'd always say "Hey Spider-man, catch any criminals lately?" EVERY time they saw me was really annoying.

Course back then I was a doormat so I never told them to knock it off. There was that one time I punched a guy in the face, though. Man, did that feel good.

Anyways... this thread isn't about how crappy high school was.
MindlessFire

There something that's been bugging me in the CE universe. I've only heard the "Gundam" spoken like less than 10 times in Destiny (not counting the credits) and hardly ever mentioned. It seems like only the previous cast from Seed called these type of undefeatable MS: Gundams. I mean in the other series they referred a Gundam MS as Gundam. I haven't seen SEED or Destiny for a while I was starting to forget if Shinn even realized that he was piloting a Gundam or Gundams killed his family.
hawk of endymion

MindlessFire wrote:There something that's been bugging me in the CE universe. I've only heard the "Gundam" spoken like less than 10 times in Destiny (not counting the credits) and hardly ever mentioned. It seems like only the previous cast from Seed called these type of undefeatable MS: Gundams. I mean in the other series they referred a Gundam MS as Gundam. I haven't seen SEED or Destiny for a while I was starting to forget if Shinn even realized that he was piloting a Gundam or Gundams killed his family.
In the original SEED, "GUNDAM" was the acronym of the OS on the boot-up. In Destiny, well, that was the least of the issues.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

skyknight

Alright time to let all the hate come out!!!

Destiny... there was plenty of WTF moments that my brother and I had when we watching the series several years ago. :evil:

The DAMN GUNDAMJACK in ep.1, WTF!? How would ZAFT let its Gundam get stolen easily? (The same can be asked for CG:R2's Guren SEITEN). And then ZAKU, GOUF, DOM, man WTF!? Those suits look a de-evolution from SEED's GINN, bold new designs were desperately for ZAFT side, and to be honest Murasame was a better grunt MS design from the SEED universe. Chaos, Gaia, and Abyss Gundams, WTF!? Why would ZAFT need these kind of MS (MA transformation, "dog"-mode, and underwater mode) in peace time/self-defense when they are in space? And yes, they are evil-looking and ugly as well.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg that this ship was heading into. Characters were worst here than in SEED; at first I was hoping Shin to be a different Gundam hero just like you guys, but man the screenwriters screw this one big time. Shin, whom I thought was going to be the angry Camile, just ended as a berserker who has no regards for others around him, as he hurts more than helps. The ladies just got bigger boobs, shorter skirts, and lesser brains: I thought with the info that Lunamaria had gathered (Meer as the fake Lacus, the hidden agenda within ZAFT), she would've be strong character, but NO. WTF, Lunamaria becomes Shin's love interest after Shin almost killed her sister and Athrun, and I didn't see any chemistry between Shin and her in the early eps, that just F'Up. The same as Talia as well, WTF for her decision to die with Gill, I would like to ask if there are any ladies that would do the same in the same position.

And WTF about Athrun and Cagalli's relationship, it doesn't make sense for them to split, and for Athrun to hook up with Meyrin, that is WTF. I remember seeing several sigs from other anime forum:
Athrun + Cagalli = Forever
Athrun + Meyrin = NEVER

Kira and Lacus having a spiritual love instead of physical love?

What is the worst thing about Destiny, it makes everything from SEEd worst. Such as Uzumi, I mean it was a bad decision that he and other senior leaders of Orb choose to end their life as Orb was falling into the Earth Alliance's hands and letting Cagalli live on her own, but guess what? WTF, that leaves a political vacuum for the Seiran family to take over, WTF another political marriage!? What era are they living in?

There's too much WTF that I'll stop here.
hotlimit

"The weapons suck on the Destiny, all it has is a giant sword and a gun."

I was playing Super Robot Wars the other day and thinking the exact same thing! I was like, wait, couldn't it teleport or something? I'm not too good at remembering anything from these shows, but I sure as heck remember a bunch of suits getting funnels at the end and the Destiny getting nothing.
ZeroBusterXX

When I heard their round-up of SEED DESTINY was I the only one that kept thinking of "A Typical Episode of Gundam SEED DESTINY" by Thundermuffin?
ThaDDeusBonzu

From the creators that brought you Soul Bros' Men...

Comes an all new List of people to make fun of....

Gundamn!@MAHQ Presents:

Chris' Boys

Starring ------------- General "Fatass" Goodman
-------------------------Arba Lindt
Co-Staring------------ Alejandro "Goldfinger" Corner

Coming (and going) in 2009

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist.
Hey, maybe if this catches on, everyone might lay off on Soul Bro and Saji
SDGO Taiwan ign: RougeMK
skyknight

OK, gonna need some fact check, is it just me, but I recall the early scenes with Rey and Gilbert, and it seems that Rey has that "man-love" blush whenever he sees Gilbert. Now given that Ikeda voiced Char, whom turns out to have the same taste as R.Kelly and Roman Polanski, is it possible that Gilbert prefers man-boy love over Talia (which I thought was a "convenient" relationship between the two)? But later Rey just becomes a soldier boy for Gilbert, where he later betrays Gil for the ideology of Kira!

As for the MS designs in Destiny, you gotta feel disappointed for most of them. I did like Strike Freedom, as the wings now houses the funnel bits; to me the original Freedom just felt like a spiced up Double-X (not the head, but the weapon layout) with some fancy wings. The Murasame was also a good design, and a trio of them were able to take out the Chaos Gundam; only to let Shin kill Sting later inside the Destroy Gundam, WTF!? :evil:

Savior Gundam was a good design as well, and too bad it was trashed after a short appearance. Destiny Gundam, I thought it received no love from the the mecha designers - it just looks like a normal Gundam with wings attached, along with a big-ass sword and a big-ass gun, along with all that gimmicky Gundam moves from previous works. Man what were they thinking when designed the Destiny Gundam? I thought the only redeem feature of the Destiny Gundam was the "bloody tears" in the head.

In the end of the day, I just don't have the words for all the hatred for SEED Destiny, given that spotty work in SEED, the production team should have been aware of the shortcomings in storyline, and they should have looked for seasoned writers. I don't think Bandai should ever revisit the SEED universe, unless they want release them in licensing products (videogames, gunpla...), because I think there is no way to save the entire Destiny series.

Will you guys cover any Gundam shorts, such as Stargazer? To me, Stargazer did a good job with a coherent storyline with interesting characters, all that within THREE 12-minute eps. Take that Destiny, you failed with 50 eps!
CanadaMan

Chris wrote:Dude, being called Spider-Man is awesome. It's certainly better than elementary school, when people would call me Christopher Columbus.
Better than going to a redneck school your entire life and having people ask if you're a green dinosaur and then where Mario is. Shit gets worse with each passing grade. This is what happens when "Yoshi" is 5/7ths of your name.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Kaioshin Sama

That original Freedom design that was mentioned that was basically a throw together of all the Strike packs....can anybody point me to a lineart that shows it as more or less the concept behind the Destiny Gundam?
AceWhatever

That's the thing. Chris said that it was a rejected concept, not a design.
Chris
Administrator

AceWhatever wrote:That's the thing. Chris said that it was a rejected concept, not a design.
No, it was an actual design - a top-heavy giant backpacked Gundam. The lineart was featured in Anime Insider about 5 years ago. What I said was the concept of combined packs was carried on to the Destiny, but there is an actual design of the early Freedom.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
thanatos

Good episode. Honestly I can't remember much of the smaller details of Destiny and I never watched the Final Plus ending so I'm not eager to revisit it.

What I do remember is liking Stella and thinking that her effect on Shin was about the only interesting part of his character. I believed their romance as much, if not more, those that between Kamille and Four or even Amuro and Lalah.

As for the mobile suits, I was really annoyed with the whole Zaku/Gouf/Dom thing. I've said it before but it bears repeating: it went beyond an homage and turned into cheap plagiarism.
Also, the Chaos Gundam is certainly the nadir of Gundam design outside of some of the G Gundam variations.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
Destiny_Gundam

Yeah, I have that issue of Anime Insider around here somewhere. The original Freedom design was a freakin tank. By comparison, the Destiny Gundam is pretty simplistic. Its backpack only consists of wings, and the folded up sword and cannon. I bet the original Freedom had a kitchen sink some where on there.
Kaioshin Sama

That "IT SUUUUUUUUCKS!" joke killed me when I heard it. :lol:

Pretty accurate to how I imagine the whiniest complainers sounding if I were to have a conversation with them in real life.